Poll: Should Jonah be extended in the off-season
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams
(11-01-2022, 10:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What I mean is Jonah Williams right now is going to be better than a rookie will.

I don't really care if someone gets added that eventually has a better career than Williams.
I want someone who is going to be better for the next 1-2 years, which is really the Bengals' window to actually contend.

True, but our LT's failure to launch is costing the team's franchise QB the ability to do what he does best.

Right now (in the next offseason), I think that they really must consider letting go of both Williams and Mixon.  They can likely get close to equal production from a cheaper back or even draft pick next year, and invest in a quality veteran LT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but our LT's failure to launch is costing the team's franchise QB the ability to do what he does best.

Right now (in the next offseason), I think that they really must consider letting go of both Williams and Mixon.  They can likely get close to equal production from a cheaper back or even draft pick next year, and invest in a quality veteran LT.

This would be my plan, use Mixon and Bates money to pay him.

Only problem is could we keep him after signing Burrow and Chase ? 

Yet if they do not wake up quickly we may be drafting high enough to get a good one, although I sure hope that is not the case. 

Prefer getting RB in draft with fresh legs on the cheap. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:08 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This would be my plan, use Mixon and Bates money to pay him.

Only problem is could we keep him after signing Burrow and Chase ? 

Yet if they do not wake up quickly we may be drafting high enough to get a good one, although I sure hope that is not the case. 

Prefer getting RB in draft with fresh legs on the cheap. 

That is why they also need to draft another LT candidate for development.  Chances are that they will be drafting middle of the pack, and miss out on the first two or three "blue chip" Tackle prospects, so they can go with one of the second tier LTs and plan on keep the veteran for 2-3 years if need be.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Thanks. So, basically 2 atrocious games, 2 very poor games, 2 average games, and 2 good games. Not what we are looking for in the left tackle position.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:15 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Prince wasnt a pick, he was a FA but yes you are spot on. This team has no clue as to how you evaluate O lineman. 

Price he was our first RD pick in 2018!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Jonah looked bad last night, no doubt.

However, are you expecting the Bengals to get a really good LT in the draft unless they are picking a stud in the Top 10?

If there is a stud LT in the draft, he probably is going to go Top 5, and the Bengals won't get him unless they trade up, which they won't do.

So more than likely, the Bengals will get about the same level player than Jonah, and probably worse to start off as a rookie.

And before anyone says it, no the Bengals are not going to go get some stud LT in FA.

So the solution is  to put out Jonah and hope he magically improves in big games? At some point this organization has to man up and realize he is the Andy Dalton of LTs!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but our LT's failure to launch is costing the team's franchise QB the ability to do what he does best.

Well Williams' 5th year option was already picked up and is fully guaranteed, so he's probably not going anywhere unless a team is willing to compensate the Bengals for that financial hit.
Mike Brown won't give someone a fully guaranteed year and then move on from them.

As for Mixon, he clearly is underperforming, and he's nowhere near the $11.4 mill he's making.
He'll be a Bengal the rest of this year probably, but the Bengals can free up $7.35 mill in cap next year if they move on this offseason.
Personally, I would do that and look to add a RB in next year's draft and/or cheap FA to replace him.
Put that saved $$ toward better OL and/or defense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He has given up the most sacks in the league at the LT position.
No way he should return next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well Williams' 5th year option was already picked up and is fully guaranteed, so he's probably not going anywhere unless a team is willing to compensate the Bengals for that financial hit.
Mike Brown won't give someone a fully guaranteed year and then move on from them.

As for Mixon, he clearly is underperforming, and he's nowhere near the $11.4 mill he's making.
He'll be a Bengal the rest of this year probably, but the Bengals can free up $7.35 mill in cap next year if they move on this offseason.
Personally, I would do that and look to add a RB in next year's draft and/or cheap FA to replace him.
Put that saved $$ toward better OL and/or defense.

What Bengals on offense aren't underperforming?

Chase has underperformed all but 2 games. His overall stats look good.

Boyd was underutilized. Higgins is having a down year.

Mixon is atrocious.

Hurst shows potentially at times, but is under used.

Jonah and Collins have been down most of the year.

The interior line has been ok. Not good. But, ok.

When you have a while offense struggling...that's on the coaches.
Reply/Quote
Defenses will always look to exploit the weak link.

I think in the past Jonah has been our best olineman and teams used other schemes to get to the QB such as inside rush and strongside, ect..

Now our interior and strongside have improved and defenses are just rushing at Jonah.

If folks remember the off season, I wasnot a fan of moving Jonah UNTIL we had a real chance of signing Terron Armstead. TA had given up 0 sacks so far this year. His contract would look good on the Bengal's payroll right now.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:00 PM)J24 Wrote: So the solution is  to put out Jonah and hope he magically improves in big games? At some point this organization has to man up and realize he is the Andy Dalton of LTs!

No, the solution really would be to go spend the money on a premier LT, but they won't.

They will likely be drafting too late to get a premier LT there.
And even if that LT does fall, will they be above-average blocking right from the get-go?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Defenses will always look to exploit the weak link.

I think in the past Jonah has been our best olineman and teams used other schemes to get to the QB such as inside rush and strongside, ect..

Now our interior and strongside have improved and defenses are just rushing at Jonah.

If folks remember the off season, I wasnot a fan of moving Jonah UNTIL we had a real chance of signing Terron Armstead. TA had given up 0 sacks so far this year. His contract would look good on the Bengal's payroll right now.

Reply/Quote
They accepted the 2023 5th year but should draft replace LT next year or following. He is not good enough, has not been since drafted for our franchise QB.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No, the solution really would be to go spend the money on a premier LT, but they won't.

They will likely be drafting too late to get a premier LT there.
And even if that LT does fall, will they be above-average blocking right from the get-go?

Eh Jonah was a pretty finished pro prospect. The Bengals take shots at guys high and they regress here.

If it were 1 or 2 guys it's one thing. It has to be coaching. Has to. Absolutely has to.

Maybe strength training too. Something is wrong.

We saw the videos of them using Bosu balls at practice being batter at. Maybe that stuff doesn't work?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What Bengals on offense aren't underperforming?

Chase has underperformed all but 2 games. His overall stats look good.

Boyd was underutilized. Higgins is having a down year.

Mixon is atrocious.

Hurst shows potentially at times, but is under used.

Jonah and Collins have been down most of the year.

The interior line has been ok. Not good. But, ok.

When you have a while offense struggling...that's on the coaches.

Higgins is playing about the same as last year.
He's on pace for 1071 yards, which is just 20 yards fewer than last year (1091).

Boyd is on pace to have over 1000 yards this year, which he hasn't done since Andy Dalton was the QB.

Karras and Cappa are playing solidly well.

Volson is performing about what I'd expect for a rookie.

The letdowns on offense have been Mixon, Williams, and Collins primarily.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eh Jonah was a pretty finished pro prospect. The Bengals take shots at guys high and they regress here.

If it were 1 or 2 guys it's one thing. It has to be coaching. Has to. Absolutely has to.

Maybe strength training too. Something is wrong.

We saw the videos of them using Bosu balls at practice being batter at. Maybe that stuff doesn't work?

I 100% think there's a problem with coaching/scheme.

But I also don't think Jonah will ever be a Top 5 LT, but that's easier to say you want to find than actually find.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Higgins is playing about the same as last year.
He's on pace for 1071 yards, which is just 20 yards fewer than last year (1091).

Boyd is on pace to have over 1000 yards this year, which he hasn't done since Andy Dalton was the QB.

Karras and Cappa are playing solidly well.

Volson is performing about what I'd expect for a rookie.

The letdowns on offense have been Mixon, Williams, and Collins primarily.

I think the total yardage looks good, but Boyd has had arguably 1 great game and a bunch of below average. Same with Higgins.

Karras and Cappa have played well as has Volson. They haven't been here long enough to be ruined.
Reply/Quote
Right now, mocks for next year have us penciled in at the 16th pick. Broderick Jones, T, Georgia, might be a good option here. Jonah just isn't going to get more athletic at this point.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:25 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Right now, mocks for next year have us penciled in at the 16th pick.  Broderick Jones, T, Georgia, might be a good option here.  Jonah just isn't going to get more athletic at this point.

We need CB help too.
Reply/Quote