Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT
While I'm not a fan of Turner's in general - assuming he will be the guy - Taylor does have a long standing familiarity and comfort level with him and knows him extremely well. Hopefully that will prove very beneficial as the season progresses. 
Reply/Quote
We've heard a lot of rumors about the coaches Taylor wants to bring in.

It has ranged from his father in law to his former associates and colleagues while coaching in college.

My fear is that this team will just become another "good ol' boys' club" of friends of Taylor rather than the most qualified coaches.

This hiring would be the epitome of that ideology.

There is no reason we should hire an arguably homophobic and sexist coach. Why give him another chance to demean his players or the other faculty surrounding the team?

And that's not even getting into the fact that the coach isn't even that good...

I don't understand this hire at all and it would really put a damper on my excitement for the season.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:03 PM)McC Wrote: Like you said, it is PFT.  We don't even know if it's true yet.   /i haven't seen any verification yet.  Has anyone seen it anywhere else?

I actually heard his name about a week ago and mentioned it in another thread. I didn't like what the article said, which is from a couple of years ago. It didn't really delve into what happened, just mentioned he got in trouble for his power point at a charity event with lots of women attending.
I'm gonna go along with the HC on this hire. If he thinks Turner is the man, then so be it.
Reply/Quote
Shit. Nepotism again?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:03 PM)McC Wrote: Like you said, it is PFT.  We don't even know if it's true yet.   /i haven't seen any verification yet.  Has anyone seen it anywhere else?

Its per Paul Dehner and the Cincinnati Enquirer.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 11:29 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'm not asking for Mother Theresa. Give me a guy who can communicate and have these guys buying what he's selling. As you said, he's socially inept. Not sure who that'll work out, but I have a hard time thinking he can get the best out of our line with how he approaches teaching them.

He may be crude in his approach and some athletes like blunt approaches but he might turnoff some athletes as well.  I know many are disappointed in Taylor's choice and preferred Callahan as I do.  It would be nice to have high character players and coaches.  

With that said, Taylor has his people and has a plan.  I am willing to hold off judgments until the coach or player displays inappropriate behavior or behavior detrimental to the team.  Now if this Tuner guy is a total asswipe and embarrases the organization, then I will be on board for a replacement.  

Some preferred Pollack remain.  I was okay with him leaving because one, Taylor didn't think it was a good fit (similar to JDR), and two, I did not see improvement in the O-Line.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Unless Taylor knocks it out of the park with his DC pick, his hires have been underwhelming, especially this one. Of course, I was excited about last year's staff before the season (minus marvin) and we all saw how that turned out.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 02:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: He may be crude in his approach and some athletes like blunt approaches but he might turnoff some athletes as well.  I know many are disappointed in Taylor's choice and preferred Callahan as I do.  It would be nice to have high character players and coaches.  

With that said, Taylor has his people and has a plan.  I am willing to hold off judgments until the coach or player displays inappropriate behavior or behavior detrimental to the team.  Now if this Tuner guy is a total asswipe and embarrases the organization, then I will be on board for a replacement.  

Some preferred Pollack remain.  I was okay with him leaving because one, Taylor didn't think it was a good fit (similar to JDR), and two, I did not see improvement in the O-Line.  

Yes sir, I understand. But why would you even want to give someone that type of opportunity again? I am not judging how me may or may not do. I'm judging why we should even be considering him. Is he the last o-line coach that's available? Is he the only one that's available with ties to ZT, and that's what he's looking for? If it's the latter, we may be in some trouble. But I will not be quick to judge that until it happens, but that is my line of thinking on this.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
So, what I'm seeing quite a bit of is we will support him, but only if he hires who we want. Interesting. Maybe not so all in on him running his own show as originally expressed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 02:22 PM)McC Wrote: So, what I'm seeing quite a bit of is we will support him, but only if he hires who we want.  Interesting.  Maybe not so all in on him running his own show as originally expressed.

Not me

I will support him if he takes us to the playoffs and wins. I could care less who he hires to help him win.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 02:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Not me

I will support him if he takes us to the playoffs and wins. I could care less who he hires to help him win.

So you will support him at the end of the year and not until?  Sounds kinda bandwagon-ish.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 02:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: He may be crude in his approach and some athletes like blunt approaches but he might turnoff some athletes as well.  I know many are disappointed in Taylor's choice and preferred Callahan as I do.  It would be nice to have high character players and coaches.  

Which I found odd considering Pollack worked as an assistant to Callahan in Dallas...
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 02:22 PM)McC Wrote: So, what I'm seeing quite a bit of is we will support him, but only if he hires who we want.  Interesting.  Maybe not so all in on him running his own show as originally expressed.

From Zach Taylor's press conference:

Quote:Communication, character — those are two things that this thing will be built on,” Taylor told reporters on Tuesday. “I’m going to continue mention good people and having the right people. That’s coaches and players, because everyone has to have a shared vision and play for each other, and not just play for themselves. I have no concerns whatsoever that those people are in the building and will continue to add to that. The culture drives the program. Everyone runs the same plays, the X’s and O’s are all the same, but people dress it up a little bit differently. If everyone is playing for each other, then great things are going to happen for us.”
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 03:30 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: From Zach Taylor's press conference:

So Turner is out of the question...
Reply/Quote

Im down with whoever Taylor goes with for this season.  To be honest at this point most of the top name guys are already off the list and somewhere else or not willing to come here anyways.   Sure there guys I woulda liked to see come in here,  like JDR,  but for whatever reason thats not the case.  Let's wait and see how he does this next season,  what they need to do next off season and what they actually do next off season.  If these guys don't show any signs of life this coming up season and we don't go after better coaches then,  which would give us more time to pursue better coaches by then,  then we can complain about the ppl we have.  Me,  myself,  I've already counted the 2019 season as a wash.  If we make the playoffs,  awesome,  if not I wasn't thinking we would anyhow.  I've waited,  just like most of you old timers,  since 1988 for a Bengal playoff win.  The 90's was horrible,  at times I was ashamed to admit I was a Bengal fan,  Marvin came along and made us a contender again.  No playoff wins,  but still a contender,  I was proud again to claim to be a Bengal fan.  We waited and waited for Marvin to give us the big prize,  he never did,  was close a few times but still we waited.  After all these years I can wait again,  I feel and hope that ZT is the guy that can do this.  I just hope if not though its not another 16 years till they decide its time to move on again,  but I am willing to support them at least the next few years to give the guy a chance.

It's a change and Im willing to give any change at this point a chance.   Let's just sit back and pray for the best.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 11:54 AM)Okeana Wrote: 1 day in and already negative that didn't take long.

How long until we are allowed to have an opinion?

Do we have to love every player he takes in the draft?

Do we have to love every move made in free agency?

What I am seeing is a new head coach hiring a bunch of his old buddies with no experience who no other team in the league has shown any interest in.  I am hoping it all works out, but it seems a little sketchy to me.

Almost all good NFL coaches start pit as lowly position coaches, but they usually rise because they are so good at their job.  None of these guys really have the type of resume that has other NFL teams looking to hire them.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How long until we are allowed to have an opinion?

What I am seeing is a new head coach hiring a bunch of his old buddies with no experience who no other team in the league has shown any interest in.  I am hoping it all works out, but it seems a little sketchy to me.

Almost all good NFL coaches start pit as lowly position coaches, but they usually rise because they are so good at their job.  None of these guys really have the type of resume that has other NFL teams looking to hire them.

You mean Taylor is hiring coaches he knows and has worked with before? What a novel idea!

Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How long until we are allowed to have an opinion?

I totally get what your saying.  Everyone is allowed to have an opinion,  no you aint gotta like each person he brings in.  But you gotta at least give him a chance to work and see what happens.  

I get what your saying about the coaches too,  hell I would love to see some better names brought in,  but at this point in time its slim pickings to be honest.  Give em a chance to see what happens this next season,  if we gotta replace some people at the end of next season we'll have more opportunity to grab some.  For now it ain't gonna do much good to get all riled up over something we can't do shit about,  and they don't have a whole lotta top candidates to choose from.   
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:51 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't hold og against the guy. As much as I hated the pick, somebody (maybe this guy) made him effective enough to have  og go as a first round pick.

I'm ok with this choice, but my issue is more that we seem to be moving towards becoming a dolphins team from a few years ago

x2. We hired Taylor due to the success of the Rams. Not the 2013 Dolphins. He also seems fond of Mike Sherman's guys. 

So we're turning into some Dolphins/Packers hybrid.

(02-06-2019, 07:31 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Trying to imagine how you get to the point where you’re threatening to shoot the staff at a funeral home

CTE is real. There are all kinds of similar stories involving various players, such as Titus Young. Or Junior Seau. Or Dave Duerson. Or that former Bengal that took off his clothes in a court room. Or that player who suddenly went wondering in the Michigan wilderness. The stories get reported, then swept under the rug. We all love the sport, so everyone kinda buries their head in the sand on the issue.

(02-06-2019, 09:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: People are funny, if I told you last off season we were going to fire Marvin Lewis and hire Zac Taylor people would have lost their minds, yet we are all excited now. Every "unknown" coach is unknown until they are known. Any coach Taylor brings in could be the next great coach when put into his vision or they could be a bust. People getting bent out of shape over getting name coaches or non name coaches and it's pointless. When Mike Zimmer arrived here he was run out of Atlanta after a horrible stint yet here he was one of the greatest defensive coaches we have ever seen in the organization. Jay Gruden was a nobody arena football coach when he got here, only getting the job because he was John's brother according to most people, yet he put together a solid stint here and got a HC job out of it.

The idea Taylor is "making bad decisions" just needs to stop. He had an intricate plan at the interview, one that took place knowing there was a chance he wouldn't be hired until after the SB. Do we really think the whole thing just disintegrated overnight? Crazy thought, maybe he is getting exactly who he wanted? Which would then mean that maybe he actually knows what he is doing?

I feel ya to an extent. That said, Zimmer had a really good resume outside of the Falcons debacle, which really wasn't his fault. The Falcons were a mess after the Vick/Dog arrest, and Petrino quit the team mid-season (fun fact...the OC of that team was Hue Jackson). Zimmer was money with the Cowboys though. Gruden was a find, I'll give you that. 

(02-06-2019, 02:16 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Unless Taylor knocks it out of the park with his DC pick, his hires have been underwhelming, especially this one.  Of course, I was excited about last year's staff before the season (minus marvin) and we all saw how that turned out.

Partly for this reason, I won't give up hope for 2019 even if I'm less than thrilled about the staff. That said, this doesn't look like when Sean McVay hired proven guys like Matt LaFleur and Wade Phillips. Aaron Kromer was his o-line coach hire. Kromer was the Saints o-line coach when they won the Super Bowl, and even served as their Head Coach when Payton got suspended. 

These hires so far haven't been nearly as inspiring, although there are still plenty of spots to fill.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 03:30 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: From Zach Taylor's press conference:

Well Jim can communicate and is a character... So its close.
Reply/Quote