Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Shaw to get a look at safety
Hey all!
Not a real surprise, but first time being reported that Josh Shaw will get a look at safety (at least according to him).

He looks like Shawn Williams at 200 pounds, and he says he's done it his whole career at Florida/USC. I don't delve into college tape to be honest, but I would imagine he has had some looks back there. Makes sense -- especially if they go dime and they feel he can come up and play over a tight end. Curious to see how it looks when OTA start.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Interesting move.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good way to get him on the field considering he has 3 guys we spent first round picks on in front of him at CB.
Reply/Quote
I thought that might happen after they took WJ3 and didn't take a safety until round 7.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 04:29 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all!
Not a real surprise, but first time being reported that Josh Shaw will get a look at safety (at least according to him).

He looks like Shawn Williams at 200 pounds, and he says he's done it his whole career at Florida/USC. I don't delve into college tape to be honest, but I would imagine he has had some looks back there. Makes sense -- especially if they go dime and they feel he can come up and play over a tight end. Curious to see how it looks when OTA start.

Corners that Play safties... Safties playing Linebacker. Its all just madness...

but its good to have depth that has taken reps. Id feel better with shaw who looked great last season than our 7th rounder gunner for this season if an injury would occur.
Reply/Quote
Fills the need for the 3rd safety in their dime look. Now Mayes or smith need to be on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Corners that Play safties... Safties playing Linebacker.  Its all just madness...

Same thing is happening on the other side of the ball.   TE's are lining up wide and running WR routes while guys like A.J. Green and even RBs line up in the slot.
Reply/Quote
Like to see him and Williams play Safety and Iloka play LB in the nickle
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Will Williams move down to nickle LB?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 06:00 PM)J24 Wrote: Will Williams move down to nickle LB?

He has already played it some.

The more the NFL becomes a passing league the more safeties look like CBs and LBs look like safeties.
Reply/Quote
Our problem is we have two in the box style starting safeties in Iloka and Shawn Williams. We really need a Free Safety (centerfielder) as our last line of defense. I would think Josh Shaw is being groomed to play this role.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 06:07 PM)CoreyK Wrote: CoreyKOur problem is we have two in the box style starting safeties in Iloka and Shawn Williams.  We really need a Free Safety (centerfielder) as our last line of defense.  I would think Josh Shaw is being groomed to play this role.

Iloka is one of the best cover safeties in the league. This stat is from 2 seasons ago when he was healthy the whole year.

Quote:Throwing at Bengals S George IIoka was a mistake last year.  Allowed 0 TDs, and a QB rating of just 18.4, NFL best.

http://cover32.com/2015/06/15/is-cincinnati-bengals-s-george-iloka-the-most-underrated-safety-in-the-nfl/
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 06:13 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Iloka is one of the best cover safeties in the league. This stat is from 2 seasons ago when he was healthy the whole year.

http://cover32.com/2015/06/15/is-cincinnati-bengals-s-george-iloka-the-most-underrated-safety-in-the-nfl/

He was one of the best cover safeties in the league b/c most of his coverage was within 10-15 years from line of scrimmage.  He was not asked to cover Wr's 50 yds downfield very often.  He may be able to do it, he just hasn't had to do that yet in his career.  That was Reggie Nelson's role in the past. 
Reply/Quote
The only thing I didn't like about the WJ3 pick is that it buried Shaw on the depth chart. Shaw really showed some promise last year, so it'd be nice if they could find ways to get him some snaps.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 06:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only thing I didn't like about the WJ3 pick is that it buried Shaw on the depth chart. Shaw really showed some promise last year, so it'd be nice if they could find ways to get him some snaps.

Agreed.

Hopefully the move will not stunt his growth at corner.

If we really need help at FS, bring Hall back and let him take over the role.  I think he could have a career year playing center field.
Reply/Quote
I seem to remember many of the fans around here predicting that Shaw could be moved to Safety, when he was drafted. I guess that goes to show that a few of the draftniks around here seem to know what they are talking about. Nice job, guys.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It is a nice luxury to have a versatile player that can play both.
Reply/Quote
We sorta have a log jamb at CB so if this is a way to keep Shaw I'm all for it. Like others have stated he sowed good promise last season. I'd sure hate to lose him !!
Reply/Quote
With Reggie gone we currently have a shortage of Dreads at the Safety spot. This move makes sense.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It'll be interesting to see who winds up as the dominant safety.  Derron Smith has received hype from the coaching staff for ball skills, Shaw has received hype from the fans for not looking awful and making open field tackles in limited time, and Shawn Williams has made some really good splash plays with his limited time on the field.  Perhaps these three guys are good enough to warrant a trade before all is said and done, perhaps for a DE?  I really want to believe that between the three of them that there is another hidden gem just waiting for a shot.  
Reply/Quote