Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross on leave
As a father and human being, this is the right call for Ross to make, and I wish his son a healthy, speedy recovery.

From a pure football perspective... let's just say this guy has the same sort of snake-bit luck that Eifert had. Can't get involved in training camp, can't stay on the field, inconsistent performance as a result. You can't hold this situation against him as a person, but this doesn't exactly help his case for a second contract here. Missing three training camps in four years is not insignificant.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 11:45 AM)Big Boss Wrote: As a father and human being, this is the right call for Ross to make, and I wish his son a healthy, speedy recovery.  

From a pure football perspective... let's just say this guy has the same sort of snake-bit luck that Eifert had.  Can't get involved in training camp, can't stay on the field, inconsistent performance as a result.  You can't hold this situation against him as a person, but this doesn't exactly help his case for a second contract here.  Missing three training camps in four years is not insignificant.

Except Eifert really wanted to play. I'm not sure this guy does...
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Except Eifert really wanted to play. I'm not sure this guy does...

Based on what?

Don't forget that John Ross specifically hid an injury his rookie year in hopes that he didn't have to go to IR. To me, that doesn't show that Ross doesn't want to play. In fact, it shows the opposite.

I think you are projecting because Eifert had 1 good season whereas Ross has not.

I dunno about you, but if my family was potentially in jeopardy and I had an opportunity to take a few weeks away from my job to help them in any way, I would 100% do that. Family > career.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 01:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Based on what?

Don't forget that John Ross specifically hid an injury his rookie year in hopes that he didn't have to go to IR. To me, that doesn't show that Ross doesn't want to play. In fact, it shows the opposite.

I think you are projecting because Eifert had 1 good season whereas Ross has not.

I dunno about you, but if my family was potentially in jeopardy and I had an opportunity to take a few weeks away from my job to help them in any way, I would 100% do that. Family > career.

I'm not hacking on him for that decision, far be it for anyone to criticize a personal decision like that. If his kid's sick, then by all means he should go. I just don't get the impression from him, from his history, from watching him on the sidelines, etc., that he is itching to play. I might be wrong, it's just the impression I get from him that if he can find a way not to be on the field and still make his money, he will take it.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 11:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Am I missing something? What new offense?
Ross has already been in the system for a year. He's not learning a new offense.

Well, I am meaning more of the new plays implemented for Burrow. True it will not be a completely new Offense.

But we did add some plays for Burrow is all I am saying.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 01:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not hacking on him for that decision, far be it for anyone to criticize a personal decision like that. If his kid's sick, then by all means he should go. I just don't get the impression from him, from his history, from watching him on the sidelines, etc., that he is itching to play. I might be wrong, it's just the impression I get from him that if he can find a way not to be on the field and still make his money, he will take it.

So what gave/gives you the impression Ross tries to find a way to be off the field but Eifert tried to find a way to be on the field?

My personal impression is both have always wanted to be on the field, yet both have had unfortunate luck with an abundance of injuries.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 02:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So what gave/gives you the impression Ross tries to find a way to be off the field but Eifert tried to find a way to be on the field?

My personal impression is both have always wanted to be on the field, yet both have had unfortunate luck with an abundance of injuries.

I just pointed that out in my post.....
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 02:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I just pointed that out in my post.....

But you didn't really.

You said, "... from his history, from watching him on the sidelines, etc."

That is extremely vague. What specifically has he done or said with his history, watching him on the sidelines, etc?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 01:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Don't forget that John Ross specifically hid an injury his rookie year in hopes that he didn't have to go to IR. To me, that doesn't show that Ross doesn't want to play. In fact, it shows the opposite.

Rep.

Lots of fans make it personal when they don't like a player.  The fact that he hid an injury to try and play proves that his problem is NOT that he doesn't care
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Lots of fans make it personal when they don't like a player.  The fact that he hid an injury to try and play proves that his problem is NOT that he doesn't care

I don't have anything against Ross, in just about every thread I've pointed out that I want him to succeed and be what he was advertised to be. The fact that he hasn't has nothing to do with like or dislike.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But you didn't really.

You said, "... from his history, from watching him on the sidelines, etc."

That is extremely vague. What specifically has he done or said with his history, watching him on the sidelines, etc?

Well Geeze ocho, you ever get a feeling about someone just from watching them? 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 11:20 AM)BengalChris Wrote: He's expected back today, unlike Ross, who will miss his 3rd training camp in 4 years.

We’ll see, Higgins still needs to prove himself. I’ve seen plenty of receivers hampered all year by a hammy. Hope he’s back, but I’ve seen “he’ll be back in a few days” turn into a few weeks.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 02:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well Geeze ocho, you ever get a feeling about someone just from watching them? 

Sometimes, but it's because of something they say or do.
All I'm asking of you is provide some specifics about what gave you that impression.

For instance, some may think that Chad didn't care enough about the game because he was always goofing around. But that is his personality. Some people just didn't/don't like it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 03:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sometimes, but it's because of something they say or do.
All I'm asking of you is provide some specifics about what gave you that impression.

For instance, some may think that Chad didn't care enough about the game because he was always goofing around. But that is his personality. Some people just didn't/don't like it.

Well I can't give you a specific, it's just an overall feeling I get from watching him. When I see AJ on the sideline, he usually has a frown on his face and you can tell he's itching to be in there. I don't get that feeling watching Ross. It's just a feeling, I'm not saying it's positively the case. He seems content to me on the sideline.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 03:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well I can't give you a specific, it's just an overall feeling I get from watching him. When I see AJ on the sideline, he usually has a frown on his face and you can tell he's itching to be in there. I don't get that feeling watching Ross. It's just a feeling, I'm not saying it's positively the case. He seems content to me on the sideline.

Interesting. I see you mention AJ Green's mannerisms for why you think he is always eager to be out there but still nothing about what Ross has done to give impression he doesn't.

Is it fair to assume you've seen some type of facial expressions and/or body language that led you to this impression?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 03:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We’ll see, Higgins still needs to prove himself. I’ve seen plenty of receivers hampered all year by a hammy. Hope he’s back, but I’ve seen “he’ll be back in a few days” turn into a few weeks.

We'll see. I'm hoping Higgins has what it takes.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 03:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sometimes, but it's because of something they say or do.

Not to derail or get off subject, but I recently watched a YouTube video of the majority of, if not all of his TD receptions. 
Man he was great to watch! Such amazing footwork. Many, many times he was absolutely wide open after completely burning the DB. That cat WAS always open! Video was fun to watch. He better get in the HOF. He deserves that.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 05:33 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not to derail or get off subject, but I recently watched a YouTube video of the majority of, if not all of his TD receptions. 
Man he was great to watch! Such amazing footwork. Many, many times he was absolutely idea open after completely burning the DB. That cat WAS always open! Video was fun to watch. He better get in the HOF. He deserves that.

I doubt that ever happens, as much as I would love it to.
Chad is 36th on the all-time rec yards list with plenty of WRs ahead of him who are not in yet.

Someone who had a very similar career to Chad was Roddy White, who played same number of years (11) and only had 196 fewer yards and 4 fewer TDs. When adding playoff numbers (379-3 for Roddy, 108-0 for Chad), White is only 1 TD behind Chad and actually has 65 more yards than Chad.

Would you consider Roddy White to be HOF-worthy? Most people probably wouldn't even though he had a very good career.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like Ross, but it's not working out. I don't see him making the team....
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 06:33 PM)Tony Wrote: I like Ross, but it's not working out. I don't see him making the team....

...What? He had 4th most receiving yards and 2nd most receiving TDs last year in only 8 games played.
He deserves to make the team over guys like Willis, Morgan, and the UDFAs for sure.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote