Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Judge pressing jurors to see if they are impartial
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/could-you-juror-trumps-new-york-hush-money-trial-42-questions-prosecutors-asking

Could you be a juror in Trump's New York hush money trial? See the 42 questions prosecutors are asking
On Monday, former President Trump made history as the 1st former president to stand trial on criminal charges.

Oh, the irony. A biased judge mainly going after anyone who may support Trump, yet not one question pertaining to Biden, the DA or the NY state AG?

No way Trump will get a fair trial in Manhattan. I still think he will not be found guilty, but even so would not make it a fair trial.

They have to answer questions about family members also, yet the judge gets a free pass. The judge should have reclused himself, but if jury convicts, a strong basis for appeal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If I'm either the prosecution or the defense I'd be wary of anyone who says that they can be impartial during this LOL. Jury selection is going to be a nightmare. There's never been an easier case to get yourself excluded for cause. And they need 18 people? Yikes. Going to be a very long process. That said, there are 1.4 million people, they can eventually agree upon 18 people to sit I'm sure.
Reply/Quote
Trump can't get a fair trial anywhere either way because as many people hate him, there is at least 1 person in every 12 who could walk in on him murdering their entire family who would declare him the only innocent man on earth.
Reply/Quote
So the judge is doing his job in seeking an impartial jury. Good

Why can't Trump get a fair trial in Manhattan?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/could-you-juror-trumps-new-york-hush-money-trial-42-questions-prosecutors-asking

Could you be a juror in Trump's New York hush money trial? See the 42 questions prosecutors are asking
On Monday, former President Trump made history as the 1st former president to stand trial on criminal charges.

Oh, the irony. A biased judge mainly going after anyone who may support Trump, yet not one question pertaining to Biden, the DA or the NY state AG?

No way Trump will get a fair trial in Manhattan. I still think he will not be found guilty, but even so would not make it a fair trial.

They have to answer questions about family members also, yet the judge gets a free pass. The judge should have reclused himself, but if jury convicts, a strong basis for appeal.

Both the defense and the prosecution have questionnaires they use to inform their preemptory challenges.  The prosecution is of course going to want to weed out anyone who is a Trump supporter, for the exact same reason the defense would want to keep them.  I guarantee you the defense questionnaire has questions about the topics you mentioned.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:25 PM)pally Wrote: So the judge is doing his job in seeking an impartial jury.  Good

Why can't Trump get a fair trial in Manhattan?

Although typically tongue in cheek I actually agree with Nately on the larger point.  I think it would be very difficult for Trump to get a fair trial pretty much anywhere.  And that cuts both ways.

Reply/Quote
Multiple reporters are saying Trump appeared to have been fighting sleepiness before the lunch break. His head would fall down and then jerk up, his jaw went slack, etc

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/could-you-juror-trumps-new-york-hush-money-trial-42-questions-prosecutors-asking

LOL those questions aren't targeting anyone.....  Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump can't get a fair trial anywhere either way because as many people hate him, there is at least 1 person in every 12 who could walk in on him murdering their entire family who would declare him the only innocent man on earth.

Probably why they're asking all the questions. They want to weed out anyone who doesn't hate DJT.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:11 PM)pally Wrote: Multiple reporters are saying Trump appeared to have been fighting sleepiness before the lunch break.  His head would fall down and then jerk up, his jaw went slack, etc

Trump falling asleep during a criminal trial only proves that Joe Biden is the real sleepy criminal.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:11 PM)pally Wrote: Multiple reporters are saying Trump appeared to have been fighting sleepiness before the lunch break.  His head would fall down and then jerk up, his jaw went slack, etc

Have you ever sat through jury selection? It is some of the most mind-numbingly boring procedure out there. I've almost nodded off working during them LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:04 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Have you ever sat through jury selection? It is some of the most mind-numbingly boring procedure out there. I've almost nodded off working during them LOL

they hadn't even gotten that far yet

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:04 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Have you ever sat through jury selection? It is some of the most mind-numbingly boring procedure out there. I've almost nodded off working during them LOL

I've never even had so much as a parking ticket and I get nervous when I see the police, I can't imagine being drowsy during my own criminal trial.
Reply/Quote

(04-15-2024, 03:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I've never even had so much as a parking ticket and I get nervous when I see the police, I can't imagine being drowsy during my own criminal trial.

As someone who's been in court numerous times but is not part of the actual nuts and bolts business of the court (i.e. an attorney, clerk, bench officer, court officer) I can assure you that sitting there while they work their way through legal minutiae is as tedious and boring a process as exists.  Someone not directly involved getting drowsy and nodding off isn't exactly an unheard of scenario.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As someone who's been in court numerous times but is not part of the actual nuts and bolts business of the court (i.e. an attorney, clerk, bench officer, court officer) I can assure you that sitting there while they work their way through legal minutiae is as tedious and boring a process as exists.  Someone not directly involved getting drowsy and nodding off isn't exactly an unheard of scenario.

I believe it, but I also believe that Trump and his supporters would equate being "relaxed enough to nod off during a criminal trial" as evidence of guilt if anyone else did it.  Sort of like that whole taking the 5th thing.

But as I said, this ain't a true representative US jury if there isn't at least 1 of those 12 jurors who will confess to the crime and do time for Trump on it.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I believe it, but I also believe that Trump and his supporters would equate being "relaxed enough to nod off during a criminal trial" as evidence of guilt if anyone else did it.  Sort of like that whole taking the 5th thing.

I agree, just as I agree that there's people among those who hate him who believe the same thing about Trump.

Quote:But as I said, this ain't a true representative US jury if there isn't at least 1 of those 12 jurors who will confess to the crime and do time for Trump on it.

Possibly more, but I'd say 8% of the US population is a safe number.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I agree, just as I agree that there's people among those who hate him who believe the same thing about Trump.

Possibly more, but I'd say 8% of the US population is a safe number.

Trump hate and Trump love isn't symmetrical, though.  The thing is that he's spent decades being rather disliked and using that as a selling point.  Then 35% or so of the population decides he's the greatest person ever and calls out the haters. Trump thrives off of hate, and Trump supporters love him the more people hate him, so I guess they picked the right guy there.  Yes, people hate Trump...he's also the only president who was elected 30+ years after pretty much everyone from Sesame Street on down took shots at him.

It'd be like if tomorrow 35% of Americans just decided that Yoko Ono was the best musician ever and complained that people hated her.  Well duh, they've been doing that for decades, you're the ones who decided to do a societal 180 on it.  If you want to hitch your wagon to someone a lot of people hate, you should expect even more haters than a usual politician is going to get.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 03:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump hate and Trump love isn't symmetrical, though.  The thing is that he's spent decades being rather disliked and using that as a selling point.  Then 35% or so of the population decides he's the greatest person ever and calls out the haters. Trump thrives off of hate, and Trump supporters love him the more people hate him, so I guess they picked the right guy there.  Yes, people hate Trump...he's also the only president who was elected 30+ years after pretty much everyone from Sesame Street on down took shots at him.

It'd be like if tomorrow 35% of Americans just decided that Yoko Ono was the best musician ever and complained that people hated her.  Well duh, they've been doing that for decades, you're the ones who decided to do a societal 180 on it.  If you want to hitch your wagon to someone a lot of people hate, you should expect even more haters than a usual politician is going to get.

I don't think I can fully agree with you here.  Prior to running in 2016 Trump was a rather well liked figure.  I know we're going back further, but dude was in Home Alone 2.  He was basically synonymous with NYC.  I may not have the exact year that this changed correct, but it wasn't much earlier than 2016.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 04:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think I can fully agree with you here.  Prior to running in 2016 Trump was a rather well liked figure.  I know we're going back further, but dude was in Home Alone 2.  He was basically synonymous with NYC.  I may not have the exact year that this changed correct, but it wasn't much earlier than 2016.

Well, maybe acting like he was outright hated would be a bit much but the notion that he's the sort of selfless and totally clean god-loving patriot who NEEDS to be president that he is now would have been met with some hate.

Though I've admitted when I was 15 I was in NYC on a school trip and my buddies and I went to the Trump tower and were marking out for how awesome Trump was in our minds.  Trump being president would have seemed like the most awesome and logical thing ever to a 15 year old Nately120.  And conservatives say that kids are morons, eh?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 01:16 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: If I'm either the prosecution or the defense I'd be wary of anyone who says that they can be impartial during this LOL. Jury selection is going to be a nightmare. There's never been an easier case to get yourself excluded for cause. And they need 18 people? Yikes. Going to be a very long process. That said, there are 1.4 million people, they can eventually agree upon 18 people to sit I'm sure.

The pool is almost 500 people.

I would ask them under oath to agree to never attempt to profit from being a juror in this case. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote