Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Joe Mixon
Joe is running hard. He's just running into the backs of the o line on many occasions. But in his defense it's not like the o-line is opening up huge holes for him to run.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon looking like he’s lost a step plus the terrible run blocking equals the crap run game we have seen so far.
I’m all for drafting a young RB but no way do I use a first round pick on one. The value just isn’t there in todays NFL. Better to just take an O lineman who can open holes in the run game. That will make almost any RB look pretty good.
Reply/Quote
Next years draft should be.

1st round - OLine
2nd round - RB
3rd Round - Oline
4th Round - WR

Oline the rest of the way
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Poor game by Mixon

I mean really poor game. Embarrassing even.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I'm as frustrated watchimg him run into the back of our linemen and falling down as everyone else, but it's a little premature to be talking about him being washed up, he's playing on a bad ankle. He went over 1000 yds behond last years crappy line. Remember all the vitriol because Perine was in instead of Mixon on the last play of the SB? It's impossible to please some of you. He needs to sit until he is 100% then come back. That is all...
Reply/Quote
On Reddit they are saying that Mixon is tipping the play. 90% of the time if Mixon was leaning (hands on knee) they ran the ball.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure how much responsibility it actually comes with, but Frank Pollack is Run Game Coordinator.

Frank Pollack should already be on the hot seat. If he has any say in Mixon getting that many touches that should only compound. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:53 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Next years draft should be.

1st round - OLine
2nd round - RB
3rd Round - Oline
4th Round - WR

WR in the 2nd, seems to be the sweet spot for it lately. Also not sure if Higgins will or won't be holding out/demanding a trade if he doesn't get a $20-25m/yr extension.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:31 PM)TheFan Wrote: Frank Pollack should already be on the hot seat. If he has any say in Mixon getting that many touches that should only compound. 

Upon the rewatch of every snap i am a bit less mad at Pollack. There were about 3 runs Burrow should’ve just checked out of pre snap. We can say the run scheme is bad but NO scheme will be good with Collins missing blocks left and right and Burrow simply refusing to check out of OBVIOUSLY bad runs. Mixon is also just running poorly too. For the most part when we called a good run at a good time, and no one made a glaring mistake we actually ran well. It’s just those mistakes happened so often it was just impossible to run consistently
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:38 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Mixon looking like he’s lost a step plus the terrible run blocking equals the crap run game we have seen so far.
I’m all for drafting a young RB but no way do I use a first round pick on one.  The value just isn’t there in todays NFL.  Better to just take an O lineman who can open holes in the run game.  That will make almost any RB look pretty good.

(09-30-2022, 08:53 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Next years draft should be.

1st round - OLine
2nd round - RB
3rd Round - Oline
4th Round - WR

You don't draft position groups. You draft Football Players.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: WR in the 2nd, seems to be the sweet spot for it lately. Also not sure if Higgins will or won't be holding out/demanding a trade if he doesn't get a $20-25m/yr extension.

Tee Higgins can't holdout. New CBA has gotten rid of holdouts for players under contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Mixon is largely the cause of Mixon's troubles. He's WAY too slow to hit the hole, trips far too often (he tripped 3 times Thursday nite leaving a crapload of yards and at least one TD on the field) and perhaps most aggravating seems not to have vision anymore as he runs right by holes and slams into players. He really needs to sit a bit until he is full speed and has his head in the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Tee Higgins can't holdout. New CBA has gotten rid of holdouts for players under contract.

Didn't get rid of it at all, just made there a very heavy financial punishment. If that's being weighed against a 4-5yr/$100-130m contract...

Or we could call it a "hold in" but it's the exact same results, a guy not actually participating with the intent of playing.
Or he could be "injured" and stay on the rehab field the entire time.

Plus he can skip all voluntary stuff, as it's voluntary and he has no workout bonuses to lose.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Joe is running hard. He's just running into the backs of the o line on many occasions. But in his defense it's not like the o-line is opening up huge holes for him to run.

He's still bad.  Per Next Gen Stats, he only generates Rushing Yards Over Expected on 28.2% of his carries and his -61 yards of Rushing Yards vs Expected is worst in the league.  
Reply/Quote
Perine seems to be running well. Would like to see him get more carries. Just because Mixon is on a big contract doesn't mean we should keep handing him the ball if he's not getting it done.

I always worry how much contracts are a factor. Could Mike want to get his money's worth? Could Taylor be reluctant to admit Mixon is failing when Mike is spending so much money on him? (Would make Zac look bad to his boss?)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I see the blockers getting consumed by the dline, leaving linebackers and DBs to quickly fill the gap. Nobody is getting blocked at the second level. I think a lot of these stats being thrown around are a product of that. Tough to get yards after contact when you're being met by two guys in the hole.

I think this is partly because our run calls are so predictable based on formation and partly because the line is still a work in progress. Thursday was an improvement. They gained enough yardage on run plays to keep Burrow upright most of the game and keep third downs makeable. They ran a few plays that broke tendency - not nearly enough but it was progress.
Reply/Quote
RBs with at least 25 carries through 3 games (Mixon through 4):

Aaron jones (GB) - 4.1 yards after contact
Saquon Barkley (NY) - 3.9 yards after contact
Khalil Herberet (CHI) - 3.1 yards after contact
D'eandre Swift (DET) - 3.1 yards after contact
Joshua Kelley (LAC) - 2.9 yards after contact
David Montgomery (CHI) - 2.9 yards after contact
Nick Chubb (CLE) - 2.6 yards after contact
Josh Jacobs (LV) - 2.6 yards after contact
Tony Pollard (DAL) - 2.5 yards after contact
Travis Etiene Jr (JAX) - 2.5 yards after contact
Mike Sanders (PHI) - 2.4 yards after contact
Dameon Pierce (HOU) - 2.4 yards after contact
Melvin Gordon III (DEN) - 2.4 yards after contact
Rashaad Penny (SEA) - 2.4 yards after contact
Cordarelle Patterson (SEA) - 2.3 yards after contact
Christian Mcafferey (CAR) - 2.3 yards after contact
Rhamondre Stevenson (NE) - 2.3 yards after contact
Javonte Williams (DEN) - 2.3 yards after contact
Derrick Henry (TEN) - 2.2 yards after contact
Damien Harris (NE) - 2.1 yards after contact
Alvan Kamara (NO) - 2.0 yards after contact
Ezekiel Eliliot (DAL) - 1.9 yards after contact
Kareem Hunt (CLE) - 1.8 yards after contact
Dalvin Cook (MIN) - 1.8 yards after contact
AJ Dillon (GB) - 1.8 yards after contact
Cam Akers (LAR) - 1.8 yards after contact
James Robinson (JAC) - 1.7 yards after contact
Leonard Fournette (TB) - 1.6 yards after contact
Jonathan Taylor (IND) - 1.5 yards after contact
Antonio Gibson (WAS) - 1.4 yards after contact
Jamaal Williams (DET) - 1.3 yards after contact
Jeff Wilson JR (SF) - 1.2 yards after contact
Najee Harris (PIT) - 1.1 yards after contact
Michael Carter (NYJ) - 1.1 yards after contact
Joe Mixon (CIN) - 0.5 yards after contact
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 01:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Perine seems to be running well. Would like to see him get more carries. Just because Mixon is on a big contract doesn't mean we should keep handing him the ball if he's not getting it done.

I always worry how much contracts are a factor. Could Mike want to get his money's worth? Could Taylor be reluctant to admit Mixon is failing when Mike is spending so much money on him? (Would make Zac look bad to his boss?)

Perine's stats are odd, he doesn't have enough rushes, but his yards before contact is very high (3.4) compared to Mixon's (1.5). His yards after contact is below average (1.5) while Mixon's is atrocious (0.5).

Part of Mixon's play can likely be blamed on our line and he can't break out of the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: Mixon is largely the cause of Mixon's troubles. He's WAY too slow to hit the hole, trips far too often (he tripped 3 times Thursday nite leaving a crapload of yards and at least one TD on the field) and perhaps most aggravating seems not to have vision anymore as he runs right by holes and slams into players. He really needs to sit a bit until he is full speed and has his head in the game.

His balance and footwork are terrible.  I really wish coaching would have improved this.

If there is ever an opening he seems to trip up and not get an even stride.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:38 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Mixon looking like he’s lost a step plus the terrible run blocking equals the crap run game we have seen so far.
I’m all for drafting a young RB but no way do I use a first round pick on one. The value just isn’t there in todays NFL. Better to just take an O lineman who can open holes in the run game. That will make almost any RB look pretty good.

What about someone like that Corum kid from Michigan. Seems like the perfect type runner when you can’t make big holes. He finds that little sliver or bounces it somewhere and has the speed to get there. He’s a small guy but his legs are about the size of my torso. I still have to despise him for now, but come January, if he comes out for the draft, then it’s all good.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote