Poll: Would You Trade Dalton And A 2016 3rd Rounder For Kaepernick?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Kaepernick Trade For Dalton?
So I was reading how the 49ers could possibly trade Kaepernick with the recent loss of players and new coaching for restructuring. My question is this would you trade Dalton AND a 3rd round draft in 2016 for Kaepernick?

article
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13031499/why-san-francisco-49ers-trade-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-2016-clayton-mailbag

If you look at the stats between these two guys on paper they are very close and don't seem to be much different than one another:

Colin Kaepernick stats
http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/careerstats

Andy Dalton stats
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/careerstats

Thats also where stats on paper don't tell a whole story. Kaepernick has proven he can play in the big dance and Dalton has proven that he can't. So your calling the shots in Cincy and the 49ers approach you with the deal,  We give you Kaepernick and you give us Dalton and a 2016 3rd rounder. Do you take the deal or pass?
Reply/Quote
Nope.

Outside of the top 4 or 5 elite guys in the NFL, there are a handful of others that are clearly better than Andy, a handful that are clearly worse, and then some that can be argued either way if you really get into things statistically. IMO, Kaepernick is one of the guys that's in the same ballpark ranking as Andy. In that case, I'd rather just keep the guy that knows the system and has worked with these receivers and linemen for years already.

I don't know if Colin Kaepernick is even going to be considered a starting worthy QB in 5 years. I have a feeling that Andy will be playing somewhere whether it's in Cincinnati or not. There are a lot of QBs that I'd probably at least think about trading for if given the opportunity, but Kaep isn't one of them.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:26 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Nope.

Outside of the top 4 or 5 elite guys in the NFL, there are a handful of others that are clearly better than Andy, a handful that are clearly worse, and then some that can be argued either way if you really get into things statistically. IMO, Kaepernick is one of the guys that's in the same ballpark ranking as Andy. In that case, I'd rather just keep the guy that knows the system and has worked with these receivers and linemen for years already.

I don't know if Colin Kaepernick is even going to be considered a starting worthy QB in 5 years. I have a feeling that Andy will be playing somewhere whether it's in Cincinnati or not. There are a lot of QBs that I'd probably at least think about trading for if given the opportunity, but Kaep isn't one of them.

The other thing in Dalton's favor is his maturity level. Kaepernick isn't as mature off the field which may not seem like a big deal to some but its a very big deal because as a QB you always have eyes on you on and off the field. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:26 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Nope.

This......

(06-08-2015, 03:36 PM)GodFather Wrote: The other thing in Dalton's favor is his maturity level. Kaepernick isn't as mature off the field which may not seem like a big deal to some but its a very big deal because as a QB you always have eyes on you on and off the field. 

.....and this.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nay.

I wanted Kaepernick in the draft. He was a mobile guy who could throw long and had height. Bulk him up and build his leadership skills and he should be a solid QB. But since then, both players are pretty comparable in terms of results. They don't have the same skill sets or pros/cons, but both bring something the other doesn't.

And I don't put all the blame on Dalton for the playoff losses. He wasn't here in '05, he wasn't here in '09, he didn't abandon the run every playoff game and he wasn't the only guy on the field the last four years.
Reply/Quote
Not sure I'd pull the trigger, but I would at least consider it for one reason: Kaep has had playoff success.

At least then we could figure out whether the problem really is Marvin or not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yeah after seeing 4 straight playoff losses and continued disappointing games I've lost faith in Andy and would be willing to try something different even tho I'm not a Kap fan at all
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
In a heartbeat. Kaep has proven he can carry an offense in the playoffs...he's done it before. Yes he's inconsistent and yes he isn't an elite QB but his upside is way higher than Daltons. We know what we have in Andy, and it's not good enough.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: So I was reading how the 49ers could possibly trade Kaepernick with the recent loss of players and new coaching for restructuring. My question is this would you trade Dalton AND a 3rd round draft in 2016 for Kaepernick?

article
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13031499/why-san-francisco-49ers-trade-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-2016-clayton-mailbag

If you look at the stats between these two guys on paper they are very close and don't seem to be much different than one another:

Colin Kaepernick stats
http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/careerstats

Andy Dalton stats
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/careerstats

Thats also where stats on paper don't tell a whole story. Kaepernick has proven he can play in the big dance and Dalton has proven that he can't. So your calling the shots in Cincy and the 49ers approach you with the deal,  We give you Kaepernick and you give us Dalton and a 2016 3rd rounder. Do you take the deal or pass?
CK really has not proven as much as you like to say he has proven really not even close. I would not trade them straight up let alone adding in the loss of a 3rd draft selection.
Reply/Quote
No. Not because I think Dalton is better than Kaepernick, or something along that line. I wouldn't want the trade because I don't see Marv and Hue adjusting the system to Kaep's strengths. I would see it as them trying to insert a square peg into a round hole.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:55 PM)OSUfan Wrote: CK really has not proven as much as you like to say he has proven really not even close. I would not trade them straight up let alone adding in the loss of a 3rd draft selection.

Not close huh? Funny I see quite a difference when it comes to playing with the big boys at playoff time. 

Kaepernick QBR in playoffs

game 1  91.2
game 2  127.7
game 3  91.7

game 1 75.3
game 2 87.8
game 3 56.4

Andy Dalton QBR in playoffs

2011-51.4

2012 44.7

2013 67

2014 63.4
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 05:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: Not close huh? Funny I see quite a difference when it comes to playing with the big boys at playoff time. 

Kaepernick QBR in playoffs

game 1  91.2
game 2  127.7
game 3  91.7

game 1 75.3
game 2 87.8
game 3 56.4

Andy Dalton QBR in playoffs

2011-51.4

2012 44.7

2013 67

2014 63.4
Dalton's attempt totals...42,30,50,35
Kaep's attempt total..31,21,21,30,28,24

There is a huge difference when comparing these 2 QBs...when things started falling apart and players started leaving Kaepernick could not carry the team on his shoulders...
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure I'd pull the trigger, but I would at least consider it for one reason: Kaep has had playoff success.

At least then we could figure out whether the problem really is Marvin or not.

Good point.

I don't know that Hue would have to really make drastic changes to the offense to fit him.  We already run the read option.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If it wee up to me I refuse to let another QB struggle under Marvin.

Both have to change if one changes.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:47 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: In a heartbeat. Kaep has proven he can carry an offense in the playoffs...he's done it before.  Yes he's inconsistent and yes he isn't an elite QB but his upside is way higher than Daltons. We know what we have in Andy, and it's not good enough.

I'd say a good staff, Frank Gore, and the defense carried CK more than the other way around.....he sure didn't look very good last season, single handedly blowing games, and he blew the NFCCG the year before.....whether you want to admit it or not, it's pretty much a wash.....except Andy doesn't have the character concerns.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 05:07 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: No. Not because I think Dalton is better than Kaepernick, or something along that line. I wouldn't want the trade because I don't see Marv and Hue adjusting the system to Kaep's strengths. I would see it as them trying to insert a square peg into a round hole.

Have they yet adjusted the system to Dalton's strengths?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 06:40 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Have they yet adjusted the system to Dalton's strengths?

which is? LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 06:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: which is? LOL

Obviously a ladies man
Reply/Quote
It would be a splash.

Sure Kaep is more athletic and has a higher ceiling then Dalton, but you'd have to wonder how he'd fit with the team, the bad weather games, and the AFCN (it may be like him vs Seattle).

Besides this still feels like Daltons team. Dalton with all his issues still seems to have the support of the team. Offense and Defense. They cover for him a lot publically, and have for 4 years. Outside of the Hue practice leak, you don't hear players take shots at Dalton. So there's something to that.

I wouldn't do the deal. And I'm definitely not giving up a 3rd. Dalton has the better contract so they should be giving us a pick!

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'd keep Dalton.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote