Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Zampese is the OC
(01-16-2016, 12:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: You're right.  Carson didn't risk as much as Marvin Lewis because Carson Palmer had interest from other teams to be their starting QB while Marvin Lewis realized quickly that his only hope of keeping his job title was to stay under Mike Brown's skirt.  I'm not telling you to respect Carson Palmer, I'm telling you to realize Marvin Lewis' loyalty to the Bengals only went as far as his resume could carry him after the 2010 season...and that wasn't anywhere else as a HC.

Marvin and Carson agreed to storm the hill together, but Marvin decided to surrender as soon as Carson started what was to be the mutual charge.  Nuts to that.  I'll be buried a Bengals fan, but Marvin Lewis is anything but a selfless hero in my mind.

Anywho, what it really comes down to is Mike Brown.  Andy Dalton is the 3rd legit franchise QB Mike Brown has had, and if Andy leaves the Bengals on good terms, he will be the first.

You want me to realize that in 2010 marvin didn't go all the way with CP? Who cares. It's 2016 and marvin turned around the ship. Just think how much faster that could have been had CP joined up.

Andy won't be leaving anytime soon. Why would he leave when all he has done is win. The only people who give him a hard time are the fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You want me to realize that in 2010 marvin didn't go all the way with CP?   Who cares.   It's 2016 and marvin turned around the ship.    Just think how much faster that could have been had CP joined up.  

Andy won't be leaving anytime soon.  Why would he leave when all he has done is win.    The only people who give him a hard time are the fans.

Marvin turned around the ship.  Ha.  Marvin Lewis, the only HC who can have 2 legit QBs for 13 years and fail to win anything of significance.  My lord, I WISH we could see what Marv the Magnificent could have done with any of the schlub QBs between Boomer and Carson. Well I guess he got an 8-8 season out of Kitna, so maybe we should have traded Palmer then. 

And if Andy Dalton leaves the Bengals on a good note I'm going to wager it's because he outlasted Marvin and Mike.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Successful in extending the playoff drought to 25 years?  Successful for never being part of an offense that that has scored more than 17 points in a playoff game?  Successful in producing ZERO points for the first 47 minutes of the Pittsburgh game?  Successful in being a part of every one of Marvin's staffs, that collectively feature a NFL record 0-7 playoff record.

Define success.

Why so depressed,  it most be hard to root for a 5 years in a row playoff team that has been recognized as a sound organization.
Reply/Quote
ITT: Marvin sucks. Zampese sucks. Everything is awful.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Why so depressed,  it most be hard to root for a 5 years in a row playoff team that has been recognized as a sound organization.

Only the Bengals have found a way to turn "made the playoffs 5 years in a row" into something that causes more pain than playoff wins.

EDIT: Meh, don't mind me. I just happen to live in a town where everyone is a Steelers/Packers fan and I'm really getting sick of of it.
Reply/Quote
I understand the frustration of going to the playoffs 5 years in a row and losing, but honestly it beats the hell out of the alternative.  People tend to forget about the lost decade of the 90s.  Plus, I happened to marry into a family of Cleveland fans, and man do I not envy them in the least.  At least I can expect to be happy about 10-12 of the games during the regular season.  The torment Cleveland/SF/Detroit/(fill in the blank) fans have to experience 3 out of 4 Sundays in the Fall is something I want to leave back in the 90s.

I am still tore up over the loss this year, because there's no doubt this was their best chance to go to the Super Bowl, but there's no reason they can't repeat the success next year.  I truly believe Dalton is going to continue his rise.  Even if your OC was the best to ever have the position, Dalton was still the guy out there manning the line and making the throws.  The ability to avoid sacks, avoid turnovers by throwing the ball away, and simply make better decisions is something that can be taught by anyone, but that doesn't mean it can be learned by anyone.  Dalton showed he is in the upper echelon of QBs in this league.  Who knows how Zampese will be at calling plays, but I trust Dalton at the line to make changes as necessary to get the best opportunity to get the first down.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:56 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: People tend to forget about the lost decade of the 90s.

No one around here has forgotten the 90s.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: No one around here has forgotten the 90s.

Maybe so, but that should pull people off the ledge that the "ship is sinking."  No one wants to settle for 5 straight one-and-done in the playoffs, but honestly everyone must admit not winning this year was a complete fluke.  If Dalton doesn't get hurt, chances are they beat Denver and they have a first round bye.  If Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble the ball away, we are in the second round.  If the refs don't screw up half a dozen calls in the playoff game, we are in the second round.  This team had a great regular season.  Their only losses were to playoff teams, and 3 of the 4 were within 4 points, the other obviously a game in which our starting QB went down early.  This was a great team that had a great season, and whose season ended prematurely because of a series of unfortunate events.  If they keep putting seasons like this together, the postseason success will come.
Reply/Quote
Think this hire was for Dalton's sake.

Switching Coordinators every couple years is tough on QB's.

But this should be a easy transition.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Congrats Zampese.... 13 years as QB coach it was time for promotion and dalton did improve under him every year...  *2014 depending on what stat you look at but we all know the real reasons for stuggles there.

Now who will be the next QB coach....

Ken Anderson?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin turned around the ship.  Ha.  Marvin Lewis, the only HC who can have 2 legit QBs for 13 years and fail to win anything of significance.  My lord, I WISH we could see what Marv the Magnificent could have done with any of the schlub QBs between Boomer and Carson. Well I guess he got an 8-8 season out of Kitna, so maybe we should have traded Palmer then. 

And if Andy Dalton leaves the Bengals on a good note I'm going to wager it's because he outlasted Marvin and Mike.

Come on man. Take a break from all the hate. it's not like your contempt for either of them has all of sudden caused the team to be sold or new coach hired. Unless you just like to complain via a message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:41 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Come on man.   Take a break from all the hate.  it's not like your contempt for either of them has all of sudden caused the team to be sold or new coach hired.      Unless you just like to complain via a message board.

Somewhere between hating Marvin Lewis with a passion and praising him for saving us all from the 90s is probably a happy medium.
Reply/Quote
Marvin's horrible, Andy's horrible, the whole team is horrible and sunshine in the springtime is horrible and you might as well toss in getting laid as being horrible.. Man, some of you would ***** if they hung you with a new rope. Football season for us is over for awhile so do yourselves a favor and go outside and go for a walk and enjoy the misery of the long cold winter...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The only thing that bugs me with the Zampese hiring is if he ends up being the greatest OC of ten gererations he'll be gone in a minimum of two years..if he's the worse oc he'll be here longer..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
All of the coaching changes will make for an interesting off season..

The fluff pieces, overhype, etc

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:43 AM)jeremydc Wrote: All of the coaching changes will make for an interesting off season..

The fluff pieces, overhype, etc

That's pretty much all football is, hype and fluff. It's not as if our lives depend upon the success or failure of any team. Like it or not it's entertainment nothing more, nothing less. If Andy becomes league MVP it's nice and all, but it isn't going to affect how the pentagon goes about bombing the crap out of countries or how congress votes on the budget.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:55 AM)grampahol Wrote: That's pretty much all football is, hype and fluff. It's not as if our lives depend upon the success or failure of any team. Like it or not it's entertainment nothing more, nothing less. If Andy becomes league MVP it's nice and all, but it isn't going to affect how the pentagon goes about bombing the crap out of countries or how congress votes on the budget.

Agreed. But the amount of emotion invested (evident by some posts) you could have fooled me regarding dependence on this team.

Reply/Quote
I'm just saying, story lines will be a lot more 'entertaining'

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's a lazy, stubborn approach based more on loyalty and familiarity than actual (potential) results.  There is simply no way that this team does their due diligence when hiring coaches.  There is no possible way that, after exploring any and all options, it just so happens that the guy is always already here, has been here, or is connected to someone here.  No ***** way.

Zimmer and Gruden.

Next.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:33 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't get the hate, as far as coaches go. We've had three coordinators go on to HC jobs in the last few years.

Then you just don't understand how he thinks.

All he does is ***** and whine about whatever the Bengals do.  He was squealing like a baby about what a joke it was when we went outside the box and hired Gruden.  

We have had great success hring good coordinators and both Zimmer and Gruden came fro m outside the team.  But when we promote zampeses it is suddenly "impossible" that the bengals ever look anywhere for coaches.
Reply/Quote