Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow contract
(07-18-2022, 04:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think players are taxed based on state of employment.  But id have too look deeper to be 100%

Nope, only for home games. Games played in NY, LA, etc., count as income earned in that state and is subject to state and local taxes at the location the money is earned. And with the amount of money an NFL team pays it's entire team, you can bet the state and local taxmen are standing right there with their hands out. This is also an often-overlooked line item when people discuss having taxpayer funded stadiums. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nope, only for home games. Games played in NY, LA, etc., count as income earned in that state and is subject to state and local taxes at the location the money is earned. And with the amount of money an NFL team pays it's entire team, you can bet the state and local taxmen are standing right there with their hands out. This is also an often-overlooked line item when people discuss having taxpayer funded stadiums. 

Makes since.
Reply/Quote
JoeyB will get more money than Kyler Murray

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Magic Johnson owned a share of the Lakers when he was still playing for them but I am pretty sure he bought the stock instead of getting it in payment. Magic was always interested in business. When he was hired as a spokesman for Pepsi he took an interest in a bottling facility as payment. But he messed up when he turned down $100K in Nike stock to sign with Converse. That was when he was a rookie and more interested in cash. That stock would be worth over $5 BILLION today.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 01:51 PM)pally Wrote: JoeyB will get more money than Kyler Murray

I feel like it's only a matter of time before all these guaranteed contracts come back to bite some of these owners in the butt. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

these contract are getting out of hand. just insane.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 02:45 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: these contract are getting out of hand. just insane.

The number isn't what you should watch, it's percentage of cap that the contract takes up. As the cap sky rockets the numbers for everyone will keep going up but how a team is constructed is usually based more around percentage of cap allocated to positions.
Reply/Quote
Anyone worried that Bengals front office stalls re-signing Joe when the time comes with the trend of guaranteed money and amount currently going and the way they do business?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 03:33 PM)GodFather Wrote: Anyone worried that Bengals front office stalls re-signing Joe when the time comes with the trend of guaranteed money and amount currently going and the way they do business?

No. I think they will pony up for Burrow and Chase.

I do worry about them losing out on other "B" list guys because of the guaranteed money, though. 

Higgins mainly comes to mind. If they lose both Higgins and Bates I'm not going to be very happy. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 02:45 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: these contract are getting out of hand. just insane.
First thing: I'm glad we're not the ones that have to pay Tiny Murray $160 Mil guaranteed 

Secondly: These owners have no one to blame but themselves

Lastly: It's why Pat Kiwan has preached Percentage of the Cap contracts. For instance, this year's Cap is $208 Mil. We guarantee JB 20% of the Cap for 5 years. He makes $41.6 MIL this year. The cap jumps to $220 Mil next year JB makes $44 MIL. We guarantee him 15% of the Cap

This would ease players wanting to renegociate because the NFL gets more loot. I think the only hurdle would be the fact (I think) that guaranteed money must be put in an escrow account upon contract agreement 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
JESUS if they are paying 230 mil to QBs that havent really done or won anything what they hell are we gonna have to pay burrow????lol
Reply/Quote
They need to update the escrow rules so there is a bit more balance between uber super-rich owners and just super-rich owners.

Maybe instead of the entire guaranteed part of the salary, it should be a percentage of it. It isn't like these players aren't going to get paid even if something happens and an owner suddenly goes bankrupt

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 03:33 PM)GodFather Wrote: Anyone worried that Bengals front office stalls re-signing Joe when the time comes with the trend of guaranteed money and amount currently going and the way they do business?

No they'd lose more than just Joe Burrow. If you ever wanted to see a tsunami wave of fans leave the team that would be it.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote

No way.

It is a blessing to get a generational talent like Burrow.

It is a miracle to get a generational talent like Burrow who is also a local boy.
Reply/Quote
Without some type of fix to the escrow rule teams like the Bengals who don't have opulently rich sugar daddies are going to get killed by guaranteed money. These guarantee amounts are getting larger than teams annual cash flows. Either they need to scrap the escrow rule or have a league wide fund that supplies at least part of the escrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 05:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: Without some type of fix to the escrow rule teams like the Bengals who don't have opulently rich sugar daddies are going to get killed by guaranteed money. These guarantee amounts are getting larger than teams annual cash flows. Either they need to scrap the escrow rule or have a league wide fund that supplies at least part of the escrow.

The Bengals have a value over $1 BILLION.

They should not have any problem putting a few hundred million in escrow.  It can still earn interest income as long as the principle is not at risk.
Reply/Quote
I don't understand why the guaranteed money has to be put into escrow. The only reason I can think of is there must be an escape clause in the instance the NFL goes bankrupt (which isn't going to happen)? Otherwise, it's just rewarding owners who have more liquidity.
Reply/Quote

That's a terrible deal, Kyler is 1 injury from being 5'-2" tall & being the 1st "little person" to play in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals have a value over $1 BILLION.

They should not have any problem putting a few hundred million in escrow.  It can still earn interest income as long as the principle is not at risk.

Valuation doesn't necessarily translate to liquidity.
Reply/Quote
i don't think burrows deal is going to be as smooth as many think. i know they did palmer and daltons pretty easy, but there was nothing like this kind of money involved.
Reply/Quote