Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow's last four games
(01-28-2022, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Joe has, over his last four games, thrown for roughly 1575 yards with 10 TDs and 1 INT off a tipped pass.

He is playing championship ball and is going to take down KC and move the Bengals on to the Super Bowl.

MaHomes has 1,311 yards, 12 TD’s and 1 pick

Pretty similar

It will be a good one for sure !!
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 05:46 PM)Whacked Wrote: MaHomes has 1,311 yards, 12 TD’s and 1 pick

Pretty similar

It will be a good one for sure !!

Pretty sure it will be a great game regardless of who wins, but I think we edge them out with our D compared to theirs.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 10:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: He's played championship ball 3 of those 5 games. He's managed the game well and relied on a strong defense during the playoff's tho. This playoff run is all about the D so far.

Yes this playoff run is all about the D so far,but I have a feeling that may change this time round.This Offense can be the defenses best friend.Long sustained scoring TOUCHDOWN drives.And I believe the Bengals can do it against this defense.Dominate Time of Possession.Joe Mixon needs to get rolling.I just feel like our OL is going to have a much better game than they did against the Titans.Not perfect,but better.Joe Burrow will take care of the rest of it.
Reply/Quote
I think so too. This will be the game Burrow takes over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 05:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty sure it will be a great game regardless of who wins, but I think we edge them out with our D compared to theirs.

Mannnn. I sure hope you’re right!

That would be something!

45 hours to go.
Reply/Quote
The team with the least mistakes/stupid penalties will win.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The team with the least mistakes/stupid penalties will win.

Both teams could have no penalties with this crew just cannot have false starts on Offense cause of the noise. 

Turnovers are essential no doubt.
Reply/Quote
Late to the party

1.) What Joe has done since the Chicago game has been simply amazing. He is what ignites the Offense and team.

2.) Joe is not a game manager not that there is anything wrong with being a game manager.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 12:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: So it's the game manager label triggering you guys? Game managers can have elite plays, they just don't have to carry the team. I don't think Burrow has carried the team these playoff games, he hasn't had to or been asked to. The defense has. They are the story.

Maybe I am the only one that feels the offense has been pretty conservative. We are going to need real Championship ball to beat KC. I don't think you guys ideal of Championship ball as far as what we've seen from the offense in the playoff's is going to do it on Sunday. But clearly that is just me, and I am cool with that.

If we get Burrow's playoff stats in either game on Sunday and win. Holding KC to under 19 points or under 26 points. Then I got news for you guys..... The story will be the Defense.

I mean people will credit Burrow and that is great, I love seeing all the love and Burrow love as much as anyone around here. But someone has to ride for the Defense and their championship play these playoff games. I will be that someone.

I think people need to understand there's a difference in being a game manager and managing a game. 

Burrow managed the 2 playoff games by not making bad decisions and creating turnovers. He took what was in front of him, while in the KC game, he took chances and went down field for big 1 on 1 wins with his WRs.

I know you're not calling him a game manager QB. But he certainly managed the last 2 games like a vet and his youth and relative inexperience in those situations makes that even more amazing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 12:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think the headset fiasco was on the final drive, but I could be wrong.

From a video i saw yesterday, it was right before the 2 minute warning in the 1st half.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 01:29 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Goodness this thread turned ugly or silly depending on your perspective.

Think it's pretty obvious with our current O-Line issues Zone defensives gives us the most trouble.  Last two games we played Zone defensives which is why we aren't getting the touchdowns.  This offseason hopefully that will be fixed and Burrow can cook longer in the pocket vs. this particular style.

Good news KC plays man mostly and if they do play zone they aren't very good at it.  Burrow will cook on Sunday at 50 degrees temp.

Definitely leans toward silly, but maybe with less bite than that word connotates. 

Sometimes replies are based on a poster and their history instead of what that poster is saying. I'm not taking one side or the other but it's not uncommon for an innocent point to be misinterpreted because of who the poster is.

Burrow is an elite QB but elite QBs know when it's time to dial it down and take smaller chunks to keep a drive alive or don't turn the ball over to keep the team alive till late in the game. They know when to manage and when to attack.

Burrow managed the Tennessee game and took bigger bites when they were there. He didn't get impatient and throw the ball into dangerous spots or look for kill shots when they weren't there. 

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 01:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Then we disagree after all, because the yards were only there because 40% of them came from making up the 89+ yards lost in sacks getting us to punts.  

If these QB's were sacked 9 times, and had 3rd and 20"s, then they'd have the yards too. I don't think you can put everything on the yards. Most were shocked he was able to amass 300+ yards given the score and beating he took, but not many really paid attention to how. Much of that was makeup yardage from the sacks. Didn't really lead to much else tho but stats. Which shouldn't be considered Championship ball.

Not true.

These are the passing yards he accumulated after he was sacked, up until the drive ended. Each of those numbers are an individual completed pass. 

1- 20
2- 8
3- 4
4- 5
5- 0 ended drive
6- 12
7- 0 ended drive
8- 12, 7, 3, 
9- 0 ended drive

A total of 71 yards. 

Tee dropped 20 yards worth on a bobbled catch on the sideline before the half and getting the ball knocked out of his hands in the 2nd half. 

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 11:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's what she said..... Hilarious

... in a disappointed tone before slamming the door on you? Cool 
Reply/Quote
Thank you for being brave enough to say it "out loud" (in writing). I appreciate the DM's from folks, but it is a little unfortunate how people don't want to contribute because they don't want to get in the crossfire from posters who disagree. Everyone should feel comfortable expressing their opinion.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 10:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: He's played championship ball 3 of those 5 games. He's managed the game well and relied on a strong defense during the playoff's tho. This playoff run is all about the D so far.

He would do more in the two games you speak of if his line was holding up better. The raiders and titans are elite pass rushers. 
Reply/Quote
To me, game manager = a QB that leans on the run game and defense, doesn't attempt many passes, and puts an emphasis on not turning the ball over, rather than pushing to make plays.

Joe Burrow is definitely not that. Our run game is pretty bad, tbh...and he's ALWAYS looking to push the ball downfield and make plays.

The big numbers weren't really there the past 2 weeks, but that's more due to the fact that we played 2 good defenses that could get pressure without blitzing. If you can do that against this o-line, you can slow Burrow and these receivers.

That's why the defense has been so clutch for us in these 2 wins. It's also why it's imperative that we invest a ton of resources into fixing the line this offseason. Its our achilles heel. Fortunately, the Chiefs being a blitzing team is in our favor.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 05:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty sure it will be a great game regardless of who wins, but I think we edge them out with our D compared to theirs.

Great minds must think alike, eh Nate?  

I was just going through and looking at their defensive performances over their last four games:

Gave up 475 yards and 34 points to Cincinnati
Gave up 364 yards and 24 points to Denver
Gave up 257 yards and 21 points to Pig Ben and the steelers
Gave up 442 yards and 31 points to the Bills

The Bengals over the same four game stretch:

Gave up 334 yards and 21 points to the Ravens
Gave up 414 yards and 31 points to KC
Gave up 385 yards and 19 points to the Raiders
Gave up 353 yards and 16 points to the Titans

I omitted the Cleveland game since there weren't many starters.  That mini-bye I still believe is a big difference for the Bengals.  Every team is beat up by the end of the season, with this one the longest season (17 games) in NFL history.   I agree with a number of folks on here that this game will come down to whichever defense can force a few punts and generate maybe a couple turnovers.  I see Joe Burrow pulling out ALL STOPS this game and he will likely be running the ball for a few first downs if he sees the right defense and everyone running away from him.  Just please slide, Joe.

The defense seems to be hitting its stride right now.  Bates played big in the last two games, and the LBs (Wilson, Pratt, and Bailey) are showing they belong as well.  The defensive line will still have a huge challenge with Mahommes, but Reader, Hubbard, Hill, and Hendrickson are all playing really well.

Who Dey, my friends.  Let's enjoy this moment and then celebrate like crazy after they win.  

Tiger Who Dey Tiger Who Dey Tiger Who Dey Tiger Who Dey Tiger Who Dey Tiger Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 01:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Then we disagree after all, because the yards were only there because 40% of them came from making up the 89+ yards lost in sacks getting us to punts.  

If these QB's were sacked 9 times, and had 3rd and 20"s, then they'd have the yards too. I don't think you can put everything on the yards. Most were shocked he was able to amass 300+ yards given the score and beating he took, but not many really paid attention to how. Much of that was makeup yardage from the sacks. Didn't really lead to much else tho but stats. Which shouldn't be considered Championship ball.

When you focus purely on stats, you miss the key aspect about NFL football:  It is ALL about matchups.  The Bengals for years during Palmer's time had great success against Baltimore but not pissburgh.  It wasn't because piss was better, but because the matchups of the two teams were just different.

That Titans game was the perfect storm for Cincy.  They have one of the best combination interior defensive lines and solid ends as well.  They were doing all kinds of things (different almost snap to snap) on the back end of things (coverage).  Even Burrow mentioned that he was seeing things he had not seen before.  Vrabel is a hell of a coach (especially on defense) and has made a living killing great offensive teams in the playoffs.  Joe getting sacked 9 times sounds just obnoxious, but the key thing about Joe was he didn't make the killer mistake....Tannehill did.  Those turnovers cost Tennessee the game.  Sure, there were times Joe could have checked it down, or threw it away, but as he said:  he had confidence in his guys to break open and he was holding the ball as long as he could to wait for that to happen.  

Whether you want to call in "makeup yardage" (which doesn't make a lot of sense, because it is HARDER to deliver the ball downfield when "off schedule" or "behind the sticks" as folks say) or not "championship ball", it is discounting what Burrow did in order to put his team in position to win.  

Every game situation will be different because of the matchups and what Joe has shown us this year is that he can beat any team with any defensive scheme that they throw at him.  Remember, that Titan's defense held Mahommes to 3 points earlier in the year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 11:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When you focus purely on stats, you miss the key aspect about NFL football:  It is ALL about matchups.  The Bengals for years during Palmer's time had great success against Baltimore but not pissburgh.  It wasn't because piss was better, but because the matchups of the two teams were just different.

That Titans game was the perfect storm for Cincy.  They have one of the best combination interior defensive lines and solid ends as well.  They were doing all kinds of things (different almost snap to snap) on the back end of things (coverage).  Even Burrow mentioned that he was seeing things he had not seen before.  Vrabel is a hell of a coach (especially on defense) and has made a living killing great offensive teams in the playoffs.  Joe getting sacked 9 times sounds just obnoxious, but the key thing about Joe was he didn't make the killer mistake....Tannehill did.  Those turnovers cost Tennessee the game.  Sure, there were times Joe could have checked it down, or threw it away, but as he said:  he had confidence in his guys to break open and he was holding the ball as long as he could to wait for that to happen.  

Whether you want to call in "makeup yardage" (which doesn't make a lot of sense, because it is HARDER to deliver the ball downfield when "off schedule" or "behind the sticks" as folks say) or not "championship ball", it is discounting what Burrow did in order to put his team in position to win.  

Every game situation will be different because of the matchups and what Joe has shown us this year is that he can beat any team with any defensive scheme that they throw at him.  Remember, that Titan's defense held Mahommes to 3 points earlier in the year. 

Well said, Racer.

Reply/Quote

Taking a beating but still fighting and in the end managing to have more points on the board is as accurate a description of a champion as you're gonna find bud.

You're literally saying overcoming a good opponent is somehow bad.  Or you expect domination of any opponent to be impressed maybe?

What if he only ran the balll after he got sacked, cuz statistically, the sack yardage counts against his rushing total. Or it used to anyway.

If the sacks were not mostly jail breaks, I'd be more mad about them and I'd see your point.

He wasn't taking indecisive fat ben sacks, he was getting murdered at the snap.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote