Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow throwing the middle of the field
Teams are playing two high safeties against the Bengals. When they do that, the deep pass is taken away which we have discussed ad nauseum. That being said, the deep zone stuff opens up the run...and more importantly the middle of the field pass.

From the eye test this year (and next gen stats below) it has seemed that Burrow has be reluctant to throw the middle of the field. There have been numerous plays watching tape and replays this year where Boyd has been open (or someone else) and Joe misses him and is quick to check down.

So, what's the deal? Is that on Burrow just missing open guys and not being reluctant to throw the middle of the field? Is it on ZT for just being clueless? Where is the disconnect? To me, its the key to unlocking the passing game and the million dollar question. Tyler Boyd should be feasting in these deep zone looks and he's not. The middle of the field should be Burrows first read on these two high looks.

I also put Brady's chart on there from yesterday. He was played much like the Bengals were and you can see how he and the Bucs were working the middle of the field.

[Image: eac7739f-4a85-4da7-b8ba-5dcdfacf6772.png]

[Image: ac303044-2020-4ffd-ab9d-802fb1f9f58d.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
21 throws 5 yards or less with 13 at or behind the line of scrimmage. Oof that’s not a recipe for success.
Reply/Quote
Wow. That chart is very interesting!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:42 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 21 throws 5 yards or less with 13 at or behind the line of scrimmage. Oof that’s not a recipe for success.

That definitely stood out to me as well. A lot of those were check downs that Burrow was quick to take.   
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That definitely stood out to me as well. A lot of those were check downs that Burrow was quick to take.   

agree, this was a game he had some time, couple times Boyd was open in slot, now with that said I understand getting the ball to Chase in different ways which they tried last night, he is the playmaker to bust a bubble screen etc.. like Hill but we did not succeed, i would like to see us throw a bit more out of the bunch formation...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:46 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: agree, this was a game he had some time, couple times Boyd was open in slot, now with that said I understand getting the ball to Chase in different ways which they tried last night, he is the playmaker to bust a bubble screen etc.. like Hill but we did not succeed, i would like to see us throw a bit more out of the bunch formation...

I like emphasizing Chase, but the defense caught on REAL quick, and we kept trying to do it. 

They need to emphasize Chase but be more creative in doing so. You can only throw the ball quick to the outside so many times. I think they beat that play to death last night.
Reply/Quote
And when he did pass over the middle, it got batted down!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And when he did pass over the middle, it got batted down!

That was getting really frustrating. I was having Dalton flashbacks.

Reply/Quote
Attacking the middle of the field was the reason I thought we got Hurst. Zac evidently has never heard of seam routes.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was getting really frustrating. I was having Dalton flashbacks.

Same

I was like Andy ? Is that you ?
Reply/Quote
This is coaching. Coaches decide where they want the ball matriculated.

Zac is telling Burrow to take this short shit and with how bad the line played last year and in games 1 and 2 i can’t blame him. But the line is solid now and we are still running the dink dunk offense.

We are idiots
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:08 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Attacking the middle of the field was the reason I thought we got Hurst. Zac evidently has never heard of seam routes.

Two of the best passes I’ve seen Burrow throw in the NFL came right up the seem: the crazy one to Boyd against the Titans his rookie season, and the one to Uzomah in the wild card game.

I don’t know why we’re not attacking that area more.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And when he did pass over the middle, it got batted down!

Also got intercepted when he threw over the middle right to the defender. Worst time he could do that as they had just stopped Balt. on downs.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:38 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Teams are playing two high safeties against the Bengals. When they do that, the deep pass is taken away which we have discussed ad nauseum. That being said, the deep zone stuff opens up the run...and more importantly the middle of the field pass.

From the eye test this year (and next gen stats below) it has seemed that Burrow has be reluctant to throw the middle of the field. There have been numerous plays watching tape and replays this year where Boyd has been open (or someone else) and Joe misses him and is quick to check down.

So, what's the deal? Is that on Burrow just missing open guys and not being reluctant to throw the middle of the field? Is it on ZT for just being clueless? Where is the disconnect? To me, its the key to unlocking the passing game and the million dollar question. Tyler Boyd should be feasting in these deep zone looks and he's not. The middle of the field should be Burrows first read on these two high looks.

I also put Brady's chart on there from yesterday. He was played much like the Bengals were and you can see how he and the Bucs were working the middle of the field.

[Image: eac7739f-4a85-4da7-b8ba-5dcdfacf6772.png]

[Image: ac303044-2020-4ffd-ab9d-802fb1f9f58d.jpg]

The Bengals run too many vertical routes. I think they're allergic to crossing patterns. 

But that's kind of a simple-minded way for me to look at it. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:15 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Also got intercepted when he threw over the middle right to the defender. Worst time he could do that as they had just stopped Balt. on downs.

That's because it was play action under center and everyone and their mother knows that when we go under center its going to be play action. 
Reply/Quote
So Burrow just needs to be in an offense like Brady had with New England and we're good to go?

I'm guessing Zac runs a McVey-like offense and nothing similar to what the Pats were doing (double TEs, pass catching RBs, dink and dunk WR routes).

If Zac is to ever change, I suppose it will need to come from ownership. I'm guessing he's quite loyal to his playbook.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That's because it was play action under center and everyone and their mother knows that when we go under center its going to be play action. 

Just a terrible pass, though, regardless of any tendencies. It wasn't as if the defender snuck up on the play or was shielded. Threw it right to the guy. Again, just a tough tough spot to put your defense back into.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So Burrow just needs to be in an offense like Brady had with New England and we're good to go?

I'm guessing Zac runs a McVey-like offense and nothing similar to what the Pats were doing (double TEs, pass catching RBs, dink and dunk WR routes).

If Zac is to ever change, I suppose it will need to come from ownership. I'm guessing he's quite loyal to his playbook.

Who said anything about the Pats? That was bradys pass chart from yesterday... 
Reply/Quote
Yeah makes no sense feel like Boyd and Hurst should kill it over the middle. We ran the ball decent too which is how you beat cover two. The offense lacks creatively would like to see more bunch formations and more movement pre snap movement. Seems like we just line up and are 3 receivers run the same routes.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Who said anything about the Pats? That was bradys pass chart from yesterday... 

I said something about the Pats days. The Brady chart from yesterday made me think about the Brady's Pats days where he thrived in taking what the defense gave him and short yardage football. Brady understood the value in throwing in the middle of the field and the short passing game.

Maybe the Bengals need improvement in such an area.
Reply/Quote