Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Mixon - Rumors He May Be Cut
SI, Bleacher Report and others have Joe Mixon responding to rumors he may be cut. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Links work better in threads such as these:

WTS, I could see it. It's $6 Mil toward Tee
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 11:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Links work better in threads such as these:

WTS, I could see it. It's $6 Mil toward Tee

Or even just quotes or what his response was!

Hilarious

Mixon has given us a lot here and I thank him for that.

I defended us drafting him when Pat was bashing us and I'm glad he had a good run with us, but we need the money for Tee or free agents 

He's laughing it off on Twitter, but I think it's time to move on.

[Image: GGZzl8NW8AAyJvc?format=jpg&name=medium]

If he does end up staying with us, I'll support him, but I just don't think we keep him when we need the money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
I think is very unlikely for a couple reasons.

1) Mixon played pretty well last year.

2) We already have a bunch of holes to fill, why add another if you don't have to?

3) He took a haircut for the team last year. As Burrow & Chase (& Tee) are more expensive, we may want other guys to restructure. Cutting the guy who was willing to do it isn't exactly going to encourage others to follow suit.

4) We have a lot of cap space. We don't need the room. We are $50 million under, not $50 million over.

5) B/R is garbage.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 11:58 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think is very unlikely for a couple reasons.

1) Mixon played pretty well last year.

2) We already have a bunch of holes to fill, why add another if you don't have to?

3) He took a haircut for the team last year. As Burrow & Chase (& Tee) are more expensive, we may want other guys to restructure. Cutting the guy who was willing to do it isn't exactly going to encourage others to follow suit.

4) We have a lot of cap space. We don't need the room. We are $50 million under, not $50 million over.

5) B/R is garbage.

We have a lot of holes and NOT enough cap space is the problem. That's why you don't pay a RB almost 9 million when he's not worth it. Take the shades off.
Reply/Quote
Mixon doesn’t offer a whole lot anymore on the field. He’s definitely not worth what they are paying him, but if they do get rid of him, they do need to beef up their RB room.
Reply/Quote
IMO it would be a smart move to get younger and cheaper at RB. Their are plenty of good and capable RBs in this draft class to pair with Brown to be a talented duo. If they don't want to be totally dependent upon a rookie and 2nd year guy to carry the load, they can always sign a competent veteran for much less than Mixon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If his time is indeed up, he had a good career with the Bengals. He'd finish third in rushing yards:

Dillon - 8061
Brooks - 6447
Mixon - 6412

and second in rushing TDs:

Johnson - 64
Mixon - 49
Reply/Quote
I think he's here one more year. He restructured, he was back to running hard toward the latter part of the season. and he's a crowd favorite (ticket seller)  We'll roll with him and Brown splitting carries this year.
Reply/Quote
There are a few statistics that essentially that predict steep decline pretty well. Generally speaking, 28 years old is one of those walls where a steep decline happens and he will be 28 next season. 1,500 carries in 7 seasons or less is another and he just passed 1500 carries last seasons.

He can be a serviceable rotation guy but what is that worth? Probably not what he is paid currently.
Reply/Quote
There's no move they can make that would be surprising.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 11:35 AM)Destro Wrote: There's no move they can make that would be surprising.

I would be surprised if they cut him and then signed Barkley
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 03:37 AM)pulses Wrote: We have a lot of holes and NOT enough cap space is the problem. That's why you don't pay a RB almost 9 million when he's not worth it. Take the shades off.

Nonsense. 

Even if you go big with Tee & Reader, you still have $20 mil left +3 picks for the remainder. More than enough if you spend/draft wisely. 

Now,  we may not be able to upgrade everything we want, but the holes (starters) can be taken care of fairly straghtforwardly. 

WR2: Higgins tag ($20 mil) 
DT/NT (run stopper): Reader ($10 mil?) 
RT: Round 1 pick ($2.7 mil) 

That is a healthy (high) estimate for Reader. Even so, we still have $20 mil in FA + 2 Day 2 picks. At a min, that needs to cover WR3, TE (all holes filled), plus the biggestcdepth uogrades: DT interior pass rush, and another DB piece. Should be enough easily. Heck, guys like Sinnot or Theo Johnson could be there Rd4. Or a CB. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 12:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Nonsense. 

Even if you go big with Tee & Reader, you still have $20 mil left +3 picks for the remainder. More than enough if you spend/draft wisely. 

Now,  we may not be able to upgrade everything we want, but the holes (starters) can be taken care of fairly straghtforwardly. 

WR2: Higgins tag ($20 mil) 
DT/NT (run stopper): Reader ($10 mil?) 
RT: Round 1 pick ($2.7 mil) 

That is a healthy (high) estimate for Reader. Even so, we still have $20 mil in FA + 2 Day 2 picks. At a min, that needs to cover WR3, TE (all holes filled), plus the biggestcdepth uogrades: DT interior pass rush, and another DB piece. Should be enough easily. Heck, guys like Sinnot or Theo Johnson could be there Rd4. Or a CB. 

Perhaps they want to improve the team, rather than simply maintain a status quo that was unable to win the Superbowl?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I we were to cut Joe, which I think is VERY unlikely, we eould need an upgrade in hand (Henry, Barkley, Jacobs).

While I think a Henry move is interesting, I do not see us spending big on RB.

Again, we don't want to cut the guys who do restructures to help the team. We would love others to follow suit (Cappa, Karras, Hilton, Hill, Burrow, etc).

I think we chalk up the problems on D to the inexperienced safeties and on O to Burrow's injuries. We look to mostly run it back one more time. The FO thinks the core of the team is SB caliber. They get one more shot to get it done.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 11:58 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: 3) He took a haircut for the team last year. As Burrow & Chase (& Tee) are more expensive, we may want other guys to restructure. Cutting the guy who was willing to do it isn't exactly going to encourage others to follow suit.

He took a paycut for himself last year because he didn't want to be cut. 

The highest paid RB in last season's FA was Dalvin Cook with 1yr/$7m and he was coming off a nearly 1,200 yard season at 4.4ypc compared to Mixon's 800 yard season at 3.9ypc. Mixon didn't want to test that FA market and make even less money while also ending up on a team with a worse chance at winning a SB. It wasn't altruism, it was self interest.

Quote:Again, we don't want to cut the guys who do restructures to help the team. We would love others to follow suit (Cappa, Karras, Hilton, Hill, Burrow, etc).
I think you're mixing up restructuring (where a guy takes most of his base salary as a signing bonus which is paid out then and there rather than over 18 weeks, the guy makes the exact same amount of money but actually gets it sooner, it is a mechanic to manipulate the cap) with paycuts where a guy needs to make less money or he will be cut. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 01:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He took a paycut for himself last year because he didn't want to be cut. 

Pretty much.  His 2022 season was a whole lotta nothing, unless you are inordinately fond of seeing the Carolina Panthers get humiliated (and if so, you've had a very stimulating 2023, as well). 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 12:33 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I we were to cut Joe, which I think is VERY unlikely, we eould need an upgrade in hand (Henry, Barkley, Jacobs).

Again, we don't want to cut the guys who do restructures to help the team. We would love others to follow suit (Cappa, Karras, Hilton, Hill, Burrow, etc).

I think we chalk up the problems on D to the inexperienced safeties and on O to Burrow's injuries. We look to mostly run it back one more time. The FO thinks the core of the team is SB caliber. They get one more shot to get it done.

I don't believe Mixon restructured his contract to help the team. I believe Mixon did it to avoid being cut. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 12:33 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I we were to cut Joe, which I think is VERY unlikely, we eould need an upgrade in hand (Henry, Barkley, Jacobs).

The upcoming FA market is packed with talented RBs.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/all/

The Bengals should easily be able to find a quality RB for under $3 mill APY in that group. They may just have to wait a week or two after the big contracts hit and the guys remaining start being willing to take cheaper deals to play for contenders.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The upcoming FA market is packed with talented RBs.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/all/

The Bengals should easily be able to find a quality RB for under $3 mill APY in that group. They may just have to wait a week or two after the big contracts hit and the guys remaining start being willing to take cheaper deals to play for contenders.

If we do cut Mixon, I would be interested in AJ Dillon to supply the "Thunder "while Brown the "lightning"
AFCN requires a big bruising back. Look at the AFCN RBs :   Harris, Chubb, Edwards 
Lets add Dillon and am looking forward to him steam rolling TJ Watt 
Reply/Quote