Poll: Should Jonah be extended in the off-season
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams

Jonah and Mixon literally sank that game by themselves.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Jonah has already given up 8 sacks on the season. There’s 9 games left…

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 01:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Nate you still wont give up on Carman lol

I know, I know lol

Just throwing the thought out there, I knew I would get criticized for it big time but I don't care, Jonah was bad last night.

Real bad. Never saw Carman look that bad at LT at Clemson. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Never saw Carman look that bad at LT at Clemson. 

and I never saw John Ross look bad at Washington.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know, I know lol

Just throwing the thought out there, I knew I would get criticized for it big time but I don't care, Jonah was bad last night.

Real bad. Never saw Carman look that bad at LT at Clemson. 

Nate I am a huge Clemson fan and I was a supporter of Carman coming to the team but only as a guard not as a tackle. He struggled with speed rushers at Clemson but he had the advantage of a great gameplan from a good coach helping to mask some of his issues and that was paired with Trevor being able to move in the pocket and help avoid some pressure. 

When you add in the back injury that seems to be lingering a little, Carman at LT could sadly be worse then Williams. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Carmen can't make the active freaking roster as a back up player on the line!!!!! Please stop. He was a bust. It's a wasted pick. Move on already. There is 0 chance he can play LT at the NFL level of he can't even be good enough to be active on GameDay. Look at the guys who were active over him. Just stop it please. It's embarrassing
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 05:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nate I am a huge Clemson fan and I was a supporter of Carman coming to the team but only as a guard not as a tackle. He struggled with speed rushers at Clemson but he had the advantage of a great gameplan from a good coach helping to mask some of his issues and that was paired with Trevor being able to move in the pocket and help avoid some pressure. 

When you add in the back injury that seems to be lingering a little, Carman at LT could sadly be worse then Williams. 

Could be right Murdock and you probably are, I would rather trade for a proven vet anyway.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 07:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could be right Murdock and you probably are, I would rather trade for a proven vet anyway.

At this point I think that is the best option. Have to go out and spend or trade for a guy that is going to hold it down without question. 

And if that means you have to spend, so be it. Still have Burrow on the cheap a little longer.

Plus, if you get a guy that is an anchor at LT you have a chance to draft a guy who can develop slowly behind him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: At this point I think that is the best option. Have to go out and spend or trade for a guy that is going to hold it down without question. 

And if that means you have to spend, so be it. Still have Burrow on the cheap a little longer.

Plus, if you get a guy that is an anchor at LT you have a chance to draft a guy who can develop slowly behind him.

We don't develop lineman. They stay on the roster and stay the same...or regress. There is no develop here.
Reply/Quote
I won’t vote on this now as I don’t know what the rest of the season looks like. I don’t like what I’ve seen against elite competition but he could be injured and could still improve.

I feel the same about collins. He could get healthy and start mauling people later in the year. I don’t know yet. I won’t count them out but I would have liked to see a better first half of the season for sure. Both players have looked awful at times.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:09 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Unfortunately the meme from the past is looking more and more like reality every game.

This team just fails to identify and develop OL talent on a consistent basis. It's even more frustrating when you see other teams starting 6th rounders and having success. That's a coaching issue and a scouting issue but at the same time you have to get a couple foundation pieces to build on.

Wasn't he touted as the readiest to play in the NFL in his Oline class? To me, he doesn't seem to be athletically able to play LT. 
Reply/Quote
FWIW, Laps was on Sirius today and said JW dislocated his knee during the NO game and has been playing injured.

Of course he said at this time of year everyone is banged up, but it has affected JW's play.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Defenses will always look to exploit the weak link.

I think in the past Jonah has been our best olineman and teams used other schemes to get to the QB such as inside rush and strongside, ect..

Now our interior and strongside have improved and defenses are just rushing at Jonah.

If folks remember the off season, I wasnot a fan of moving Jonah UNTIL we had a real chance of signing Terron Armstead. TA had given up 0 sacks so far this year. His contract would look good on the Bengal's payroll right now.

Wanted Armstead badly as well but was not thinking about replacing Jonah at the time, just moving him over to RT. 

Your plan sounds better now though the way he has performed. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: At this point I think that is the best option. Have to go out and spend or trade for a guy that is going to hold it down without question. 

Sounds like the way to go. Rock On

(11-01-2022, 09:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We don't develop lineman. They stay on the roster and stay the same...or regress. There is no develop here.

Volson just gets better and better, guess this isn't development from a rookie... Ninja

(11-01-2022, 10:37 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Wasn't he touted as the readiest to play in the NFL in his Oline class? To me, he doesn't seem to be athletically able to play LT. 

Best technically sound OL in his class, yes. He is hurt clearly, and he isn't the most athletic LT when healthy.

(11-02-2022, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, Laps was on Sirius today and said JW dislocated his knee during the NO game and has been playing injured.

Of course he said at this time of year everyone is banged up, but it has affected JW's play.

Yep.

(11-02-2022, 10:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wanted Armstead badly as well but was not thinking about replacing Jonah at the time, just moving him over to RT. 

Your plan sounds better now though the way he has performed. 

Was against it at the time cause I didn't want to overpay for Armstead cause we wouldn't of been able to get one 
of the guys in here that we did. Still don't know if we would of been able to, probably wouldn't of been able to bring
in La'el for sure but it isn't like he has been great either. Could of had Armstead at LT and moved Jonah to RT I guess.
Reply/Quote
Never thought I’d say this after last year but wish they’d try Adeniji at left tackle this week. If Jonah is playing hurt, give him an extra week off around the bye week to get healthier. As everybody has pointed out, he’s not playing at a high level now so why not give Adeniji a chance on the edge (and maybe even with some occasional help from his RB to chip on a DE)
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 02:08 PM)bk42 Wrote: Never thought I’d say this after last year but wish they’d try Adeniji at left tackle this week.  If Jonah is playing hurt, give him an extra week off around the bye week to get healthier. As everybody has pointed out, he’s not playing at a high level now so why not give Adeniji a chance on the edge (and maybe even with some occasional help from his RB to chip on a DE)

Never thought I would agree with what you say here but I do. Mellow
Reply/Quote
It's not Williams or the O Line. It is NOT Mixon. It is NOT Burrow. The Bengals look awful because of the One Dimensional Play Calling by Zac Taylor. Every single play is Shotgun Formation and just about every play is a Pass. So of course the Defense is going to be coming and sack Burrow a lot. Of course there will be little time to throw down field. The Zac Taylor Offense is impossible for any O Line or Quarterback to Win in. Zac ran more in 2021 due to Burrow knee brace, but in 2022 Zac is just going Shotgun Pass almost every single play, and Defenses are teeing off on Zac's One Dimensional Offense that he might have learned in Arena League, but it won't work in NFL.

So you Fans can want all new Blockers again, and again, but THE PROBLEM is Zac has almost every play in the game a Shotgun Pass. You Fans may Love It, but it is why Defenses pour in, and why Bengals are 4-4 and 0-3 in AFC North in 2022. The Play Calling STINKS. It is too Arena League and Smash Mouth NFL Teams are clobbering Zacs WEAK play calling of 99 % Shotgun Pass all game.

Even I could call Defenses against Bengals. Bengals line up in an empty backfield shotgun a lot. So just blitz more defenders than blockers and throw Burrow on his butt. It's not rocket science. However if Zac called about 50 % running plays or even 40 % runs, The RUN would set up The PASS. The O line would look better, Mixon would look better, Burrow would look better, The Bengals would look better. However this will NOT happen, because Zac thinks he is in The Arena League or the USFL and he is determined to Shotgun Pass almost every single play, often with no RB in the Open Backfield. Defenses lick their chops becausec since it can not be a run, they blanket the WR's and throw Burrow on his butt .....IT IS THE PLAY CALLING of running the same formation and pass play all game long. Anybody on here could put out a Defensive Package to stop Zac's One Dimensional Offense. It is also a Total Waste of Mixon if Zac refuses to call any running plays.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like the way to go. Rock On

Volson just gets better and better, guess this isn't development from a rookie... Ninja

Best technically sound OL in his class, yes. He is hurt clearly, and he isn't the most athletic LT when healthy.

Yep.

Was against it at the time cause I didn't want to overpay for Armstead cause we wouldn't of been able to get one 
of the guys in here that we did. Still don't know if we would of been able to, probably wouldn't of been able to bring
in La'el for sure but it isn't like he has been great either. Could of had Armstead at LT and moved Jonah to RT I guess.

Was wanting to release Bates or trade Mixon to offset his cost.

But as thin as we are in DB's that might not have been the best move either.

Yet Armstead would have been a nice piece

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I thought Jonah played well in Pittsburg.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 10:58 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I thought Jonah played well in Pittsburg.

Both Jonah and LC had good games.
Reply/Quote