Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocho fight
Chad would make a good consultant ( not exactly a coach ). Having him in there to help teach some things would be great.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate may be more limited in where he can play, but Boyd is very versatile and I believe Higgins and Chase are (or can be) as well.
I'd think Tate can play either outside spot if called upon.
I'd prefer Trent Taylor in the backup slot role over Thomas. He's had 79 rec for 731 yards and 3 TDs across 3 seasons.
There are also other WRs to add in FA still who would be an improvement over Thomas.
Thomas is really just a ST guy in my eyes.

I see where you're coming from. I am in agreement that they see Taylor as the backup slot guy. Tate, Thomas, & Washington will be the battle for #4, I would guess.

Personally, I think it's Mike Thomas' job to lose.

Also, I loved how he blasted the Dolphins returner 2x in payback for what they did to Boyd. I have ZERO problems with it, all things considered.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:36 PM)jason Wrote: For real.... Mayweather is better than this. He should be anyway.

Mayweather is a great boxer, but a better businessman and promoter.

I think he got 50 million for a logo on his shorts, fights a guy who has zero chance of hurting him.

Congrats Floyd, tales away the stigma boxers are dumb.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 03:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: This thread is in Jungle Noise so I decided against the long rant, but you're exactly right. All this talk of "Chad held his own in the ring" or "Paul went the distance with Mayweather" that you see on social media is asinine. If Maxwell wanted to drop Chad in the first, he would have. He let him know that much in round 4. Mayweather literally held up a knocked out Paul.

Power to all of them. They made boatloads of money for minutes of glorified sparring on PPV. But take as much stock in Chad's prowess as a fighter from this fight as you do from him hitting his ex-wife.

I thought the same of Mayweather when he became more concerned about protecting his unblemished record than fighting actual contenders. 

But now being retired from real boxing? Go get that money. The guy just took home 30+ million to carry a guy eight rounds. I can't hate 'em for that.

It's not official, but shit like this blemishes Floyd as much as any loss to a contender later in his career would have. I liked Floyd at the Atlanta Olympics, but he was boring as a pro... Yet and still the man was a defensive fighting genius, and has to be considered one of the all time greats. This kind of thing just disrespects the sport (though it's already dying) that made him a very wealthy man. It's nothing to lose sleep over, it's just lame. Very 2021, influencer, likes, and shallow. Next time let Tyson's broke ass fight one of these clowns and actually break an orbital or something.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ed "Too Tall" Jones (6'9", 275) was one of the greatest all-around athletes ever.  He started out as a basketball player at Tennessee State but after two years switched to football to play DE..  He was so talented that he was the first overall pick of the 1974 NFL draft.  After just 5 seasons he quit football to become a professional fighter.  He claimed boxing had always been his favorite sport. Even though he fought a bunch of nobodies I remember his fights being televised just because he was a famous NFL player.  He never lost a fight as a pro, but he was never considered that good.  After two years of boxing he went back to the NFL and finished an incredible career.  He played until he was 38 years old and never missed a game with injury.  He was 3 times Pro Bowl and First Team All-Pro once. 

That is pretty much what happens with a lot of Rugby League players here in Australia, their pay for view fights bring in a lot of money because they have made a name for themselves in Rugby League. The ones with a controversial rep do this best because a lot of people tune in to watch them get knocked out lol. 

Anthony Mundine was a big mouthed Rugby League player who started out boxing that way, his father was a very well respected boxer here in Australia. Anthony went on to win 3 world titles.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 04:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People will scoff at this, but tbh he probably would be better than our depth guys. Both he and TO look like they could still play. Obviously they wouldn't be stars...but as depth guys who could get you 20 catches in a season? Sure. The NFL just won't give old guys a shot for some reason. Maybe it'd just reek of desperation.

Agree, but most likely because aging stars would want way more money than a 4 or 5 WR is worth paying. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 09:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree, but most likely because aging stars would want way more money than a 4 or 5 WR is worth paying. 

Probably true in many cases, but Chad did play in Canada for peanuts, and TO signed a small contract with us in 2010. With those particular guys, it could be that the media hoopla wouldn't be worth it for a 5-6 WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 09:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Chad Johnson is 43 years old and is fighting a guy who fights professionally in Bare Knuckle Boxing.  That's pretty impressive in my book.

I will get destroyed for this, but with his feet, I would still think he could line up at slot WR and be better than many in the league.  The guy simply doesn't age.  Must be all the preservatives in McDonalds.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 10:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That wuss refused to fight Pacman 'cuz he was afraid he'd get shot if he won...

In all seriousness, Chad was on Movin' The Chains talking about the fight and was asked if he thought he might try to do it again if he wins.  His response was it would be incredibly disrespectful to all of the professional fighters out there for him to try and step in at this point in time and try to make a career out of it.  He stated that his offseason training included soccer and boxing going all the way back to college, and that is the only reason he is stepping into the ring right now: a once in a lifetime opportunity to use that training in a way that will benefit a cause.  Gotta give him a ton of props for that answer...

Made me laugh.  And I am glad this was a one-shot deal.  I don't want to see an old Ocho with brain damage.  He's probably thinking if Tim Tebow can play TE, then he could play slot WR and he might be right.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 11:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Regarding WR depth..

- I have high hopes for Mike Thomas being a good #4, but Tate looks to be more of a specific scenario type of player.

- The kid from SF, Taylor, has some potential behind Boyd. He had a very good rookie season and then just fizzled out of San Fran. I know he was out 2019 with injury, but that doesn't explain the drop in targets and production...

ROOKIE 2017: 60 targets & 43 catches 
2018: 41 & 26
2019: DNP INJURED
2020: 21 targets for 10 catches

^ I'm sure missing 2019 put Taylor behind and the 49ers found a strong replacement and Taylor just didn't have a place.

- The intriguing guy to me is Scotty Washington. As a developmental guy to see out there, I'm hoping he can really grow and learn with the guys on the roster. I think the pace and expectations will be high from the Bengals top 3 and, as the saying goes, iron sharpens iron.

- My hopes and dreams involve CJ & Sample becoming very viable targets, limiting the use of 11 personnel and allowing for more 12 sets (2 TEs) and a more prominently featured rushing attack.

^ If fully healthy, this leaves limited roles for Thomas, Tate, Taylor, & Washington to where maybe they are just there for rotational use. At 43, could Chad take the pounding of a possession receiver? I have no doubts he could get open on shorter routes and still catch. But the play to play beating is my question.

Really curious as to what the Bengals 5 wide ends up looking like. Will that be based on the scenarios like down and distance? Or will it be a reliable same 5 guys? Right now it would probably be the big 3 and Thomas + Tate? or would a TE (or 2) be tossed in instead? An RB (Evans? Mixon?).

I appreciate Taylor having a super flexible offense... but at what point do the Bengals declare who and what they really are as an offensive unit? Jack of all trades, masters of none?

I think Trent Taylor is a lock as backup slot WR.  None of the other guys are prototypical slot guys.  I think he might be a real steal.  Tate will provide quality depth behind Higgins and Chase outside.  The sixth guy?  I'm guessing Thomas because ZT knows him and he plays special teams although he wasn't very impressive in either role last year.  

As far as Chad goes, I think he could be a slot WR now and actually be productive but I agree with others that as fun as he might be to have around, it is more distraction and novelty at this point than production.  For a shit team like the Lions with no weapons?  Heck, I would give him a look.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 11:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Probably true in many cases, but Chad did play in Canada for peanuts, and TO signed a small contract with us in 2010. With those particular guys, it could be that the media hoopla wouldn't be worth it for a 5-6 WR.

good point 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 08:00 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: That is pretty much what happens with a lot of Rugby League players here in Australia, their pay for view fights bring in a lot of money because they have made a name for themselves in Rugby League. The ones with a controversial rep do this best because a lot of people tune in to watch them get knocked out lol. 

Anthony Mundine was a big mouthed Rugby League player who started out boxing that way, his father was a very well respected boxer here in Australia. Anthony went on to win 3 world titles.

Wow, hadn't heard Mundine mentioned in a while.  Despite his controversial nature, he is definitely one of the best crossover athletes I've seen.  I remember that ridiculous Danny Green fight with the non-disqualification in the first followed by the bs scorecards after the bout.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 09:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: [img] <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> [/img]

Impressive, Chad looks like a boxer out there. Fighting a pro fighter and giving shots like that is crazy.

Especially since he eats so much Mikky D's. Mad respect Chad, mad respect. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 12:51 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Wow, hadn't heard Mundine mentioned in a while.  Despite his controversial nature, he is definitely one of the best crossover athletes I've seen.  I remember that ridiculous Danny Green fight with the non-disqualification in the first followed by the bs scorecards after the bout.  

He only finished fighting over here in March when he was knocked out in the 1st round. To be honest when he made his retirement announcement I don't think he appear to be a in a good way and probably should have stopped fighting at least 5 years ago. 

Some highlights from his footy career.

Reply/Quote
You're free to believe anything you like, but boxing is nothing like it used to be in this country when there were clubs in nearly every city with real hungry fighters every day ready to take someone's head off for the shot at a title. Today it's more of a boutique type atmosphere where weekend warriors pay big bucks to pretend to be fighters and real fighters can rip them to shreds in half a round in most cases.
I'm not particularly impressed. Does anyone really think a 43 year old Chad Johnson could go toe to toe with the likes of say, Tommy Hearns in his prime fighting for a title? Not a chance. He would've been dog meat in the first round.
Anyway..at 43 he's lost just too many quick steps and no pro coach in his right mind would waste a roster spot for a 43 year old washed up receiver when there are hundreds or even thousands of 20 somethings hungry for a shot at the NFL. That would be professional malpractice... for that matter it was probably malpractice for Mayweathers manager to let him fight Chad on the off chance Chad landed a knockout punch by accident..
I give Chad credit for trying to remain relevant on social media, but he ain't making a roster with any team trying to truly compete.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote