Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
John Ross is an absolute bust
It’s fitting to because he is also made of glass apparently. Please just cut this bum already
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:04 AM)Trademark Wrote: It’s fitting to because he is also made of glass apparently. Please just cut this bum already

Trade him for Billy Hamilton. Billy will never learn to hit and the Bengals don't need leadoff hitters that hit in the pitchers spot.. It's a win/win for both teams!  John Ross can do the same thing Hamilton does for the Reds I bet..standing around being terrible .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes. But he’s essentially a rookie.
Reply/Quote
He simply cannot stay healthy to get necessary reps but I wouldn't call that a bust. He does, however, remind me of Jerome Simpson who was a late bloomer...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:55 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: He simply cannot stay healthy to get necessary reps but I wouldn't call that a bust.  He does, however, remind me of Jerome Simpson who was a late bloomer...

Ross is no bust, The Bengals,  used Ross wrong! by running reverses with him early, leading to injuries, now hes scared to death. Ross is a deep threat, stretch the field type only. But Marvin is trying to make him a everything WR, absolutely dumb how our HC thinks. Ross > Simpson. They even tried him as punt returner wow super dumb, you have to know your players and use them according to there strengths, That's coaching 101.
Reply/Quote
People said the exact same thing about Tyler Boyd before this season.  Yeah, I wish that he'd go out there and look like Deshean Jackson V-II every play, but he is raw as raw can be.  The guy didn't even play much in college.  He's still in the driver's seat as far as how good of a player he is going to be in the league.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if I'd call him a bust in terms of talent... but the guy can't even catch a TD pass without hurting himself crossing the goal line.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Lol
It’s his first healthy year Jesus Christ. Was he supposed to come out and be Antonio Brown from day 1 to please you?

My god this board is unbearable
Reply/Quote
Ross' highest realistic ceiling seems to be "takes pressure off other receivers by running straight down the field". And that has its benefits, for sure. But if he continues to quit on the rare occasions it's actually thrown his way, then teams will become increasingly more willing to just not even bother with him.

It'd be nice if he has a breakout season next year and becomes our third high impact receiver on the team but, you know...at this point I just doubt that'll ever happen.

It always sucks when a top 10 pick does nothing for you. You could say that for first round picks in general, but a top 10 pick, theoretically, should be a once or twice a decade kind of thing for a successful team and flubbing it so badly (when there are so many high impact players available at those spots) really leaves a sour taste in your mouth, doesn't it?
Reply/Quote
I was skeptical when the team drafted the guy, as he was injured coming out of college. I've tried to get excited for him, whenever he's flashed a bit of that ability he was drafted to bring to the team. Now, I'm just growing tired of waiting for him to produce, to demonstrate good effort, and tired of waiting for him to not be injured.

I wouldn't label him a complete bust, just yet. However, it does appear that the Ross train to bustville has left the station..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:41 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes.  But he’s essentially a rookie.

Plus he's going to miss enough time to also be sorta a rookie next year.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Plus he's going to miss enough time to also be sorta a rookie next year.  

If this continues long enough, he'll be like an 11 year old in Kindergarten.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If this continues long enough, he'll be like an 11 year old in Kindergarten.

Marvin is the burned out teacher and Mike Brown is the legacy appointed and tenured fossilized school board.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 09:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin is the burned out teacher and Mike Brown is the legacy appointed and tenured fossilized school board.

lol
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 06:46 AM)Housh Wrote: Lol
It’s his first healthy year Jesus Christ. Was he supposed to come out and be Antonio Brown from day 1 to please you?

Not for me personally, but I know a lot of Bengals fans felt that a WR being drafted in Top 10 should be coming in as a 1000-yard WR as a rookie. I'm still hesitant to call him a "bust" though because a guy needs to actually be on the field for a full couple seasons and have very little to no production before he gets that label from me.

I think ultimately, people see production from later picks on other teams (e.g. Smith-Schuster) and think the Bengals could (should?) have gone after one of those guys instead, possibly even a round or two later and ended up better off.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not for me personally, but I know a lot of Bengals fans felt that a WR being drafted in Top 10 should be coming in as a 1000-yard WR as a rookie. I'm still hesitant to call him a "bust" though because a guy needs to actually be on the field for a full couple seasons and have very little to no production before he gets that label from me.

I think ultimately, people see production from later picks on other teams (e.g. Smith-Schuster) and think the Bengals could (should?) have gone after one of those guys instead, possibly even a round or two later and ended up better off.

Yep.....I was hoping for around 400 yards or so....that's not much to ask.  This guy hasn't even come close to that in TWO seasons.

The board is unbearable?  LOL.....nah, but shit man, for a #9 overall pick, you'd hope to have gotten more than a handful of games, a critical fumble, several drops, and quitting on routes.  C'mon Housh.....you trash the QB and a few others at any opportunity you get, but this guy gets a pass?  PPPFFFFFTTTTT.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Overreact much. Good grief.

If this were the case many a good player would no longer being around. Guys like Carlos Dunlap and Tyler Boyd were talked about on these boards in the same fashion.

Take a deep breath, turn around, and step away from the ledge.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 10:07 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Overreact much. Good grief.

If this were the case many a good player would no longer being around. Guys like Carlos Dunlap and Tyler Boyd were talked about on these boards in the same fashion.

Take a deep breath, turn around, and step away from the ledge.

Fake news. Carlos Dunlap had a great rookie year with 9.5 sacks. No one ever thought he was a bust as he was a stud from the get go.
Reply/Quote

I actually expected Ross to be a more fragile version of Darius Heyward Bey.
Reply/Quote

This guy wasn't a 4th rounder, he was a top 10 pick and yes he was expected to perform and perform well. On A. Brown's level ? no

But in 23 possible games he's played in eight with 7 receptions for 79 yards and 2 TD's. That's like a 6th rounders production.

His production is unbearable
Reply/Quote