Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon May Hold Out
(04-15-2020, 12:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thing is, college coaches switch guys' positions all the time.  If coach tells a freshman or sophomore that it's play RB or ride the pine, kids are going to play RB.

Such a switch would have to happen before said player ever made it to college.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think this story is really a non-story. Of course he's going to hold out at 1.2M. That doesn't mean he's suddenly holding out for CMC money. It does NOT mean we suddenly have to draft a running back.

Mixon is still only 23. If he signs a two yr extension (meaning a 3 year deal) he can go back to free agency before he's 27. We can get plenty of value before the wheels fall off. Seems something like a 15M signing bonus, which effectively adds 5M to his cap hit this year. Then in the next couple of years his base salary (with incentives or whatever) comes in at around 10M, for cap hits in the mid teens. But that's just a guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have been against paying him, I am still against paying him. While I appreciate his skill there is just too much data lately that points to not paying backs. If he is willing to take somewhere in the Melvin Gordon range, say 8-9 a year, I'd consider it but anything over 9/9.5 and you are asking for a poor outcome.

This is exactly right.

Plus they never should have paid Gio.

Plus the money is better spent on stud O lineman.

Panthers are going to regret the McCaffrey contract and he is the best RB in league.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:18 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Such a switch would have to happen before said player ever made it to college.

Say what?  Please read, just one team with several changes....including a RB to WR.

https://247sports.com/Article/ohio-state-football-player-position-changes-demario-mccall-cade-stover-cornontae-hamilton-144498593/
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, Carolina just gave McCaffrey twice that. He’s not your typical RB though.

McCaffrey is basically a receiver that can also carry the rushing offense as well.

The day Mixon generates 100+ receptions and 1000 yards in the passing game, he can begin to request wide receiver money haha.
Reply/Quote
Pay the man. Somewhere around 10-12 mil a year. 4 year deal. Draft his replacement in 3 years when we have to pay Joe Burrow big money. He's a very good back. He's built in a way (thick) where he isn't as injury prone as other backs. I say pay him now before he breaks out. He is great in space after the catch. Great vision. Great at catching the ball. Great running between the tackles and outside. He's a great player for us. I say ride him out for 3-4 years and then draft a replacement.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Everything was going so well, should have known...

Guess we need to draft a RB now.

WhoDey2 My sentiments exactly, waiting for the shoe to drop.  One of 2 things could happen: 1. Dalton gets traded/cut and they use that money to extend Mixon or AJ. 2. If it's pay AJ, They may need to draft Burrow's RB from LSU Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Good RB on a 4 yr rookie deal and trade Mixon. If its pay Mixon, we get AJ for 1 year and then he'll walk... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Paying Gio what they are is more criminal than giving Mixon a long term contract.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Long term deals on RB's simply aren't smart in this day and age, and we've seen several cases of buyer's remorse this off-season.  I would give him permission to seek a trade if he can find someone to pay him.  Barring that, depending on what we do with Dalton and post draft FA, I might offer him a roster bonus if he reports before week 1 along with a promise not to tag him next year.

Unless a RB is a first rounder, he plays four years on a rookie deal.  Then, if he's productive, you franchise him once, maybe even twice, then you send him on his way.  Every year, there is a whole new crop of RB's and you can find a starter on Day 3 of the draft or often even as an UDFA.

Sorry Joe, you were born five years too late.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
8 to 8.5 mil. Mixon holding out will work out as well as Melvin Gordon's.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:30 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Say what?  Please read, just one team with several changes....including a RB to WR.

https://247sports.com/Article/ohio-state-football-player-position-changes-demario-mccall-cade-stover-cornontae-hamilton-144498593/

None of those guys are playing at the next level. They’re moving so as to hopefully see some PT. My point was that the elite athletes may shy away from playing RB earlier in their careers to focus on playing more lucrative positions in the league. 5th year seniors moving from TE to LB aren’t germane to this discussion.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals drafted two RBs last year to prepare for such an event. Plus, there are plenty of other RBs available on the market still if/when Mixon holds out. Not a big deal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:20 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I think this story is really a non-story. Of course he's going to hold out at 1.2M. That doesn't mean he's suddenly holding out for CMC money. 

This.

Mixon is one of only 3 NFL RBs with 1100+ yards each of the last two seasons, and the Bengals have gotten that production for less than a million a year.  I can understand why Mixon thinks he has already earned a raise before risking a career ending injury for just $1.2 million.

The man deserves to get paid better, but not top of the league money

(04-15-2020, 12:20 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Mixon is still only 23. If he signs a two yr extension (meaning a 3 year deal) he can go back to free agency before he's 27. We can get plenty of value before the wheels fall off. 

This also.  Good RBs are still valuable and worth more than just average backs.  The key is to not pay them when they are older.

Mixon does not have a lot of leverage.  He won't get a huge contract next year in free agency if he refuses to play for us this year.  Plus he would much rather have the money NOW instead of waiting a whole year.  We could pay him $30 million over 4 years and he would still just be 27 the last year of that deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals drafted two RBs last year to prepare for such an event. Plus, there are plenty of other RBs available on the market still if/when Mixon holds out. Not a big deal.

Our offense will suffer if we take a step back at RB.

RBs may not have the value they used to, but it is silly to say the talent level at the position doesn't matter at all.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense will suffer if we take a step back at RB.

RBs may not have the value they used to, but it is silly to say the talent level at the position doesn't matter at all.

I didn't say "doesn't matter at all," I said not a big deal. To me, that's different. Sure, there would/could be a drop off. But how much? We don't know, but I don't expect it to be as big of a difference as the difference between AJ Green and a backup WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
With the 2nd round the sweet spot for runningbacks for the Bengals, and Mixon in his final year. RB is not out of the question if we trade back from 33.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bengals should remind Joe they took a chance on him when most teams took him completely off their board...

On the other hand, he beat a woman and is a homophobe. Why should we take another chance on him?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:58 PM)McC Wrote: Unless a RB is a first rounder, he plays four years on a rookie deal.  Then, if he's productive, you franchise him once, maybe even twice, then you send him on his way.  Every year, there is a whole new crop of RB's and you can find a starter on Day 3 of the draft or often even as an UDFA.

Sorry Joe, you were born five years too late.

Technically speaking, you can find a starter at any position as a day 3 pick.  Doesn't mean the odds are great.  The Bengals last 3 feature backs were all 2nd round picks.  It's probably something they need to look at in 3-4.  A rookie QB without a decent run game is a recipe for disaster.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:18 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Such a switch would have to happen before said player ever made it to college.

Wrong. Many rbs and QBs get to college and are moved to a new position day 1. They play that position bc they are the best athlete in their hs but aren't suited to be the guy in college so they move to lb, de, safety, wr, db, etc
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:58 PM)McC Wrote:   Every year, there is a whole new crop of RB's and you can find a starter on Day 3 of the draft or often even as an UDFA.

Only if you are very lucky.  Over the last 10 years there have been 164 RBs taken in the third day of the draft.  Only 6 of them have rushed for as many yards as Mixon has.

Good RBs are not as easy to replace as many people claim. 
Reply/Quote