Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
John Ross is a ........
(11-12-2018, 12:50 PM)corpjet Wrote: slot receiver and nothing more......why do we keep trying to throw him deep balls?

Yes he's fast but he doesn't have the size or fire to go up for jump balls

use him in the slot, get him in space and utilize his speed......why is this so hard?

Ross displayed his deep threat abilities multiple times against New Orleans, but the ball was underthrown by Dalton on those occasions. Dalton either doesn't have the arm to consistently hit him on those deep routes and/or doesn't have the chemistry to time the throws.

But what I think you are getting at is you don't consider him an outside receiver because he can't climb the ladder to get jump balls. Not every outside WR is a jump ball guy. Don't criticize a sub-6' guy for being unable to do what a 6'3"+ WR is meant to do.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ross displayed his deep threat abilities multiple times against New Orleans, but the ball was underthrown by Dalton on those occasions. Dalton either doesn't have the arm to consistently hit him on those deep routes and/or doesn't have the chemistry to time the throws.

But what I think you are getting at is you don't consider him an outside receiver because he can't climb the ladder to get jump balls. Not every outside WR is a jump ball guy. Don't criticize a sub-6' guy for being unable to do what a 6'3"+ WR is meant to do.

Dalton is no Marino, but I think you're on to something with the timing.  That said, he hit him deep at ATL, and by the numbers, excels at the deep post.  Maybe he needs to be running more of those.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
An American football player, who attended the University of Washington. He set the 40 record at the combine, and currently plays for the Cincinnati Bengals in the NFL. He has become a favorite whipping boy in the absence of Domata Peko, and Rey Mauuluga.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Injury issues aside, I just don't get the impression that his heart is in it.

This is my assessment as well.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is my assessment as well.  

It does appear that way.........

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:59 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Dalton is no Marino, but I think you're on to something with the timing.  That said, he hit him deep at ATL, and by the numbers, excels at the deep post.  Maybe he needs to be running more of those.

Dalton is a good post thrower. I feel he’s struggled at times throughout his career connecting on deep go routes, even with AJ. If someone has statistical data to refute that, please educate me because my recollection says otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would like to point something out. After the Bengal's first scoring drive, when the Saint's started their second drive. The announcers mentioned that the Saint's had already substituted on offense 40 times to Cincy's 7.
Obviously, t.o.p. & # of plays in the drive matter. The Saint's first drive had a ton of plays.

All of that said, it's pretty eye opening. The team that put up 51 has a much more complex offensive scheme.
It's the difference between Crayon and Sharpie!

Also to be noted, Ross scored his TD on a crossing route by out running Apple horizontally.
Reply/Quote
John Ross is...a player that could easily be covered by Artrell Hawkins
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Ross is just terrible at actually playing the WR position. He quits on or gives up on routes, seems to have no understanding of how to play the ball in the air and his hands are just not that good. While at least this game he did not directly cause a turnover he certainly helped one happen by not playing the deep ball in the air.
Reply/Quote
...the wrong pick, concidering Eifert injuries, spotty play from Kroft and Uzomah, and OJ HOWARD IS STILL ON THE BOARD.
Reply/Quote
.....is who I thought he was.
Reply/Quote
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:29 PM)HuDey Wrote: .....is who I thought he was.

Hilarious
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I hated the Ross pick more so because of Dalton that Ross. I know everyone will throw out stats about how Dalton is an elite deep passer that may be true with Green going up saving his arse. But Ross just dosent fight for the ball. He could have at least got a PI call in the end zone if he tried . Him and Dalton is just a bad mix. The kid would be great with Pitt. He just dosent fit well with Dalton, and the coaches don't know how else to use him. Marvin and Lazor need to watch KC play a few more times then they might have a clue. Might.
Reply/Quote
I have thought about he might be just suited for slot/gadget player because of his size,like hawkins. Dalton couldnt ever find hawkins on the field,probably the same with ross. But if ross goes over the middle hes going to end up in a hospital. He dont have the size and frame. His leg muscles have been even giving up on him because of his speed.

Also there are two different kind of receivers ones that will go up and climb the ladder and ones that let the ball come to him. He wants the ball to hit him in his hands,hes not fighting for it and doesnt have the size. This isnt a good combo for dalton. Green does a little of both,going up and letting it drop to him. Ive seen green let it get swatted away that way in a playoff game.

Like someone else said dalton doesnt have the arm to throw guys open. He needs you to get seperation and have a big catch radius.

Edit- i do not know why they dont use other guys for kick returns or punt returns at all ,last game would of been a good time to try it? Ross and phillips was great at returning in college. Erickson is ok but i really just dont like him on this team. Because they use him too much..and hes clogging the way of other guys.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: Ross is just terrible at actually playing the WR position. He quits on or gives up on routes, seems to have no understanding of how to play the ball in the air and his hands are just not that good. While at least this game he did not directly cause a turnover he certainly helped one happen by not playing the deep ball in the air.

Which play? Are you talking about the one where the safety came in front of Ross and the CB to intercept the underthrown ball? If so, Ross had the safety and CB beat with room in the end zone if Dalton had been able to hit him in stride. Ross could not have magically known the ball was going to be underthrown, stopped on a dime, come back to the ball, and out-leap the defenders to high-point the ball. He's not that kind of WR. Would you expect Tyreek Hill to do that? Do you have instances where Hill has done that? I don't recall any.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:47 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I have thought about he might be just suited for slot/gadget player because of his size,like hawkins. Dalton couldnt ever find hawkins on the field,probably the same with ross. But if ross goes over the middle hes going to end up in a hospital. He dont have the size and frame. His leg muscles have been even giving up on him because of his speed.

Also there are two different kind of receivers ones that will go up and climb the ladder and ones that let the ball come to him. He wants the ball to hit him in his hands,hes not fighting for it and doesnt have the size. This isnt a good combo for dalton. Green does a little of both,going up and letting it drop to him. Ive seen green let it get swatted away that way in a playoff game.

Like someone else said dalton doesnt have the arm to throw guys open. He needs you to get seperation and have a big catch radius.

Edit- i do not know why they dont use other guys for kick returns or punt returns at all ,last game would of been a good time to try it? Ross and phillips was great at returning in college. Erickson is ok but i really just dont like him on this team. Because they use him too much..and hes clogging the way of other guys.

I would like to see Phillips and even Ross back there more since we're not getting anything out of him anyway but, I don't think we use Erickson enough on offense. He was non existent on offense in the Saints game. All the kid does is make plays. Not sure why he's hated so much. He's one tough SOB.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Which play? Are you talking about the one where the safety came in front of Ross and the CB to intercept the underthrown ball? If so, Ross had the safety and CB beat with room in the end zone if Dalton had been able to hit him in stride. Ross could not have magically known the ball was going to be underthrown, stopped on a dime, come back to the ball, and out-leap the defenders to high-point the ball. He's not that kind of WR. Would you expect Tyreek Hill to do that? Do you have instances where Hill has done that? I don't recall any.

Nonsense! Psychotic Dalton hater!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 05:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nonsense! Psychotic Dalton hater!

Lol. I know you're not serious, but people need to admit that both Dalton and Ross have limitations. Neither is the complete package. And with Dalton's lack of ability to hit WRs in stride along the sideline and Ross's obvious size limitations to be unable to play like a big-bodied receiver who can win jump balls, the team needs to gameplan better ways for Dalton and Ross to connect. That's going to be on posts, crosses, slants, and screens. Not go routes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No he’s not. 3 TD’s in 6 games this season (and should be 5 or 6). People are just mad because of where we drafted him. Which isn’t his fault.

I dont care how many TDs he has. He isnt getting consistently open and he doesnt have the yards or catches per game to justify a good season. Just stop with all the TD talk. There's more to it than that. 

He showed lack of effort on the pick that Andy had (it wasnt Ross' fault, just lack of effort trying to go up and get it/stop the pick from happening) and he slowed and gave up on the bomb that Andy under threw him on in the end zone. Watch the replay, you can see him act like he wasn't going to get the ball until he actually sped up on the under thrown ball. I rewatched that play 10 times and you cant convince me he didnt give up on it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote