Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross on leave
(08-12-2020, 02:38 PM)jason Wrote: This... Is why the NFL should've followed the NBA or NHL models.

It does not work for the NFL and the simple reason is time. NHL  and the NBA were heading into when this all struck. The NFL would essentially be starting a season, and you'd have to assume camp, in the bubble then carry it into playoffs. You would be asking people not to just quarantine for a couple of months, you'd be talking nearly 6 months across major holidays in a hotel. If you thought getting a deal done to open camp was hard, I just don't see a way the NFL would have gotten that negotiation done.

The other thing to remember is neither of those organizations brought every team into the bubble but rather settled on 24 teams. The NFL would have 8 more teams with more 30 players more than the NHL and 55 more than NBA. Now you need hubs that can accommodate much larger player numbers, coaching staff numbers, and larger official crews AND field operations crews that by their nature have to be close to players and would need to be quarantined as well. With being away for 6 months you are probably going to then have to cave on families being allowed in as well at some point, and not just playoffs like the NBA. If we used the NBA model of 4 guests per player you are now talking 10k people in just players and families, that isn't including coaches, officials, and game day staff and their families. 

It would have been safe to assume that even if the NFL created four hub cities, each of those cities would have to accommodate a number of people similar to a singular bubble like what the NBA is doing. That would mean the NFL would have to test 4x as many people as the NBA constantly in four different geographic areas and that is assuming you could find four labs capable of even doing that many tests around the country in proximity to lodging and fields that could accommodate this.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 01:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is disappointing as he was not exposed, but chose to go take the time off which is his right.

However he is likely going to be behind/get exposed to the virus/possibly get the virus/ etc. His season looks to be a wrap.

To the OP and Ross hope his family gets better and it doesn't affect him much.

To you JJ22, I don't think Ross's season is a wrap cause of this, will slow his progress with the new Offense but he will still
play and should do well since he has the most chemistry with Burrow so far.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 04:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To the OP and Ross hope his family gets better and it doesn't affect him much.

To you JJ22, I don't think Ross's season is a wrap cause of this, will slow his progress with the new Offense but he will still
play and should do well since he has the most chemistry with Burrow so far.

Thank you for being like many of us and seeing that not all is doom and gloom ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Thank you for being like many of us and seeing that not all is doom and gloom ThumbsUp

You are very welcome Truck, no reason to be doom and gloom. Helps nothing. Cool
Reply/Quote
Are they sick, or did they just test positive? If they are part of the asymptomatic crowd, I'm not sure it was a good decision for him to go expose himself then bring it back to the team later. Now, if they are actually sick that's a different story.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are they sick, or did they just test positive? If they are part of the asymptomatic crowd, I'm not sure it was a good decision for him to go expose himself then bring it back to the team later. Now, if they are actually sick that's a different story.

Great question and completely agree.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Thank you for being like many of us and seeing that not all is doom and gloom ThumbsUp

You think Ross was going to make an impact the full year with a perfect offseason? 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: You think Ross was going to make an impact the full year with a perfect offseason? 

When Ross is on the field whether he's the target or not 
Safeties have to play a bit deeper based on his speed alone. 
Sorry but when Alex Erickson is on the field nobody is worried about Erikson getting behind them 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: When Ross is on the field whether he's the target or not 
Safeties have to play a bit deeper based on his speed alone. 
Sorry but when Alex Erickson is on the field nobody is worried about Erikson getting behind them 

I'm not disputing any of that. I just think Ross needs all the time and practice to contribute this year, and don't think this helps and likely will be a setback. Not trying to be doom and gloom, but we do have his career history to point to. 

Reply/Quote
Ross is playing for his professional life in a contract year. I give him major props for making the right choice. Prayers and best wishes for #11 and his family.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 06:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not disputing any of that. I just think Ross needs all the time and practice to contribute this year, and don't think this helps and likely will be a setback. Not trying to be doom and gloom, but we do have his career history to point to. 

I don't think it will be a big issue because the play book has been beat into these guys this offseason through virtual meetings plus Ross and Burrow have spent time together working on their routes and communication aka Chemistry....

The biggest problem I can see is he will miss the padded practices that get players warmed up for the season.

Hope He and his family get through this without a problem
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are they sick, or did they just test positive? If they are part of the asymptomatic crowd, I'm not sure it was a good decision for him to go expose himself then bring it back to the team later. Now, if they are actually sick that's a different story.

From what I gathered from the article, he will have to go thru the testing again before he practices.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 12:47 PM)pally Wrote: Tom Pelissero has reported that John’s son and the boy’s mother have both tested positive for COVID. He has left for LA to be with his son. Likely he will go on the COVID list.  He will have to test negative before he can return

I fully agree that if your child gets it you need to be there to do what you can to help. That's the right move. That said, I CAN'T agree with the tweet of "one would imagine it might be tough to find adequate care for a child that's tested positive for COVID".

John Ross has made $14.3m in the NFL so far. He can find adequate care for anyone he so chooses. It's a bit absurd to pretend otherwise.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 01:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is disappointing as he was not exposed, but chose to go take the time off which is his right.

However he is likely going to be behind/get exposed to the virus/possibly get the virus/ etc. His season looks to be a wrap.

How do you know he was not exposed? The Bengals nor Ross have released any medical info on John Ross?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 07:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How do you know he was not exposed? The Bengals nor Ross have released any medical info on John Ross?

Pretty sure testing players was done. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I support any decision any of these guys choose to make regarding this season. I hope the best for him and his family.

Question though: Can he still opt out of the season? I know the deadline passed last week. I would assume there'd be some clause in there to allow for situations like this, but I'm not sure.

If he does have the ability to opt out, I really do believe that might make the most sense. Both from a safety perspective and professionally as well.

If he opts out, as I understand, his contract rolls over until next season. I know Ross' contract for his final year is almost completely guaranteed. So for the same reason he wasn't a "cap casualty" this season, I would think the same reasons would apply to next year.

It's already a very crowded WR room. You're in the midst of an offseason that had OTA's, minicamps, and the preseason completely scratched. Training camp, which he'll now miss anyway, is also much more limited.

If John Ross returns to the team later he'll enter a stacked position group well behind the eight ball. He's already fighting for time against a high 2nd round pick (Higgins), with a promising 3rd year player (Tate) right behind them. It was already going to be tough for him to get the touches he needs to help set his market for FA. Now that just got all the more difficult.

What's might be best for him just to shut it down completely. Take care of his family, and know that he's still got the same guaranteed dollars ahead of him for 2021. By that time there's a more than decent chance that AJ is gone, and he can let the rest of the room shake itself out. And most importantly, he can use a full offseason to his benefit, to help firmly establish a role.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply/Quote
This could be one of those unique outs the league and union was supposed to be negotiating. Where a player could get the 310K and skip the season under a circumstance I imagine like this. Even tho the deadline passed.

Have his contract roll over to 2021.

Not to be an alarmist, but this is the move I think you have to consider a possibility of happening.

And it might be a smart one for him dependent on how bad off his family is.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 07:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: This could be one of those unique outs the league and union was supposed to be negotiating. Where a player could get the 310K and skip the season under a circumstance I imagine like this. Even tho the deadline passed.

Have his contract roll over to 2021.

Not to be an alarmist, but this is the move I think you have to consider a possibility of happening.

And it might be a smart one for him dependent on how bad off his family is.

That means next year will be his rookie year. 

As to the Opt Out, not sure this wouldn't be considered a voluntary opt out. With those I'm not sure your contract is put on hold and you get a $150K loan which you must pay back
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 07:15 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I support any decision any of these guys choose to make regarding this season. I hope the best for him and his family.

Question though:  Can he still opt out of the season?  I know the deadline passed last week.  I would assume there'd be some clause in there to allow for situations like this, but I'm not sure.

If he does have the ability to opt out, I really do believe that might make the most sense.  Both from a safety perspective and professionally as well.

A player can opt-out later if:

• A new diagnosis reveals that the player has a high-risk condition
  • A player's family member dies, is hospitalized or is otherwise moved to a medical facility because of a COVID-19 or related condition.

Source:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-sets-two-exceptions-for-how-players-can-opt-out-of-the-2020-season-after-deadline/

I certainly hope he and his family do well and do not have to be hospitalized or worse.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 07:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: A player can opt-out later if:

• A new diagnosis reveals that the player has a high-risk condition
  • A player's family member dies, is hospitalized or is otherwise moved to a medical facility because of a COVID-19 or related condition.

Source:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-sets-two-exceptions-for-how-players-can-opt-out-of-the-2020-season-after-deadline/

A new high risk condition is likely out so that leaves worse case scenario as the reason.

So we have to hope this isn't an option for him.

I do hate to see this from a developmental standpoint. I was looking forward to Ross's (late) coming of age year. So it's disappointing.

I think we are deep at receiver. Without Ross. So no doom and gloom from a team standpoint. 

Reply/Quote