Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
La’el Collins Torn MCL and ACL. What’s the Plan?
Another option is to kick Cappa to RT and move Sharping to RG. Sharping has a decent career PFF grade and Cappa could probably make the move to RT for the rest of the season considering how solid and smart he is.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 02:05 PM)Science Friction Wrote: No. I just look at the grades of the PFF professors. They do the focusing for a living and know what to look for more than you or I do.

Well, to be fair...they don't. PFF analysts are part time, and aren't paid very well to boot. Most of them are college aged folks looking for a little extra cash. They are grading film using an Excel sheet are their rubric and receive little to no training beforehand. PFF does obviously have permanent employees, but they aren't the ones doing the grades. It's funny, in their job posting for their football analysts, they quite literally say "if you're doing this job for financial gain, the role is not for you." 

I know a guy who worked for them for a little bit and he didn't have great things to say about it. I've mentioned the story a few times on here, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they know more than the average fan. Most of the analysts are average fans. PFF's bread and butter is their data collection, not their grades. 
Reply/Quote
Prince
Reply/Quote
I think (hope really) Adenji will fill in with little to no drop off. He will have Cappa next to him and probably Hurst / Wilcox chipping and helping. He’s been decent as our swing tackle this year and won’t have a subpar player playing next to him. Collins is a good run blocker, we will miss that..but if they gameplan around it and help the guy out..I think we will be okay.
Reply/Quote
The middle's solidified for the first time in a long time, I wouldn’t be changing that. Next best RT option up.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 05:37 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Well, to be fair...they don't. PFF analysts are part time, and aren't paid very well to boot. Most of them are college aged folks looking for a little extra cash. They are grading film using an Excel sheet are their rubric and receive little to no training beforehand. PFF does obviously have permanent employees, but they aren't the ones doing the grades. It's funny, in their job posting for their football analysts, they quite literally say "if you're doing this job for financial gain, the role is not for you." 

I know a guy who worked for them for a little bit and he didn't have great things to say about it. I've mentioned the story a few times on here, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they know more than the average fan. Most of the analysts are average fans. PFF's bread and butter is their data collection, not their grades. 

Thanks for clarifying. I figured they had better credentials than that.

Maybe Adeniji is actually a stud after all. Hoping so. 

Liscow said they scored him with eight losses in pass blocking , not  resulting in pressures , primarily because Burrow got rid of the ball so quickly. 
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 06:01 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Thanks for clarifying. I figured they had better credentials than that.

Maybe Adeniji is actually a stud after all. Hoping so. 

Liscow said they scored him with eight losses in pass blocking , not  resulting in pressures , primarily because Burrow got rid of the ball so quickly. 

Yep. I don’t want to say they are completely useless, to be fair. A group of fans who care enough about football to do some side grading are probably more knowledgeable than the every day casual fan, but there are several people on this board that could likely talk circles around some of their analysts.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 03:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's not about desire. A career LT can't just play RT. It's a change.

One would have to change positions and I’m more comfortable with Whit switching because he’s just got more natural talent at the position

With all this said, no one should take this as me thinking this is gonna happen

Dude retired for a reason and when he retired everyone thought Rams would be SB contenders so he obviously didn’t care about winning or the weather in LA
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Next man up. I’m playing Adeniji at RT and moving on. This is his shot. He has been here all year knows the offense and has earned this opportunity.
Reply/Quote
Adeniji has been playing decent at Tackle. Roll with him. Too bad about La'el's injury, but it isn't going to stop us from our run at
a Super Bowl win thank God. Should add a guy though and don't know who is out there?
Reply/Quote
Interesting how MNF had this as the 2nd major headline tonight, sandwiched in between the mid-season firing of the Denver coach and Tua's second concussion. The commentator considered it a big loss, stating that Collins has been getting better and better as the season progressed.

Losing one's right tackle is a big deal. Maybe not as big a deal as last year, when the loss of the RT on an already poor line cascaded into a disaster of a line, with 19 sacks in the playoffs and Super Bowl, with innumerable pressures. I hope Adeniji is ready to step into the shoes of one of the big free-agent signings.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 10:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adeniji has been playing decent at Tackle. Roll with him. Too bad about La'el's injury, but it isn't going to stop us from our run at
a Super Bowl win thank God. Should add a guy though and don't know who is out there?

Yeah, it'll be Adeniji.  After that, either Prince or Cochran come up for depth. Not much out there and OTC shows we only have like 2.11M to use and as others have mentioned you'd be playing a guy with no chemistry with the team.  That shouldn't stop you from signing insurance but would a vet sign to be a backup?

Not sure if Daryl Williams finally signs for a few games but he would be plan A.  I'd like to believe Cincy is looked at as a contender he could bring chase with.  Whit is a pipe dream as others have mentioned, and Spain is slightly more likely.  If it isn't Prince I'd be surprised.  
Reply/Quote
FWIW, I would not count on elevations from the PS because of this injury. Most weeks, Smith and Carman have been healthy inactives. We usually have 8 active OL guys on game day. 7 of them are healthy. Both Smith and Carman have some experience at tackle, though Carman's is in college. If one is active, we are back at 8.

I doubt we elevate a guy from the PS if he is not gonna be active.

I also question if we make a vet signing. Spotrac has us $200k under (OTC at $2.1). If we only have room for 1 move (which may not be true) I am not sure we'd make that move while there is still a risk of losing another guy who is more indespendible/where we do need to make a move (BJ Hill another corner, another DE, etc).

Though if there is a snowball's chance of getting Whit here, and in shape enough to play, I'd be willing to roll the dice.

For now:
1. Adeniji
2. Smith
3. Sharping/Carman/Prince
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 01:26 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, I would not count on elevations from the PS because of this injury.  Most weeks, Smith and Carman have been healthy inactives. We usually have 8 active OL guys on game day. 7 of them are healthy. Both Smith and Carman have some experience at tackle, though Carman's is in college. If one is active, we are back at 8.

I doubt we elevate a guy from the PS if he is not gonna be active.

I also question if we make a vet signing. Spotrac has us $200k under (OTC at $2.1). If we only have room for 1 move (which may not be true) I am not sure we'd make that move while there is still a risk of losing another guy who is more indespendible/where we do need to make a move (BJ Hill  another corner, another DE, etc).

Though if there is a snowball's chance of getting Whit here, and in shape enough to play, I'd be willing to roll the dice.

For now:
1. Adeniji
2. Smith
3. Sharping/Carman/Prince

What vet is out there worth signing?
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 05:26 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Another option is to kick Cappa to RT and move Sharping to RG.  Sharping has a decent career PFF grade and Cappa could probably make the move to RT for the rest of the season considering how solid and smart he is.

I love me some Cappa, but he's a guard for a reason. Guard and Tackle aren't even close to being the same thing. A tackle who is used to playing in space would be more likely to make the switch to guard where you are playing in a phone booth as they say, than a guard moving to tackle. We have Adeniji for a reason. We'll roll with him, and if it gets to be too much for him we can bring in Scharping as a 6th lineman to help him out. At least this is happening on the right side instead of on Joe's blind side. He can see the pressure coming.
Reply/Quote
Do not move anybody around. Losing your starting RT sucks, but LT-LG-C-RG are still in tact and have been playing very well as a group. No sense in disrupting that by playing musical chairs.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Not to mention the message it would send to the backups like Adeniji that the team has no faith in them.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 06:45 PM)Housh Wrote: One would have to change positions and I’m more comfortable with Whit switching because he’s just got more natural talent at the position

With all this said, no one should take this as me thinking this is gonna happen

Dude retired for a reason and when he retired everyone thought Rams would be SB contenders so he obviously didn’t care about winning or the weather in LA

Big Whit has acknowledged that he is 1-2 games off from being the winningest offensive lineman of all time, and has given thought of going to another team to get that record, because it is one of the records that will stand for some time! I don't think him coming to the Bengals will happen, but he has given thought to a return!
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 10:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not to mention the message it would send to the backups like Adeniji that the team has no faith in them.

Or it could send the obvious message. "You're backups"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 12:44 PM)kissfan4 Wrote: Big Whit has acknowledged that he is 1-2 games off from being the winningest offensive lineman of all time, and has given thought of going to another team to get that record, because it is one of the records that will stand for some time! I don't think him coming to the Bengals will happen, but he has given thought to a return!

He is in shape but can’t be near football shape.

That said, Whit at 70% > most other options at 100%.

I’m down.
Reply/Quote