Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Knee Jerks Reactions
(08-20-2017, 11:03 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The only dilemma from last night is who is going to be our kicker. Bullock or Elliot? I like both, but I think we should stick with the veteran for now.

If Elliott continues to hit FGs in games, as well as touchbacks on kickoffs, he is our kicker.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Elliott continues to hit FGs in games, as well as touchbacks on kickoffs, he is our kicker.  

Yup, and if we're really breaking it down, Elliot has been good right down the middle but probably a tad short. Bullock has been way closer than I like, believe he's hit the up-rights twice. 

Give me the rookie kicker who needs a little more leg strength any day of the week. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:08 AM)rezolve11 Wrote: I don't think we're going to have a bad year at all. But, I agree with your point. The preseason is not a good way to gauge how well this team is going to do in the regular season. 

Yep, because coaches are still figuring out the players roles. For instance, MJ should and probably will lose his job to Smith or Willis. Erickson has still proven he's probably worth a roster spot. Andre will probably lose his spot to Hopkins. So forth and so on. 

Once they have their roles down and they're not executing, then I will be worried.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 10:06 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yep, because coaches are still figuring out the players roles. For instance, MJ should and probably will lose his job to Smith or Willis. Erickson has still proven he's probably worth a roster spot. Andre will probably lose his spot to Hopkins. So forth and so on. 

Once they have their roles down and they're not executing, then I will be worried.

Andre has lost his spot and is now considered a back up Tackle, according to Hobson
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:58 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: After preseason game 1, people jumped on the playoff bandwagon. After preseason game 2, people quickly jumped off it. The season has its ups and downs. The Bengals will not win every game probably. Personally, I'm glad we got our asses kicked last night as now practices will be much better. I'm hoping for a good year, but still think 6-10 is our record because of the Oline.

idk why the 3rd string QB whos likely not gonna make the final roster scoring a bunch in preseason game 1 had people hyped up.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:59 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yup, and if we're really breaking it down, Elliot has been good right down the middle but probably a tad short. Bullock has been way closer than I like, believe he's hit the up-rights twice. 

Give me the rookie kicker who needs a little more leg strength any day of the week. 

Elliott had a kickoff the other day that almost went through the uprights and his one FG looked like it would have been good from 55 yards.
Reply/Quote
Since we don't really know what the coaches are trying to look at or who they're trying to look at doing what, or what they may be trying to accomplish, how do any of us know what we should be seeing?

Maybe they're trying to identify all the shit that won't work. If so, they're flat out killing it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
8 and 8 with Blake. Bring back the good old days when we though that was a good record :andy:
Reply/Quote
Whoever was on the playoff bandwagon after PS game 1, must have missed the 1st quarter defense.

More like a turnip truck.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:59 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yup, and if we're really breaking it down, Elliot has been good right down the middle but probably a tad short. Bullock has been way closer than I like, believe he's hit the up-rights twice. 

Elliott has plenty of leg strength. More than Bullock.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
[Image: 1324316240_cat_jumps_off_balcony_ledge.gif]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Elliott continues to hit FGs in games, as well as touchbacks on kickoffs, he is our kicker.  

That is who i want to win. Great from long distance and kickoffs. Just has to be more consistent from medium range. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 04:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Elliott had a kickoff the other day that almost went through the uprights and his one FG looked like it would have been good from 55 yards.

The 45 yard FG in week one went through the top of the upright with good velocity stinging the net. 

We were thinking it could have been good from 65 yards even. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 09:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's any number of reasons this happened other than the popular "Marvin is stupid" narrative:

Marvin said no timeout because he wanted to see if AJM could get the team lined up and spike the ball in a pinch

Marvin turned the entire 2 minute drill over to AJM and the young QB got caught up it the moment. Once AJM failed to call the TO; Marvin called it and took the opportunity to mentor his young QB.

These are just a couple, but those that have already formed an opinion based on their bias will roll with what they want to be right. 

Would not consider a 27 year old QB as young. Unless he is going to have a Tom Brady career. 

But probably not Brady like if he is learning how to line offense up and spike the ball "in pinch" at this juncture of his career.  

This is not his first rodeo. Do not dislike AJM just wish we would make a decision on QB (him or Dalton) and trade the other for much needed help. We have watched many of very talented players walk lately and could use more depth.

Before you point out that he is depth, would add that I think Driskell is a fine back up and obviously the coaches like him as well carrying him on 53 last year. Marvin rarely does that and he is NFL young at age of 24. 

Yet do agree with you that most of us may be overreacting. But we will know soon enough because the season is almost upon us. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I finally had a chance to watch the game last night. I thought the starting offense look ok, they seem to to be insync. Sure there were some bad moments. Red Zone, maybe a little concerned but maybe we are not putting stuff on tape. It seemed pretty generic to me. We haven't even looked for Eifert or Boyd. We just toss it up to Green in the corner.
Defense I thought would be spectacular but I am really concerned about players just going in for the kill and not actually wrapping up. One play I remember is Russell hitting a Wr at the line and didn't wrap up and the guy ended gaining another 6 yards which eventually lead to a TD.
I stand by my earlier statement Elliot will be our kicker. Guy looks so fluid kicking.
Players that stood out to me.
1) Vigil - guy is a smart, nose for the ball LBer!
2) Hopkins - Zietler who?
3) Malone - Pretty reliable hands and gets seperation
4) C. Smith - How the hell this guy couldn't make in Jacksonville is confusing??
5) Hill - I know it's do or die for him but he isn't dancing and getting good yardage.
There's more but time is short.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:51 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would not consider a 27 year old QB as young. Unless he is going to have a Tom Brady career. 

But probably not Brady like if he is learning how to line offense up and spike the ball "in pinch" at this juncture of his career.  

This is not his first rodeo. Do not dislike AJM just wish we would make a decision on QB (him or Dalton) and trade the other for much needed help. We have watched many of very talented players walk lately and could use more depth.

Before you point out that he is depth, would add that I think Driskell is a fine back up and obviously the coaches like him as well carrying him on 53 last year. Marvin rarely does that and he is NFL young at age of 24. 

Yet do agree with you that most of us may be overreacting. But we will know soon enough because the season is almost upon us. 
I don't think there is any decision to be made who our QB is, we already made it and I think that is the correct decision. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:42 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yeah for now, call me an eternal optimist haha  Mellow

I'm with you though, I'll wait until after the next couple exhibition games before a final prediction. We looked absolutely horrific during the 2011 preseason (I predicted 3 wins and a first overall pick after that) and somehow we shocked the world and made the playoffs. And in 2015, I thought we looked pretty damn sad as well (especially in the dress rehearsal against Tampa). I predicted 9 wins at best... I think in 2012 I predicted 10 wins and I know I predicted 11 wins in 2013. I can't remember 2014... Last year I said a minim of 10 (whoops).

So bottom line, my prediction could be entirely wrong again. In fact I expect it to be... I just hope the win total is north of my current prediction.

Being 15 years old when the Bengals came to town, and being a fan since that NFL birth, I can say 2 things I've learned about being a Bengal fan:  

1. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

2. Sooooo glad I switched from a Browns fan to a Bengals fan in 1968!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 12:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think there is any decision to be made who our QB is, we already made it and I think that is the correct decision. 

I do as well. But either way I am for trading the other

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:29 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The 45 yard FG in week one went through the top of the upright with good velocity stinging the net. 

We were thinking it could have been good from 65 yards even. 

That's strong. Good lord. However, not many coaches would attempt a 65 yardarm. Wait....?

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Andre has lost his spot and is now considered a back up Tackle, according to Hobson

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I think Andre has minimal value and was an effort to mask failure. Once he is done here, titty max will be done in the NFL. Hope he realizes and uses that as motivation.

Reply/Quote