Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe's Doc "all systems go"
(05-18-2021, 06:52 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: What's the point of Burrow having to start week 1 of the season? Why not just start him for the Jacksonville game at the end of September (30th) game 4. Especially since this is a longer season.

With the weapons the Bengals have and an improved offensive line (supposedly), plus an upgraded defense (supposedly), I think Brandon Allen can hold it down the first 3 weeks. Plus that gives the Bengals time to evaluate the O-line for 3 weeks without Burrow getting hit. I think those first 3 games are winnable with a backup QB under center (Vikings, Bears, Sqeelers). I would play it on the safe side and look at it for the long haul.

1. That's not looking at it for the long haul
2. You don't sit a healthy person because, "you think it would be better for the long haul." Why not just never play him, because you want to save him for, "games that matter?" It's the same mentality.
3. No chance in hell does this scenario happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 07:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. That's not looking at it for the long haul
2. You don't sit a healthy person because, "you think it would be better for the long haul." Why not just never play him, because you want to save him for, "games that matter?" It's the same mentality.

Yup

And Joe isn't the type that's just gonna stand there with a clipboard if he's fully healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 06:52 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: What's the point of Burrow having to start week 1 of the season?  Why not just start him for the Jacksonville game at the end of September (30th) game 4.  Especially since this is a longer season.

With the weapons the Bengals have and an improved offensive line (supposedly), plus an upgraded defense (supposedly),  I think Brandon Allen can hold it down the first 3 weeks.  Plus that gives the Bengals time to evaluate the O-line for 3 weeks without Burrow getting hit.  I think those first 3 games are winnable with a backup QB under center (Vikings, Bears, Sqeelers).  I would play it on the safe side and look at it for the long haul.

Imagine actually believing this.

Don't get me wrong - I'm in the 'we're doomed with this coaching staff even with an All-Pro team' camp, but without Burrow all 3 of those games are L's. At best, the fluke a tie with Chicago or Minnesota. 
Reply/Quote
Joe's a go is music to my ears

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 03:25 PM)pally Wrote: This is awesome news

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31466861/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-track-week-1-dr-neal-elattrache-says

Great day, this is even better news than Carman and the rest of the picks getting signed besides Chase and Ossai.

I thought Joe would play opening day but we have had expectations many times broken before around here.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 07:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. That's not looking at it for the long haul

C'mon man...giving the knee an extra 3 weeks rest is not the same as playing only in games that matter mentality.

If Burrow comes out with a brace on his knee, which he probably will, is that not a precaution?  Which is all I'm saying waiting 3 more weeks is, a precaution.  I just don't believe you are 100 percent with that type injury at 9 months.  You can be healthy enough to play but that don't mean you're 100.   Why not take a little extra precaution and sit him some extra weeks?  And there's nothing wrong with being optimistic, I get that, but he could have a setback in training camp and then what!?  He will most likely have to sit some weeks.

Hey, I'm going to turn 63 yrs old soon.  I have been a Bengals fan since they came into existence.  I would like nothing more than to see Burrow come back from the injury.  I just don't want it rushed because everyone feels that it's necessary in order for the season to be meaningful.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 09:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great day, this is even better news than Carman and the rest of the picks getting signed besides Chase and Ossai.

I thought Joe would play opening day but we have had expectations many times broken before around here.

Believed he would play as well 

but reassurance from the Doc is welcome news always

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 07:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not only is the recent history indicative of the timeline for tis type of injury, but you would be absolutely amazed at the mental fortitude and power a positive mind can have; for this reason (because Joe clearly is a strong-minded and positive person), it only makes sense that the mental and physical focus, would be on getting better and healing.

Not to mention, as well, as stated by team people and other reports, the guy's swelling went down after 2-3 days or whatever and he was still walking before surgery; the pain tolerance and healing speed of Burrow, is clearly on another level.

Some people laughed at that notion, but the proof is in the... choose your colloquialism.

As AU said, even in this thread, some people just won't accept that he will be ready to go physically; the majority of human beings are completely incapable of empathy or putting themselves in someone else's situations/shoes, thus their own negativity reflects in the things they say/do/way they think, etc.

Thus, because they are incapable of accepting that something GOOD and POSITIVE is happening with this team and after a catastrophic injury to our greatest asset, people still think he won't be ready, when he will be.

As for the mental side, you're right... but, again, his mental fortitude and positive outlook on things, I think will have him ready before week 1.

We're in store for good things this year and I can't wait Big Grin

Yes sir Truck, I am excited brother! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 09:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believed he would play as well 

but reassurance from the Doc is welcome news always

Big time. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 08:14 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Imagine actually believing this.

Don't get me wrong - I'm in the 'we're doomed with this coaching staff even with an All-Pro team' camp, but without Burrow all 3 of those games are L's. At best, the fluke a tie with Chicago or Minnesota. 

Yes... We're getting a lil ahead of ourselves. Until I see otherwise (week 1) we're still a bottom feeder team. We could come outta those games 0-3 WITH Joe Burrow. I do expect improvement, but it's all on paper at this point. Wasn't Chicago a playoff team last year? If not, they were close.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm just glad they could save the leg and dude can walk again. After it happened many around here had doubts, much less play football again..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 06:52 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: What's the point of Burrow having to start week 1 of the season?  Why not just start him for the Jacksonville game at the end of September (30th) game 4.  Especially since this is a longer season.

Didn't you read that other thread?  If ZT tries to keep Burrow on the bench Burrow is either going to kill him or go to a different team where he can start! Ninja

But as far as this notion goes, if we don't need Burrow to beat the Vikings, Bears, or Steelers why would we need him to beat the Jaguars? Heck, the Packers will be starting Bortles or Love after Rodgers leaves, the Ravens has a RB at QB so they're beatable, then we have the ultra crappy Goff-led Lions, then the Ravens again, then the ultra crap Jets, then the same old Browns....we might be able to save Burrow for the playoffs!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 10:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Didn't you read that other thread?  If ZT tries to keep Burrow on the bench Burrow is either going to kill him or go to a different team where he can start! Ninja

But as far as this notion goes, if we don't need Burrow to beat the Vikings, Bears, or Steelers why would we need him to beat the Jaguars? Heck, the Packers will be starting Bortles or Love after Rodgers leaves, the Ravens has a RB at QB so they're beatable, then we have the ultra crappy Goff-led Lions, then the Ravens again, then the ultra crap Jets, then the same old Browns....we might be able to save Burrow for the playoffs!

We should just start him for the Lawrence/ Burrow rematch (you know... for the folks down south), then shut him down til the postseason.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 10:15 PM)jason Wrote: We should just start him for the Lawrence/ Burrow rematch (you know... for the folks down south), then shut him down til the postseason.

Just play Burrow for two plays that game (they'll both be touchdowns) and let Allen mop up.
Reply/Quote
Burrow being back and Burrow being back to old is two different things.

I think it's too early for the I told you so's personally.

But it's a good update and a step in the right direction for the recovery. So far, so good.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 10:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow being back and Burrow being back to old is two different things.

I think it's too early for the I told you so's personally.

But it's a good update and a step in the right direction for the recovery. So far, so good.

*sigh*

The lack of faith in our stud QB is really disheartening; he's not Carsone, he's not Chuck Knoblauch, he's not Padraig Harrington, etc.

It's one thing to not believe in this coaching staff, it's completely another to not believe in what Burrow is capable of.

Our fanbase has to wake up and realise this is a special human being that we have on our hands and the constant bitching, moaning, whining and lamenting, with negativity and pessimism, is completely out of place.

And it's NOTHING about, "I told you so." It's about, "be ******* positive for once in your life, FFS."
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 11:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: *sigh*

The lack of faith in our stud QB is really disheartening; he's not Carsone, he's not Chuck Knoblauch, he's not Padraig Harrington, etc.

It's one thing to not believe in this coaching staff, it's completely another to not believe in what Burrow is capable of.

Our fanbase has to wake up and realise this is a special human being that we have on our hands and the constant bitching, moaning, whining and lamenting, with negativity and pessimism, is completely out of place.

And it's NOTHING about, "I told you so." It's about, "be ******* positive for once in your life, FFS."

Yeah, agree as usual. This is just great news, no need to slam it. Some are just jaded being Bengal fans all these years.
Reply/Quote
Well..it's not exactly as if Bengals fans or the team in general are completely inexperienced with the concept of losing. Hell, we ALL have PhD's when it comes to losing. We could all write post doctoral theses on losing football games so wouldn't it be kind of nice to take a peek at what winning football is kind of like once in awhile? I mean it ain't like any of these guys are underpaid working for $7.25 an hour supporting 5 kids and a greedy wife so I'm fine with any one of them having to play with any injury where they can walk much less run and get tackled by 300 pound human monsters.. I've had to go right back to work when my hand was crushed by an industrial size AC compressor. No fans sitting around questioning whether I should have to go back to work 9 months later.. Hell..I didn't get 9 hours off work much less highly skilled surgeons and the best medical care money could buy.. I kind of have a feeling I'm not the only one here to ever go right back to work with blood still pouring out of a hand or finger..lol
That said if ol Mikey boy calls me up and pays me to take the day off when I get injured I'll take him up on it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 11:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: *sigh*

Eh, I think the concern is he would be our Sam Bradford. Hopefully this is the only time he hurts himself this badly.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 04:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is Burrow going to allow himself to sit out all of the preseason though?  Doesn't seem like him to play scared.  We have a whole thread about how Burrow won't fear contact and game speed.  

Palmer played in the 06 preseason.

He did...I think his first action was game 3 against the Packers.  I know it was only preseason but he lit them up.  Stadium was going nuts...for a preseason game.  

I will add that Palmer's 06 season was one of his best.  His elbow injury later in his career was what really seemed to kill him here.  
Reply/Quote