Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Zampese is the OC
(01-16-2016, 03:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Somewhere between hating Marvin Lewis with a passion and praising him for saving us all from the 90s is probably a happy medium.

Fair enough.

None of us can change anything except the team we cheer for .... None of us are changing that so we either can live in negativity rooted in the past or judge the team year to year individually.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zimmer and Gruden.

Next.

Vance Joseph, too...

It's a bit of a silly argument he's making, anyway. You don't want an in house guy, fine. But extend your ire to anyone any of these guys on staff have ever worked with?!? That's a big net...

Why the Heck wouldn't you prefer someone you've worked with and know? I'd trust someone I've watched get the job done quicker than someone I've only met in an interview room.
Reply/Quote
BTW even though I have defended Zampese as a QB coach I am not going to say he wil be a great OC. I am going to wait and see what happens before I make any judgement.
Reply/Quote
Me opinion on Zampese is this.. I think he'll be good for some continuity with Andy Dalton, my only concern is his play calling and the ability to get the right game plan for defenses.

I prefer keeping it in house rather than hiring some coordinator who just got fired from a job.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Like the fact that Hue gave Andy free rein at line of scrimmage to audible into any play he wanted this year and Dalton seemed to flourish under this system.

A out of house new coordinator may change this but believe Zampese will follow same structured system.

Do not like though having a division in state rival with a head coach that knows so much about how Bengals offense runs though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: The only thing that bugs me with the Zampese hiring is if he ends up being the greatest OC of ten gererations he'll be gone in a minimum of two years..if he's the worse oc he'll be here longer..

^TRUTH^
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: The only thing that bugs me with the Zampese hiring is if he ends up being the greatest OC of ten gererations he'll be gone in a minimum of two years..if he's the worse oc he'll be here longer..

Ha, I love that you followed up a "quit yer bellyachin'" post with this one. 

(01-16-2016, 12:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Fair enough.    

None of us can change anything except the team we cheer for ....  None of us are changing that so we either can live in negativity rooted in the past or judge the team year to year individually.

You make sense, but I also realize I'm a bit of a different breed.  Embracing negativity is somewhat cathartic for me.  I watched the Bengals/Steelers game with Steeler fan friends and I wore my 1990 AFC Central Champions shirt to show I was in tune with the silver anniversary of our last playoff win.
Reply/Quote
Um, they haven't won a playoff game in 25 years.  Not only was their loss not a "fluke" it was expected. Some may even argue a given.

If you had a car that has broken down 25 days in a row, every time when you get it past 50, is it a fluke when you're calling the tow truck from the side of the highway on day 26?

Fluke?  What planet are you living on?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Um, they haven't won a playoff game in 25 years.  Not only was their loss not a "fluke" it was expected. Some may even argue a given.

If you had a car that has broken down 25 days in a row, every time when you get it past 50, is it a fluke when you're calling the tow truck from the side of the highway on day 26?

Fluke?  What planet are you living on?

I think it's more like Mike Brown seems to be the guy who can't keep a car on the road no matter which car he buys.  Don't we all know that one guy who is always complaining about his car breaking down?  You know he hain't changing the oil and he accelerates every 20 feet to the stop sign in town, and so on.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Fair enough.    

None of us can change anything except the team we cheer for ....  None of us are changing that so we either can live in negativity rooted in the past or judge the team year to year individually.

What you deem negativity others consider reality.  The least you can is allow others to have their own opinions.  There is no right way to be a fan.  And there is certainly isnt only two basic approaches to evaluating success either.

If you think this year was a success, good for you.  If you're perfectly happy with recent results, good for you.  If youre confident heading into next year, good for.  I dont, and I'm not.  

There's nothing inheritly negative about someone's personlity or thought process simply because they hold a negative opinion about a particular topic.  
Reply/Quote
He will have to face these problems that Hue was complaining about......THe O line and the RB's just could not run out the clock in any game.  THey were just awful at holding on to a lead by running out the clock....So the O Line has problems. Gio and Hill were not the wrecking crew we thought they would be. ...I know we drafted O tackles in 2015. ...I would not stop trying to improve the talent at O line or RB.  We put much focus on that in just about every draft in the 1980's and the result was 2 Super Bowl trips.

If we never run those formations of tackles lined up at WR as Hue did, fine by me.  I never saw those formations create a big play.  ...So we had 3 years of Gruden and 2 years of Hue.....I hope Zampese does even better.  GO BENGALS !!!......Our Blocking Against Play-Off type teams Needs Major Improvement. We don't gain running yards and we don't open passing lanes. .....Zampese must start with the problem of our blocking, or lack of blocking against good teams. Whitworth is getting older and I don't look for team to keep Smith big contract much longer.  Hopeully the tackles drafted in 2015 are good. The days of Whitworth and Smith as our bookend tackles are about over. All things must change in time. The O line will be a huge challenge for Zampese, and the fact that we can never run out the clock in a game, we just can't pound the rock as past Super Bowl teams like Patriots or Steelers or Raiders could. It is nice to be able to hang on to a lead by running out the clock, and the D can't do a thing about it. Until we can do that, we will be losers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ha, I love that you followed up a "quit yer bellyachin'" post with this one. 

You make sense, but I also realize I'm a bit of a different breed.  Embracing negativity is somewhat cathartic for me.  I watched the Bengals/Steelers game with Steeler fan friends and I wore my 1990 AFC Central Champions shirt to show I was in tune with the silver anniversary of our last playoff win.

Haha yeah you are a different breed. Probably why I enjoy discussing things with you back and forth on most issues. I respect you desire to be negative lol. I am jealous of your 1990 shirt btw.

I'm just not a negative person. I rarely get negative on most things. And when I do get negative I usually get out of it quickly. Just the way I'm wired lol
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Haha yeah you are a different breed.   Probably why I enjoy discussing things with you back and forth on most issues.    I respect you desire to be negative lol.    I am jealous of your 1990 shirt btw.  

I'm just not a negative person.  I rarely get negative on most things.   And when I do get negative I usually get out of it quickly.   Just the way I'm wired lol

[Image: 10577025_10101779813286890_1226719028342...e=570AC9C1]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:56 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What you deem negativity others consider reality.  The least you can is allow others to have their own opinions.  There is no right way to be a fan.  And there is certainly isnt only two basic approaches to evaluating success either.

If you think this year was a success, good for you.  If you're perfectly happy with recent results, good for you.  If youre confident heading into next year, good for.  I dont, and I'm not.  

There's nothing inheritly negative about someone's personlity or thought process simply because they hold a negative opinion about a particular topic.  

Being negative .... Or "keeping it real" as some will say. Is fine. But railing on negative time and time is just pointless. It doesn't move anything forward..... It stagnates every discussion and wastes everyone's time.

But hey you are keeping it real so everyone else should be screwed who wants to move forward in the discussion.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: 10577025_10101779813286890_1226719028342...e=570AC9C1]

Haha that's awesome

Loved this style shirts. The way the helmet looked.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:41 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Being negative .... Or "keeping it real" as some will say.    Is fine.    But railing on negative time and time is just pointless.    It doesn't move anything forward..... It stagnates every discussion and wastes everyone's time.  

But hey you are keeping it real so everyone else should be screwed who wants to move forward in the discussion.

I could keep this argument going and say there is something very negatively optimistic about praising 5-strait one-n-dones; it's admitting that we can't hold ourselves to a level of success other teams would.  So really, it is optimism based upon a foundation of pessimistically admitted we don't expect to do better.

Cosmic, man.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Haha that's awesome

Loved this style shirts.  The way the helmet looked.

Love the shirt, hate the fact that it's still relevant.  It reminds me of being a kid and getting Billy Joel's 1993 album the day it came out (after piano lessons, no less), listening to it, and enjoying it BUT not enjoying it as much as I should have knowing in hindsight 23 year later there would still be no follow-up.

Anywho, I'm way off topic here.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:56 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What you deem negativity others consider reality.  The least you can is allow others to have their own opinions.  There is no right way to be a fan.  And there is certainly isnt only two basic approaches to evaluating success either.

Ir's pretty hard to judge a guy's ability to do a job without ever seeing him do it.  Condemning the choice at this point is just jumping to a conclusion based on nothing.

Seems to me you're ignoring a lot of great things that happened this year by out of hand dismissing it as a failure.

For one thing, the more the information comes out, the more it looks like the Bengals got absolutely jobbed out of that elusive playoff win.

But even ignoring that and sticking strictly to the reality of it, there's no ignoring the good things that came out of that night.  First and foremost, they stood toe to toe with those brawling, cheating assholes in black and piss and never once blinked.   That is a new development.

They made a 4th quarter comeback and had the lead near the end of a playoff game.  That's a new development.

And these developments are huge, way too huge to ignore.

The train is moving ahead.  Maybe it hasn't gotten all the way over the hill yet  and God knows, it's not moving at a fast enough pace for any of us but we are on the on the doorstep and when last year started, we weren't even in the yard yet, maybe not even on the street.

It's easy to look at just the big picture, but doing that is missing the truly important details.

Yes, we have that past staring us in the face and lots of people all over the world to keep it always fresh in our minds.  But to constantly focus on that robs one of the ability or inclination to recognize the legitimate reasons for optimism that are just as right in front of us as the negatives are right behind us.

Wishing for something that hasn't happened and probably won't gets you nowhere.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:41 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Being negative .... Or "keeping it real" as some will say.    Is fine.    But railing on negative time and time is just pointless.    It doesn't move anything forward..... It stagnates every discussion and wastes everyone's time.  

By whose definition of "moving forward"?  And if we're talking about a particular topic (ie What you think of the new OC) then what exactly is there to move forward from?

See, just because you don't agree with another's take doesn't make it "a waste of time".  No more than you defending asomething I disagree with.  I'm not sure any one side stagnates a discussion any more than another either.

If I don't like something I should be able to voice that just easily as the idea that I don't like Mistubishi's because I had a poor experience with one when I was younger.  Saying I disagree with an approach of the Bengals should be treated as valid or invalid as my opinion that a certain Chinese restaurant is better than another.  In real life people often share negative opinions without being met with accusations of being overly negative, or being told they're stagnating a debate about cars, or food, or beer, or whatever.

You don't get to decide how a conversation needs to go to move forward.  If you disagree with something that is said, counter it.  Or ignore it.  Or start another thread.  But this garbage about telling others how they should be a fan, pscho-analyzing someone's personality based on their opinion of a sports team, and trying to dictate what everyone needs to talk about is bogus.  And it would never happen outside this messed up world that is this message board.

Next time your buddy, who is a huge Van Halen fan, tells you that he didn't like anything after 1984 try telling him that he is wasting your time, that he is stagnating the conversation you two are having about music, and that he's choosing to have a negative outlook. 
See what type of response you get.  Try doing the same thing with your co-worker that loves talking cars and is a huge Chevy fan, that doesn't like the body style of the new Camaro.  See if he doesn't look at you like you're the asshole.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:52 PM)McC Wrote: They made a 4th quarter comeback and had the lead near the end of a playoff game.  That's a new development.

Man, that is taking baby steps to a whole new level.

I've seen teams go from having a losing record to making the Superbowl in 1-2 years.  But we're to consider "almost winning" as new development?  After 13 years?  After 25 years?

In my mind there was no development. Same finish as the last 5 years.  Got bounced in the Wild Card round.  If the goal is to win championships then they have progressed no further than where they were in each of those year.  It's like climbing a ladder and falling off the same rung. 
Reply/Quote