Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KY Bill allowing Bible literacy classes in public schools
I believe America has done this right in the past hundred or so years: keep religious teaching in churches, homes and private institutions, not in the public schools.

I think the push to teach religion, particularly Christianity, in public schools comes from fear: fear that someday Christians may not be the majority in this nation. This line of thinking violates Christian teachings in several different ways.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(03-16-2016, 12:57 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I believe America has done this right in the past hundred or so years: keep religious teaching in churches, homes and private institutions, not in the public schools.

I think the push to teach religion, particularly Christianity, in public schools comes from fear: fear that someday Christians may not be the majority in this nation. This line of thinking violates Christian teachings in several different ways.

I disagree. I think ALL religions should be taught. Obviously, not in a proselytizing manner, but in terms of what is taught and practices, etc.

In my opinion, this would help stem a lot of the hatred towards certain religions (thinking mainly of the Muslim religion). Obviously not all of it, but I think it would lessen it and if done correctly, could make people more tolerant of differing views.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(03-16-2016, 12:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree. I think ALL religions should be taught. Obviously, not in a proselytizing manner, but in terms of what is taught and practices, etc.

In my opinion, this would help stem a lot of the hatred towards certain religions (thinking mainly of the Muslim religion). Obviously not all of it, but I think it would lessen it and if done correctly, could make people more tolerant of differing views.

This is a solid point and one that I concur with. I was having a discussion the other day and I told someone (Christian) that I would rather my son be muslim than Athiest. The person looked at me as if I were wearing a bomb vest and could not grasp the concept. So we began to personally insult each other and point out the other was using incorrect terms and puncuation................

Ok, I made the last part up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-16-2016, 12:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree. I think ALL religions should be taught. Obviously, not in a proselytizing manner, but in terms of what is taught and practices, etc.

I agree.

Comparative world religions is probably the area where parents are least qualified to teach because of personal bias.    It needs to be taught in school from an unbiased point of view.  Children need to know this information to get a grasp of what is happening in the world today.