Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Miller released
(03-18-2020, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'll say that NOW we are seeing what Taylor can do as a HC. He was hired so late last year he didn't really have a chance.

This has nothing to do with Taylor.  He was here in plenty of time to make moves last year.

All you are seeing are the results of a 2 win season.  If we had been 2-14 in 2018 we would have seen big moves like this last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This has nothing to do with Taylor.  He was here in plenty of time to make moves last year.

All you are seeing are the results of a 2 win season.  If we had been 2-14 in 2018 we would have seen big moves like this last year.

Disagree. Taylor was not going to walk in the door as a brand new coach last year and tell Tobin and Brown what he thought and have any say in anything.  Now that he has coached this team, he knows his needs and has more of a leg to stand on.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This has nothing to do with Taylor.  He was here in plenty of time to make moves last year.

Beat reporters are essentially saying the time they arrived in Cincinnati (Full staff) 100% had a impact on the roster last year. Ben Baby mentioned that the staff didn't feel like they had a good idea on the roster until mid year. Now they know who is or isn't going to work and I think the quick jettison from last year is no coincidence. There were even comments made mid year by the staff about the issues at LB with the beat writers predicting the whole room was getting cleaned out after the season.

We have had 4 win seasons that didn't have any FA movement so just being bad isn't the only contributing factor here.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We still have Jordan, Price and Fred, who have some experience

Jordan has played in only 13 NFL games.

Price is terrible and can not be seriously considered as a starter.

Fred Johnson has played in only 6 NFL games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jordan has played in only 13 NFL games.

Price is terrible and can not be seriously considered as a starter.

Fred Johnson has played in only 6 NFL games.

But that's experience. I didn't say they were good.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Patriots are on a trading spree right now, just shipped out a safety. I still think Gabe Jackson makes more sense.

The delay makes me think it's due to a contract extension being worked out.  Of course, depending on Dalton's destination, it may not necessarily be a guy known to be on the trade block.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But that's experience. I didn't say they were good.

Less than 1 full season is not experienced. That’s like saying a rookie will be experienced once he’s got a couple games under his belt.

Only Price has played a significant amount, and he’s terrible.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: Beat reporters are essentially saying the time they arrived in Cincinnati (Full staff) 100% had a impact on the roster last year. Ben Baby mentioned that the staff didn't feel like they had a good idea on the roster until mid year. Now they know who is or isn't going to work and I think the quick jettison from last year is no coincidence. There were even comments made mid year by the staff about the issues at LB with the beat writers predicting the whole room was getting cleaned out after the season.

We have had 4 win seasons that didn't have any FA movement so just being bad isn't the only contributing factor here.

That is contrary to everything I have ever read about hiring new coaches.  They always claim that during the interviews for new coaches a major part of the discussion is the current roster and what plans the new coach has for changes.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is contrary to everything I have ever read about hiring new coaches.  They always claim that during the interviews for new coaches a major part of the discussion is the current roster and what plans the new coach has for changes.

you can only learn so much from tape.  What you don't learn is work ethic, ability to grasp the playbook, discipline, attitude, clubhouse compatibility, leadership, coachability, etc

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is contrary to everything I have ever read about hiring new coaches.  They always claim that during the interviews for new coaches a major part of the discussion is the current roster and what plans the new coach has for changes.

C'mon Fred, you know Taylor was hired late, and the DC was hired EXTREMELY late .
Reply/Quote

If he could've been here right after regular season like the average coaching hire then maybe so. His head was wrapped around playing in the SB imo. I cant imagine even staying up all night every night having enough time to relocate a family, hire coaches, evaluate the current roster and scout for the draft in such a short time as a first time HC. Lou couldnt even do his post hire presser until after the combine because there wasnt enough time to brush his teeth in time to catch a plane to the combine. Zac lost well over a month of eval time all things considered, with no DC until way late in the game. I just cant put normal expectations on that personally.
Reply/Quote
I’d take big Whit back at OG over any of the guys currently on the roster.

Reply/Quote

Truth is, none of us have any idea what goes on behind closed doors. For all we know, this was Taylor's vision. Tank in 2019, then rebuild with draft and free agency in 2020. Maybe that's what sold the Bengals on Taylor.

Or maybe the Bengals have 90% say on roster moves, and always have. Including back when everyone was saying Marv was the mastermind.

Either way, I think it's a little unfair that so many credited Marvin Lewis when he was around, then turn around and give all credit to the front office when it's Taylor.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Flabbergasted that this would happen... our best G by far.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:47 PM)pally Wrote:

Holy crap and stuff, doing what a good run team should do. Cutting Glenn and now Miller?

They will add O-lineman. They are seeing mediocrity is not where it is at. Loving this.

I am starting to gain some confidence in Zac a bit, this isn't like the past.
Reply/Quote

There is what you think you know, and then there is what you actually know once you get in meeting rooms with people and try to actually coach them on the field. It is kind of similar to the struggles of free agency in that sense and why sometimes free agents don't work out but it's not for a lack of success at their previous stop. Styles matter and once you get to work styles can clash.
Reply/Quote
I think the truth is a mix of what everybody above is saying, but ALSO it's because they anticipate shedding Dalton's salary and having a new QB on a rookie salary. That hasn't been true here in years, hence last year the nickel and dimed it.

Releasing Miller can only mean another move is coming, as we didn't save all that much. I could see it being any of:

Daryl Williams
Trade for Gabe Jackson
Trade for Thuney (albeit unlikely)

Really remote chance of Whit.

I will add their faith in Jordan at LG is justifiable. He was an early entry junior who never redshirted. He was a project pick who was never supposed to start, but what happened with Boling and Glenn forced it. He was a kid battling grown men, and I do expect a major leap. If he had stayed in school for his senior year I bet he's a 2nd round pick in this class.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Flabbergasted that this would happen... our best G by far.

Not by far, Miller was mediocre to bad and we will add a Guard now for sure. This is a good move.

Freeing up dough and them recognizing that we just aren't good enough at RG is a great thing to see.

I would be more concerned if they were fine with Miller's play, he isn't getting any better, Jordan and Price might as they are young.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not by far, Miller was mediocre to bad and we will add a Guard now for sure. This is a good move.

Freeing up dough and them recognizing that we just aren't good enough at RG is a great thing to see.

I would be more concerned if they were fine with Miller's play, he isn't getting any better, Jordan and Price might as they are young.

Miller is actually only one year older than Price...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:55 PM)pally Wrote:

I said this before, will say it again....

Andy Dalton and AJ Green to the Patriots
Joe Thurney and a (2021?) 2nd round pick (or 2020 3rd) to the Bengals

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote