Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just my evaluation right now
As of right now how the team is i see the Bengals winning a wildcard game vs a slightly weaker team ,then getting beat in the division round. I mean that would be a huge deal to everyone to witness that,and would be like our superbowl right there. But i really want more. A couple things i think needs to happen to go even farther in the playoffs. 1 Auden Tate needs to see the field and get involved, i dont care how ,by tight end or wide receiver, we lost eifert who didnt block hardly anyway, tate is the next best thing at going up and snatching the ball and would be a red zone threat. # 2 John ross needs to be healthy and make plays consistently for us by the end of the year. We need that #15 lucky number magic, his speed is much needed. Look how percy harvin helped the seahawks in their first superbowl. #3 tweaks on o line and maybe linebacker. Find a little better combo of a line, along with replacing nickerson. If tez went out for any reason,we are weak at linebacker. Id like to see brandon bell get a shot, or jefferson. # 4 darius phillips actually returning kicks, i ask myself during each kick return why isnt he in there, hes the real threat to take it for a td. Last but not least # 5 health. Cincinnati sports in general seem to be cursed with the fatal injuries. No major losses to our team, dalton,green , geno , tez , mixon definitely.

Also will add. Ive been a critic of Dalton except for 2015. I feel this Dalton is capable of winning a ring. I havnt seen the scared , skitzy one read qb dalton this year. Ive been impressed with him all year on his progression. He makes me think who is this dalton. Ive seen him staying in the pocket and even scanning his options, ive seen him argue refs, ive seen him look good on the run, ive seen him extend plays and make something happen. This is something dalton did not do, is extend plays hardly. Now he is. Thats like a big ben, favre trait that made them guys good. Now big ben rarely extending plays now adays. And i think its got to do with lazor getting plays from what worked with dalton at tcu i heard,and also the green bay qb coach who was said to work with dalton under pressure. It has worked!! Dalton will never have elite talent but he looks qb smart this year ,and i feel good about him. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I think if we ever see all three phases of the game (offense, defense, special teams) with a sprinkle of good coaching, they will beat the ever loving shit out of whatever poor team draws that matchup.

They can go all the way and win it all or they can finish the year 4-12.

Right now, it all comes down to staying healthy, continuing to improve their shortcomings (LB on coverage, stopping the run, 3rd down defense) and continuing to build on their strengths (Involving other weapons in the offense like Shrek, Ross, Malone, Core, and Walton) and staying hungry.

We saw for one half against Baltimore and one half against the fins what this defense can do. They were fired up, pissed off...call it whatever you want but they were eating big time. If we get a more consistent performance out of those guys (and WJIII FINALLY looked like he woke up from his early slumber), the sky is the limit.

Everyone is annoiting the Rams and Chiefs the Super Bowl participants, but there is a lot of football to be played yet and I would rather NOT look perfect right now, but down the final few games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like a pretty pessimistic outlook, especially Dalton.

It's not really cool to be a realist here, based upon team history.
Reply/Quote
It would be nice if Ross could become a contributor, but that's all on him. His issues are more self-inflicted than anything. As for Tate, I'd like to see him get some snaps but I don't think his development this season is as important to winning as other players. The OLine definitely needs to improve/gel/get healthy/make some changes or something. They have to improve for us to be able to beat good teams and have any hopes of advancing in the playoffs.

It's not just that we don't seem to have a ton of talent at LB, we also never seem to be able to find LBs that can cover the pass. Every. Damn. Year. We have to watch TEs and RBs kick our teeth in. The D most definitely has to improve on 3rd down.

At this point though it's hard not to be optimistic. Through erratic OLine play, injured players, poor defensive play, and poor special teams play this team is 4-1 and first place in the division. They're finding ways to win and overcoming obstacles. That tends to be what good teams do. This team looks and feels different to me.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is what Dalton has always been. Thanks for noticing!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 09:42 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It's not really cool to be a realist here, based upon team history.

It is not cool to be negative here.

The term "realist" does not apply because you have no idea what this team will "really" do.  Too many times I have seen the Bengals make the playoffs when the "realist" said they would not.  And ask Philly fans how much "realist" know about "reality".

I don't mind you being negative.  As  Bengal fan you have the right to have a negative outlook.  Just call it what it is and stop using the term "realist".
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 09:42 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Sounds like a pretty pessimistic outlook, especially Dalton.

Hey Eyore, can you take your trolling somewhere else
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:25 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: As of right now how the team is i see the Bengals winning a wildcard game vs a slightly weaker team ,then getting beat in the division round. I mean that would be a huge deal to everyone to witness that,and would be like our superbowl right there. But i really want more. A couple things i think needs to happen to go even farther in the playoffs. 1 Auden Tate needs to see the field and get involved, i dont care how ,by tight end or wide receiver, we lost eifert who didnt block hardly anyway, tate is the next best thing at going up and snatching the ball and would be a red zone threat. # 2 John ross needs to be healthy and make plays consistently for us by the end of the year. We need that #15 lucky number magic, his speed is much needed. Look how percy harvin helped the seahawks in their first superbowl. #3 tweaks on o line and maybe linebacker. Find a little better combo of a line, along with replacing nickerson. If tez went out for any reason,we are weak at linebacker. Id like to see brandon bell get a shot, or jefferson. # 4 darius phillips actually returning kicks, i ask myself during each kick return why isnt he in there, hes the real threat to take it for a td. Last but not least # 5 health. Cincinnati sports in general seem to be cursed with the fatal injuries. No major losses to our team, dalton,green , geno , tez , mixon definitely.

Also will add. Ive been a critic of Dalton except for 2015. I feel this Dalton is capable of winning a ring. I havnt seen the scared , skitzy one read qb dalton this year. Ive been impressed with him all year on his progression. He makes me think who is this dalton. Ive seen him staying in the pocket and even scanning his options, ive seen him argue refs, ive seen him look good on the run, ive seen him extend plays and make something happen. This is something dalton did not do, is extend plays hardly. Now he is. Thats like a big ben, favre trait that made them guys good. Now big ben rarely extending plays now adays. And i think its got to do with lazor getting plays from what worked with dalton at tcu i heard,and also the green bay qb coach who was said to work with dalton under pressure. It has worked!! Dalton will never have elite talent but he looks qb smart this year ,and i feel good about him. Thoughts?
Good post, but I don't see us doing the wildcard thing this year. I think we could get a bye. So far we have lost to the Panthers and even then we didn't play our best and were missing AJ. Yet that game could have been pulled. This team feels different, as others have said.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 09:42 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Sounds like a pretty pessimistic outlook, especially Dalton.

Methinks you didn't read his whole post.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Team history? 

You must mean Franchise history because the TEAM is the second youngest in the NFL...and there is no quit in them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not cool to be negative here.

The term "realist" does not apply because you have no idea what this team will "really" do.  Too many times I have seen the Bengals make the playoffs when the "realist" said they would not.  And ask Philly fans how much "realist" know about "reality".

I don't mind you being negative.  As  Bengal fan you have the right to have a negative outlook.  Just call it what it is and stop using the term "realist".

You ever seen the Game Day or the Dalton thread Freddie?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:29 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Dalton is what Dalton has always been. Thanks for noticing!
Depends on which opinion of Dalton that has been thrown around here for the last, almost 8 years.

An incompetent Howdy Doody who isn't capable of winning a SB?

A solid QB who is as good at reading defenses as anyone else and very capable of winning a championship?

Many say he's not elite, as if that's a pertinent standard??  A big part of my definition of elite would have to include consistency.

Out of 32 teams, outside of Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and possibly Pig Pen, who else is there?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 06:25 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: ............ # 2 John ross needs to be healthy and make plays consistently for us by the end of the year. We need that #15 lucky number magic, his speed is much needed. Look how percy harvin helped the seahawks in their first superbowl..........

Not to be superstitious but I think the #15 is a cursed number to be a receiver for any bengal.

*SORCERY*

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:07 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You ever seen the Game Day or the Dalton thread Freddie?

I've seen plenty of game day threads where the "realists" predict defeat whenever we fall behind.

Not sure what the Dalton threads have to do with "realists".
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I've seen plenty of game day threads where the "realists" predict defeat whenever we fall behind.

Okay, do you participate in the game day threads, and if so, are you taking them to task?

There are guys in the Dalton threads that have counted him out as incapable of winning a championship, BASED UPON the history of his play since he came into the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I've seen plenty of game day threads where the "realists" predict defeat whenever we fall behind.

Let me ask you this, and anyone else who sees this can weigh in.

When Burfict made the interception, in the 2015 Wild Card game, with 1:36 left, on the Steelers 28 yard line, with the Bengals ahead by one point,
how many fans here do you think, thought:

1.  That's the game.  Finally a playoff victory?

2.  That's good, but hold the celebration because these are the Bengals.  I want to wait until the clock reads 0:00, the Bengals are still at least a point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field?

If I told you I was the number 2, would that have been negative thinking or seeing things as a realist based upon their history.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:24 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Let me ask you this, and anyone else who sees this can weigh in.

When Burfict made the interception, in the 2015 Wild Card game, with 1:36 left, on the Steelers 28 yard line, with the Bengals ahead by one point,
how many fans here do you think, thought:

1.  That's the game.  Finally a playoff victory?

2.  That's good, but hold the celebration because these are the Bengals.  I want to wait until the clock reads 0:00, the Bengals are still at least a point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field?

If I told you I was the number 2, would that have been negative thinking or seeing things as a realist based upon their history.

I hate to bust in on your conversation (not really), but you clearly don't understand what a 'realist' is.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I hate to bust in on your conversation (not really), but you clearly don't understand what a 'realist' is.

Enlighten me how #2 is NOT being a realist.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not cool to be negative here.

Talking Heads don't either, but they get paid big bucks for their opinions and just about everyone of those THs predicted, from Eagles season history, that they would NOT even win the playoff games they were playing in, based upon Wentz out, and Foles having a very shaky career and performance in the season games he played for Wentz.

It would be a little foolish to think that there weren't a substantial amount of fans who thought just like the THs, only difference was, they were 'hoping' for the best, but expecting and being prepared for a one and out playoff year.

You see Philly, rewrote their history with a SB win, overcoming all the odds.  That's their legacy now.

Kind of like the Bills.  Except for the majority of their own fans, most 'other' fans think of the Bills as a team that's 0-4 in SB appearances, NOT the fact that they went to 4 SBs in a row, which probably will never happen again by ANY team.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:41 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Talking Heads don't either, but they get paid big bucks for their opinions and just about everyone of those THs predicted, from Eagles season history, that they would NOT even win the playoff games they were playing in, based upon Wentz out, and Foles having a very shaky career and performance in the season games he played for Wentz.

It would be a little foolish to think that there weren't a substantial amount of fans who thought just like the THs, only difference was, they were 'hoping' for the best, but expecting and being prepared for a one and out playoff year.

You see Philly, rewrote their history with a SB win, overcoming all the odds.  That's their legacy now.

Kind of like the Bills.  Except for the majority of their own fans, most 'other' fans think of the Bills as a team that's 0-4 in SB appearances, NOT the fact that they went to 4 SBs in a row, which probably will never happen again by ANY team.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8717912]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote