Jonah Williams is playing like a premier LT
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Huge.
Reply/Quote
Should have drafted Sewell! Sarcasm
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I was never worried about his potential. In fact, I thought this pick was as much a slam dunk as Burrow was, maybe moreso. The injuries have been a speed bump, but the way he played at Bama, I had a feeling he was the real deal. It seems we're building a roster full of film junkies/smart players. I dig it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Of Zac's three draft classes, 2019 definitely seems to be the worst one, which isn't unreasonable since he didn't even have his staff together until early March. But Williams is turning out to be a star and I love it.
Reply/Quote
We just gotta hope we continue hitting on picks or free agents for the interior offensive line this offseason!
Reply/Quote
Maybe we should see what he does at Guard..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
So far in 2019 Williams and Pratt appear to be keepers and Sample while perhaps overdrafted is also proving to have value.

2020 is just amazing so far - Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, ADG, Adeniji

Then this year - Chase, Carman, McPherson, Sample just to start. And Ossai, Trey Hill, D'Ante Smith and Evans on deck not to mention Shelvin.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 11:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Of Zac's three draft classes, 2019 definitely seems to be the worst one, which isn't unreasonable since he didn't even have his staff together until early March. But Williams is turning out to be a star and I love it.

If you get your LT of the future for 10+ year plus 1-2 okay players you consider that a worthy draft. There's few positions more worthy then LT. 

Depending on how some players continue to progress we may have mostly turned around our team on the past 3-4 drafts. Obviously the FA have helped 

Bates, Hubbard, Price (who we traded for a good player on Hill) Tate, Williams, Sample, Pratt, Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, ADG, Kareem, Chase, Carman, Ossai (looks like could be a stud), Sample, McPherson, Evans (has shown flashed and seems like he will be RB #1-2 of the future)

That's 17 contributing players from the last 4 drafts with some being the best players/leaders of your team. I'm not sure what other teams are pulling in but that seems really good to me. 

That's how you rebuild a team. I'm not sold on ZT as a play caller or head coach yet but he has impressed me in picking talent. Obviously picking in the top 5 helps but even in later rounds he has picked up some good contributing players which is all you can ask for. 
Reply/Quote
Stay healthy
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

That is great. But only half the snaps. How is he grading out on run blocking? Overall grade? 
Reply/Quote
It's apparently 10th-highest, whatever it is. He's exactly what we need him to be.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 01:24 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That is great. But only half the snaps. How is he grading out on run blocking? Overall grade? 

I have no idea what the exact grade is (I don’t have PFF), but the tweet clearly says he’s top 10 in run blocking.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 01:24 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That is great. But only half the snaps. How is he grading out on run blocking? Overall grade? 

What they mean is, to qualify, you have to play at least 50% of the maximum number of snaps. The maximum number is the guy that has played the most snaps. 

Ex: If player A has played the most snaps at 150, in order to qualify on the list, you need to have played at least 75 snaps. Currently, David Quessenberry of the Titans has played a total of 319 snaps this year--the most of all tackles. Jonah has played 229 snaps this year. Well within the 50% minimum to qualify. 

Run blocking, he's graded 10th best at 74.5
Overall he's graded (T) for 17th best at 70.3

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
the only ability i remember questioning on him was availability
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 11:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: So far in 2019 Williams and Pratt appear to be keepers and Sample while perhaps overdrafted is also proving to have value.

2020 is just amazing so far - Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, ADG, Adeniji

Then this year - Chase, Carman, McPherson, Sample just to start. And Ossai, Trey Hill, D'Ante Smith and Evans on deck not to mention Shelvin.

Yea, 2020 looks incredible not just for the number of starters but the number of actual stars. We got the leader of our offense and the leader of our defense in the same draft. Higgins almost had 1000 yards in his rookie year and may be even better this year. Then ADG, Bailey, Kareem and Adeniji seem like good to high quality back ups. Not a single pick was wasted in that draft.

And 2021 may be just as good, with Chase, Carman, Sample, McPherson, Evans all making an impact early in the season, with Smith, Ossai and Hill looking good in the pre-season. Shelvin hasn't done much but with a body that big, he has a good chance to stick for a while.

(10-05-2021, 12:06 AM)TheFan Wrote: If you get your LT of the future for 10+ year plus 1-2 okay players you consider that a worthy draft. There's few positions more worthy then LT. 

Depending on how some players continue to progress we may have mostly turned around our team on the past 3-4 drafts. Obviously the FA have helped 

Bates, Hubbard, Price (who we traded for a good player on Hill) Tate, Williams, Sample, Pratt, Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, ADG, Kareem, Chase, Carman, Ossai (looks like could be a stud), Sample, McPherson, Evans (has shown flashed and seems like he will be RB #1-2 of the future)

That's 17 contributing players from the last 4 drafts with some being the best players/leaders of your team. I'm not sure what other teams are pulling in but that seems really good to me. 

That's how you rebuild a team. I'm not sold on ZT as a play caller or head coach yet but he has impressed me in picking talent. Obviously picking in the top 5 helps but even in later rounds he has picked up some good contributing players which is all you can ask for. 

Oh no doubt. I am not saying 2019 was a bad draft, just it was the worst of three really good drafts.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 02:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What they mean is, to qualify, you have to play at least 50% of the maximum number of snaps. The maximum number is the guy that has played the most snaps. 

Ex: If player A has played the most snaps at 150, in order to qualify on the list, you need to have played at least 75 snaps. Currently, David Quessenberry of the Titans has played a total of 319 snaps this year--the most of all tackles. Jonah has played 229 snaps this year. Well within the 50% minimum to qualify. 

Thanks. My bad, for some reason my brain skipped over that part. Apologies.  

This is VERY good news. 

Still, I am not sure about PFF's secret sauce. How can a guy be top 5 pass blocking, top 10 run blocking, and 17th overall? There must be other components besides run & pass blocking? 
Reply/Quote
Oh, FWIW, as a camp Sewell guy, I feel obligated to point out that he has hit some bumps after a really good first couple of games. To be expected, but there it is.

PFF has him at 56.8.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/10/4/22707414/detroit-lions-week-4-stock-report-chicago-bears

Apparently, Sewell gave up 7 pressures & 2 sacks vs the Bears.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 11:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Of Zac's three draft classes, 2019 definitely seems to be the worst one, which isn't unreasonable since he didn't even have his staff together until early March. But Williams is turning out to be a star and I love it.

Even the lower-drafted guys still on the team (Wren, Trayveon) still have potential and an opportunity to turn into something (not likely at this point, but you never know).

(10-05-2021, 02:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What they mean is, to qualify, you have to play at least 50% of the maximum number of snaps. The maximum number is the guy that has played the most snaps. 

Correct; it's to weed out who is a bonafide starter and a spot-guy/backup (because guys with 25% of the snaps can rank high, but they aren't a starter).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 11:54 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Thanks. My bad, for some reason my brain skipped over that part. Apologies.  

This is VERY good news. 

Still, I am not sure about PFF's secret sauce. How can a guy be top 5 pass blocking, top 10 run blocking, and 17th overall? There must be other components besides run & pass blocking? 

Screen Blocking and Penalty are also factored into the grade (and Jonah's been middling on screens), but they shouldn't be bad-enough to hurt his stock.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote