Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids Protest thier own Graduation
(05-22-2017, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only "awesome" if you are in favor of womens suffrage, the civil rights act, and equal protection under the law for all citizens.

All of which were strongly opposed by conservatives.

It's 2017.
(05-22-2017, 02:11 PM)GMDino Wrote:   But I have no problem with them leaving as they are adults.  

The ones that stayed were the adults.
Out of nearly 2100 students to receive their degrees, between 75-100 of them elected to walk out. Bad form.. Clearly the minority of the day, not many chose to follow their lead.

Though it was entirely within their rights, I find it a selfish act to make a spectacle of a prestigious ceremony for the rest of the class.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-22-2017, 04:21 PM)Vlad Wrote: The ones that stayed were the adults.

(05-22-2017, 04:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Out of nearly 2100 students to receive their degrees, between 75-100 of them elected to walk out.  Bad form..  Clearly the minority of the day, not many chose to follow their lead.

Though it was entirely within their rights, I find it a selfish act to make a spectacle of a prestigious ceremony for the rest of the class.

Those are two WONDERFUL opinions.

I'm sure both of you would have done differently.

Ain't America great?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-22-2017, 04:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Those are two WONDERFUL opinions.

I'm sure both of you would have done differently.

Ain't America great?

Look, I sat through some bozo from some Federal finance dept. talking about the importance of paying back out student loans, at my graduation.  Did I just want to jet?  You betcha.  Was I going to deprive my parents of seeing me walk across the stage?  Hell no.

Besides, the OP asked for our views.  I gave mine.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-22-2017, 04:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Look, I sat through some bozo from some Federal finance dept. talking about the importance of paying back out student loans, at my graduation.  Did I just want to jet?  You betcha.  Was I going to deprive my parents of seeing me walk across the stage?  Hell no.

Besides, the OP asked for our views.  I gave mine.

And I said it was a wonderful opinion.

Do you want a pat on the back too?   Cool
(05-22-2017, 05:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: And I said it was a wonderful opinion.

Do you want a pat on the back too?   Cool

Gee, thanks.  You really didn't have to go to all that trouble.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-22-2017, 04:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: AAAHHHH, the old "We switched sides" fallacy. And that has zero to do with your saying every political party thinking they were right.

The Republican party was on the side of freeing slaves and the CRA. Pretty sure the Democratic President that signed the CRA did it begrudgingly. But it makes folks sound more awesome if they can say Well, if I'd been alive back then; I'd be on the other side because they were more awesome.

My family has been involved in local politics for over 100 years and they've always been Democrat; there was no "switch". It just reads good.
Lol, the old "switched topics" ploy, made famous by Ann Coulter and Dinesh D'souza. I start talking about liberals and conservatives. You start talking about Republicans and Democrats "back then," as if there were some eternal correspondence between parties and party ideals, as if each party has always been wholly liberal or conservative.

To maintain that correspondence you have to say liberals supported segregation and conservatives fought to end it. I don't think even you will go that far, but if you do I have the history ready for you.

Maybe you better explain what you think the "switched sides fallacy" is. I think it is only a "fallacy" in the bubble, and I think it refers to the post-1965 US, when Republicans began courting the segregation vote, the first major step in creating the reactionary, conservative populist Republican party of today--a long ways from the party of progressives like Lincoln and T Roosevelt. For the last decade conservatives have been working overtime to prove what happened didn't. They have convinced a lot of other conservatives.

A generation of historians, sociologists and political scientists will be so alarmed to hear that ONE Democrat FAMILY never changed sides.

PS Also are you saying there is a political party somewhere which believes its policies and ideals aren't the right ones, the ones which should prevail in law and the courts? If not, then what are you on about?
(05-22-2017, 04:19 PM)Vlad Wrote: fredtoast Wrote: [url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Kids-Protest-thier-own-Graduation?pid=388204#pid388204][/url]Only "awesome" if you are in favor of womens suffrage, the civil rights act, and equal protection under the law for all citizens.

All of which were strongly opposed by conservatives.

It's 2017.

Good point. So what are conservatives opposing today that they will be standing up for tomorrow?
(05-22-2017, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-model-society

Quote: Wrote:Ross: I think the other thing that was fascinating to me … there was not a single hint of a protestor anywhere there during the whole time we were there, not one guy with a bad placard, instead …

Quote: Wrote:Host: But Secretary Ross, that may be but not necessarily because they don’t have those feelings there but because they control people and don’t allow them to to come and express their feelings quite the same as we do here.

Ross: In theory that could be true. But boy there was certainly no sign of it, there was not a single effort at any incursion. There wasn’t anything. The mood was a genuinely good mood. And at the end of the trip, as I was getting back on the plane the security guards from the Saudi side who’d been helping us over the weekend all wanted to pose for a big photo-op. And then they gave me two gigantic bushels of dates, as a present, as a thank you for the trip that we had had. That was a pretty from the heart, very genuine gesture. It really touched me.

Ha ha "in theory" the protests are controlled but IN FACT there were none.  Hilarious Hilarious

Excellent points. I came away from this thinking Saudi Arabia must be a much nicer place to live. Everyone gets along.
(05-22-2017, 06:19 PM)Dill Wrote: Lol, the old "switched topics" ploy, made famous by Ann Coulter and Dinesh D'souza. I start talking about liberals and conservatives. You start talking about Republicans and Democrats "back then," as if there were some eternal correspondence between parties and party ideals, as if each party has always been wholly liberal or conservative.

To maintain that correspondence you have to say liberals supported segregation and conservatives fought to end it.  I don't think even you will go that far, but if you do I have the history ready for you.

Maybe you better explain what you think the "switched sides fallacy" is. I think it is only a "fallacy" in the bubble, and I think it refers to the post-1965 US, when Republicans began courting the segregation vote, the first major step in creating the reactionary, conservative  populist Republican party of today--a long ways from the party of progressives like Lincoln and T Roosevelt. For the last decade conservatives have been working overtime to prove what happened didn't. They have convinced a lot of other conservatives.

A generation of historians, sociologists and political scientists will be so alarmed to hear that ONE Democrat FAMILY never changed sides.

PS Also are you saying there is a political party somewhere which believes its policies and ideals aren't the right ones, the ones which should prevail in law and the courts? If not, then what are you on about?

No one switched topics. You just need to go back and read your entire post that I was replying too. Not just the arbitrary liberals moniker that you wish to assign to folks in the past because that is what you consider yourself today and want to associated yourself with the awesome folks of the past.

Save your history speech for someone who may buy it and believes Goldwater actually got a lot of support.  

I can imagine a couple decades in the future, when an enlightened society condemns us for killing our unborn. Some Democrat will say. Hey we were awesome back then too. We switched after that.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Its a shame Erdogan's boys weren't out there to assault these yuppies as they exercised their first amendment right.
(05-22-2017, 08:08 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its a shame Erdogan's boys weren't out there to assault these yuppies as they exercised their first amendment right.

Actually these "yuppies" were protesting the first Amendment.

(05-22-2017, 08:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually these "yuppies" were protesting the first Amendment.

That is a fun way to look at it. 

Lets take that up a notch. People that don't like Trump are protesting America. And anybody that doesn't like the enormous loads of shit cascading from his mouth should be arrested and labeled traitors. 

Sessions needs to start building these jails. ASAP

OMG!!! Light bulb!!

When we build the wall we can make it one giant jail. Just cell on top of cell.
(05-22-2017, 08:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That is a fun way to look at it. 

Lets take that up a notch. People that don't like Trump are protesting America. And anybody that doesn't like the enormous loads of shit cascading from his mouth should be arrested and labeled traitors. 

OMG!!! Light bulb!!

Welp, if fun way means the correct way then yeah.

As to the rest: Just more of the same from a jaded source.

(05-22-2017, 08:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Welp, if fun way means the correct way then yeah.

As to the rest: Just more of the same from a jaded source.

So if ISIS is having a rally on your street corner and you go down there and hold a sign opposing them. You are protesting free speech?
(05-22-2017, 08:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So if ISIS is having a rally on your street corner and you go down there and hold a sign opposing them. You are protesting free speech?

Yes

(05-22-2017, 08:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That is a fun way to look at it. 

OMG!!! Light bulb!!

He still doesn't understand what "free speech" means.  Seems anyone who doesn't want to listen to one of his boys is "violating" the first amendment.   Smirk
(05-22-2017, 06:41 PM)Dill Wrote: Good point. So what are conservatives opposing today that they will be standing up for tomorrow?

Oh I don't know Dill...perhaps they'll finally become rational and support men who desire to use the little girls room because they think they are a woman.

Or maybe the white conservative of the future will finally admit that he is an oppressor of black people.

You know, shit like that.
What a wealth of knowledge on this thread!

I never knew liberal college kids were responsible for the Civil Right Acts, a womans right to vote, etc.