Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross “healthy scratch” right? He posted this.
(12-15-2017, 04:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: Oh C'mon .. You're trying to spoil the narrative that Marv has some sort of vendetta against us winning games or just flat out hates John Ross for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I suspect Marvin does know a thing or two about a thing or two about whether a player is ready or not, but whaddo I know? 

Essentially fans are advocating giving Ross playing time based on his draft position and not actual performance in practice.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: Oh C'mon .. You're trying to spoil the narrative that Marv has some sort of vendetta against us winning games or just flat out hates John Ross for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I suspect Marvin does know a thing or two about a thing or two about whether a player is ready or not, but whaddo I know? 

Oh there's a reason. We just don't know what exactly it is. As for the vendetta against winning games? That is completely false... He just sucks as a head coach. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:34 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So I am supposed to believe that a guy is ready to play just off a handful of practice plays? I mean come on people it's a glorified practice highlight film of course there only going to show his good plays. Anyways I am also to believe Marvin won't play him but he will play rookies like Malone, Mixion, and Glasgow. Oh and he also played Boyd last year a lot. Be honest with yourself Marvin knows more football than you and he doesn't think Ross is at the point where he can contribute.
This. But folks have a mission and that mission is everything must be Marvin's fault. I felt the same way earlier in the year when Mr. 3.3 YPC, said he should get more carries. Everybody said, you know what this underperforming rookie is right and a respected HC in the NFL is wrong.

(12-15-2017, 04:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Does Ross look injured to you? 
He did not.

Is he taking hits or blocking anyone in the clips?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Ross was doing great in practice it would be even more reason for Merv. NOT to play him. He's one of those coaches who doesn't want to be proven wrong. He didn't want Ross, Ross looks promising, Lewis capitalizes on Ross fumble and benches him for the year so Ross looks like a bust... But would Marvin really try to sabotage this guys career? I don't doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:03 PM)Takedown Wrote: If Ross was doing great in practice it would be even more reason for Merv. NOT to play him. He's one of those coaches who doesn't want to be proven wrong. He didn't want Ross, Ross looks promising, Lewis capitalizes on Ross fumble and benches him for the year so Ross looks like a bust... But would Marvin really try to sabotage this guys career? I don't doubt it.

The utter insanity in this thread is truly remarkable.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:12 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: The utter insanity in this thread is truly remarkable.
What do you KNOW? We know Marvin doesn't like Ross. Or at least it looks pretty damn obvious.
Reply/Quote
There was a story recently that claimed Marv didn't like the pick. Then this footage surfaces of Ross burning dudes and making leaping grabs in practice recently. Even Marv apologists have to admit it doesn't look good. You'd think anyways.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There was a story recently that claimed Marv didn't like the pick. Then this footage surfaces of Ross burning dudes and making leaping grabs in practice recently. Even Marv apologists have to admit it doesn't look good. You'd think anyways.
So you think Marvin is going to ruin his whole reputation over a rookie WR?  There is way more to this story than a handful of practice clips.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:12 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: The utter insanity in this thread is truly remarkable.

Is it all that surprising? There are people who claim Dalton isn't a good QB, that he doesn't win games, that he has a weak arm, etc. Heck, there are a couple that legitimtaely believe the NFL fixes games. Why, then, would it be surprising that there are those who think Merv is out to ruin Ross's career?

Especially when it's clear Merv wants to help the Steelers out in any way he can. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:41 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So you think Marvin is going to ruin his whole reputation over a rookie WR? There is way more to this story than a handful of practice clips.

Did he look healthy or not? Did he look good or not? And how would Marv ruin his reputation? Most seem to be buying into the idea that Ross is a bust...and having a vendetta against 1 rookie isn't going to ruin his reputation. C'mon now. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it all that surprising? There are people who claim Dalton isn't a good QB, that he doesn't win games, that he has a weak arm, etc. Heck, there are a couple that legitimtaely believe the NFL fixes games. Why, then, would it be surprising that there are those who think Merv is out to ruin Ross's career?

Especially when it's clear Merv wants to help the Steelers out in any way he can. Mellow

Ruin his career is a bit strong. I think Marv is just making points on his way out.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ruin his career is a bit strong. I think Marv is just making points on his way out.

I think his strongest point is how halftime adjustments are just journalistic jargon. You? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
This small sample of practice snaps raises questions, but is far from conclusive. As others have pointed out, there might be 50 more snaps where he's running the wrong route, or dropping passes. Who knows.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 05:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Did he look healthy or not? Did he look good or not? And how would Marv ruin his reputation? Most seem to be buying into the idea that Ross is a bust...and having a vendetta against 1 rookie isn't going to ruin his reputation. C'mon now. 

Idk I am not a doctor and I didn't see him take any physical contact. Wasn't it his shoulder that was hurt and not his legs. Isn't that why he went on IR? I think screwing over a player for no reason would ruin his rep around the league especially if it was "the owners pick". I am assuming the guy will want to coach again at some point.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:34 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So I am supposed to believe that a guy is ready to play just off a handful of practice plays? I mean come on people it's a glorified practice highlight film of course there only going to show his good plays. Anyways I am also to believe Marvin won't play him but he will play rookies like Malone, Mixion, and Glasgow. Oh and he also played Boyd last year a lot. Be honest with yourself Marvin knows more football than you and he doesn't think Ross is at the point where he can contribute.

He could have probably contributed a lot by just running 9's over and over, even if he never had one thrown his way.

He was never even allowed to make a single mistake without being benched or berated publicly.  What rookie can stand up to that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I really don't think Marvin would keep a talent off the field, unless he had good reason to do so. There has to be more to the story.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:41 PM)Utts Wrote: I really don't think Marvin would keep a talent off the field, unless he had good reason to do so. There has to be more to the story.

Marvin has kept talent off the field many times before for what he considered to be the solid vet types.

Many times, Thornton over Sims, Livings over Mathis, Geathers over Dunlap, Shawn over Derron, MJ over Willis,
Lafell over Erickson/Malone/Core/Ross etc.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:23 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Idk I am not a doctor and I didn't see him take any physical contact. Wasn't it his shoulder that was hurt and not his legs. Isn't that why he went on IR? I think screwing over a player for no reason would ruin his rep around the league especially if it was "the owners pick". I am assuming the guy will want to coach again at some point.

None of us *know* anything on this. Just an opinion based on some evidence. I'm no doctor either, but I'd think someone with a bad shoulder wouldn't be making acrobatic overhead catches.

As for Marv coaching again, we don't know on that either. I'm assuming Marv is done and will only come back in an advisory role. Just the feeling I get.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to hear from Paul Harvey on this and find out the rest of the story.

I don't think I'm going out on to much of a limb to say there's probably a good bit more to this story than we know.
Reply/Quote
Ross pissed me off with this. You NEVER send out video from practice. It's one thing for the team to release certain video. It's another for a player to do it. If he were healthy right now, I would recommend benching his ass for the remainder of the year as punishment for doing so.

As to his health, did he in fact get a surgery?
Reply/Quote