Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
Lets be honest. There is no one on the right or left who gives a shit about those victims or about what Kavanagh and his family is going through. All they care about is how are the voters going to vote and staying in power. If nothing else all these phony politicians are being exposed, on both sides. What a sad state of affairs.
(09-28-2018, 12:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Quick question...is calling them DemoCRAPS and RePOOPlicans going too far, too?  Asking for a friend who is probably me and also functionally friendless. 

All members deserve to not be called names or have insults hurled at them when opinions are being exchanged. Please review the Code of Conduct in its entirety. If you have any further questions or comments regarding the content of the CoC, please contact any staff member via private message for clarification. Public discussion in any forum on staff actions is not allowed. We sincerely appreciate all members who abide by the rules here, and look forward to the continuance of such. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(09-27-2018, 10:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not saying it should convince anyone one way or another, but Kavanuagh's reaction is precisely that of an innocent man.  If you're being slandered and demeaned in front of the whole world then a very natural response is to be angry at being attacked.  

I think his behavior is acceptable in this scenario because he is a man. I have to wonder what the responses would have been if Ford had yelled, cried, and defiantly shot back questions to Senators about their morality. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-28-2018, 08:22 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think his behavior is acceptable in this scenario because he is a man. I have to wonder what the responses would have been if Ford had yelled, cried, and defiantly shot back questions to Senators about their morality. 

Since Ford wasn't the one being accused and having their life destroyed in real time I'd say the judgment would be different.  If a woman was in the exact same situation as Kavanaugh and responded the same way I'd be saying the exact same thing about her as I did about Kavanaugh.
(09-28-2018, 09:05 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Since Ford wasn't the one being accused and having their life destroyed in real time I'd say the judgment would be different.  If a woman was in the exact same situation as Kavanaugh and responded the same way I'd be saying the exact same thing about her as I did about Kavanaugh.

She wasn't being accused? I've seen plenty of accusations against her, saying she is a Democratic ploy. Any attempt to lay blame for this at the feet of the Democrats in the Senate is accusing Ford of being a liar and making defamatory claims for political purposes.

She isn't having her life destroyed? She hasn't had to move because of death threats? She hasn't required security because of this? She hasn't been put through emotionally traumatic events as a result?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-28-2018, 09:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: She wasn't being accused? I've seen plenty of accusations against her, saying she is a Democratic ploy. Any attempt to lay blame for this at the feet of the Democrats in the Senate is accusing Ford of being a liar and making defamatory claims for political purposes.

She isn't having her life destroyed? She hasn't had to move because of death threats? She hasn't required security because of this? She hasn't been put through emotionally traumatic events as a result?

Well sure but he's a man accused of something Matt.  That takes precedence over everything else.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
At the very least, Kav proved to be a partisan hack (blaming Clinton! Under oath! He wouldn't risk penalty of Perjury to the FBI. Which we know is the real reason he refused to call for them to investigate). What Supreme court nominee gets into Politics so openly and carelessly, and a man who has had issues with alcohol from a very early age (my high school year book isn't full of drinking games, and drunken beach weeks). Where was his parents? How did he get so much alcohol? These are questions Ford who had to identify houses would have faced. Either way all of which makes him unfit for the highest Court in the land. Republicans hoped Ford wouldn't testify so they can look like they were interested in getting to the bottom of it. Well. After she was questioned relentlessly from a prosecutor. That same prosecutor got 2 questions off to Kav, and the Republicans stepped in to end the hearing, and turned it into politics. Something Ford didn't get the benefit of.

So they never intended on Kav having to testify or answer real questions. Why didn't he get asked if he even knew Ford? They banked on Ford not showing up and tried to call her bluff. When it didn't work, they attempted to save Kav by ending the prosecutors questioning and attacking Dems with conspiracy theories etc. Shameful.

Also, a tweet I agree with.
Ezra Klein‏Verified account @ezraklein · 14m14 minutes ago
What I can't get over, thinking back on yesterday, is the Republicans never discredited Ford's testimony. They never even said they didn't believe it. They just decided to ignore her and everything she said the moment Kavanaugh began talking.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-28-2018, 09:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: She wasn't being accused? I've seen plenty of accusations against her, saying she is a Democratic ploy. Any attempt to lay blame for this at the feet of the Democrats in the Senate is accusing Ford of being a liar and making defamatory claims for political purposes.

Please contrast the treatment Ford received yesterday to that of Kavanaugh.  Yes, Ford is absolutely enduring a major disruption to her life.  At the end of the day she will able to to continue on with her life as it was.  It may take some time, but it will happen for her.  It's quite possible that her life will improve considering she lives in a heavily liberal area and will likely be lauded for her courage long after the threats from the unstable subside.  Also, and is this is critically important, she chose to come forward knowing this would happen.  Having a choice makes a huge difference.  Kavanaugh, if he is innocent of all of this, has had his entire life's work destroyed in the eyes of many.  He is eternally tainted.  If he is innocent then his reaction yesterday was entirely appropriate.
(09-28-2018, 09:24 AM)jj22 Wrote: At the very least, Kav proved to be a partisan hack (blaming Clinton! Under oath! What Supreme court nominee gets into Politics so openly and carelessly), and a man who has had issues with alcohol from a very early age (my high school year book isn't full of drinking games, and drunken beach weeks). Where was his parents? How did he get so much alcohol? These are questions Ford who had to identify houses would have faced. Either way all of which makes him unfit for the highest Court in the land. Republicans hoped Ford wouldn't testify so they can look like they were interested in getting to the bottom of it. Well. After she was questioned relentlessly from a prosecutor. That same prosecutor got 2 questions off to Kav, and the Republicans stepped in to end the hearing, and turned it into politics. Something Ford didn't get the benefit of.

So they never intended on Kav having to testify or answer real questions. Why didn't he get asked if he even knew Ford? They banked on Ford not showing up and tried to call her bluff. When it didn't work, they attempted to save Kav by ending the prosecutors questioning and attacking Dems with conspiracy theories etc. Shameful.

Also, a tweet I agree with.
Ezra Klein‏Verified account @ezraklein · 14m14 minutes ago  
What I can't get over, thinking back on yesterday, is the Republicans never discredited Ford's testimony. They never even said they didn't believe it. They just decided to ignore her and everything she said the moment Kavanaugh began talking.

So Ezra is asking why they treated her kindly and with respect?  How do you discredit her testimony?  There's no date, time, place.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-28-2018, 09:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well sure but he's a man accused of something Matt.  That takes precedence over everything else.   Ninja

Virtue signaling, go!
(09-28-2018, 09:27 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Please contrast the treatment Ford received yesterday to that of Kavanaugh.  Yes, Ford is absolutely enduring a major disruption to her life.  At the end of the day she will able to to continue on with her life as it was.  It may take some time, but it will happen for her.  It's quite possible that her life will improve considering she lives in a heavily liberal area and will likely be lauded for her courage long after the threats from the unstable subside.  Also, and is this is critically important, she chose to come forward knowing this would happen.  Having a choice makes a huge difference.  Kavanaugh, if he is innocent of all of this, has had his entire life's work destroyed in the eyes of many.  He is eternally tainted.  If he is innocent then his reaction yesterday was entirely appropriate.

Should we provide a list of men who have been accused, dragged through the mud and then were able to "continue on with their life as it was"?

Quote:Also, and is this is critically important, she chose to come forward knowing this would happen.  Having a choice makes a huge difference.

EXACTLY!

She is bringing all of this on herself...and the good folks on the right (and even a fellow liberal like yourself) is saying she did it only to stop him from getting on the SC.  Because....uh....TRUMP!
NPR had a writer for "The Daily Beast" on this morning who said something I totally agree with:

Kavanaugh wasn't trying to convince the American public of anything...he was making sure the members voting for him and Donald Trump liked how he responded.  They are the only people who matter so that he can get the position he wants.
(09-28-2018, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Should we provide a list of men who have been accused, dragged through the mud and then were able to "continue on with their life as it was"?

Please doe.  Kavanaugh's name won't be on that list thus making the list irrelevant to the point being made.

Quote:EXACTLY!

She is bringing all of this on herself...and the good folks on the right (and even a fellow liberal like yourself) is saying she did it only to stop him from getting on the SC.  Because....uh....TRUMP!

If missing the point was an Olympic sport you'd get at least the bronze (you have some stiff competition from your buddies here).  Perhaps you lack the intellectual capacity to process the point being made?  Or, you're just imitating your buddy Fred.  Mayhap all three or an interesting mixture thereof?
(09-28-2018, 09:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: NPR had a writer for "The Daily Beast" on this morning who said something I totally agree with:

Kavanaugh wasn't trying to convince the American public of anything...he was making sure the members voting for him and Donald Trump liked how he responded.  They are the only people who matter so that he can get the position he wants.

Probably.  A lot, maybe most, have made up their mind.  I don't think any evidence exists that can exonerate him or "convict" him, so people who have decided will remain so.  

If he did do it, I think today would be a perfect day to back out.  "I know I said I would fight, but this is just too much.  I am content being a federal judge and co-starring in Superstore."
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-28-2018, 09:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Probably.  A lot, maybe most, have made up their mind.  I don't think any evidence exists that can exonerate him or "convict" him, so people who have decided will remain so.  

If he did do it, I think today would be a perfect day to back out.  "I know I said I would fight, but this is just too much.  I am content being a federal judge and co-starring in Superstore."

Given that performance I don't think he would back out even with evidence.  He WANTS this...and no one will take it away from him.  

Not even the Clintons!  Ninja
(09-28-2018, 09:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So Ezra is asking why they treated her kindly and with respect?  How do you discredit her testimony?  There's no date, time, place.  

They could have poked holes in her testimony after it was over (in between testimony's), Fox News didn't even do it. Even today, no one is discrediting her testimony. Sure they may have wanted to be respectful during the hearing if that's your excuse, but as of 9am this morning no Republican still has anything to say to discredit her.

(09-28-2018, 09:27 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Please contrast the treatment Ford received yesterday to that of Kavanaugh.  Yes, Ford is absolutely enduring a major disruption to her life.  At the end of the day she will able to to continue on with her life as it was.  It may take some time, but it will happen for her.  It's quite possible that her life will improve considering she lives in a heavily liberal area and will likely be lauded for her courage long after the threats from the unstable subside.  Also, and is this is critically important, she chose to come forward knowing this would happen.  Having a choice makes a huge difference.  Kavanaugh, if he is innocent of all of this, has had his entire life's work destroyed in the eyes of many.  He is eternally tainted.  If he is innocent then his reaction yesterday was entirely appropriate.

The likewise is also true.

It's plausible Ford will be blackballed and continue to receive death threats from the alt right (the ones calling to enactthe second and killing those they think aid in keeping abortion. Going). Meanwhile, kav lands a cushy political gig (again ) and continues with his pretty perfect life bankrolled by Republicans needing legal help.
Further proof Kav lied under oath, and further clarifies why Ford if she would have lied would have faced perjury, while Kav under Republican Committee would(did) not. Kav blatantly lied and will face no consequences. But again, the FBI would be feared and get the truth out of him (as well as the witnesses who the Republicans refused to have testify) without the protection of a Republican Committee.

http://time.com/5409564/brett-kavanaugh-drinking-age-maryland/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_twitter

After sleeping on this testimony,

Kavanaugh came across to me as someone with too much righteous indignation and too much anger along with too much dismissiveness.

Ford came across with too much frailty and too much naïveté(spell check worked with this on).

They both needed to pull back a little and to me, this is all just a game being played on the American people.

Kavanaugh will be confirmed and Ford will be a hero.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(09-28-2018, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: They could have poked holes in her testimony after it was over (in between testimony's), Fox News didn't even do it. Even today, no one is discrediting her testimony. Sure they may have wanted to be respectful during the hearing if that's your excuse, but as of 9am this morning no Republican still has anything to say to discredit her.

Pick holes how?  She doesn't give any details except what happened in a room.  She doesn't know what house. She doesn't know the date.  There's nothing to pin her down on.