Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jo Cox MP
Don't know if the news has travelled across the pond, but an English MP, Jo Cox was stabbed and shot to death in the street the other day. Fair to say it has stunned the nation, the last time an MP was killed was in 1990, and shootings are just so rare in this country too (the murderer actually constructed his own gun).
It only happened 10 miles from where I live, and it's sent the local region into shock and disbelief.

Anyway, just thought i'd share

Rest in peace Jo.
[Image: giphy.gif]

What is an MP?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-20-2016, 08:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is an MP?

Member of Parliament.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36572968

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-20-2016, 08:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Member of Parliament.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36572968

Thanks, I know what I think of when I see MP, but I assumed this was something different. 

When is the last time we've had a member of Congress (MC?) assassinated? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/18/europe/jo-cox-suspect-tommy-mair-court/

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Yeah I saw there a few days ago. The remain people are trying to capitalize on her death.
Yeah it came at a strange time in regards to the In/Out referendum

(06-20-2016, 09:47 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Yeah it came at a strange time in regards to the In/Out referendum

If you don't mind me asking how do you feel about the ref?  
(06-20-2016, 08:23 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Don't know if the news has travelled across the pond, but an English MP, Jo Cox was stabbed and shot to death in the street the other day. Fair to say it has stunned the nation, the last time an MP was killed was in 1990, and shootings are just so rare in this country too (the murderer actually constructed his own gun).
It only happened 10 miles from where I live, and it's sent the local region into shock and disbelief.

Rest in peace Jo.

Was surprised it didn't show up earlier. Terrible loss, and is sad to see that there are both crazies in all places and that people will take advantage of these deaths to push their own agendas.
(06-20-2016, 08:23 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Don't know if the news has travelled across the pond, but an English MP, Jo Cox was stabbed and shot to death in the street the other day. Fair to say it has stunned the nation, the last time an MP was killed was in 1990, and shootings are just so rare in this country too (the murderer actually constructed his own gun).

Rest in peace Jo.

It crossed my news feeds several times. It was very sad to hear anout. She was a realatively new one to Parliament, wasn't she?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-20-2016, 08:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks, I know what I think of when I see MP, but I assumed this was something different. 

When is the last time we've had a member of Congress (MC?) assassinated? 

I was going to say the one killed at Jonestown but apparently Larry McDonald of GA was killed 5 years later (1983) while traveling over the Sea of Japan. Soviets shot his plane down.

Then of course there was Giffords, but she lived.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-20-2016, 11:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I was going to say the one killed at Jonestown but apparently Larry McDonald of GA was killed 5 years later (1983) while traveling over the Sea of Japan. Soviets shot his plane down.

Then of course there was Giffords, but she lived.

In a similar manner...a death...RFK

Do we have confirmation that it was related to the Brexit vote?
(06-21-2016, 03:41 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Do we have confirmation that it was related to the Brexit vote?

It's not related at all.   She was irrelevant in the remain campaign anyway.   This was just a mentally deranged man.  
(06-21-2016, 04:07 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's not related at all.   She was irrelevant in the remain campaign anyway.   This was just a mentally deranged man.  

Yup. If she had been a bigger player in all of that we would have heard a lot more about it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-21-2016, 07:16 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup. If she had been a bigger player in all of that we would have heard a lot more about it.

The Remain campaign is trying to play it up of course.   But they have been fear mongering the whole campaign.  
(06-21-2016, 08:59 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The Remain campaign is trying to play it up of course.   But they have been fear mongering the whole campaign.  

Both sides have, nothing new. Both sides have made some exaggerated claims in an attempt to sway the ignorant.

(06-21-2016, 03:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Both sides have, nothing new. Both sides have made some exaggerated claims in an attempt to sway the ignorant.

But only one side tried to capitalize off this unfortunate death of this MP.   

I really am looking forward to then leaving the EU.   It's gonna be close but the leave voters seem more motivated.   
(06-21-2016, 03:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Both sides have, nothing new. Both sides have made some exaggerated claims in an attempt to sway the ignorant.

(06-21-2016, 05:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: But only one side tried to capitalize off this unfortunate death of this MP.   

I really am looking forward to then leaving the EU.   It's gonna be close but the leave voters seem more motivated.   

There is such a disconnect in what is written and how it is responded to.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-21-2016, 05:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: There is such a disconnect in what is written and how it is responded to.

Matt is talking about the in/out vote and the campaigns on the general topic of EU membership.  Not the death of the MP.   Only the remain side has tried to use it as a political weapon against the leave campaign.   

But please try and jump in on a topic you have zero clue.   Matt is the only other poster here who has kept up on this topic as much as I have...