Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah Williams from Booger McFarland
In case you haven't seen it, Booger McFarland just tweeted this out:

Booger
@ESPNBooger
·
28m
Imagine if u had a tackle and u could put Jonah at guard ? U can build an offensive line with good players. Plenty of tackles have played guard. Put the best 5 on the field. Bottom line the oline isn’t great and the kid is getting killed
Quote Tweet
Ben Baby
@Ben_Baby
· 34m
Bengals RT Riley Reiff currently tied for third in the league in Pass Block Win Rate as a tackle LT Jonah Williams is 17th. (ESPN/NFL Next Gen)
Reply/Quote
There is no guarantee Williams can play guard.
Reply/Quote
"Imagine if we had a tackle"..... I see what he did there.

Jonah spoke today (or maybe yesterday) and said his play hasn't been good enough. Prince looked good at LT, but maybe they feel it's too soon to give up on Williams at LT. Next year tho, all options should be on the table if this keeps up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: "Imagine if we had a tackle"..... I see what he did there.

We have two, and tackle is not our problem. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: "Imagine if we had a tackle"..... I see what he did there.

Jonah spoke today (or maybe yesterday) and said his play hasn't been good enough. Prince looked good at LT, but maybe they feel it's too soon to give up on Williams at LT. Next year tho, all options should be on the table if this keeps up.

I mean, tackle hasn't been the problem with our Oline this year. At least not comparatively to the IOL. Rieff had a bad play missing a man on Sunday and I'm sure Williams mucked up a play here or there but outside of that the tackles have mostly been fine. 

It's a pretty bad take when, so far this season, they're rated pretty high. Especially if you compare them to the rest of the line. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:23 PM)TJ528 Wrote: In case you haven't seen it, Booger McFarland just tweeted this out:

Booger
@ESPNBooger
·
28m
Imagine if u had a tackle and u could put Jonah at guard ? U can build an offensive line with good players. Plenty of tackles have played guard. Put the best 5 on the field. Bottom line the oline isn’t great and the kid is getting killed
Quote Tweet
Ben Baby
@Ben_Baby
· 34m
Bengals RT Riley Reiff currently tied for third in the league in Pass Block Win Rate as a tackle LT Jonah Williams is 17th. (ESPN/NFL Next Gen)

Booger doesn't seem to understand that our line has been good and all the sacks are on RBs, TEs and Burrow himself. If this really is the case, it doesn't matter who we put on the line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Does the OP say Jonah is 17th and Riley is 3rd in pass block win rate? Seems like we're doing pretty good at tackle. Now IMO Hopkins has went from the strongest link to the weakest link..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:50 PM)TheFan Wrote: I mean, tackle hasn't been the problem with our Oline this year. At least not comparatively to the IOL. Rieff had a bad play missing a man on Sunday and I'm sure Williams mucked up a play here or there but outside of that the tackles have mostly been fine. 

It's a pretty bad take when, so far this season, they're rated pretty high. Especially if you compare them to the rest of the line. 

He said "imagine if you had a tackle so you could push Jonah to guard".

That would improve the interior o-line, so I think Booger agrees with you.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does the OP say Jonah is 17th and Riley is 3rd in pass block win rate? Seems like we're doing pretty good at tackle. Now IMO Hopkins has went from the strongest link to the weakest link..

Jonah would also logically kick to LG and Spain has yet to give up a sack, hit, or pressure in pass pro.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He said "imagine if you had a tackle so you could push Jonah to guard".

via GIPHY

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hop and XSF have been the weak links haven't they ?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:50 PM)TheFan Wrote: It's a pretty bad take 

I disagree if the notion is one of them could have upgraded the guard position. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He said "imagine if you had a tackle so you could push Jonah to guard".

Yea but he also said the kid is getting killed which I take as him saying Jonah might be better inside because he's horrible at LT. He's going a little too far with that. He hasn't been playing like an all pro but hasn't been Cedric Ogbuhei either.

My mistake, I think he's actually talking about Burrow getting killed so he may in fact mean exactly what you're saying.
Reply/Quote
I going to think outside the box. Why don't we just get a guard that can play guard
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I going to think outside the box. Why don't we just get a guard that can play guard

But then no one could keep squealing about us passing on Sewell.  That is what this is still about.  Jonah has played well at LT with no proof that he would be good at OG.  So the only real logical fix would be to have a better Guard instead of getting another tackle and moving Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But then no one could keep squealing about us passing on Sewell.  That is what this is still about.  Jonah has played well at LT with no proof that he would be good at OG.  So the only real logical fix would be to have a better Guard instead of getting another tackle and moving Jonah.

But if we had a better guard, the TE's and RB's would still be missing blocks, right? They just want to squeal to be squealing..... there's only one way to make them see......

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...ge.333.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I going to think outside the box. Why don't we just get a guard that can play guard
Makes to much sense. They need to get all these missed assignments fixed, that'll go a long way. Stop going empty then bringing Mixon in motion back to backfield to block, he's not good at it. They telegraph what they're doing way to often. Yea teams can tell if you're running or throwing a good bit but when they go empty they almost always if not always know what you're doing. 

Put some damn max protect packages out there at times. Go 2 tight ends run and throw out of it. Want to get the ball out quick, throw traditional screens to the back or some wr and or tight end screens. Try to slow their pass rush and their penetration down. Use the 2 tight ends to attack the seams.

Sunday I didn't see any tight ends or even slot recievers challenge the seams over backers and under safeties of a cover 3 like you should. I can only recall one screen to Chase late in the 4th quarter as well, both things that should have absolutely been done that Zac didn't do. 

The missed assignments fixed, competent game plan, packages, playcalling and coaching could go a long way to help things. I don't know when the last time I saw a team say they wanted to get the ball out quick protect the line and their qb but did not throw any screens or use max protect or tight ends to slow the rush down, probably never have. Didn't even bother changing at halftime despite seeing the Bears in zone looking into the backfield and following Burrows eyes the whole game. To top it off everyone knew Bears weakness on defense was their secondary coming in and he didn't challenge them either. 

Hopefully Hopkins can get back right soon or at least similar to where he was before the injury or he's gonna have to be replaced. There's no way you can keep letting him get whooped physically like this again and again. That with the missed assignment and or communication bs fixed and Zac being even semi competent could go a long way. Better fix it soon though because it's only game 2 and already players are speaking up about the terrible playcalling.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But if we had a better guard, the TE's and RB's would still be missing blocks, right? They just want to squeal to be squealing..... there's only one way to make them see......

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...ge.333.jpg]

This is the thing. Zac's scheme is putting too much pass protection pressure on the TEs and RBs. There's no reason Sample should ever have to 1 on 1 Danielle Hunter. That was a scheme failure. And Ja'Marr Chase should not be called upon to make the critical backside block to convert a 3rd and short. 

These are scheme issues more than Oline issues. Calling better plays with different protection schemes fixes these problems better than moving our good LT in to guard.

Of course, we still need to upgrade our IOL, this is not excusing them. I just think there are systemic issues as well.
Reply/Quote
Seeing some interesting stats come from Goodberry which makes me feel a little better about our line. Burrow has been sacked on 41% of his pressures which is easily highest in the league. Highest rate was 27% last season, and he was at 21% last season.

So two schools of thought, is worried that he’s not moving to avoid the rush, but encouraged that if he can move at least a little bit, these sack totals should go down.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:52 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Seeing some interesting stats come from Goodberry which makes me feel a little better about our line. Burrow has been sacked on 41% of his pressures which is easily highest in the league. Highest rate was 27% last season, and he was at 21% last season.

So two schools of thought, is worried that he’s not moving to avoid the rush, but encouraged that if he can move at least a little bit, these sack totals should go down.

those numbers would go down if he got rid of the ball faster as well

even if that ment having to throw it away.

25 combined hits or sacks... On around 66 drop backs

Zach says he doesnt know what counts as a hit... And thinks some of them burrow doesnt even know hes been touched lol
Reply/Quote