No - Make this a prove it year?
21.05%
12 21.05%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jonah Williams - On Notice
There are mixed feelings about Jonah Williams as the future at LT on this board, and from the sounds of it, there are mixed feelings in the FO. We've seen D'ante Smith training, and we watched him shut down Myles Garret in his start at LT week 18.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/23/bengals-picking-up-jonah-williams-fifth-year-option-decision/

As of right now where does the board stand with picking up his 5th year option?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think that they will go ahead and use the 5th year option on Williams. In today's salary market, an experienced starting LT, even an average to slightly above at $12.9M is a bargain.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals don't have to choose until after this season.   If he for some odd reason totally sucks this year then yeah probably best not to exercise it.  I highly doubt  that will be the case.  He's just now going into his 3rd season 4th season but was on reserve/physically unable to perform list his first season and was arguably the best O-line player on the team last year.  His PFF grade last year for what ever that is worth was 77.1.  With more support around him with the recent free agency O-line signings and considering he had his first full season last year I feel he will continue to improve.

Edited for mistakes.  My bad.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Why would they not pick it up?
Reply/Quote
You try to keep solid-or-better starters as much as you can.
While Williams may not be an elite guy (yet), it could be much worse.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why would they not pick it up?

might be better to just Extend him if they dont think hes worth 12+ mil on the "5th year option"
Reply/Quote
I thought he was going into his 4th season....

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why would they not pick it up?

I wouldn't even think it was a discussion but apparently it is.... Maybe they saw something out of Smith. 

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: might be better to just Extend him if they dont think hes worth 12+ mil on the "5th year option"

We're not going to be able to extend him for less than $12 MIL/YR. Unless Jonah suffers a career ending injury this upcoming season, you gladly pick up the option
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought he was going into his 4th season....

Yeah my mistake he is, my apologies I can be an idiot at times, or even most times.  I was looking at his game logs and forgot he was on the reserve/physically unable to perform list in 2019.  They have until May 2nd to pick up his 5th year option.  So yes I think they should given the struggles the Bengals have had finding a LT over the years since Whit left.  I doubt someone better will fall to the Bengals in the draft and as I said above I think he will continue to improve with a better supporting cast around him.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought he was going into his 4th season....

He is, but you have to make the decision on the option before the 4th season starts...I thought?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He is, but you have to make the decision on the option before the 4th season starts...I thought?

Deadline is May 2nd for 1st round picks drafted in 2019:

https://www.nfl.com/news/weighing-fifth-year-options-for-2019-nfl-draft-s-first-round-picks-to-exercise-o

Quote:Players chosen in the 2019 NFL Draft just finished their third regular season, and that means one thing for the first-round picks from that class: It's decision time on the fifth-year option.

The window opened Monday for NFL teams to pick up the option, with the final deadline set for May 2.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams is a very good LT

I do not get the gripes with him
Reply/Quote
The goal is to improve the OL. Not allow the best one from your super bowl run walk when he is young as hell and can be had for a reasonable salary.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 05:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Deadline is May 2nd for 1st round picks drafted in 2019:

https://www.nfl.com/news/weighing-fifth-year-options-for-2019-nfl-draft-s-first-round-picks-to-exercise-o

Thanks.
100% think Williams is worth the option.
If the option is between $12-13 mill like I saw someone mention, that's only the 14th-highest paid LT in the league based on APY.
I think that's a fair range for Williams.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
To me it's not that hard a decision as others have said. No he's not an elite level top 5 in the NFL LT. But he is pretty good and improving, I hope. Extend him.
Reply/Quote
No brainer to pick up 5th year option

He is only going to get stronger and better
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Williams is a solid LT,I’ll give you that.I guess solid means about average.I would definitely make it a prove it year.Left Tackles don’t come cheap.But,who knows,a lot can happen in the next year.For all we know Smith might have a break out year.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 07:49 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Williams is a solid LT,I’ll give you that.I guess solid means about average.I would definitely make it  a prove it year.Left Tackles don’t come cheap.But,who knows,a lot can happen in the next year.For all we know Smith might have a break out year.

Well the thing is and something I was mistaken about is that the Bengals only have until May 2nd to agree to his 5th year option.  So it is kind of tricky to say make it a prove it year.   If they don't commit to the 5th year option then he is a free agent next year.  If he plays good or great that leaves the Bengals with options to either franchise tag him and paying him a guaranteed salary based on the average of the top 5 salaries at his position (which would be very expensive, the tag value for O-line was $16.6 million this year and will most likely be more next year) or trying to work out a longer term deal.  See the recent issues with Jesse Bates and the tag for how that can be complicated.  

But given last season he was fairly solid and I expect barring injury he will continue to improve it makes sense to me to pick up the 5th year option instead of saying to him this is a "prove it year."  I think given the struggles the Bengals have had finding even an average LT over the years he is worth that 5th year option locked in at 12.6 million.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You try to keep solid-or-better starters as much as you can.
While Williams may not be an elite guy (yet), it could be much worse.

I believe his pff was lower than Harts last yr., he has been a disappointing 11 pick in draft, time to draft a replacement not offer 5th year, make him prove it or cut him after this year.
Reply/Quote