Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Just come on, catch me. Try to catch me"
(05-13-2016, 03:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: ALL OF THEM, but I meant Core  ThumbsUp

It's amazing that we've actually become a model for good drafting.  Even if I'm initially like "what the ****" on a pick, now I can look into it and be like "wow.......  that'a a great pick!"

I think he'll do more than just stick and be a contributor.

I dunno...I think most of the WTF picks are still pretty WTF now.

Hunt, Clarke, Bodine, Moch, Sands, Gresham (because of who else was on the board), Coffman, Shirley, Simpson, Irons, White, Nicholson, McNeal.

Basically, the only pick I can think of that made me say WTF that has turned around is Andy Dalton. Add Hill as a maybe to that list, but only because the RB out of OSU was also available and Hill had character issues. Plus, he still has some work to do to prove his rookie year wasn't a fluke.

We've had some really good drafts, but the picks that I've been most impressed with have been the picks of the falling prospects and turning them into good players. Examples include Thompson, Marvin Jones, Iloka, McCarron, Burkhead, Eifert, Sanu, Boling, Dunlap, A Smith, Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Collins, Hall, Whitworth and Henry.

These players all had the talent to go at least 1 round before they did (in some cases, like Jones, 2 to 3 rounds), except for Eifert and Smith, who had the potential to go 5 to 10 spots higher than they did in the first. 

Then there's potential with Dennard, Fisher, Dawson, Shaw, Hardison, Smith, Alford, Billings and Westerman, all of whom fell at least 1 to 2 rounds from their projections, except for Dennard who had the potential to go 10 to 15 picks higher than he did.

Obviously they have had busts on the falling prospects as well, such as Still, Charles, Ghee and Luigs. So they aren't infallible in that regard, but for the most part those picks work out.

The jury is still out on Hunt, Clarke and Bodine, but the gold in the Bengals' drafts is not in the lesser known prospects or supposed reaches, per the pre-draft consensus. It's in the extremely well known prospects that they got a round or more later than they were projected to go.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 01:46 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I dunno...I think most of the WTF picks are still pretty WTF now.

Hunt, Clarke, Bodine, Moch, Sands, Gresham (because of who else was on the board), Coffman, Shirley, Simpson, Irons, White, Nicholson, McNeal.

Basically, the only pick I can think of that made me say WTF that has turned around is Andy Dalton. Add Hill as a maybe to that list, but only because the RB out of OSU was also available and Hill had character issues. Plus, he still has some work to do to prove his rookie year wasn't a fluke.

We've had some really good drafts, but the picks that I've been most impressed with have been the picks of the falling prospects and turning them into good players. Examples include Thompson, Marvin Jones, Iloka, McCarron, Burkhead, Eifert, Sanu, Boling, Dunlap, A Smith, Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Collins, Hall, Whitworth and Henry.

These players all had the talent to go at least 1 round before they did (in some cases, like Jones, 2 to 3 rounds), except for Eifert and Smith, who had the potential to go 5 to 10 spots higher than they did in the first. 

Then there's potential with Dennard, Fisher, Dawson, Shaw, Hardison, Smith, Alford, Billings and Westerman, all of whom fell at least 1 to 2 rounds from their projections, except for Dennard who had the potential to go 10 to 15 picks higher than he did.

Obviously they have had busts on the falling prospects as well, such as Still, Charles, Ghee and Luigs. So they aren't infallible in that regard, but for the most part those picks work out.

The jury is still out on Hunt, Clarke and Bodine, but the gold in the Bengals' drafts is not in the lesser known prospects or supposed reaches, per the pre-draft consensus. It's in the extremely well known prospects that they got a round or more later than they were projected to go.

I'll say 3rd round and later talent that we have picked since around Lewis has been here. We have gotten better in recent history in getting good mid to late round picks too.

3rd round Chris Henry
3rd round Frostee Rucker
3rd round Michael Johnson
3rd round Mohamed Sanu
3rd round Brandon Thomson
4th round Rudi Johnson
4th round Robert Geathers
4th round Domata Peko
4th round Geno Atkins
4th round Clint Boling
5th round Kevin Huber
5th round Marvin Jones
5th round George Iloka
6th round Houshmandzadeh
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 10:17 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: If he blocks as well as they say he does, I suggest "Blast Core"

[Image: liljbomb.png]

Dang it Rotobeast, look what you have done to this thread.

Sorry....
My sarcasm gets me in trouble, all the time.
Tongue
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2016, 09:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Cody Core has been my pick since gitty up. As to his nickname, listed by favs:

Code Red

Hard Core

Core Value

CDC (Center for Defense Control)
The Main Corse
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 02:37 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'll say 3rd round and later talent that we have picked since around Lewis has been here. We have gotten better in recent history in getting good mid to late round picks too.

3rd round Chris Henry
3rd round Frostee Rucker
3rd round Michael Johnson
3rd round Mohamed Sanu
3rd round Brandon Thomson
4th round Rudi Johnson
4th round Robert Geathers
4th round Domata Peko
4th round Geno Atkins
4th round Clint Boling
5th round Kevin Huber
5th round Marvin Jones
5th round George Iloka
6th round Houshmandzadeh

Wasn't Housh a 7th rounder?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 07:47 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Wasn't Housh a 7th rounder?

Yes, but he was drafted during the LeBeau years.
Reply/Quote
I'm kind of partial to '6th round hype machine who probably won't have 10 receptions all year'.

I know i know. A bit long, but it does slide right off the tongue with ease, no?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:46 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm kind of partial to '6th round hype machine who probably won't have 10 receptions all year'.

I know i know. A bit long, but it does slide right off the tongue with ease, no?

And the 2016 Golden Binns award goes to............?

Seriously, it's too early to award this thing but Core has already supplanted Alford and Wright in the running!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 04:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, not sure how excited I can be about a 6th round WR blowing by and berating our 1st round pick, but meh...we shall see!  Lord knows we can't have a Bengals off-season without anointing some late-round WR as THE difference maker for the upcoming year! Ninja

Yes, that made me more worried for Jackson than optimistic about Core.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 01:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: And the 2016 Golden Binns award goes to............?

Seriously, it's too early to award this thing but Core has already supplanted Alford and Wright in the running!

The Bengals do love needlessly talking up back up receivers in the off season.

"He looks like Larry Fitzpatrick on the practice field."

My ass...

Still bitter about Binns.
Reply/Quote
They have already started carving the busts of Core and Vigil for the Hall of Fame.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 07:26 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Bengals do love needlessly talking up back up receivers in the off season.

"He looks like Larry Fitzpatrick on the practice field."

My ass...

Still bitter about Binns.

Did you really buy into that narrative?  
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 01:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did you really buy into that narrative?  

The bigger question is did the Bengals really believe what they were saying
Reply/Quote

I was young and gullible haha. I was a UC fan and I saw what he could do in college so I thought there was a chance that he was ready to become a contributor.

I didn't think he was going to be the next Larry Fitzgerald. But a contributing 3rd or 4th WR I thought was more than in the realm of possibility.

Obviously, I was wrong. As I was wrong about Mardy Gilyard, who I thought had the best hands in that entire draft. Poor St. Louis.

Along with their selection of Isaiah Pead, they probably will never touch a Cincinnati product ever again.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 03:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was young and gullible haha. I was a UC fan and I saw what he could do in college so I thought there was a chance that he was ready to become a contributor.

I didn't think he was going to be the next Larry Fitzgerald. But a contributing 3rd or 4th WR I thought was more than in the realm of possibility.

Obviously, I was wrong. As I was wrong about Mardy Gilyard, who I thought had the best hands in that entire draft. Poor St. Louis.

Along with their selection of Isaiah Pead, they probably will never touch a Cincinnati product ever again.

Its easy to fall for good character guys. Binns was a nice kid. I feel like fans in general always root for the good guy. I was in his case as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 03:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was young and gullible haha. I was a UC fan and I saw what he could do in college so I thought there was a chance that he was ready to become a contributor.

When you look back at Binns, Gilyard, Pead, and Pike, it does make one hesitant to take UC products. But Derek Wolfe, Travis Kelce, and Connor Barwin have done well in the NFL at least.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The problem is that the coaches and Hobson go crazy with the hype. Then fans think we have some sort of amazing player. Binns is always brought up, but Jerome Simpson started off as the super-hyped WR. The 08, 09, and 10 offseasons saw his name floated around as some sort of amazing talent. Remember all the hype towards Maurice Purify? Jesus, there was a guy that hyped almost as much as Binns.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:17 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The problem is that the coaches and Hobson go crazy with the hype. Then fans think we have some sort of amazing player. Binns is always brought up, but Jerome Simpson started off as the super-hyped WR. The 08, 09, and 10 offseasons saw his name floated around as some sort of amazing talent. Remember all the hype towards Maurice Purify? Jesus, there was a guy that hyped almost as much as Binns.

For me, James Wright and Alford fit right into this mold. James Wright is just a hurdle away from being just as good as AJ Green, and Alford is coming along... right??!!?
Reply/Quote
I'll never let this board live down the whole Binns hype (though I don't actually remember WHO was on his wagon), but while searching for some old hype article on him from 2012 or so I stumbled across an actual Armon Binns Bengals iPhone case for sale on amazon.

[Image: 51okQvAwr1L.jpg]

That's just great...and the fact that it says his number is 55 because I assume the artist couldn't read the number on the single picture's jersey...priceless. But the Binns love was my favorite because it was all over the place. The guy PRACTICED like he was a #1 WR and was compared to a number of top 10 drafted WRs BUT he was an UDFA which made him like Victor Cruz (back when that meant "good WR" and not "constantly injured") and Arian Foster...plus it made him MAD!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 05:25 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: For me, James Wright and Alford fit right into this mold. James Wright is just a hurdle away from being just as good as AJ Green, and Alford is coming along... right??!!?

Honestly, I think the hype for Wright and Alford was insurance in case we didn't land any WRs in the draft. I don't think we'll hear their name as much, at least not Wright's. I mean Wright's not even a guarantee to play this year. Alford had a fanbase, myself included, because he was the best competition we've ever brought in to challenge Tate for the KR role. Then we saw how he wasn't used in preseason and all the hype for him was gone.

Honestly, Alford playing in one game and having one catch exceeded my expectations for him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote