Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas Supreme Court gives state until June 30 to properly fund public schools
I don't live in Kansas, so meh.

However, if I did, I would have to agree with Lucie, lower the taxes.

I am homeschooling anyway. I don't care about other people's children, they aren't my responsibility.

I do care for my own though, so I know that the best way to make sure they have the best education is to home school.

Not only will my child learn the standard Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. He will also learn 2 other languages, Spanish is mandatory and the other language will be his choice as he gets older, but he must master it.

Also want him learning about economics earlier than they teach in public schools.

When he turns 12 he will be apprenticed out to various job fields. Electrician, mechanic, carpenter, plumber and so on. I will have him do this for 4 hours each day for about 1 year with each.

I have already started a saving account that I put money in every pay check that he will have full access to once he turns 18. If he feels the need or want to go to college then he now has the money to do so. If not then he now has the money to start his own business or businesses and start his life the way I wish I could have started mine at 18.

This to me is a better education than what the government provides.
(02-13-2016, 01:30 AM)Benton Wrote: you're going in two directions. First it's great because teachers could name their price, then it's great because tuition would drop like a rock.

you're like the dick Cheney of education reform LOL

sorry Lucie, but it's a very progressive idea you've got there where people pay less and everyone makes more. That's worse than public school math.

You pay more for the better teachers in a home school atmosphere. The less pay avail in private schools can be made up by working with the home school community.
(02-12-2016, 10:59 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That would be great, but we currently have a thread about people who will not work 6 hours/week to claim welfare.
I doubt they'd get off the couch to make sure their child can get an education.

I think there still needs to be some base of "free" public schooling.

Maybe just eliminate the teachers union, so jobs could be competed for annually ?

Well selfish parenting is why we have bad schools. When parents have no skin in the game at school then it's not a priority. Another reason why I think we should pay for all school. That way there is accountability
(02-13-2016, 01:36 AM)Benton Wrote: I volunteer at my daughter's school. One of the reasons it's one of the top 20 is the state is the parental involvement. There's about one volunteer for every 60 kids at any given time. That said, it's 10 minutes away from two other schools that are lucky to get two volunteers throughout the day for a few hundred kids. Makes a huge difference. But I don't think any more would show up to any of the schools. Some communities seem to work out differently than others. That's why its important to have a floor for everyone.

Well of course you have a sunny view of public school. You ensure your kids are engaged because you show up. As I am sure other parents who attend.

You mention it's important to have a floor.... The parents and family set the floor for their children and it starts in the home. You can't force people to be better parents. Some people are just selfish. Glad to hear you are engaged in school. That's really important and I commend you for making it a priority.
(02-13-2016, 01:52 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: I don't live in Kansas, so meh.

However, if I did, I would have to agree with Lucie, lower the taxes.

I am homeschooling anyway.  I don't care about other people's children, they aren't my responsibility.  

I do care for my own though, so I know that the best way to make sure they have the best education is to home school.

Not only will my child learn the standard Reading, Writing and Arithmetic.  He will also learn 2 other languages, Spanish is mandatory and the other language will be his choice as he gets older, but he must master it.

Also want him learning about economics earlier than they teach in public schools.

When he turns 12 he will be apprenticed out to various job fields.  Electrician, mechanic, carpenter, plumber and so on.  I will have him do this for 4 hours each day for about 1 year with each.  

I have already started a saving account that I put money in every pay check that he will have full access to once he turns 18.  If he feels the need or want to go to college then he now has the money to do so.  If not then he now has the money to start his own business or businesses and start his life the way I wish I could have started mine at 18.

This to me is a better education than what the government provides.

That's awesome. You get it.
(02-13-2016, 02:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's awesome.    You get it.

It is surprising how many people don't get it.

They go on and on about how it is important to educate the youth of our nation.  I agree it is important.  It is also the primary responsibility of the child's parents. 

"Oh but not everyone can afford to teach their own children!" 

So you have people that don't know how to read or write or do basic math having children?  Well every society needs laborers and guess who's child will be perfect for that spot.  

"You think it fair that a child doesn't have a fair chance at an education as the other kids?"

Well considering life's not fair, your argument is already invalid.  However, I believe that even if a parent can't provide even the most basics of an education, that wouldn't necessarily stop a child from getting educated.  There are autodidacts and even if the person isn't an autodidact there isn't anything that will stop them from becoming motivated to seek out teachers to teach them.

So I just don't buy into the "no child left behind" mentality.
(02-12-2016, 12:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Brownback is living the GOP dream!

Soon there will be no Public Schools!

Smirk

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article59751946.html#storylink=cpy

I started the thread saying the conservatives don't like public schools (well any education anyway) and for two pages they have proven me right.  Classic.

[Image: heartland-carlin.png?1398528920]

They want a society of the elite controlling the uneducated for their own personal gain.  Making America great again....indeed.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-13-2016, 11:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: I started the thread saying the conservatives don't like public schools (well any education anyway) and for two pages they have proven me right.  Classic.

They want a society of the elite controlling the uneducated for their own personal gain.  Making America great again....indeed.

Since you went to public school and don't strike me as an autodidact, I will go out on a limb and assume you don't even get the irony of this post.

If you do, please explain how this is ironic.  If not, then please don't be ashamed and say so, I will then educate you.

BTW... I am not a conservative.
(02-13-2016, 11:07 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Since you went to public school and don't strike me as an autodidact, I will go out on a limb and assume you don't even get the irony of this post.

If you do, please explain how this is ironic.  If not, then please don't be ashamed and say so, I will then educate you.

Oh...you think I went to public school.   Mellow

You must have a public school education then.   Smirk
(02-13-2016, 11:08 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oh...you think I went to public school.   Mellow

I was sent to public school.  However being an autodidact I wasn't as damaged while attending.

So again, do you get the irony of your post, public school or not?

Which if you went to a private school, makes your post even more hilarious.
(02-13-2016, 11:07 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Since you went to public school and don't strike me as an autodidact, I will go out on a limb and assume you don't even get the irony of this post.

He was educated by penguins, with large sticks.
Ninja
(02-13-2016, 01:58 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well selfish parenting is why we have bad schools.     When parents have no skin in the game at school then it's not a priority.    Another reason why I think we should pay for all school.   That way there is accountability
no skin in the game is a great catchphrase, but again, it makes no sense talking about education. Neglectful parents have no skin in the game regardless, unless you're going to go to a private pay system and mandate education.which is pretty progressive.
and even then, I doubt you'll get much blood out of a rock. Some parents dont care, making the ones that do get into a bidding war for good teachers is not going to change that. Its just going to run up the coat of education.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-13-2016, 02:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well of course you have a sunny view of public school.   You ensure your kids are engaged because you show up.   As I am sure other parents who attend.    

You mention it's important to have a floor....   The parents and family set the floor for their children and it starts in the home.   You can't force people to be better parents.   Some people are just selfish.    Glad to hear you are engaged in school.   That's really important and I commend you for making it a priority.

agreed, you can't make parents be better people. That's why I'm having a hard time understanding, if you see that, why you're ok with a large segment of people who would grow up with little or no education.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-13-2016, 11:14 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: He was educated by penguins, with large sticks.
Ninja

Maybe he was.  He said that "I went to public schools, if I think he went to public school"

In normal English language that would infer that he didn't go to public schools.

However, I am noticing that some posters on here seem to type something in the English language, but use definitions that don't fit the words.

Of course, I am just a simple public educated person, and maybe I am the one that doesn't understand English.
(02-13-2016, 11:11 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: I was sent to public school.  However being an autodidact I wasn't as damaged while attending.

So again, do you get the irony of your post, public school or not?

Which if you went to a private school, makes your post even more hilarious.

Does that fall under the adage that man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client?

There is no irony.  Well YOU may think there is irony because you think the public school system produces the kind of people you want.  Versus the reality that public education can make this country strong if we take care of it instead of tearing it apart.

But hey, you're "self taught" so you surely know more than all those educators.

Rock On
(02-13-2016, 11:21 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Maybe he was.  He said that "I went to public schools, if I think he went to public school"

In normal English language that would infer that he didn't go to public schools.

However, I am noticing that some posters on here seem to type something in the English language, but use definitions that don't fit the words.

Of course, I am just a simple public educated person, and maybe I am the one that doesn't understand English.

Provide that quote please....

Or didn't you "self teach" yourself how to use the quote function?  Mellow
(02-13-2016, 11:08 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oh...you think I went to public school.   Mellow

(02-13-2016, 11:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: Provide that quote please....

Here is the quote.... it is literally on this same page.  However you asked.
(02-13-2016, 11:21 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Maybe he was.  He said that "I went to public schools, if I think he went to public school"

(02-13-2016, 11:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: Provide that quote please....

(02-13-2016, 11:40 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Here is the quote.... it is literally on this same page.  However you asked.

You don't know what "literally" means.  My quote that you shared was not what you quoted me as saying.

Can you get a refund from your teacher who self-taught you?  Mellow
(02-13-2016, 11:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: I started the thread saying the conservatives don't like public schools (well any education anyway) and for two pages they have proven me right.  Classic.

(02-13-2016, 11:23 AM)GMDino Wrote: Does that fall under the adage that man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client?

There is no irony.  Well YOU may think there is irony because you think the public school system produces the kind of people you want.  Versus the reality that public education can make this country strong if we take care of it instead of tearing it apart.

But hey, you're "self taught" so you surely know more than all those educators.

Rock On

All you had to say is "I don't know, what is the irony".

The irony is that in Carlin's quote he says the "GOVERNMENT doesn't want well educated, well informed people who is capable of critical thinking"

Who is responsible for public education that YOU support?  Yep, the government.

So anyone who is against allowing the government to have control over the education of our people would actually be in support of a well educated and well informed people that would be capable of critical thinking.

Now if you are a private school or home schooled person, then it not only makes your post ironic, but also hypocritical.

This is golden.  I am against public school, but somehow public school produces the kind of people I want.  Is that uneducated, uninformed people that is incapable of critical think?  Cause that is what public schools are producing, and I can assure you that is not what I want.

You're fun.
(02-13-2016, 11:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: You don't know what "literally" means.  My quote that you shared was not what you quoted me as saying.

Can you get a refund from your teacher who self-taught you?  Mellow

I am starting to think that you were taught by penguins.

I paraphrased, if I wanted to quote you exactly I would have used the quote function.

I thought that would be obvious.  The quotation was used to separate your thoughts from mine, again should have been obvious.