Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross Haters
I'll happily eat crow. I was confident in the pick when it was made when people were calling it a Heyward-Bey level pick. I pointed out in multiple posts that he was more than just a speed demon. He ran routes in college that were professional level and had good hands (despite some drops so far in his professional career).

My confidence in him was shaken by two straight bad years and then not playing the pre-season seemed like just another case of "This guy is just made of glass."

But now that he's had his breakout game, I am extremely excited to see what he can offer for the remainder of the season. Obviously, you can't expect this every week, but if he can continue good production, particularly of the "chunk play" variety, then his selection may end up being worth it after all.

I'm still worried about injuries, but I'm no longer worried about his inability to find a place in our offense when healthy.

I knew Marvin was bad for this team in a lot of ways, and this may be just another example of him and his chosen coaches not knowing how to properly use a player.
Reply/Quote
I will happily eat crow once he disproves my biggest issue with him, health. If he can stay healthy and productive for an extended period of time I will gladly admit that I was wrong. One game is a start and it was a huge step forward for him but it is a bit premature to present that as proof against the doubters.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:34 PM)HuDey Wrote: I will happily eat crow once he disproves my biggest issue with him, health. If he can stay healthy and productive for an extended period of time I will gladly admit that I was wrong. One game is a start and it was a huge step forward for him but it is a bit premature to present that as proof against the doubters.

Maybe, but as you said, it's a huge step forward. I've been on the fence about Ross for awhile. He has lacked confidence and yesterday should give him a boost. So, if he stays healthy, I wouldn't think he would regress. Here's to hoping yesterday was only the beginning. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll jump out there. I've been saying he is a major disappointment. He had an epic game, but I still feel that way, since it is only one game. Did he make a step into the right direction? Yes, in a major way. 800+ yards, 6+ TD's and i'll b satisfied he has turned the corner, for the year. We will see what the long term does. Dalton had a career game as well. Crowning him too?
Reply/Quote
I have defended ross against the extreme haters. Posted a list of really good wrs who didn't do much their first two seasons.

On the other hand i have posted stats showing that ross's numbers last year (catch%, yds per target) were among the very worst by any wr with at least 50 targets over the last decade.

I am thrilled shitless to see him have a game like this. Funny thing is that his defenders often argued that the problem was he was targeted deep too often, but his big numbers Sunday were due to being targeted deep.

Ross may be effective on short routes, but short routes don't keep the safety deep. A deep threat may not have big catch numbers but he will create yards for other receivers by keeping the defense loose.
Reply/Quote
I'm eating a little bit of crow this morning & hope I have to eat a truckload this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Agreed

So, they should be happy to eat crow. I think I saw Bonnie eat crow in another thread, impressive bit not surprising and I don;t recall her big basher of anything.

I've toyed with the notion of calling Ross a bust, but like several of our players, I was willing to see what ZT and Co. could do with our guys. So, I was getting antsy with Ross. He showed up big time yesterday, and I'm happy to see it. I guess you could serve me a wing of crow....lol.

You think it's bad here, I saw a post in a Bengals football group on Facebook that said Andy played like ass, and another one blamed the loss on him. It's bizarre.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I am not surprised he had a game like this he is a good player. Now can he keep it up is the bigger question.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'd fall into the general hater category around here most of the time. Still, I've never been a big John Ross hater. I was actually pretty excited when they drafted him. I thought he could be at least a poor man's DeSean Jackson and that he'd make the WR corps difficult to defend.

Now, was I expecting anything from him after 2 seasons like 17 and 18? Can't lie. I absolutely was not. I thought he was too fragile and mentally beaten down at this point.

If he can clean up his game and get more confident, then it's a huge thing for this team in the long term, and short term. I feel like the staff is going to let him do his thing, pass or fail and continue to throw the ball his way in hope that it tightens up. It might be just what he needs. That and to stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 02:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: You think it's bad here, I saw a post in a Bengals football group on Facebook that said Andy played like ass, and another one blamed the loss on him. It's bizarre.

I believe it. Some on these very forums have done the same.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 02:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've toyed with the notion of calling Ross a bust, but like several of our players, I was willing to see what ZT and Co. could do with our guys. So, I was getting antsy with Ross. He showed up big time yesterday, and I'm happy to see it. I guess you could serve me a wing of crow....lol.

You think it's bad here, I saw a post in a Bengals football group on Facebook that said Andy played like ass, and another one blamed the loss on him. It's bizarre.

It was like that in the Game Day thread yesterday. Funny, most of those people forgot they were bashing those players yesterday and praising today.....
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 02:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've toyed with the notion of calling Ross a bust, but like several of our players, I was willing to see what ZT and Co. could do with our guys. So, I was getting antsy with Ross. He showed up big time yesterday, and I'm happy to see it. I guess you could serve me a wing of crow....lol.

All you have to do to see that here is go to the Andy Dalton subforum of Jungle Noise.  There are at least a couple of threads blaming him for the loss.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'll happily eat crow. I was confident in the pick when it was made when people were calling it a Heyward-Bey level pick. I pointed out in multiple posts that he was more than just a speed demon. He ran routes in college that were professional level and had good hands (despite some drops so far in his professional career).

My confidence in him was shaken by two straight bad years and then not playing the pre-season seemed like just another case of "This guy is just made of glass."

But now that he's had his breakout game, I am extremely excited to see what he can offer for the remainder of the season. Obviously, you can't expect this every week, but if he can continue good production, particularly of the "chunk play" variety, then his selection may end up being worth it after all.

I'm still worried about injuries, but I'm no longer worried about his inability to find a place in our offense when healthy.

I knew Marvin was bad for this team in a lot of ways, and this may be just another example of him and his chosen coaches not knowing how to properly use a player.

Nice to see someone take ownership even if it is someone I don't recall constantly bashing Ross.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:09 PM)Earendil Wrote: All you have to do to see that here is go to the Andy Dalton subforum of Jungle Noise.  There are at least a couple of threads blaming him for the loss.

For real? Some people's kids..... Rolleyes 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:34 PM)HuDey Wrote: I will happily eat crow once he disproves my biggest issue with him, health. If he can stay healthy and productive for an extended period of time I will gladly admit that I was wrong. One game is a start and it was a huge step forward for him but it is a bit premature to present that as proof against the doubters.

What's the criteria for extended period of time? He was available for 13 games last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I don't think people who wished Ross would produce and were frustrated by his injuries should eat any crow.

That would probably be everyone including me.

You toyed with the notions, yet used restraint while many did not and attacked the kid at every turn.

AD did not have a perfect game so yep it is all his fault  Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:59 PM)McC Wrote: Hate might be too strong of a word.   At the very least, Marvin did seem to at least resent him.

I've said for a long time ML didn't go an inch out of his way to do Ross any favors. And I think the John Ross saga is the perfect illustration of the weakest part of ML's coaching abilities, or more precisely his coaching failures.

To be a great boss or NFL HC  you have to be able to read guys. Some need a tongue lashing on occasion, some need a kick in the behind, and some need reassuring and confidence building and it seems Ross falls into the later category.

I don't think ML even once tried to incorporate what Ross could do well into the game plan. ML said we're running our offense and you either fit in or else. He never once tried to build Ross's confidence.

And that was his way with the bulk of the players.

Who knows what happens with Ross moving forward ? But my confidence in him took a giant step forward yesterday.
Reply/Quote

I guess if playing like ass gets you leading the NFL in passing yards in week 1 including breaking records with a 106.5 QB rating. I want some more ass please !  Shocked

oops, can I say that on here ?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Nice to see someone take ownership even if it is someone I don't recall constantly bashing Ross.

I don't think I was a notorious John Ross hater. I think I was more in the "disappointed thus far" camp. I did call him a "bust so far" a few times. 
hereherehereherehere, here. None of them are ranting and raving hatred, but I call him a disappointment, bust or bad pick on a number of occasions haha.

I went into this season thinking "If he can stay healthy and give us a few touchdowns, that's probably a win."

I was not of the "let's just cut him" camp because that camp is full of a bunch of crazies. Why cut a player with premium attributes before you have to? I understand not giving him the 5th year option, but not even keeping him for the full length of his contract just seems silly to me.

Obviously, our expectations will be higher after this week. It'll be exciting to see how teams adjust to him and if he can adjust back. Last year he had a good number of touchdowns. If he can stay anywhere near that level of point production while upping his yardage production, he could be an absolute star. The sky's the limit with ZT at the helm. Only time will tell :).
Reply/Quote
Nice game from JR. Hopefully his mind isn’t fragile to where opponents can inside there and take him outta the game.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote