Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Joe Burrow injury updates
(09-03-2023, 07:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No. That is not what I said at all. He hasn't made any public fuss while the negotiations are happening. That is the good faith to keep business behind closed doors while there was not any deadline yet (the season). 

If the team doesn't try to extend him then he is 100% in his right to not play. It is one of the few real methods of leverage that exist for players.

Mahomes: Extended after year 3
Allen: Extended after year 3
Hurts: Extended after year 3
Herbert: Extended after year 3
Goff: Extended after year 3
Murray: Extended after year 3
Watson: Extended after year 3
R Wilson: Extended after year 3

Pay the man. He is your franchise QB, has proven himself, and the team is a dumpster fire without him. We don't need a Lamar Jackson situation here. Just because he has handled business quietly doesn't mean he can't feel slighted or upset (rightfully).

I agree I like to get the deal done and Burrow deserves to be extended soon but to say he is dumpster fire without him is just not true. This team has the most young quality players in this organization since I can remember., plus with the staff they have they could  still fight for 7 to 8 wins.that is not a dumpster fire. How many wins qould Burrow have this season if we put him  with the 2019 team ? I say 7 to 8, the talent alone On this team with the experienced staff is going to be competitive enough to win 7 to 8 games.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 08:12 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: This team has the most young quality players in this organization since I can remember., plus with the staff they have they could  still fight for 7 to 8 wins.

Sorry Essex, but I have to disagree with you on that. There is zero belief in my mind that Browning or Grier could get 7 or 8 wins as the starting QB. 

The Saints had a top-10 scoring defense last year and Andy Dalton who played better than either of those guy can but was still 35-year-old Dalton at the end of the day, and they won 7 games in a very very weak division. 

The Bengals don't have a running game to fall back on, either, so it's passing game or bust with them. It's hard to win without a good QB, which is why everyone is so willing to pay large amounts to even decent ones.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 10:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sorry Essex, but I have to disagree with you on that. There is zero belief in my mind that Browning or Grier could get 7 or 8 wins as the starting QB. 

The Saints had a top-10 scoring defense last year and Andy Dalton who played better than either of those guy can but was still 35-year-old Dalton at the end of the day, and they won 7 games in a very very weak division. 

The Bengals don't have a running game to fall back on, either, so it's passing game or bust with them. It's hard to win without a good QB, which is why everyone is so willing to pay large amounts to even decent ones.
Maybe if you used different reference I could start to see our point butvour team is not dumpster team without Joe I believe even with Browning this team would win 6 games especially parity of league.. though I will admit right now our division is pretty tough but also believe Burrow would not have won 7 games with 2019 team and staff then  now .
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I honestly don't get the worry about Joe's contract. It will get done - probably this week - and I'm sure it will involve a lot of details and moving parts that just took time to get ironed out and finalized.

This will be a massive amount of money for a team that doesn't have the same types of resources as most franchises. Constructing the deal in a way that allows for cap flexibility once it kicks in is something that I'm sure involves a lot of give and take on both sides. 

All that matters is that it gets done...which it will. I give props to Joe, his agent and the Bengals, for how they've handled the process. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 07:47 AM)TheFan Wrote: We've seen the Bengals be willing to pay their players. We've even seen them set the market for QBs in the past. The team obviously is trying to extend him and I highly doubt they're randomly now trying to lowball Joe Burrow. 

Like you said, if this gets done next week before the season, it's all water un the bridge anyways. If it doesn't get don't I do think that's cause for concern. But we've seen the recent blue print deals that his peers Herbert and Hurts made this year. We know the history of the Bengals paying their QBs. So I think it does raise some questions about what Burrow would be asking for that's different from the other deals. Obviously this is all hypothetical though and if the deal gets done its moot.

Agree, I am sure the deal gets done before the opener, but at the same time if it doesn't it should only hurt the organization's 
pocket book so that is just extra motivation to get it done for them. Burrow shouldn't fret at all, he just will get a bigger contract
next Offseason if the FO doesn't get it done which I find unlikely.

Regardless, Burrow will not sit out. He is all about ball and sitting out is just not Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 10:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sorry Essex, but I have to disagree with you on that. There is zero belief in my mind that Browning or Grier could get 7 or 8 wins as the starting QB. 

(09-03-2023, 12:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Maybe if you used different reference I could start to see our point butvour team is not dumpster team without Joe I believe even with Browning this team would win 6 games especially parity of league.. though I will admit right now our division is pretty tough but also believe Burrow would not have won 7 games with 2019 team and staff then  now .

I think that the Team has the type of Talent that would tempt someone like Tom Brady to come out of retirement to go for another Super Bowl ring.

May not have to worry about using Browning or Grier who obviously have their limits unless they can pull a Brock Purdy style impact.

They are reporting that the 49ers had Phillip Rivers in mind as an option for an emergency QB plan last year for the Super Bowl if needed.

Working out how to pay Brady could be an issue but Brady may be flexible for the chance.

Other non-Brady options could be explored unless the Bengals would just allow it to be a lost year because even if Browning or Grier were to surprise to the good side and get to 8 wins they still likely miss the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, I am sure the deal gets done before the opener, but at the same time if it doesn't it should only hurt the organization's 
pocket book so that is just extra motivation to get it done for them. Burrow shouldn't fret at all, he just will get a bigger contract
next Offseason if the FO doesn't get it done which I find unlikely.

Regardless, Burrow will not sit out. He is all about ball and sitting out is just not Joe Burrow.

Yes, Burrow is set up for a big season this year, with his weapons, the improved OL, and starting the season without parts of his organs being removed. He starts the season with as realistic a chance as anyone to be MVP. That should be all the inspiration the FO needs to get a deal now rather than later. 

I was big on retaining Higgins, but if the Burrow contact makes that impossible, then so be it. Keep Higgins a extra year on the franchise tag if that happens.

I just really would be disappointed if Burrow does a contract that is so un-team friendly that it greatly hampers the future of the team. I'm not expecting him to do something like what Rodgers did, giving up all that guaranteed money in order to have a stronger team. But at least don't break the future of the team.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 01:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I honestly don't get the worry about Joe's contract. It will get done - probably this week - and I'm sure it will involve a lot of details and moving parts that just took time to get ironed out and finalized.

This will be a massive amount of money for a team that doesn't have the same types of resources as most franchises. Constructing the deal in a way that allows for cap flexibility once it kicks in is something that I'm sure involves a lot of give and take on both sides. 

All that matters is that it gets done...which it will. I give props to Joe, his agent and the Bengals, for how they've handled the process. 

I guess I'd give more props if it were done sooner than 3 days before the season kickoff, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 01:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think Burrow is more likely to be a terminator-style robot than a god.  He's impervious to injury, he's never flustered by the mental aspects of football, and when he's asked if he wants a $750 million contract he's going to say he has no need for money and he's programmed to win football games and nothing else. 

I like to think of Burrow with giant eagle's wing singing lead vocals for Lynard Skynard with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 01:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I honestly don't get the worry about Joe's contract. It will get done - probably this week - and I'm sure it will involve a lot of details and moving parts that just took time to get ironed out and finalized.

Ok. 

And what if it doesn't? I think most people have agreed if it gets done then all of this doesn't matter.  I would also guess most people expect it to get done. But It's okay for people to discuss what it means/what happens if it doesn't get done. 

My guess is there's a hold up on how many years and then they'll both eventually agree/one side will cave nearing the deadline of season starting.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 09:51 AM)TheFan Wrote: Ok. 

And what if it doesn't? I think most people have agreed if it gets done then all of this doesn't matter.  I would also guess most people expect it to get done. But It's okay for people to discuss what it means/what happens if it doesn't get done. 

My guess is there's a hold up on how many years and then they'll both eventually agree/one side will cave nearing the deadline of season starting.

Why do people worry about stuff they have no control over? If it gets done, great, if not, oh well it's the Bengals money they will have to spend next year, not mine or anyone's on here.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 12:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why do people worry about stuff they have no control over? If it gets done, great, if not, oh well it's the Bengals money they will have to spend next year, not mine or anyone's on here.

IDK how many people "worry' about it. It's not as if I woke up this morning and was unable to enjoy may day off on this beautiful Labor Day because we haven't signed Joe Burrow. But when the message board discussion turns to the topic; I'll share my opinion:

Do I think JB will eventually sign a long-term deal with the Bengals? Yes

Do I think the Bengals should have already done so? Yes

Can I give my opinion without worrying about it? Yes

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK how many people "worry' about it. It's not as if I woke up this morning and was unable to enjoy may day off on this beautiful Labor Day because we haven't signed Joe Burrow. But when the message board discussion turns to the topic; I'll share my opinion:

Agree fully. So many times a poster discussing an issue, or noting a concern, is branded as "worrying."  I don't know what connotations the term conveys to others, but I think generally it is a very pejorative term. Standard definitions of the term  worrying is -- well, let's use the Wikipedia definition -- "worry refers to the thoughts, images, emotions, and actions of a negative nature in a repetitive, uncontrollable manner."  It is generally a term used to convey mental distress.

I doubt many posters are in mental distress over the Burrow or HIggin's contract. But they're fans. They have an interest because they know this is a zero sum accounting situation, where the more that Burrow or Higgens gets the less money there will be for the rest of the payroll. Now, if the contracts were going to impact their own financial livelihood, you know, results in taking money out of their own pockets, then the term worrying would probably be accurate. But probably the only time any posters think about these contracts is when they visit Jungle Noise. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 12:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why do people worry about stuff they have no control over? If it gets done, great, if not, oh well it's the Bengals money they will have to spend next year, not mine or anyone's on here.

I'm not worried about it because I know Burrow will be paid. But I get the speculation because with the QB contracts being made this off-season along with the fact that the Bengals are going to pay Burrow the contract should've written itself. But with the delay especially if it goes into next year ( which I still think we will probably sign him this week ) there is a hold up and it's curious as to which side the hold up is coming from.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK how many people "worry' about it. It's not as if I woke up this morning and was unable to enjoy may day off on this beautiful Labor Day because we haven't signed Joe Burrow. But when the message board discussion turns to the topic; I'll share my opinion:

Yet here we are 38 pages of regurgitated assumptions about what is taking so long... 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 04:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yet here we are 38 pages of regurgitated assumptions about what is taking so long... 

Actually, the thread is about JB's health. The contract talk is just a tangent. 

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 03:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: Agree fully. So many times a poster discussing an issue, or noting a concern, is branded as "worrying."  I don't know what connotations the term conveys to others, but I think generally it is a very pejorative term. Standard definitions of the term  worrying is -- well, let's use the Wikipedia definition -- "worry refers to the thoughts, images, emotions, and actions of a negative nature in a repetitive, uncontrollable manner."  It is generally a term used to convey mental distress.

I doubt many posters are in mental distress over the Burrow or HIggin's contract. But they're fans. They have an interest because they know this is a zero sum accounting situation, where the more that Burrow or Higgens gets the less money there will be for the rest of the payroll. Now, if the contracts were going to impact their own financial livelihood, you know, results in taking money out of their own pockets, then the term worrying would probably be accurate. But  probably the only time any posters think about these contracts is when they visit Jungle Noise. 
Of course, it is. The funniest thing is folks posting to say they're not worried. 

Reply/Quote
[Image: 4d6c0d85f89449d226b076964c132676.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 05:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually, the thread is about JB's health. The contract talk is just a tangent. 

He already made it clear he doesn't have time to worry about what the thread is discussing. 
Reply/Quote
So did Joe go full go today, 11 on 11? Anyone know
Reply/Quote