Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross on leave
Please stay on topic in regards to this thread. 

Save your political beliefs for PNR.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He's doing what he should do as a husband and a father. Prayers to him and his family.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That’s a though break but you can’t blame Ross. You have to put family first. I pray for a quick recovery for his family.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 01:30 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: He's doing what he should do as a husband and a father. Prayers to him and his family.

Completely agree with you. 

I would have been really upset to learn his wife and child had Covid and he stayed with the team.

This was the right decision as a human. Toss any job out the the window when it comes to family health.

Good for John and I hope for a speedy recovery for his family.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 02:38 PM)3wt Wrote: This and this.   Just really unfortunate.   If it was just his kid I'd say monitor from a distance unless things get too scary.   But for both his kid and his wife have it, he really needs to be there.

But I do not see how he does not get it if both of them have it.

Bummer

Ross can protect himself from getting it, but the chances of avoidance are not good.  My biggest concern (other than for his family, which I am fairly certain will be fine) is that this will be an exception and Ross will opt out of the season.  I know there are a lot of folks on here that don't care for him, nor do they see what he does for this offense, but I am really hoping it works out and he is back here quickly and is on the team this year.  
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 02:55 PM)J24 Wrote: Maybe but wouldn't just be like an extended training camp.
It's the Falcons, Cowboys, and Saints that are doing it.

Are the player's families in the bubble for those teams as well?  I can't imagine they are....
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: When Ross is on the field whether he's the target or not 
Safeties have to play a bit deeper based on his speed alone. 
Sorry but when Alex Erickson is on the field nobody is worried about Erikson getting behind them 

Cue the "he only runs one route" or maybe "he will be wide open but drop the ball" crowd.  When Ross was on the field with AJ Green, all of 6 games, the Bengals were 5-1.  Boyd took off when Ross drew coverage outside.  It can also have a similar effect on the rushing attack as you described about the safeties playing off the line a bit deeper.  

I just hope and pray this doesn't encourage him to opt out under the exception rule.  Tee Higgins will be a great Bengal, but no one offers what Ross does outside.  Can he stay healthy?  Will he improve his routes, hands, etc?  Legitimate questions.  But I see a guy that if he puts it together this year will help this team go from afterthought to playoff team (so long as Green is out there too).

Just my two cents.  
Reply/Quote
It is what it is.. everyone does it different, Zimmer lost his wife and I think he showed up to play every weekend..
Ross is hardly on the field, so I'm not surprised he decided not to stick around. Fortunately kids recover well, wish them all well.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 11:36 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It is what it is..  everyone does it different, Zimmer lost his wife and I think he showed up to play every weekend..
Ross is hardly on the field, so I'm not surprised he decided not to stick around.  Fortunately kids recover well, wish them all well.

I don't think this example or comparison is fair to introduce to the Ross situation.  Two completely diffrerent circumstances.

Unfortunately for Zimmer, the damage had been done.  That's not to say there would have been no reason to take a leave of absence.  It's just to point out that there was little for him attend to, outside of any arrangements and the grieving process itself.  Not to mention, it is rather common for people to turn to work to help them cope with loss.  And with as much time coaches spend on the job, I'm sure it can be a family like atmosphere.

I won't pretend to know exactly why Mike Zimmer returned to so quickly, but I think I can at least speculate.  I don't think it was an unselfish act, or that he put work ahead of himself or his family.  I'd venture a guess he did because he really wanted to, and it helped him get a sense of normalcy.

John Ross on the hand, does have immediate concerns that need to be attended to.  He's has a young son and a wife who have now been hit with a virus that we still don't know enough about.  Even if you were to believe they have no chance of serious complications (not true) there are still logistics to be dealt with.

There's upcoming doctor appointments and tests. There's navigating how exactly to procure grocieries, medications, and other essentials, all while in quarantine. There's probably still questions of contact with other friends and family, who are awating their own results. There's also just dealing with the sickness itself, even if it's not severe.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 12:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't think this example or comparison is fair to introduce to the Ross situation.  Two completely diffrerent circumstances.

Unfortunately for Zimmer, the damage had been done.  That's not to say there would have been no reason to take a leave of absence.  It's just to point out that there was little for him attend to, outside of any arrangements and the grieving process itself.  Not to mention, it is rather common for people to turn to work to help them cope with loss.  And with as much time coaches spend on the job, I'm sure it can be a family like atmosphere.

I won't pretend to know exactly why Mike Zimmer returned to so quickly, but I think I can at least speculate.  I don't think it was an unselfish act, or that he put work ahead of himself or his family.  I'd venture a guess he did because he really wanted to, and it helped him get a sense of normalcy.

John Ross on the hand, does have immediate concerns that need to be attended to.  He's has a young son and a wife who have now been hit with a virus that we still don't know enough about.  Even if you were to believe they have no chance of serious complications (not true) there are still logistics to be dealt with.

There's upcoming doctor appointments and tests.  There's navigating how exactly to procure grocieries, medications, and other essentials, all while in quarantine.  There's probably still questions of contact with other friends and family, who are awating their own results.  There's also just dealing with the sickness itself, even if it's not severe.

Excellent synopsis! Best post in this thread. Hoping this all has a happy ending and he has a great year.

And,I hated the Ross pick at #9!! Ts, my feelings or opinion on that are completely irrelevant to this matter.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 12:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: John Ross on the hand, does have immediate concerns that need to be attended to.  He's has a young son and a wife who have now been hit with a virus that we still don't know enough about. 

You misspelled Baby Momma.....
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 11:36 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It is what it is.. everyone does it different, Zimmer lost his wife and I think he showed up to play every weekend..
Ross is hardly on the field, so I'm not surprised he decided not to stick around. Fortunately kids recover well, wish them all well.

That is incredibly short-sighted and rude of a post; until the virus hits someone you know/in your family and you see the effects first-hand, you don't know jack-**** about the severity of it.

To insinuate that the guy isn't committed after his family gets sick with someone that cannot be predicted at this time, shows a fair amount of douchebaggery on your end.

And Zimmer's wife passed two or three before all of the prep and work had been done for the game; suddenly too, so there was nothing that could've been done leading up to it. Funeral stuff was handled immediately after the game was done.

And he did take a week off as well, so shows how little you know.

Toast was respectful in his post, so I don't necessarily have to be.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 12:47 PM)pally Wrote: Tom Pelissero has reported that John’s son and the boy’s mother have both tested positive for COVID. He has left for LA to be with his son. Likely he will go on the COVID list.  He will have to test negative before he can return

John Ross not being available for a game?

I had Higgins winning the 3rd WR job outright by the 5th game. Possibly I was off by 5 games, we'll see.

Reply/Quote
Can't hate on him for this. The best to family. Get well soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 04:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To the OP and Ross hope his family gets better and it doesn't affect him much.

To you JJ22, I don't think Ross's season is a wrap cause of this, will slow his progress with the new Offense but he will still
play and should do well since he has the most chemistry with Burrow so far.

Am I missing something? What new offense?
Ross has already been in the system for a year. He's not learning a new offense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 05:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: John Ross not being available for a game?

I had Higgins winning the 3rd WR job outright by the 5th game. Possibly I was off by 5 games, we'll see.

So far Higgins is missing time with hammys like Ross....
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 01:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is disappointing as he was not exposed, but chose to go take the time off which is his right.

However he is likely going to be behind/get exposed to the virus/possibly get the virus/ etc. His season looks to be a wrap.

He doesn’t give AF
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 10:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Cue the "he only runs one route" or maybe "he will be wide open but drop the ball" crowd.  When Ross was on the field with AJ Green, all of 6 games, the Bengals were 5-1.  Boyd took off when Ross drew coverage outside.  It can also have a similar effect on the rushing attack as you described about the safeties playing off the line a bit deeper.  

I just hope and pray this doesn't encourage him to opt out under the exception rule.  Tee Higgins will be a great Bengal, but no one offers what Ross does outside.  Can he stay healthy?  Will he improve his routes, hands, etc?  Legitimate questions.  But I see a guy that if he puts it together this year will help this team go from afterthought to playoff team (so long as Green is out there too).

Just my two cents.  

I will never get why some root for a player's demise
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 12:00 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So far Higgins is missing time with hammys like Ross....

He's expected back today, unlike Ross, who will miss his 3rd training camp in 4 years.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 11:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will never get why some root for a player's demise

No one I've seen has been rooting for Ross' demise.

Stating the plain facts about his inability to stay on the field and his lack of production has nothing to with hoping bad for the guy.

I hope he does well for the Bengals, always have. But the guy just disappoints each year. Looks like this year will be another under performing year.

Reply/Quote