Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
John Ross WR4
(08-28-2017, 04:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Height and weight.

But Antonio Brown and Steve smith overcame that.

And there's this other guy named Edelman.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:05 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Yeah, making the far exceptions the rule.  Steve Smith and Brown are the far, far, far outliers - But let's use them. 

It's like when Tyler Mahle gets compared to Greg Maddux.  Both have good control!

Desean Jackson, tyreek hill, Brandin cooks, Doug Baldwin, Emmanuel sanders, Randall Cobb.... I can proabably keep going.

Oh yea odell Beckham jr.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals draft for the future. He'll be the #2 next year after LaFell gives us one more solid season.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:26 PM)McC Wrote: And there's this other guy named Edelman.

In fairness, Edelman wouldn't be much to write home about without Brady/that system. He also has like 20lbs on Ross, and I don't believe he had surgery on both knees before entering the NFL.

Just look at Welker. Crap with Miami, greatness with Patriots, meh with Denver.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 07:58 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Desean Jackson, tyreek hill, Brandin cooks, Doug Baldwin, Emmanuel sanders, Randall Cobb.... I can proabably keep going.  

Oh yea odell Beckham jr.

Someone on this list isn't like the others... Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Brady, Drew Brees... lol

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 08:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Someone on this list isn't like the others... Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Brady, Drew Brees... lol

Replace Fitzpatrick with mariota and you may have a point. But hill was dynamic last year and one of the biggest reasons for their success.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:07 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Has a top 10 WR pick ever broke preseason as the WR4  on a respective team?

It's truly hilarious to see happen.

With all of the needs on the team, they took a DHB / Ted Ginn clone, who does not posses the physical traits to be a every down WR in the league.

Have to wait a see how it turns out. I was not a fan of the pick either with better players on the board. But the team felt LaFell and Boyd just didn't have the speed to truly complement AJ Green on the other side and from that viewpoint they are correct.

We have not had a WR draft pick start week one since AJ Green. But Ross was a top 10 pick, which is why I didn't like the pick. Too high for a speed guy with limited size coming off an injury.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:01 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Replace Fitzpatrick with mariota and you may have a point.  But hill was dynamic last year and one of the biggest reasons for their success.

He averaged under 9.7 yards per catch for 593 yards as a WR. Giovani Bernard averaged 9.6 yards per catch on 472 yards as a RB in 2015.

DeSean Jackson averaged 22.5 yards per catch in 2010.

I'd actually argue Randall Cobb probably also doesn't belong on that list. Cobb is a #2 who failed as a #1 when Jordy Nelson was out.

Emmanuel Sanders... I am not 100% sure if he'd succeed as a #1, but the fact is he's done all his work as a #2 behind Demaryius Thomas and put up less numbers than him in each of their three years together. I think he might fall under the TJ Housh/Eric Decker category of being a great #2, but probably not #1 material.

- - - - - -

That said, I agree with DeSean Jackson, Brandin Cooks, Doug Baldwin, and I would add TY Hilton to your list.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:18 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Have to wait a see how it turns out. I was not a fan of the pick either with better players on the board. But the team felt LaFell and Boyd just didn't have the speed to truly complement AJ Green on the other side and from that viewpoint they are correct.

We have not had a WR draft pick start week one since AJ Green. But Ross was a top 10 pick, which is why I didn't like the pick. Too high for a speed guy with limited size coming off an injury.

I get it.  I hated the pick too.  I wanted OJ howard, Allen or Foster. 

Guys who can come in, Day 1, and play 

Hell if ross is 'project' and coming in as our 4th WR option, it goes against everything else our fans think, that we can compete this year.

Cause, teams in their prime, or in contention,  they bring in players to help now.  Cause NFL windows slam shut. 

You wouldnt take a flier on a top 10 'project' that you dont intend to use, if you think you can win now.  ESPECIALLY when a number of their recent #1s have failed to do squat on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:39 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I get it.  I hated the pick too.  I wanted OJ howard, Allen or Foster. 

Hell if ross is 'project' and coming in as our 4th WR option, it goes against everything else our fans think, that we can compete this year.

Cause, teams in their prime, or in contention,  they bring in players to help now.  Cause NFL windows slam shut. 

You wouldnt take a flier on a top 10 'project' that you dont intend to use, if you think you can win now.  ESPECIALLY when a number of their recent #1s have failed to do squat on the field. 

When you realize Mike Brown owns the team, all decisions then become explained and make sense because they don't make sense.

Reply/Quote
Was not in love with the selection on draft day.

Wanted a O-lineman or pass rusher.

Yet am not going to judge the man on his first preseason game after becoming healthy.

Too early for judgement on kids play.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I know its early, but we have all been waiting to see this guy and his blazing speed....no catches in the game was disapointing but we need to give this time to turn into what the team drafted him for. Still, its really hard when I'm seeing highlight reel hits by Ruben Foster on the Niners...a guy we could of had.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 04:25 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: John Ross does not have the physical attributes to be a #1 WR like AJ Green. 

I believe people said that about Antonio Brown when he was drafted that he could not be a #1 WR... because of the same reasoning you are stating for Ross.. how is that reasoning working out for Brown... 
Reply/Quote
Are there really Bengals fans that are ready to say bust after a couple of plays in one preseason game? My God, give someone a chance. He is the WR4 because he hasn't played much yet.

Also, saying that John Ross can't help now is bs. You really don't think that a speedster on the same field wont give A.J. Green some more open looks? This team needed another home run hitter and we got one.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I believe people said that about Antonio Brown when he was drafted that he could not be a #1 WR... because of the same reasoning you are stating for Ross.. how is that reasoning working out for Brown... 

Brown was drafted in the 6th round. 

No comparison.   He is a fluke.   And was not intended to even be a steelers top 1 or 2 WR when drafted.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:02 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Brown was drafted in the 6th round. 

No comparison.   He is a fluke.   And was not intended to even be a steelers top 1 or 2 WR when drafted.  

yes it is.. he was down graded for size etc.. even when he started to perform well.. he was put into the box of a #2 /slot type WR only... so very good comparision actually

Finally the draft position means zero when you practice and step on the field .. how you play is what matters.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:58 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Are there really Bengals fans that are ready to say bust after a couple of plays in one preseason game? My God, give someone a chance. He is the WR4 because he hasn't played much yet.

Also, saying that John Ross can't help now is bs.  You really don't think that a speedster on the same field wont give A.J. Green some more open looks? This team needed another home run hitter and we got one.

Im not calling him  bust.

He is a bad fit for a team with more pressing needs

They just drafted boyd 1 year ago as well.   
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:02 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Brown was drafted in the 6th round. 

All this is irrelevant nonsense.  You said Ross doesn't have the physical attributes to be a 1.  You just brought up this crap when you were faced on the size thing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:39 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I get it.  I hated the pick too.  I wanted OJ howard, Allen or Foster. 

I wasn't a big fan of OJ Howard. I felt he was going to be more like Gresham big fast and athletic yes great online blocker yes...but I don't feel he had the short area quickness and body control like Eifert to make him a great receiver.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:04 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Im not calling him  bust.

He is a bad fit for a team with more pressing needs

They just drafted boyd 1 year ago as well.   

The Bengals valued his skill set more at that draft order over what ever pressing need you believe they should have drafted at 10.. also early signs are they might have had a hell of a draft with Lawson and Willis.. way too early for this type of thread actually, so im done feeding it
Reply/Quote