Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon May Hold Out
Bengals could really come out ahead if they can sign Mixon at a reasonable salary for the next 4 seasons.  I honestly think he has the talent to put up really big numbers.  And remember that he would just turn 27 a few weeks before the final season of that contract.

Look at what Gurley did when Zac was with the Rams.  Gurley is good, but he is no freak like Elliott or Barkley.  Mixon is every bit as talented as Gurley and could blow up and have a huge season this year.  Then he WOULD demand more money than is wise to pay a RB.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:57 AM)Benton Wrote: 1- Mixon is worth more than he's getting paid.
2- Mixon will do better behind our line (in my opinion) in 2020 because our line will be better (my opinion).
3- Mixon is a runningback. They age in dog years. Going back two years to pluck stats to prove your point is like saying 14 years ago Generic Quarterback was second in the league in deep balls and third in first downs.

(04-16-2020, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am going to nominate this for the dumbest post of the month.

If 2019 stats are the only ones that matter then Ryan Tannehill is the best passer in the league while Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, and Deshaun Watson are not even in the top 10.

Might wanna reread that.

I even bolded the part that makes your condescension off target. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 05:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same. RB's have a short shelf life, pay him now if we want to keep him.

Here is a thought, trade Dalton and Gio to the Patriots for Donte Hightower or give them our 2nd for Thuney...

The Hightower thought is much more likely and this way we could pay Mixon no problem getting rid of Dalton and Gio's salary.

Yeah, I'd be down for that if the Pats had the cap room.  Apparently they do not.

Gio might turn into Kevin Faulk 2.0 in New England.
Reply/Quote
It sucks for RBs but yeah, you can't sign them to big money long term deals with tons of guaranteed money because what if they get injured? And the money can just be spent elsewhere to make the team better. There are sooo many good RBs out there trying for a spot.

I guess it comes down to how much he is asking for and for how long but I can't see paying him much more than what we gave Gio.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 07:14 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I'd be down for that if the Pats had the cap room.  Apparently they do not.

Gio might turn into Kevin Faulk 2.0 in New England.

They get rid of tons of cap trading either Thuney or Hightower. Think it would help them.

As SHRacer shown in his Patriots thread in the Draft forum... 

Thuney, Gilmore and Hightower take up a quarter of their cap right now.

They are in cap hell. They can restructure Dalton and Gio's contracts if they wish.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 04:30 PM)samhain Wrote: That's kind of how I feel about it.  I want Joe Mixon on the team for the next few years.  If they're going to have success under the new regime and Burrow, he should/deserves to be a part of it.  I suspect he's a big part of players not quitting last year even though they had a demoralizing season.

My sticking point is if he gets to the point where he's demanding a top RB deal.  He may very well be one, but between now and the start of 2021, the Bengals will have 2 drafts to decide whether or not to replace him with a younger, more affordable back.  If he shows his ass in the meantime, the decision gets easy for the team.  
I think the decision is already easy for the team. Mixon is scheduled to make 1.2 this year.

Offer him a 3yr deal for 15 mil. Thats Dalton's salary + 2mil for the team.

Trade Mixon to get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and draft his replacement.

We all know how MB feels about players trying to leverage him (New Dey or not)...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 07:18 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: It sucks for RBs but yeah, you can't sign them to big money long term deals with tons of guaranteed money because what if they get injured? And the money can just be spent elsewhere to make the team better. There are sooo many good RBs out there trying for a spot.

I guess it comes down to how much he is asking for and for how long but I can't see paying him much more than what we gave Gio.

My hope is they transition rb contracts(and really everybody) to incentive contracts. That way,teams won't try to low-ball guys who perform well. It's got it's drawbacks,like guys trying to play injured, but beats getting underpaid for several years, optioned,tagged and tossed aside 
Reply/Quote
He's an above average RB - certainly no slouch, but not a top tier type of guy. His incident has damaged his earnings potential/trade value. Any mention of a holdout will damage his earnings potential/trade value. A 2nd or 3rd rounder for him would be gravy. 
Reply/Quote
I haven't read the new CBA (and almost certainly never will), but if this guy's analysis is on target, there's not a snowball's chance Mixon holds out - it simply wouldn't make any financial sense at all.  Flip side is Bengals still ought to try to come to some sort of deal unless they don't care if he hits the open market next year.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/16/21223421/why-4th-year-players-chris-carson-joe-mixon-wont-hold-out-new-cba-seattle-seahawks-bengals-accrued
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Top three rushing teams in 2019 all made the playoffs... and 7 of the 10 teams that made the playoffs were in the top ten in rushing... I think that trend is going to continue and yes some of those teams have some split backs etc.. but Mixon we deemed last year as the bell cow... we know what we have.. and with the trend I would pay him and lets start listing some top WRS with losing teams:  Top 3 WRs did not make the playoffs last year.. I believe six of the nine highest paid WRs last year have not made the playoffs the last two years:  And many of those players are on 2nd year contracts also....

4 of the 10 highest paid WR's in the NFL had their teams make the playoffs last year.  Hopkins, Watkins, Thielen, and Adams. 2 of the ones that didn't make the playoffs didn't play a down all year(Antonio Brown and AJ Green). 3 of the 10 highest paid RB's had their teams make the playoffs, but two of those(Lamar Miller and Jerick McKinnon) didn't play a single down for their respective clubs and Dion Lewis only had 227 total yards from scrimmage behind Henry.  It should also be noted that the Rams had both a Top 10 RB and WR and missed the playoffs.

Basically, teams with highly paid WR's performed better and those WR's did more to aid their teams success than their RB counterparts.

While a strong run game is important, paying top dollar on 2nd contracts for RB's isn't the way to accomplish it.  RB's drop off too quickly and are typically used up by the time they get that 2nd contract and get outperformed by their younger, cheaper counterparts.  You invest your money in your OL for 2nd contracts and draft replacements for RB's with expiring deals.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:09 PM)felis tigris Wrote: I haven't read the new CBA (and almost certainly never will), but if this guy's analysis is on target, there's not a snowball's chance Mixon holds out - it simply wouldn't make any financial sense at all.  Flip side is Bengals still ought to try to come to some sort of deal unless they don't care if he hits the open market next year.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/16/21223421/why-4th-year-players-chris-carson-joe-mixon-wont-hold-out-new-cba-seattle-seahawks-bengals-accrued

Bengalfan74 found this same article, it is on the last page. Way too much for me to decipher.

Life is too short, Mixon won't hold out period dot dash.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 12:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This article if I'm understanding it right and they're right a holdout is very unlikely.

Looks to me like the new CBA pretty much put a shutdown on 4th year holdouts, making them honor the contracts that they were happy to agree to, after being drafted.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks to me like the new CBA pretty much put a shutdown on 4th year holdouts, making them honor the contracts that they were happy to agree to, after being drafted.

That is what I got out of it, lots to think about in that page. 

Sounds like a good move honestly without looking at other factors.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what I got out of it, lots to think about in that page. 

Sounds like a good move honestly without looking at other factors.

Sure, some teams will exploit that new rule, simply to save from extending players before they are ready.  There are always going to be those types.  It's also important to remember that players signed a contract for 4 years, not "3 with a guaranteed raise in the 4th year".  However, I feel like this will also encourage some other teams to also take a greater interest in extending players before their time comes, as keeping a good team together is vital.  The key is in communication, rather than threatening radical actions that benefit one player's own interest, leaving the rest of the team vulnerable.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, some teams will exploit that new rule, simply to save from extending players before they are ready.  There are always going to be those types.  It's also important to remember that players signed a contract for 4 years, not "3 with a guaranteed raise in the 4th year".  However, I feel like this will also encourage some other teams to also take a greater interest in extending players before their time comes, as keeping a good team together is vital.  The key is in communication, rather than threatening radical actions that benefit one player's own interest, leaving the rest of the team vulnerable.

Nobody likes holdouts, at least I am pretty sure nobody does...

Wait, I liked the Bell holdout on the Steelers. So there is exceptions lol
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks to me like the new CBA pretty much put a shutdown on 4th year holdouts, making them honor the contracts that they were happy to agree to, after being drafted.

Yep, looks like they've closed the loopholes. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:07 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Wants a LTC now. Do you pay him? I don’t. Not unless it’s a very friendly deal. Running backs are fungible commodities. I really like Joe, but he’s replaceable. This is per Paul Dehner.

That would be a bad move by Mixon. The team will just let him sit for the year and the offers he gets after a year off won't be would he could get just staying with the Bengals.

But I can see Bill Belichick ending up with Andy Dalton and Joe Mixon for a discounted price come June.

Reply/Quote
It's not going to shock me if we trade him. You don't pull this kind of crap (threatening to hold out) the week before the draft. And not after the kind of free agency we had. And not when the team is in negotiations with a Pro-Bowl WR.

Joe Mixon still has some growing up to do.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire would look pretty good in stripes.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
So Mixon can't hold out, it would cost him more in fines than he will make. He can be disgruntled and not want to play, but I don't really see that with all the excitement over Burrow coming in. I think they will offer him a deal. If not, I expect him to try to put up huge numbers to get the huge contract next year.
Reply/Quote
Note to Joe..Millions of people are suddenly out of work. This is a GREAT TIME to just shut up and take a million bucks and be thrilled with it. I'm pretty sure there are gonna be a few million guys willing to get tackled for less than a 4th of your rookie deal.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote