Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Zampese is the OC
Boring, but why not. Give him a chance. Still...screw Hue for leaving.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thats three head coaches that have come from underneath Marvin now.. I think its safe to say he does an ok job picking up assistants and coordinators. Dont be shocked if Zampese starts getting looks at Head Coaching jobs a couple seasons down the line.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 07:20 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Thats three head coaches that have come from underneath Marvin now.. I think its safe to say he does an ok job picking up assistants and coordinators. Dont be shocked if Zampese starts getting looks at Head Coaching jobs a couple seasons down the line.

I would be very shocked if that happened.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Knew it

Reply/Quote
tumblr_ml7qhotGNh1qha6vko1_500.jpg (431×300)
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I like the "promote from within" mentality the Bengals have. The continuity makes sense and Ken Zampese already knows the playbook. If you think about it, Ken has coached Jon Kitna, Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bruce Gradkowski, Andy Dalton, and AJ McCarron. Okay, let's throw Jordan Palmer, Craig Krenzel, and Keith Wenning in there just for poops and giggles. I think that's a nice body of work.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 10:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Honestly, I like the "promote from within" mentality the Bengals have.  The continuity makes sense and Ken Zampese already knows the playbook.  If you think about it, Ken has coached Jon Kitna, Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bruce Gradkowski, Andy Dalton, and AJ McCarron.  Okay, let's throw Jordan Palmer, Craig Krenzel, and Keith Wenning in there just for poops and giggles.  I think that's a nice body of work.

Meh, so in 14 years (?) he coached 9 QBs, only two which were legit long-term starters, with 0 playoff wins amongst them?  Is this a good resume for a long-tenured QB coach?  I honestly don't know.  And maybe Palmer is an asterisk because he was a #1 overall pick that was good for what...2 years before being resurrected by Bruce Arians.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 03:18 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Meh not too happy about it. There's probably a reason nobody has sniffed around Zampese as a OC since 06 when the Lions interviewed him.

It took Zimmer a good while to get the HC job. Zamp's been the QB coach awhile now and had a pretty good resume doing it.

First game Bengals lose there will be the faction wanting his head, but I give him a year or so to get his groove and we'll see from there. They might take a step back, might take steps forward. We'll see.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 11:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, so in 14 years (?) he coached 9 QBs, only two which were legit long-term starters, with 0 playoff wins amongst them?  Is this a good resume for a long-tenured QB coach?  I honestly don't know.  And maybe Palmer is an asterisk because he was a #1 overall pick that was good for what...2 years before being resurrected by Bruce Arians.

Starting franchise QBs don't exactly grow on bushes along the river by the stadium, but they do go to die in Cleveland.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 11:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, so in 14 years (?) he coached 9 QBs, only two which were legit long-term starters, with 0 playoff wins amongst them?  Is this a good resume for a long-tenured QB coach?  I honestly don't know.  And maybe Palmer is an asterisk because he was a #1 overall pick that was good for what...2 years before being resurrected by Bruce Arians.

4 of those 9 have had significant starter snaps. Take whatever shot you want at zampese but he has been a good Qb coach. And who knows where we can put AJM on that list.

You may not like marvin, mike brown, or their decisions. But maybe we should hold off and see how Zampese does before we crush him under angst for marvin and mike.

I like CP as much as you do... But I do have a problem with him walking out on his team. Good for him with Arizona.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 11:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 4 of those 9 have had significant starter snaps.    Take whatever shot you want at zampese but he has been a good Qb coach.    And who knows where we can put AJM on that list.    

You may not like marvin, mike brown, or their decisions.   But maybe we should hold off and see how Zampese does before we crush him under angst for marvin and mike.    

I like CP as much as you do... But I do have a problem with him walking out on his team.   Good for him with Arizona.

I'm not even taking a shot at Zampese, I'm just saying that rattling off his QB resume might not be quite the "CHECK MATE!" sort of argument ender you think.  Also, I've discussed why Palmer left and frankly, Marvin Lewis is a crappy coach who doesn't keep his word and sells out his most powerful ally for his own sake.  Yes, good for Palmer in AZ, indeed.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully, no more cutesy sh^t

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:05 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Hopefully, no more cutesy sh^t

Dalton had a passer rating of 106.2 and we had the 7th ranked offense despite our star RB turning to crap on us.  If that is what "cuteness" gets us, then I want to hire the softest downy chick to be our OC.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully he does a good job. He has big shoes to fill!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Good Luck Zamp!

Good news is he's studied under some good ones with a variety of styles. And he has a solid crew to work with
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 11:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not even taking a shot at Zampese, I'm just saying that rattling off his QB resume might not be quite the "CHECK MATE!" sort of argument ender you think.  Also, I've discussed why Palmer left and frankly, Marvin Lewis is a crappy coach who doesn't keep his word and sells out his most powerful ally for his own sake.  Yes, good for Palmer in AZ, indeed.

Is it better to be a quitter and pretend you are standing on some sort of "principle"..... Or better that when you hit a wall you find another way to get where you are going. You can say marvin is a crappy coach but he found a way over the wall without resorting to quitting.

It's easy to say you will quit to leverage what you want but quite another when you are personally responsible for a lot of families livelihoods in the building. CP had his 70 million. He wasn't risking anything. Marvin was responsible for all coaches, staff, and their families. I'm sure they appreciated his ability to find another way.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is it better to be a quitter and pretend you are standing on some sort of "principle".....   Or better that when you hit a wall you find another way to get where you are going.    You can say marvin is a crappy coach but he found a way over the wall without resorting to quitting.    

It's easy to say you will quit to leverage what you want but quite another when you are personally responsible for a lot of families livelihoods in the building.     CP had his 70 million.   He wasn't risking anything.    Marvin was responsible for all coaches, staff, and their families.     I'm sure they appreciated his ability to find another way.

You're right.  Carson didn't risk as much as Marvin Lewis because Carson Palmer had interest from other teams to be their starting QB while Marvin Lewis realized quickly that his only hope of keeping his job title was to stay under Mike Brown's skirt.  I'm not telling you to respect Carson Palmer, I'm telling you to realize Marvin Lewis' loyalty to the Bengals only went as far as his resume could carry him after the 2010 season...and that wasn't anywhere else as a HC.

Marvin and Carson agreed to storm the hill together, but Marvin decided to surrender as soon as Carson started what was to be the mutual charge.  Nuts to that.  I'll be buried a Bengals fan, but Marvin Lewis is anything but a selfless hero in my mind.

Anywho, what it really comes down to is Mike Brown.  Andy Dalton is the 3rd legit franchise QB Mike Brown has had, and if Andy leaves the Bengals on good terms, he will be the first to do so.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton had a passer rating of 106.2 and we had the 7th ranked offense despite our star RB turning to crap on us.  If that is what "cuteness" gets us, then I want to hire the softest downy chick to be our OC.

Maybe your wish came true

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:57 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Maybe your wish came true

Zampese is going to install a cuter offense than Hue?  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Message board status quo:

Step 1.  We message board warriors sit around and imagine the cream of the NFL coaches lining up to be the OC of this ultra-talented offense
Step 2.  The Bengals "take their time" thus making it clear we are gunning for a coach currently deep in the playoffs
Step 3.  Bengals hire in-house guy no one wanted as OC
Step 4.  Start convincing ourselves continuity is way more important than plugging in some high-profile coach from a team deep in the playoffs

1.  The cream of NFL coaches are getting jobs as head coaches, not making lateral moves to OC.  That first point makes no sense.

2.  They hardly took their time.

3.  Pure speculation on your part.

4.  Give me an example of a "high profile" coach that would be a good fit for OC that is still in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote