Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Zampese is the OC
(01-15-2016, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Congrats Zampese.... 13 years as QB coach it was time for promotion and dalton did improve under him every year...  *2014 depending on what stat you look at but we all know the real reasons for stuggles there.

Now who will be the next QB coach....

Probably somebody young from college.

My completely random guess... Mike Bobo. Why? Because. Bobo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have no idea about him as a coach, I have never spoken to him or had the luxury to watch him conduct practices. I hope our fans give him the benefit of the doubt, I saw Hue and jay get bashed and both are very good football minds. I know we all think we have all of the answers and it is easy to be a Monday Morning QB. I hope he pushes our offense over the top in 2016 and beyond.

I find it a bit odd that in 12 years of being a QB coach he was never lured away to be an OC.  And 2e had an opportunity to promote him both in 2010 and 2014.  Yet we passed him over. Why?

I'm guessing this hire was based more on the idea that this franchise is run like a Mom and Pop hardware store than them actually reviewing all the potential candidates, and determining that Ken Zampese has the most potential for success.
Reply/Quote
Good hire IMO. Been around for awhile, already has his hands on the offense.

I dont see much drop off between him and Hue.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Swell.....one of the Merry Band of Tenured Bums. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Message board status quo:

Step 1. We message board warriors sit around and imagine the cream of the NFL coaches lining up to be the OC of this ultra-talented offense
Step 2. The Bengals "take their time" thus making it clear we are gunning for a coach currently deep in the playoffs
Step 3. Bengals hire in-house guy no one wanted as OC
Step 4. Start convincing ourselves continuity is way more important than plugging in some high-profile coach from a team deep in the playoffs
Reply/Quote
Hopefully this means we keep most things the same. Dalton really impressed me with his command of the offense this year. Here's hoping he continues to turn into a Peyton Manning type when it comes to reading defenses and adjusting the plays.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I find it a bit odd that in 12 years of being a QB coach he was never lured away to be an OC.  And I mean, if he was so great, we had an opportunity to promote both in 2010 and 2014.  Yet we passed him over.

I'm guessing this hire was based more on the idea that this franchise is run like a Mom and Pop hardware store than them actually reviewing all the potential candidates, and determining that Ken Zampese has the most potential for success.

I think he was hired because he has been around the organization for awhile, knows the offense, is familiar with Dalton, and has had success as a quarterback coach for the Bengals. What's wrong with continuity and staying with what has made you successful? 

It was unrealistic, and in my opinion stupid, for this organization to go out and hire someone not familiar with the offense and to have to bring them up to speed. 

Its one thing if we were in the bottom half of offense in the league, but we were in the top 10. Why mess with it? 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I find it a bit odd that in 12 years of being a QB coach he was never lured away to be an OC.  And 2e had an opportunity to promote him both in 2010 and 2014.  Yet we passed him over.  Why?  

Passed over for Hue in 2014?  That seems like a no-brainer.

I'm guessing that with all of the struggles as well as a young QB in 2010 that they wanted a guy that had some coaching experience in Gruden.

The mom and pop hardware store is a questionable comment.  It may be mom and pop, but look at the results.  How many teams have made the playoffs 5 straight years?  How many assistants have been promoted to HC in other places?  Seems like the mom and pop store is becoming a model franchise.
Reply/Quote
First off your "big name" hire ended up being the new LB coach (Haslett) I like getting guys who were head coaches before. I think that experience helps your staff and gives you a coach who understands how everything works together

I like the OC hire simply because it gives Andy a comfort level without having to learn a new offense. QB is the most important position so stability there outweighs everything else.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Congrats Zampese.... 13 years as QB coach it was time for promotion and dalton did improve under him every year...  *2014 depending on what stat you look at but we all know the real reasons for stuggles there.

Now who will be the next QB coach....

So what stat are you looking at for 2014? 

He threw the least amount of yards of his career. He threw less TD's than any other year of his career.  He threw the 2nd most interceptions of his career.  His YPA decreased since the previous year.  His QB rating was not only worse than the year prior, it was worse than year 2 as well.

Now if you want to make a bunch of excuses for that then so be it.  But I'm not sure why you would just blatantly make up a stat.  What do you mean "depending on what stat you look it"?  Specifically, show me what stat you're using.

You can't say he improved under him in every year.  Not with any actual numbers.  And improvement is generally a given when it comes to young starting QB's.  I'd venture to guess that you could say the same thing about 75% of them. (That they improved from year 1 to 2, year 2 to 3.)
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I hate this team so, so much.

What are the chances every single coach hired that has ties to this team is also the best hire?  Is is just coincidence that out of ALL the potential DB coaches Kevin Coyle is the very best, and Paul Gunther is the very best, and Ken Zampese is the very best, etc.  The list goes on and on and on.  

And that's not to say any of these guys individually aren't great hires.  But when it just so happens that almost every single hire has ties to this team it leads to me believe that in no way, shape or form is this team doing their due diligence.

Look at the Hue Jackson rumors, regarding Marvin stepping down. (assuming they're true, which I tend to believe)  After 13 years of one man in charge, and an opportunity to create something better, that will improve and/or build on what's in place, it just so happens that the man needed to do that is already in house?  Look at the rumors now that Hue's gone and Gunther being a possible successor.

Need a DE, pursue Michael Johnson at your only primary free agent target.  Just so happen to need a backup QB, grab the starter's brother.  Need DT depth?  Go back to the Pat Simms well. Keep resigning guys like Brandon Tate over and over, because it's a professional relationship based on familiarity.

It's a lazy, stubborn approach based more on loyalty and familiarity than actual (potential) results.  There is simply no way that this team does their due diligence when hiring coaches.  There is no possible way that, after exploring any and all options, it just so happens that the guy is always already here, has been here, or is connected to someone here.  No ***** way.

And **** Ken Zampese anyways.  This hire sucks nuts.  Guy was a QB coach for 12 ***** years and was never given a whiff at OC elsewhere.  Huge downgrade from Hue.

So based on your logic, we should have never hired Hue back after he left for the Raiders. OK. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:13 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I like the OC hire simply because it gives Andy a comfort level without having to learn a new offense.

Are we sure Zampese is installing the same playbook? 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So based on your logic, we should have never hired Hue back after he left for the Raiders. OK.
Where the hell did I say that?  I even specifically said that no one single hire wasn't great.  I'm pointing out that this is more than coincidence that almost every single hire has ties here.

I've never understood why you go out of your way to argue with me, which you do  Either you simply can't actually read what's written or you go out of your way to ***** bicker.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The mom and pop hardware store is a questionable comment.  It may be mom and pop, but look at the results.  How many teams have made the playoffs 5 straight years?  How many assistants have been promoted to HC in other places?  Seems like the mom and pop store is becoming a model franchise.

Ok, I'm glad it isn't the 90s anymore, but this team had better win something someday because bragging about our "dynasty" of one-n-dones and watching our coaches get better jobs elsewhere is wearing thin.

Most NFL fans:  Dude, my team hath won da Sooper Bole!
Bengals fan:  Dude, Huge Jassman is da HC o' the Browns!
Most NFL fans:  WOoowwwww super jealous!!!!!  Such good move Bengals!!!!
Bengals fan: It are! Also, Bengals make playoff loss 5 times!!!!!!
Most NFL fans: FIVE?!!! GASP, it are DYNASTY!!!
Reply/Quote
Like the move key will be does this guy believe in running the football. My only concern at this point.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:11 PM)WeezyBeng Wrote: What's wrong with continuity and staying with what has made you successful? 

Successful in extending the playoff drought to 25 years?  Successful for never being part of an offense that that has scored more than 17 points in a playoff game?  Successful in producing ZERO points for the first 47 minutes of the Pittsburgh game?  Successful in being a part of every one of Marvin's staffs, that collectively feature a NFL record 0-7 playoff record.

Define success.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where the hell did I say that?  I even specifically said that no one single hire wasn't great.  I'm pointing out that this is more than coincidence that almost every single hire has tires here.

I've never understood why you go out of your way to argue with me.  Either you can't read what's written or you go out of your way to ***** bicker.

You just committed 1000 words bitching about how this organization sucks because they continue to hire Bengals retreads. That would include Hue Jackson and Michael Johnson. Gunther was promoted from within. All of those guys have been excellent pickups/promotions in my opinion. Many fans never wanted MJ to leave in the first place. 

Frankly, I dont think you even know what the hell you are talking about. You just like to *****. Patt Simms was added for defensive line depth and is a solid player. He was a former Bengal and knows the system. Tate has been around forever. Big freaking deal. 

Jay Gruden was an outside hire. Mike Zimmer was an outside hire. Both were successful. So they actually do sometimes look outside the organization for hires. 

Every team in the NFL promotes from within and signs/re signs guys they are familiar with. The Bengals have done an excellent job with this over the years. 

If Zampese ends up sucking as an OC, fine. ***** away. But until then, I think its pretty fair to give this organization the benefit of the doubt until otherwise. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I hate this team so, so much.

What are the chances every single coach hired that has ties to this team is also the best hire?  Is is just coincidence that out of ALL the potential DB coaches Kevin Coyle is the very best, and Paul Gunther is the very best, and Ken Zampese is the very best, etc.  The list goes on and on and on.  

And that's not to say any of these guys individually aren't great hires.  But when it just so happens that almost every single hire has ties to this team it leads to me believe that in no way, shape or form is this team doing their due diligence.

Look at the Hue Jackson rumors, regarding Marvin stepping down. (assuming they're true, which I tend to believe)  After 13 years of one man in charge, and an opportunity to create something better, that will improve and/or build on what's in place, it just so happens that the man needed to do that is already in house?  Look at the rumors now that Hue's gone and Gunther being a possible successor.

Need a DE, pursue Michael Johnson at your only primary free agent target.  Just so happen to need a backup QB, grab the starter's brother.  Need DT depth?  Go back to the Pat Simms well. Keep resigning guys like Brandon Tate over and over, because it's a professional relationship based on familiarity.

It's a lazy, stubborn approach based more on loyalty and familiarity than actual (potential) results.  There is simply no way that this team does their due diligence when hiring coaches.  There is no possible way that, after exploring any and all options, it just so happens that the guy is always already here, has been here, or is connected to someone here.  No ***** way.

And **** Ken Zampese anyways.  This hire sucks nuts.  Guy was a QB coach for 12 ***** years and was never given a whiff at OC elsewhere.  Huge downgrade from Hue.

I don't get the hate, as far as coaches go. We've had three coordinators go on to HC jobs in the last few years. The first half of Marvin's tenure here was in letting go of Brown's guys who — mostly — stunk. Since then we've had a good run of coaches.

I'm a bigger Marvin basher than most, but the man has good coordinators.

And Zampese was in the mix for at least four other OC jobs in the last five or six years. So the last graf is a little off.
Reply/Quote
This just seems that the keys to the offense is all Andy now.  Ken was passed over a couple times for better options before.  Curious how this will work out but I have faith.
Reply/Quote
They should get Ken Anderson to come out of retirement to be QB coach.
Reply/Quote