Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
John Ross WR4
(08-28-2017, 11:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Bengals valued his skill set more at that draft order over what ever pressing need you believe they should have drafted at 10.. also early signs are they might have had a hell of a draft with Lawson and Willis.. way too early for this type of thread actually, so im done feeding it

I love Lawson, Willis, Malone

I detest the Elliot pick and wanted Asiata or Jermaine Eluemunor on the Oline in the 5th instead  

And I wanted Foster, Allen or Howard in 1
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I can't think of a player who would have been a significantly better pick.

At the time, I may have said Johnathan Allen or Derek Barnett, but then we got Willis and Lawson in the 3rd and 4th round, making me kind of happy we didn't get a pass rusher in the first round.

Beyond that, Hooker could have been a selection, but we have two safeties signed long term and two relatively good prospects behind them, he would have sat for at least a year, if not 2.

Didn't need CB, No RB worth taking that high, didn't need QB.

There were no offensive linemen worth that pick. If we were to take Robinson, he'd also not be starting and in addition we'd have reached pretty far down the chart.

I suppose you could make an argument for Haason Reddick or Reuben Foster but I believe we have a good LB core, plus Lewis doesn't really value them that much anyway in the first round.

The only player I could see possibly being a better choice would be O.J. Howard, but that selection would have basically put a fork in Tyler Eifert's Bengal career, which isn't necessarily a good thing and then, on top of that, he STILL would probably be 3rd string TE this year anyway.

And I don't know where this thought that we don't need a WR came from. Yes, LaFell is a decent player, but he's not long term starter material. And Boyd is good, but more of a slot guy that relies on route running. Malone is an unproven rookie. Relying on Erickson or Core is silly and the rest of the WR core is practice squad fodder and below.

Why did we not need a WR? Did people forget Dalton threw a career low TD passes last year? We needed an offensive playmaker!

Ross provides something our offense lacks: a speedy threat that can take it to the house from any point on the field and also takes pressure off of Green. That, in my opinion, is the biggest impact we could've gotten at 9 with the options at hand, regardless of whether or not Ross is considered the #4 WR or the #2 WR.

It's odd that people are still complaining about them, even with the full knowledge of what happened in the draft after his selection.

I pretty much agree with everything except Howard. True he would be behind Eifert but for how long? We all know he's unreliable. Howard would have been just as nice of a weapon to have and as a blocker. Also would give us some options when Eifert is a FA at the end of the year.

The other would have been LB since Burfict is a FA. But like you said they seem to shy away from LB's that high after Rivers. Foster had his own baggage and I really didn't get all the Reddick hype. Most of the time we only use 2 LB's anyway.

So I guess if it was me Howard would have been my pick. But the season hasent even started yet and who knows Ross could be freakin awesome. I'm not gonna knock the kid, not his fault we drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:58 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Are there really Bengals fans that are ready to say bust after a couple of plays in one preseason game? My God, give someone a chance. He is the WR4 because he hasn't played much yet.

Also, saying that John Ross can't help now is bs.  You really don't think that a speedster on the same field wont give A.J. Green some more open looks? This team needed another home run hitter and we got one.

Couple of the underneath routes to I think Erickson were wide open because the DB had to follow Ross and keep a safety over the top..... He doesn't need catches to make an impact so I agree with you 100%
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:07 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Has a top 10 WR pick ever broke preseason as the WR4  on a respective team?

It's truly hilarious to see happen.

With all of the needs on the team, they took a DHB / Ted Ginn clone, who does not posses the physical traits to be a every down WR in the league.

I forget, did you piss and moan like this after the draft or did you wait until the Bengals gave him a handful of snaps in one preseason game?

It is going to be fun watching you eat crow on Ross, but go ahead and dish out all the negativity now.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 2.  Anyone who doesn't think WR was a need is in denial.  Our offense stunk without AJ and was OK with him.

OC might be a troll, or just a feminine hygiene product, but this is a point that so many have failed to understand.  When they faced a team that would roll coverage every time to AJ and never give him space, the Bengals didn't have an answer.  They may have sustained drives, got a few points, made a few plays, but the margin for error was paper thin with guys that simply don't generate any separation.

Eifert is a huge asset to this offense, especially in the red zone, but Ross is the piece that has been missing to open things up underneath for guys like Boyd, Uzo/Kroft, and even Hewitt and the RBs out of the backfield.  

Many won't understand it until they see it, but trust me, Ross is what they have needed since they lost Henry and they aren't going to show everything in the preseason.  

He many not get 70 receptions, but he will impact the offense and create some big plays that help this offense become more explosive overnight.

Core and Malone are great "up and comers", but Ross is a polished weapon that will make an immediate difference. 

I guess for those with their heads up their rectum, I should clarify that he will make an immediate difference IN THE REGULAR AND POST SEASON.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is this guy in SD named Williams drafted in round 1 that has not seen the field yet. He was pick #7 and went before Ross.

C'mon now, Luvn, where is the blind hate and disdain for everything Bengals?  Only the Bengals have a guy that blah, blah, blah, blah...criminals/thugs, blah, blah, blah, blah, Mike Brown cheap, blah, blah, blah, blah, no practice bubble, blah, blah, blah, blah, no playoff wins in 26 years, blah, blah, blah, blah, coach sucks, blah, blah, blah, blah....

Isn't that more fun?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:39 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I get it.  I hated the pick too.  I wanted OJ howard, Allen or Foster. 

Guys who can come in, Day 1, and play 

Hell if ross is 'project' and coming in as our 4th WR option, it goes against everything else our fans think, that we can compete this year.

Cause, teams in their prime, or in contention,  they bring in players to help now.  Cause NFL windows slam shut. 

You wouldnt take a flier on a top 10 'project' that you dont intend to use, if you think you can win now.  ESPECIALLY when a number of their recent #1s have failed to do squat on the field. 

This is hilarious.  Allen and Foster both had significant injury concerns coming out of college as well, and OJ Howard was an extremely raw TE, because Bama's system on offense was not an NFL-style offense.  Ross can help the rushing attack by forcing safeties off the LOS.  Ross can help special teams (you actually got to see that).  Ross can help the defense by helping sustain drives.  You will probably see this on a third and 6 in week 1 where the DB on Ross is playing off and he runs a simple out route and picks up the first down with ease.

Yeah, you and your "help now" mantra are going to like Ross pretty soon.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:02 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was not in love with the selection on draft day.

Wanted a O-lineman or pass rusher.

Yet am not going to judge the man on his first preseason game after becoming healthy.

Too early for judgement on kids play.

Ahhh, a reasonable, intelligent disagreement.  Thanks, Cards!  I don't think there was an offensive lineman at the top of Round 1 worthy of being selected there, but I did want one in Rd 2.  We certainly got pass rushers in Willis and Lawson, plus Smith in FA.

The Bengals took a long time to get over the "Peter Warrick was solid but not a game changer at #4 overall because he wasn't a big WR" mantra for a long time.  Just like their fascination with bigger, longer DEs.  They finally went with guys with speed and some bend and WOW, the entire front four looks unbelievable (when they are in the game). 

I think we will see the exact same impact from Ross on the offense.  I haven't lost a shred of my enthusiasm for him.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:02 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Brown was drafted in the 6th round. 

No comparison.   He is a fluke.   And was not intended to even be a steelers top 1 or 2 WR when drafted.  

6th round only because he wasn't from a major college program.  If he was Pac 12, would have been a much higher pick.
Reply/Quote
A few more receivers of the size (or maybe smaller) of Ross were the Dolphins duo of Clayton & Duper.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:54 AM)seab00 Wrote: A few more receivers of the size (or maybe smaller) of Ross were the Dolphins duo of Clayton & Duper.

Yeah but they played in an an era where safeties and LB could (legal) and tried to behead them................... Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ahhh, a reasonable, intelligent disagreement.  Thanks, Cards!  I don't think there was an offensive lineman at the top of Round 1 worthy of being selected there, but I did want one in Rd 2.  We certainly got pass rushers in Willis and Lawson, plus Smith in FA.

The Bengals took a long time to get over the "Peter Warrick was solid but not a game changer at #4 overall because he wasn't a big WR" mantra for a long time.  Just like their fascination with bigger, longer DEs.  They finally went with guys with speed and some bend and WOW, the entire front four looks unbelievable (when they are in the game). 

I think we will see the exact same impact from Ross on the offense.  I haven't lost a shred of my enthusiasm for him.
And we shouldn't lose any enthusiasm either. Yes it was only 1 play but that sweep Sunday showed his speed. He turned on the jets going around the end to get outside of the Skin's #1 defense. Only to get tackled out of bounds, which should have been penalty.... just saying lol.
 Also Howard is not a blocker, everybody falls in love with Bama players.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:54 AM)seab00 Wrote: A few more receivers of the size (or maybe smaller) of Ross were the Dolphins duo of Clayton & Duper.

Mark Clayton = Go Cards ! 

Hopefully Devante will breakout for Dolphins this season. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If you don't think the Bengals had a need at WR, you obviously haven't watched the Bengals last year.

No one stepped up when Green got hurt.

Since Green got hurt, in 7 games (counting the Bills game because he got hurt on the 1st series) there were only three TD catches by our wide receivers. Three.

In 7 games, only 3 times did a wide receiver catch a TD pass.
If you want to take out the Bills game, only 2 times in 6 games.

And guess what Ross is good at? Getting touchdowns. Something the Bengals badly needed.

They had only 35 total touchdowns. That had them tied for 24th in the league.

In 2015, the Bengals ranked 5th with 50 touchdowns.

In 2014, the Bengals tied for 14th with 45 touchdowns.

In 2013, the Bengals ranked 2nd with 54 touchdowns.

In 2012, the Bengals ranked 14th with 43 touchdowns.

In 2011, the Bengals tied for 21st with 35 touchdowns.

So the only other time they had less than 43 touchdowns in a season they drafted Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu. They realized 35 touchdowns doesn't fully cut it. Just like last year. Ross gives us something we've NEVER had.

And if you think Ross is just speed, you obviously didn't watch him outside of his highlight reels.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is hilarious.  Allen and Foster both had significant injury concerns coming out of college as well, and OJ Howard was an extremely raw TE, because Bama's system on offense was not an NFL-style offense.  Ross can help the rushing attack by forcing safeties off the LOS.  Ross can help special teams (you actually got to see that).  Ross can help the defense by helping sustain drives.  You will probably see this on a third and 6 in week 1 where the DB on Ross is playing off and he runs a simple out route and picks up the first down with ease.

Yeah, you and your "help now" mantra are going to like Ross pretty soon.  

It is isn't it.

BTW, i don't think he will like Ross when he is burning the Steelers like AB has burnt us in the past. Ninja

(08-29-2017, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ahhh, a reasonable, intelligent disagreement.  Thanks, Cards!  I don't think there was an offensive lineman at the top of Round 1 worthy of being selected there, but I did want one in Rd 2.  We certainly got pass rushers in Willis and Lawson, plus Smith in FA.

Love Go Cards, one of my favorite posters. Thing is you are right there was no O-lineman at 9 that would of helped us
this year. They would of all been projects and it shows with how all the rookie OL have been playing this Preseason.

We got our pass rushers in the 3rd and 4th and they are the real deal.

We wouldn't of gotten Ross or Mixon if we went Cards way. I love how the team drafted this year and i am with you
all the way on the enthusiasm of Ross. This guy will really help this team out whether you notice or not.

When you notice, boy will you notice. Shocked

(08-29-2017, 08:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If you don't think the Bengals had a need at WR, you obviously haven't watched the Bengals last year.

No one stepped up when Green got hurt.

Since Green got hurt, in 7 games (counting the Bills game because he got hurt on the 1st series) there were only three TD catches by our wide receivers. Three.

In 7 games, only 3 times did a wide receiver catch a TD pass.
If you want to take out the Bills game, only 2 times in 6 games.

And guess what Ross is good at? Getting touchdowns. Something the Bengals badly needed.

They had only 35 total touchdowns. That had them tied for 24th in the league.

In 2015, the Bengals ranked 5th with 50 touchdowns.

In 2014, the Bengals tied for 14th with 45 touchdowns.

In 2013, the Bengals ranked 2nd with 54 touchdowns.

In 2012, the Bengals ranked 14th with 43 touchdowns.

In 2011, the Bengals tied for 21st with 35 touchdowns.

So the only other time they had less than 43 touchdowns in a season they drafted Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu. They realized 35 touchdowns doesn't fully cut it. Just like last year. Ross gives us something we've NEVER had.

And if you think Ross is just speed, you obviously didn't watch him outside of his highlight reels.

Wolf, i didn't understand why you brought this thread back from the 2nd page...

I have seen it for days and didn't say a thing as the OP is an uncomfirmed troll but all the signs are there.

Still, your points are spot on and your stats are true and people will see soon enough that we made the right pick with
John Ross barring injuries. His shoulder injury is the only one that has concerned me but damn he has looked great in
and out of his cuts and running routes. Red Zone badass in college and like you said just scores TD's.

If people don't like scoring TD's, we should of drafted Derek Barnett or Cam Robinson at 9.

Both will be busts IMO
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 12:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Mark Clayton = Go Cards ! 

Hopefully Devante will breakout for Dolphins this season. 

Always loved Devante Parker. Very surprised he has not done more so far.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:36 AM)McC Wrote: Exactly.  I'm sure they will have a whole package of plays for him and they certainly were not about to show anyone anything in the preseason.

Hell, that little jet sweep picked up nine yards in the blink of an eye.

I'm expecting screens and reverses. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a reserve several times a game. Just his presence brings so much to the table. He doesn't need to be AJ Green. He doesn't need to be Marvin Jones. He doesn't need to be your typical #2.

Think back to our previous #15.

We had Ocho and Housh but when Henry was out there, the offense was radically different. Ross is someone that will make the offense different and when he's not on the field thinks will seem sub par.

He's not Aj. He's not a #2. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with that.
[Image: tumblr_ohmzy7WynD1s05wxzo1_400.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 07:01 AM)CinciOmega Wrote: I'm expecting screens and reverses. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a reserve several times a game. Just his presence brings so much to the table. He doesn't need to be AJ Green. He doesn't need to be Marvin Jones. He doesn't need to be your typical #2.

Think back to our previous #15.

We had Ocho and Housh but when Henry was out there, the offense was radically different. Ross is someone that will make the offense different and when he's not on the field thinks will seem sub par.

He's not Aj. He's not a #2. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with that.

I concur Wink
Reply/Quote
Trolling, trolling, trolling

Oh how I love my trolling - TROLL HIDE

Move em on head em up

Head em up move em on troll hide

Don't try and understand em, just hit ignore he has no fandom

Troll hide..........
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If you don't think the Bengals had a need at WR, you obviously haven't watched the Bengals last year.

This is all you really had to respond with. To say the Bengals didn't need some WR help is laughable. Now to dispute between which position group you should of addressed first is different, but to say we didn't need (a speedy) WR is way off. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote