Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-24-2018, 09:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: So another (named) accuser, at least one more (unnamed) and more on the horizon.

Obviously they are not proven...they have not even been investigated...but do we continue with the push to nominate?  Or do we step back take some time to look into it and then go ahead if they are shown to be false?  

The accusations being false would only cement Kavanaugh's character as rock solid.

I imagine they'll push ahead. And I'm good with that.

As I've said before, I don't like the Kavanaugh pick. He's too partisan, too pro-business (and will be part of the checks and balances against two branches that are very pro-business) and, we've found out, not very honest. But he'd be a "conservative" justice and the narrative has been that Republicans couldn't really do anything other than lower their own tax rates because they didn't control all three branches.

Well, let them have them. Give them all three. Get it over with so we can see all they're going to do is more croneyism. Then we can move on and get some stuff fixed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-24-2018, 10:10 AM)Benton Wrote: I imagine they'll push ahead. And I'm good with that.

As I've said before, I don't like the Kavanaugh pick. He's too partisan, too pro-business (and will be part of the checks and balances against two branches that are very pro-business) and, we've found out, not very honest. But he'd be a "conservative" justice and the narrative has been that Republicans couldn't really do anything other than lower their own tax rates because they didn't control all three branches.

Well, let them have them. Give them all three. Get it over with so we can see all they're going to do is more croneyism. Then we can move on and get some stuff fixed.

The problem with that is with complete control they can change voting rights.  They can go back to bad districting.  They can do lots of things...and find them constitutional that will keep anyone from getting stuff fixed.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Aren't all of the witnesses for Dr Ford claiming they have no knowledge of what she's talking about?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-24-2018, 11:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Aren't all of the witnesses for Dr Ford claiming they have no knowledge of what she's talking about?

Indeed,

There is no collaboration and little evidence that she talked about it before sending the letter.

But Kavanaugh has calendars from that year to prove he didn't go to a party with underage drinking.   Mellow
(09-24-2018, 11:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: Indeed,

There is no collaboration and little evidence that she talked about it before sending the letter.

But Kavanaugh has calendars from that year to prove he didn't go to a party with underage drinking.   Mellow

Corroboration.
(09-24-2018, 12:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Corroboration.

Thanks.

I was actually meaning to write "collaborating evidence". My spelling is usually so bad when I go back to correct t I screw up something else!

'Preciate it!
(09-24-2018, 10:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: The problem with that is with complete control they can change voting rights.  They can go back to bad districting.  They can do lots of things...and find them constitutional that will keep anyone from getting stuff fixed.

It will get fixed, but only when people are forced to accept some hard truths. Chiefly, that all the people in Washington who genuinely care about the majority of people could all ride in the same Honda Accord without violating seat belt laws. The other people — executive branch and legislative branch both — are there to get paid. 
(09-24-2018, 02:33 PM)Benton Wrote: It will get fixed, but only when people are forced to accept some hard truths. Chiefly, that all the people in Washington who genuinely care about the majority of people could all ride in the same Honda Accord without violating seat belt laws. The other people — executive branch and legislative branch both — are there to get paid. 

People can accept it all they want, but if the scales are tipped too far to one side they can't do much. if anything, about it.
(09-24-2018, 02:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: People can accept it all they want, but if the scales are tipped too far to one side they can't do much. if anything, about it.

I think it's all in the outlook.

I don't think there's much difference in either side. I think they're on one side of the scale; 45 percent of the country is on the other side.

It keeps tipping to the side with two parties, but we're almost bad enough off that the 45 percent should be about ready to speak up and start getting things fixed.
(09-20-2018, 02:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Comrade,  you called me a Russia lover yesterday because I support putting a US Base in Poland. You might be seeing some things that just aren't there.

I've never called anyone a bot tho. I don't throw that around loosely. That actually came from some legit research on the subject and it's not like the poster is trying to hide it. But it's whatever. I believe you guys will see soon.

Either way the fact that only my fellow "Americans" attacked me for it (just the era we live in) says all that needs to be said about this war and how far we are as a Country to understanding what's at stake and the tactics being used to infiltrate social platforms.  

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-24-2018, 09:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: So another (named) accuser, at least one more (unnamed) and more on the horizon.

Obviously they are not proven...they have not even been investigated...but do we continue with the push to nominate? 

Yes. Accusations are just that: accusations. Unless there's actual evidence to back up the claims made, then we shouldn't delay the nomination simply because someone SAID Kavanaugh did something bad.
(09-24-2018, 03:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes. Accusations are just that: accusations. Unless there's actual evidence to back up the claims made, then we shouldn't delay the nomination simply because someone SAID Kavanaugh did something bad.

Four women now.

https://mont.thesentinel.com/2018/09/24/supreme-court-nominee-kavanaugh-faces-more-allegations/

Are we still waiting?

What about if an investigation finds out something after he's confirmed?
(09-24-2018, 03:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes. Accusations are just that: accusations. Unless there's actual evidence to back up the claims made, then we shouldn't delay the nomination simply because someone SAID Kavanaugh did something bad.

I would agree, but Republicans set a pretty low standard when they refused to vote on Garland. Which American voters supported. Now you see Republicans trolling folks by whining Kav's being treated unfairly.

Unless people (not you) think comments like these are legit...

Matt Schlapp‏Verified account @mschlapp 18h18 hours ago

This Kavanaugh confirmation has transformed into a disgrace. How is it when Dems win their SC noms get an easy time, but ours get mauled.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22

Victim testimony is evidence.

Most crimes are not committed in front of a camera yet lots of people get convicted.

Which is why this is largely Feinstein's screw up. If she had come forward early in the process, we'd have plenty of time for a realistic timeline for an investigation and a chance for any other accusers to come forward.
(09-24-2018, 03:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Four women now.

https://mont.thesentinel.com/2018/09/24/supreme-court-nominee-kavanaugh-faces-more-allegations/

Are we still waiting?

Yes, we're still waiting. The original vote date was 4 days ago.

Bring forth articles of impeachment.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-24-2018, 03:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Four women now.

Are we still waiting?

I don't care how many there are. What I care about is the evidence they're presenting. If they have compelling evidence, then, by all means, delay the nomination. But if all we have is their word, then, no, don't delay.

If something ends up being found out AFTER he's confirmed, you deal with it then. What happens if he's NOT confirmed because of these accusations but then it turns out that these women falsely accused Kavanaugh? 

The best course of action is if there's evidence beyond their accusation, you delay the nomination. If it's just their word, you continue as normal unless something else presents itself.
(09-24-2018, 03:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote:
Victim testimony is evidence.

Most crimes are not committed in front of a camera yet lots of people get convicted.

Yes, but people aren't usually convicted based on a single witness statement and no other corroborating evidence. 
(09-24-2018, 04:08 PM)Benton Wrote: Which is why this is largely Feinstein's screw up. If she had come forward early in the process, we'd have plenty of time for a realistic timeline for an investigation and a chance for any other accusers to come forward.

Yep.
(09-24-2018, 04:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't care how many there are. What I care about is the evidence they're presenting. If they have compelling evidence, then, by all means, delay the nomination. But if all we have is their word, then, no, don't delay.

If something ends up being found out AFTER he's confirmed, you deal with it then. What happens if he's NOT confirmed because of these accusations but then it turns out that these women falsely accused Kavanaugh? 

The best course of action is if there's evidence beyond their accusation, you delay the nomination. If it's just their word, you continue as normal unless something else presents itself.

I agree with you on this.  I am concerned, though, that the only way to get evidence beyond victim testimony is to get the FBI involved. McConnell and Trump don't seem to want that.