Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe's Doc "all systems go"
(05-19-2021, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We have the Vikings at home, the Bears, the Steelers and Jacksonville at home. And you don't think we have a very good chance of beating them? Cousins is Cousins, then Andy Dalton, then washed up Ben, and Lawrence. I can very easily see a 4-0 start.

I believe you.  You're the same guy that had us in the AFC Championship in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 12:13 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Wes, i dint feel that way about you....maybe a little...what about going 3-1?

It's certainly possible.  It's not like we open up the season with Murderer's Row.  Although I think saying it is likely is rather absurd.

This team has too many question marks for me to make any sort of positive prediction right now.  And question marks aren't necessairly a bad thing, they're just unanswered.  There's nothing to go off of or to suggest the certainity of great deal of success just yet.  And that's ok.  We'll just have to wait to see.

Here are some examples of question marks:

-Is Joe Burrow fully healthy (mentally and physically)?
-Does Joe Burrow play at a higher level than he did as a rookie?
-Is Carman able to start?
-If Carman does start, is he an immediate upgrade over some of OG combinations last season?
-How does Joe Mixon do on 3rd downs?
-Does Joe Mixon look more like 2018 or 2019 and 2020?
-How quickly will Chase become a factor?
-How does Trae Waynes look in this defense?
-Is Henderson as good or better than Lawson?
-Is CJ Uzomah a factor; does his play resemble the first two games of last year or the rest of his career?
-How have our young Linebackers progressed?
-Can Lou produce a quality defense now that he has different personnel?
-Can Zac Taylor prove he's a legitimate head coach?

I don't really know the answers to any of these just yet.  So it feels silly for me to say that it is likley we'll open up with a fast start.

I mean, let's be honest.  History is not on our side with this Head Coach.  You're talking about a coach who started 0-11 and 2-10 these last two years.

We can hope we open @ 4-0 or 3-1.  We can look for signs that it's a possibilty and within reach.  We can explore all of the positives.  All of this is perfectly ok.  I just don't get those that either throw out guarantees (We will roll the Vikings) or pretend that a certain level of success is likely.

Just trying to be real here.  Not going out of my way to rain on the parade.  I just wish people were more careful with their words.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's certainly possible.  It's not like we open up the season with Murderer's Row.  Although I think saying it is likely is rather absurd.

This team has too many question marks for me to make any sort of positive prediction right now.  And question marks aren't necessairly a bad thing, they're just unanswered.  There's nothing to go off of or to suggest the certainity of great deal of success just yet.  And that's ok.  We'll just have to wait to see.

-If Carman does start, is he an immediate upgrade over some of OG combinations last season?
-Is CJ Uzomah a factor; does his play resemble the first two games of last year or the rest of his career?

I don't really know the answers to any of these just yet.  So it feels silly for me to say that it is likley we'll open up with a fast start.

I mean, let's be honest.  History is not on our side with this Head Coach.  You're talking about a coach who started 0-11 and 2-10 these last two years.

We can hope we open @ 4-0 or 3-1.  We can look for signs that it's a possibilty and within reach.  We can explore all of the positives.  All of this is perfectly ok.  I just don't get those that either throw out guarantees (We will roll the Vikings) or pretend that a certain level of success is likely.

Just trying to be real here.  Not going out of my way to rain on the parade.  I just wish people were more careful with their words.

"Very good chance" is not a guarantee.....
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 01:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: "Very good chance" is not a guarantee.....

Notice the words written after the word "or" in this sentence:

I just don't get those that either throw out guarantees (We will roll the Vikings) or pretend that a certain level of success is likely.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's certainly possible.  It's not like we open up the season with Murderer's Row.  Although I think saying it is likely is rather absurd.

Wes, I believe i posed these questions as well.  Well a lot of the same questions you did but maybe not all. 

A lot of these questions are the reason as a "realist" I can see an 8 or 9 win team or a 4 or 5 win team.  

There are way too many if and buts or what ifs to say this team will come out of the game 4-0. 

Personally, even if all those questions above are answered I can see at best coming out 3-3 out of the gate. 

However, thank you for so eloquently stating the obvious questions this team has going into the 2021 NFL season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 02:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Notice the words written after the word "or" in this sentence:

I just don't get those that either throw out guarantees (We will roll the Vikings) or pretend that a certain level of success is likely.

When one assumes or predicts a very good chance of something happening, it doesn't follow that they are guaranteeing said assumption or prediction. Those are very different statements.
Reply/Quote

I agree with everything you said here. 

I just wish when I read it, I didn't have to hear it in Vince Vaughn's voice....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 09:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I had to look it up but he played in preseason games 1 and 2 and not 3 and 4, apparently. 

It was game three, and he went 9-14 for 140 yards and 3 TDs.

http://www.packershistory.net/2006PACKERS/PRESEASON-GAME3.html
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 04:45 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: It was game three, and he went 9-14 for 140 yards and 3 TDs.

http://www.packershistory.net/2006PACKERS/PRESEASON-GAME3.html

Ah youre right.  The game log on nfl.com had week 4 on top of the list. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals can't keep Burrow in bubble wrap. If the medical professionals say he is good to go then he should play if he feels ready. Yes he is going to get hit, sacked and all the other stresses NFL quarterbacks experience. Hopefully less than last year, but the Bengals have to play him at some point. If that is week one because he is medically cleared and passed all physicals then put him in the game because at his position he gives the Bengals the best chance to win.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Just dip him in bronze and put him in our Coulda Shoulda Woulda HOF! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 05:38 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The Bengals can't keep Burrow in bubble wrap.  If the medical professionals say he is good to go then he should play if he feels ready.   Yes he is going to get hit, sacked and all the other stresses NFL quarterbacks experience.   Hopefully less than last year, but the Bengals have to play him at some point.  If that is week one because he is medically cleared and passed all physicals then put him in the game because at his position he gives the Bengals the best chance to win.

No doubt George. Carson got hurt with one of the best O-line's in football, sometimes shit just happens.

I do think our O-line will be much better than last season with our additions. But even if the OL is great he could go down...

There are no guarantees.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 03:20 PM)Lucidus Wrote: When one assumes or predicts a very good chance of something happening, it doesn't follow that they are guaranteeing said assumption or prediction. Those are very different statements.

The key word you're missing in the post you quoted is "likely".  (I said guaranteeing success or predicting that it is likely).  Hell, I even put the example of the guarantee in parenthesis (We will roll the Vikings) before the "or" in that sentence.

Here is exactly what I wrote:  " I just don't get those that either throw out guarantees (We will roll the Vikings) or pretend that a certain level of success is likely."

If someone says there is a "very good chance" of something that pretty is much synonymous as "likely to happen".

Fwiw, I really don't know how I get dragged into these semantics so often on here.  This is only place I find myself in these types of silly debates.  The poster said there is a very good chance we go 4-0, and I countered that by questioning if he knows what "very good chance" means. 

It really is that simple.  If you're on his side, great.  If you're with me, and you think that is not likely to happen then that's fine too.  There's no sense breaking down such a simple statement any further.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 03:55 PM)The Clapp Wrote: I just wish when I read it, I didn't have to hear it in Vince Vaughn's voice....

I hope you think of this any time I laugh in a post:

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just make sure you hear my laughter like this:

Hilarious Hilarious. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The key word you're missing in the post you quoted is "likely".  (I said guaranteeing success or predicting that it is likely).  Hell, I even put the example of the guarantee in parenthesis (We will roll the Vikings) before the "or" in that sentence.

Here is exactly what I wrote:  " I just don't get those that either throw out guarantees (We will roll the Vikings) or pretend that a certain level of success is likely."

If someone says there is a "very good chance" of something that pretty is much synonymous as "likely to happen".

Fwiw, I really don't know how I get dragged into these semantics so often on here.  This is only place I find myself in these types of silly debates.  The poster said there is a very good chance we go 4-0, and I countered that by questioning if he knows what "very good chance" means. 

It really is that simple.  If you're on his side, great.  If you're with me, and you think that is not likely to happen then that's fine too.  There's no sense breaking down such a simple statement any further.

Let's take a closer look at the bolded:

You use "great" in the first part, then use "fine" in the second part; therefore, there is no need to add "too" after fine.

The words "and you think that is not likely" is a nonessential parenthetical express and requires a comma both at the start and end. It also is not in agreement with the first part of the point, as you failed to employ a similar parenthetical to explain "his" side

Also we must understand that 99% of our sentences use the word "that" when not required. Try removing "that from your sentences...Just do it in the beginning of this sentence.

Also...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Per James Rapien, Burrow threw to Chase and Uzomah yesterday:

'Burrow threw to Chase and Uzomah separate from the rest of the team. He is rehabbing daily at the stadium and is expected to continue his throwing program throughout OTA's.'
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 10:56 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Per James Rapien, Burrow threw to Chase and Uzomah yesterday:

'Burrow threw to Chase and Uzomah separate from the rest of the team. He is rehabbing daily at the stadium and is expected to continue his throwing program throughout OTA's.'

That’s exciting to hear. I wonder if he has a full arsenal of throws available to him or if they are limiting him to say 20 yards at the furthest. Either way, sounds like on a good track to potentially start the season!
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 10:56 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Per James Rapien, Burrow threw to Chase and Uzomah yesterday:

I have said all off-season as people called for another TE that I think Uzomah was going to be a massive part of their plan last year and he and Burrow had established a really good connection in camp. We saw it early in the season before he went down just the sheer number of targets he was getting. I expect even with the talent we have at receiver this year, CJ will still get a really strong amount of targets this year. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:04 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: That’s exciting to hear. I wonder if he has a full arsenal of throws available to him or if they are limiting him to say 20 yards at the furthest. Either way, sounds like on a good track to potentially start the season!

If there are limitations it's probably more about the platform he can throw off of and not so much depth. It was his front leg and not his drive leg so exerting more force on the knee isn't really an issue because of the depth with it being the front leg.
Reply/Quote