Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Norman just became a UFA
(04-21-2016, 04:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: And it'll only go higher

Yep. In this day and age of 5000 yard passing seasons, a true shut down corner is becoming almost as valuable as a QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I know the Bengals won't sign him so I'm just hoping he signs with the Giants.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I know the Bengals won't sign him so I'm just hoping he signs with the Giants.

He and Odell do need to work out their differences, I'd pay to watch that first practice lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I know the Bengals won't sign him so I'm just hoping he signs with the Giants.

I'm rooting for the Jaguars myself. 

I can't help but like that team and really would love to see them knock the Colts out of the playoffs for many years to come.
Reply/Quote
...and I'll say this, if Revis is making 17M, Norman is worth that. Right now, Norman is BETTER. Revis is being paid based on history, not current performance.

Of course, both Patrick Peterson and Chris Harris came out and said they don't think Norman is a top 5 CB. So there's that.
Reply/Quote
The only bad precedent here is that any player who gets franchised can essentially whine their way out of the agreement. To boot, it is only further condoned when a team like Jacksonville or San Francisco steps up and gives him a massive deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 05:31 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: ...and I'll say this, if Revis is making 17M, Norman is worth that.  Right now, Norman is BETTER.  Revis is being paid based on history, not current performance.

Of course, both Patrick Peterson and Chris Harris came out and said they don't think Norman is a top 5 CB.  So there's that.

Patrick Peterson is an LSU guy that probably personally knows OBJ so that would explain that. 

I assume he isn't the most liked guy in the NFL either because he does seem to do things like Burfict or Pacman on the field so that would probably sway some of these guys opinion of Norman.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Revis base salary is $17 million this year

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

Not saying Norman deserves this amount.  Just saying CBs are making huge money

Cool story, bro. AJ Green's base saalry is $3.8m this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/a.j.-green/

Kirk Cousins has the highest base salary in the NFL in 2016 at $19,953,000.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/kirk-cousins/

.....As interesting as that is, why are we talking about the completely irrelevant base salaries in a conversation about average value, again?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Norman was only good because of the scheme.. Not interested in this dude at all.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hope he goes to the Redskins. Would love to see him and OBJ go at it twice a year. Heard them and the 49ers were very interested.

Jaguars might be in it too. They need secondary help and not sure if Ramsey makes it it them. If he does, you make that pick.

With that said, he had a good year, but that's about it. Would rather give some of that $16 million he's looking for to Zeitler, Gio, and Kirkpatrick.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 12:22 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Hope he goes to the Redskins. Would love to see him and OBJ go at it twice a year. Heard them and the 49ers were very interested.

Jaguars might be in it too. They need secondary help and not sure if Ramsey makes it it them. If he does, you make that pick.

With that said, he had a good year, but that's about it. Would rather give some of that $16 million he's looking for to Zeitler, Gio, and Kirkpatrick.

Redskins would be interesting. They aren't far off salary cap wise, might have to work out an extension with Cousins or redo someone else's deal/backload Normans deal, but it could be done.  I think 49ers are the best fit tho. I've seen several places mention he wants to be in California, plus the niners have the cap space. I know everyone keeps throwing out the Jags, but they seem to have adopted the model of drafting and developing their own players. They have a ton of cap space but much more of their space is in carryover from previous years, and much of that will need to be given to their own guys for extensions so I doubt they are serious players for him. 

49ers have more room that isn't carryover and have fewer extensions to worry about, plus could be trading kaepernick's deal/cutting him in the next few years and starting back with a rookie QB so if Norman wants the best deal and doesn't care about winning I think the niners should be the favorites to land him.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 06:56 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Wow, somebody will pay the big bucks, but it won't be us, we couldn't keep Jonathan Joseph, and Norman is on a whole different level. But it's nice to dream, I'd love to see him locking down Steeler receivers who have the added fear of Burfict lurking somewhere around them as well...it IS nice to dream!!

We matched Joseph's offer, he decided to go elsewhere. 
Reply/Quote
One the cap is riding in the NFL so 16 mil for the best CB in the league isn't as crazy as you guys think. 2 we are in need of a corner and so is Pittsburg and Baltimore. I'd pay 16 mil to keep him off of Pittsburg alone. He makes them better than us flat out. We don't want to face Pissburg with AJ Green being neutralized.

Do I want him on the Bengals? I'd have to convince myself to spend that much on a position I don't think we really need. Jones is back and we have young guys ready to step up. If anything my fear is more of him landing in the AFCN than anything
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Norman is 29 now. Isn't that the same age as Leon Hall? Why would you pay 16m/yr for an older corner who plays cover 3. The panthers don't value the position and just plug in anyone to those spots. Much like the steelers.

I wish the steelers would sign him . It would cost them a few good players to get this diva on their team.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 09:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: .....As interesting as that is, why are we talking about the completely irrelevant base salaries in a conversation about average value, again?

Because "average salaries" are make believe numbers that may never come true.

Here is how Revis contract works.  He gets $33 million over the first two tears.  If he doesn't play play the later years when he only get $10 million a year he doesn't have to give any money back to the team.

But if you are hung up on average salaries Revis got a 6 year $96 million deal from Tampa Bay way back in 2013.  That is an average of $16 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because "average salaries" are make believe numbers that may never come true.

Here is how Revis contract works.  He gets $33 million over the first two tears.  If he doesn't play play the later years when he only get $10 million a year he doesn't have to give any money back to the team.

But if you are hung up on average salaries Revis got a 6 year $96 million deal from Tampa Bay way back in 2013.  That is an average of $16 million a year.

the deal with Tampa was 6 one year deals. they could opt out of at any time
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 11:25 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: the deal with Tampa was 6 one year deals. they could opt out of at any time

So what is your point?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 09:11 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: We matched Joseph's offer, he decided to go elsewhere. 

They did not match the offer, they made a "similar" offer. Hobspin keeps saying they matched it for pretty much ever FA that leaves because people like you keep eating it up without question.

Plus the guaranteed money was nowhere close to the same, because it almost never is with the Bengals. They're 30th in the league in contracts with at least $10m in guaranteed money.

But they're not going to say "He left because the other team offered him more financial security while we wanted him to just rely on the goodwill of an old billionaire businessman for him to see the entirety of his contract." Because that doesn't sound as good.

(04-22-2016, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So what is your point?

That he got paid more for accepting a string of one year deals. Just like this time he got paid more in the first two years of this contract because he got $0 in signing bonus.

A guy who refused to sign a 1yr/$14m deal isn't going to accept either of those conditions in his contract.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 09:11 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: We matched Joseph's offer, he decided to go elsewhere. 

We didn't match the guaranteed money.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 03:05 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We didn't match the guaranteed money.

Yup. Hobson always says they offered "similar" money whenever a good FA gets away. It dates all the way back to Housh leaving for Seattle.

In truth, we usually offer less guaranteed and sometimes that's enough for a player to go elsewhere. Guaranteed money is tough to pass up for some.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote