Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Mixon is going to be on the team this year
(03-06-2024, 10:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so too. But 2 proven backs in Pollard and Moss for 10 mil doesn't sound much when Mixon would be making 8 all by himself if we keep him.
We won't keep Mixon and Pollard and Moss will probably go for more than that...we don't need them both with Chase Brown anyways.
(03-06-2024, 09:48 PM)pulses Wrote: Corum wouldn't be the answer anyways. Michigan RB's don't do well in the NFL recently and he isn't what we need....we have that already in Brown.

Watch Corum protect the QB, then watch Brown protect the QB and then come back and tell me they're the same thing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-06-2024, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch Corum protect the QB, then watch Brown protect the QB and then come back and tell me they're the same thing.

I meant size wise.
(03-06-2024, 09:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You think we could get Tony Pollard and Zach Moss for that cheap? If so, sign me up.

I just saw this earlier. By the estimation you could get them both for 11.8 mil per year. Speculating on recent RB markets I thought maybe it could be less. But I'm intrigued by Pollard and I assume other teams will be so he's number could fluctuate even if it's just teams willing to guarantee more money it probably isn't realistic. I honestly think we have more pressing needs. I also think we need to reevaluate our run game from all points. So while I still think Mixon stays and can be a viable part of an improved run game this next year. Pollard, Brown and a short yardage back could be very interesting. 
(03-06-2024, 11:12 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:  

I just saw this earlier. By the estimation you could get them both for 11.8 mil per year. Speculating on recent RB markets I thought maybe it could be less. But I'm intrigued by Pollard and I assume other teams will be so he's number could fluctuate even if it's just teams willing to guarantee more money it probably isn't realistic. I honestly think we have more pressing needs. I also think we need to reevaluate our run game from all points. So while I still think Mixon stays and can be a viable part of an improved run game this next year. Pollard, Brown and a short yardage back could be very interesting. 
Rather have Singletary over Moss and i don't see Pollard getting 8/yr.
(03-06-2024, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So don't go after a "Top FA RB", just sign a guy like Devin Singletary.  He'll get you over 4 ypc, is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is good in pass pro.  He's only 5'7" but he weighs 203#, that is a wrecking ball that nobody is going to get lower than.

If they pick up a RBBC guy like Singletary to pair with Chase Brown, and then draft their big banger of the future, the backfield should be set for the next 4-5 years.

I just worry about counting on the draft for a RB this year is a little concerning. With the depth of OL, DL and WR I really think that's how we should go the 1st 3 rds and probably will be how best player available will closely play out. I don't really want to be in a situation where we are depending on too much of a midround rb. Although if things don't play out in the draft I'm sure some FA backs will still be available after the draft. I'm just not a big Singletary fan although I know he had a big game against us.
(03-06-2024, 11:16 PM)pulses Wrote: Rather have Singletary over Moss and i don't see Pollard getting 8/yr.

Moss had a couple game stretch where he really seemed to be playing well last year. I may be a little overhyped from that stretch. But if Pollard gets something like 6 mil a year I think that would be a real steal. 
(03-06-2024, 11:12 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:  

That is a little more than 10 mil, but I would take Tony Pollard for 8 mil a year over Mixon easily. Pollard has always impressed me.

Then get a pounder like Braelon Allen, Trey Benson or Jonathan Brooks in the Draft and we are way better at RB IMO.
Pollard stunk once he got the full time role, Or maybe that injury 2 seasons ago still lingered? Idk

he basically ran like Mixon last year. Very poor yards per attempt

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
(03-06-2024, 11:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Pollard stunk once he got the full time role, Or maybe that injury 2 seasons ago still lingered? Idk

Maybe I just watched his good games I guess. Never seen Pollard run anything like Mixon, always accelerates fast, hits the holes
fast and has great burst and speed.
I am a Mixon fan and have argued with several posters about his level of play. I have thought in the past that there are two different types of fans. We are all big fans of the team. But if you had a set of scales one set of fans seem to have more weight on the franchise/FO and coaching staff side will the other set of fans have more weight on the player side. I'm firmly in the latter and I am aware of this but even with that knowledge still can't bring myself to wish bad will or ignore a players good deeds inspite of some negatives.

But I say all this because I saw earlier that the Bengals historically have released players early after FA has started. So I have a question if we release Mixon late next week well after the start of FA but before his March bonus. Does it feel like we are doing him an injustice? Not that I think he's competing with the top FA RBs but we could be putting him out there in a even more dried up market.
(03-06-2024, 11:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe I just watched his good games I guess. Never seen Pollard run anything like Mixon, always accelerates fast, hits the holes

I say he ran like Mixon as in he had 4.0 yards per carry. That's bad. Especially behind a good line like the one Dallas has

(03-06-2024, 11:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I say he ran like Mixon as in he had 4.0 yards per carry. That's bad. Especially behind a good line like the one Dallas has

Their OL hasn't been near as good lately either though.
(03-06-2024, 11:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Their OL hasn't been near as good lately either though.

I'd still consider it good. Definitely better than the one in cincinnati

(03-06-2024, 11:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Pollard stunk once he got the full time role, Or maybe that injury 2 seasons ago still lingered? Idk

He wasn't very good last year. It just seemed like the running game really just never got into sync. They did lose Kellen Moore as they're OC for last year so maybe that played a factor. If Pollard was an acquisition I would certainly want it to be in a committee role. But I think we need to be focusing on that next year regardless of who is in the backfield.
(03-06-2024, 11:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe I just watched his good games I guess. Never seen Pollard run anything like Mixon, always accelerates fast, hits the holes

He was bad last year. But he definitely showed the big play potential the year before. That's what I would be betting on and would want a RBBC with Pollard, Brown and another back. 
(03-06-2024, 11:45 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He wasn't very good last year. It just seemed like the running game really just never got into sync. They did lose Kellen Moore as they're OC for last year so maybe that played a factor. If Pollard was an acquisition I would certainly want it to be in a committee role. But I think we need to be focusing on that next year regardless of who is in the backfield.

(03-06-2024, 11:48 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He was bad last year. But he definitely showed the big play potential the year before. That's what I would be betting on and would want a RBBC with Pollard, Brown and another back. 

just re-sign mixon for cheaper if you want a committee with Brown and another back

(03-06-2024, 11:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I'd still consider it good. Definitely better than the one in cincinnati

Well, yeah lol  Hilarious

Sucks to have to laugh at that.  Mellow

(03-06-2024, 11:48 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He was bad last year. But he definitely showed the big play potential the year before. That's what I would be betting on and would want a RBBC with Pollard, Brown and another back. 

If we do get a back like Pollard we would have to add a bruising type and I would love that. I want us to get physical again and a selection 
of Braelon Allen, Jonathan Brooks or Trey Benson would probably more than do the job.
(03-06-2024, 11:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: just re-sign mixon for cheaper if you want a committee with Brown and another back

Well you know I'd be all for Mixon. But Pollard does give you the take it to the house speed Mixon doesn't have and while Brown does have that. I worry if we saw enough to trust it. Perhaps any player has to have a certain amount of luck to get thru a year without injury. We have no idea if Chase can get thru a year healthy. While I'm fine with Mixon this year I don't want to find ourselves where he is the sole back we are depending on again.
Not positive the O-lines run blocking is as bad as it appears and with a better back who trust them and accelerates into the holes it would be more apparent.

Mixon did this for about 2 games in midseason it seems and all looked fine. Too early before work for me to research the games now and am in the middle of fantasy baseball preparation for a few weeks anyhow. But most of the time Joe is too hesitant after receiving the hand off which I believe hurts him per he is not a speed demon from a dead stop.

He needs to get going and get behind his pads to be fast and the punishing back some claim he is on a constant. Believe this is why he goes down so easily because he is just starting to get motoring upon contact and not up to full speed. Get going and a RB gets 2 to 3 extra yards per carry just from their forward momentum or breaks the tackle even.

Once in the secondary and Mix has his speed up to par he is a punishing back. But most RB's are at this juncture but too often he gets hit before this happens.

Mixon is good at ball security, receiving out of the backfield, and drawing attention of the law. Yet is merely average at the rest and horrible at blocking on a passing team. He just wants to leak out to fast and become a WR at these times it seems to me which causes him to whiff a lot.

Even if kept the Bengals need to draft another RB imo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !