Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Knee Jerks Reactions
(08-20-2017, 01:24 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I understand that it's preseason.
I understand that they're not game-planning for these games like they do in the regular season.
I understand that they are playing vanilla schemes.

What I don't understand is why, year after year, these defensive players continue to launch themselves at the ball-carrier at full speed like they are ***** torpedoes instead of wrapping their guy up.  

If there is anything that gets my blood boiling more than anything else, it's poor tackling and over-pursuit.  And it was on full display last night.  I genuinely, emphatically do not understand how this team can be so bad at something so ***** basic year after year.  The coaches should be having aneurysms over this.  Instead, it's always the same listless response.  "We gotta do a better job."  No shit.  Maybe actually ***** do it this year.

/knee jerk

They probably need to get it out of their system, which is why we don't see it often in the regular season.

(08-20-2017, 01:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Truck, Truck, Truck! My Canadian brother. We are in a bad place right now after that display last night. It wasn't just sloppy play or kids learning the system. It was horrendous display of shit in most aspects. Even the basic fundamentals were not present. It was embarrassing, humiliating and resembled talent you would see on a pee-wee football team. The only thing lacking was our players picking their noses and eating boogers. 

I understand what you mean, Mike, but in reality, it doesn't mean anything at this point.

If its week 3 and they're paying like this, then I believe a panic wouldn't be out of place.

But its PS; I'd be happy if the players skipped it all together (but they need the game action, I know).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Truck, Truck, Truck! My Canadian brother. We are in a bad place right now after that display last night. It wasn't just sloppy play or kids learning the system. It was horrendous display of shit in most aspects. Even the basic fundamentals were not present. It was embarrassing, humiliating and resembled talent you would see on a pee-wee football team. The only thing lacking was our players picking their noses and eating boogers.

Same thing happened in the Tampa Bay game in '15. 

The Bengals started that season 8-0. 

TB game didn't matter.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think this would be easier to tolerate if we didn't lose the 2 best players from a below average offensive line last year. This game has shown that our line IS as bad as people thought it would be.

The defense will likely turn things around. The veterans do not care about preseason most likely.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:58 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: After preseason game 1, people jumped on the playoff bandwagon. After preseason game 2, people quickly jumped off it. The season has its ups and downs. The Bengals will not win every game probably. Personally, I'm glad we got our asses kicked last night as now practices will be much better. I'm hoping for a good year, but still think 6-10 is our record because of the Oline.

Well, if the good we saw the first week is meaningless cuz it's just the preseason, how come the bad means everything?  Which is it?

At least no one is panicking.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:16 PM)McC Wrote: Well, if the good we saw the first week is meaningless cuz it's just the preseason, how come the bad means everything?  Which is it?

I think we won't know until the regular season. :-)
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Boy....that shit show of "clock management" at the end of the first half was PATHETIC. My God....call the T.O. with 13 seconds on the clock, you then have a shot at the end zone, and if incomplete, you still have time for the FG. FFS Mediocre Marv..

As for the team....I thought the o line showed a tad more improvement again...the defense not so much.

That seemed stupid by both the coaches and the players.  If I was on the field, I would have called the TO as soon as the play was blown dead.  In fact, the only reason I can think of as to why they didn't was that they were instructed not to.

The only real explanation I could offer is that they have a tight K battle and wanted to give one of them an opportunity to kick a FG at the end of the half.
Reply/Quote
Mine is when I kick the dr in the nuts accidententally after the reflex test
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:16 PM)McC Wrote: Well, if the good we saw the first week is meaningless cuz it's just the preseason, how come the bad means everything?  Which is it?

But the injuries are real. PS or not.
Reply/Quote
Actually last season debunked the whole "preseason means nothing" meme. The team exhibited the EXACT same issues in regular season play that it did in preseason. We saw major OL issues in preseason and the same issues were evident in regular season. Ditto lack of speed on both sides of the ball and ditto poor angles and tackling on defense.

They are supposed to be pros - it should not take professionals half of the regular season to get to where they are supposed to be before snap one of the season (this is directed at the "defense"). Nor should players clearly not cutting it (like Og) be left in starting for multiple games before the coaches act. Or possibly the most embarrassing episode when they FINALLY pulled Bodine for TJ - all of a sudden the line looked 100% better - then of course they put Bodine back in and the follies return.

So, in brief, we have every reason to expect that what we see in preseason is what we'll see in regular season because....we've had it happen before.
Reply/Quote
The scores and the record doesn't bother me so much in preseason. It does matter to an extent though. Players will win jobs and position battles by their performance, so it's not totally worthless.

I think we all had concerns about the OLine heading into the preseason and I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far. I'm not in panic mode, but I think the team's approach to the OLine has been piss poor. Of our 2 new tackles, I had more hope for Fisher than Ced until last night. They could both end up being bad and that could set the team back considerably. Especially with their free agency approach and the fact they have proven that the OLine coach has a job for life. Literally, for life. When Alexander the Great does pass on, I could see Brown still retaining him because it'll cost him nothing.

I completely agree that time to get worried and hit the panic button will be if they continue to play like this in the regular season. So far, it's not looking good though.
Reply/Quote
As I stated last week. We can't cover esp the middle of the field.

Offense is kind of predictable. Have to mellow down because of line? Short fast passes which dalton telegraphs. When we tried a 5 step drop defense was there Chasing the quarterback.

Long year ahead of us. I really hope I am wrong. But let's keep everything consistent and not change anything. I don't want to relive the 90's. At least NFL football.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and that falls squarely on ML, but also on AJ. There was no way to get 2 or 3 plays without calling the time out.

Absolutely....I just didn't understand that one. Someone needs to clean that up before we hit the main stage. As I said though....I thought the o line took another step forward last night, so that was a positive. It was more baby steps...but they were positive steps IMO.  I saw 70 pancake a dude on a pulling play. I saw a little aggression out of him here and there. I liked that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: That seemed stupid by both the coaches and the players.  If I was on the field, I would have called the TO as soon as the play was blown dead.  In fact, the only reason I can think of as to why they didn't was that they were instructed not to.

The only real explanation I could offer is that they have a tight K battle and wanted to give one of them an opportunity to kick a FG at the end of the half.

Could be right about that....but man, 13 seconds on the clock when Boyd hit the turf. That was a bad display if not.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: That seemed stupid by both the coaches and the players.  If I was on the field, I would have called the TO as soon as the play was blown dead.  In fact, the only reason I can think of as to why they didn't was that they were instructed not to.

There's any number of reasons this happened other than the popular "Marvin is stupid" narrative:

Marvin said no timeout because he wanted to see if AJM could get the team lined up and spike the ball in a pinch

Marvin turned the entire 2 minute drill over to AJM and the young QB got caught up it the moment. Once AJM failed to call the TO; Marvin called it and took the opportunity to mentor his young QB.

These are just a couple, but those that have already formed an opinion based on their bias will roll with what they want to be right. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 07:36 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: I don't want to relive the 90's. At least NFL football.

It may have actually began last year.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 09:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's any number of reasons this happened other than the popular "Marvin is stupid" narrative:

Marvin said no timeout because he wanted to see if AJM could get the team lined up and spike the ball in a pinch

Marvin turned the entire 2 minute drill over to AJM and the young QB got caught up it the moment. Once AJM failed to call the TO; Marvin called it and took the opportunity to mentor his young QB.

These are just a couple, but those that have already formed an opinion based on their bias will roll with what they want to be right. 

Someone now needs to teach Marvin in time management. How many games have we come to enc of game or half and have no Time outs left because we used them in the 1 or 3 quarter. That's ok its use it or loose it. So we use them asap so we don't loose them
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why folks are upset about what they are seeing in preseason. All folks say they want to see is no injuries and we have been very fortunate; only suffering one.

I agree 100%....
many "fair weather" fans are jumping off the bandwagon after the first loss in the preseason....

SMH.....   Cry

I wonder what Forrest Gregg would have to say about this....?
Smack
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:22 PM)Steve Wrote: I agree 100%....
many "fair weather" fans are jumping off the bandwagon after the first loss in the preseason....

SMH.....   Cry

I wonder what Forrest Gregg would have to say about this....?
Smack

Can a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years have fairweather fans still?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Same thing happened in the Tampa Bay game in '15. 

The Bengals started that season 8-0. 

TB game didn't matter.

I was trying to look that up because I couldnt remember if that game was last year, or in 15. But ppl were losing their minds after that preseason debacle. And all the Bengals did was come out of the gate 8-0. Preseason games dont matter....as long as you fix the problems by the time the season rolls around. What I am more worried about is that safety seems to be the position group getting hit by injuries this preseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:58 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: After preseason game 1, people jumped on the playoff bandwagon. After preseason game 2, people quickly jumped off it. The season has its ups and downs. The Bengals will not win every game probably. Personally, I'm glad we got our asses kicked last night as now practices will be much better. I'm hoping for a good year, but still think 6-10 is our record because of the Oline.

I don't think we're going to have a bad year at all. But, I agree with your point. The preseason is not a good way to gauge how well this team is going to do in the regular season. 
Reply/Quote