Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
La’el Collins Torn MCL and ACL. What’s the Plan?
(12-27-2022, 05:27 PM)pally Wrote: Something I know I didn't realize, unlike most back-ups Adeniji practices with the first team every Wed due to Collins's veteran rest day.  This should help him as he moves to the starting lineup

This is a big deal no doubt Pally, forgot about that with all of La'el's rest days Adeniji should have great chemistry already with 
the starting OL. 

(12-27-2022, 05:39 PM)pally Wrote:

I trust them now. Or at least much better than I ever have...
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 03:53 PM)TheFan Wrote: Trade deadline is long over. The only hope is LA decides to cut him for us, for no reason, and then every other teams passes on him in waivers, again for no reason. 

I would like to be proven wrong but I don't see any way that he could make it to us this year. 

Ah  yes. Brain fart. Thanks for the reminder. 
Reply/Quote
Realistically, who are we going with as Adeniji’s backup? Smith? Carman?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 11:42 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Realistically, who are we going with as Adeniji’s backup? Smith? Carman?

I'd imagine they'll promote Prince off the PS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 08:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a big deal no doubt Pally, forgot about that with all of La'el's rest days Adeniji should have great chemistry already with 
the starting OL. 

I trust them now. Or at least much better than I ever have...

Taylor impresses me with his knowledge and plans because it seems like he's always two steps ahead and knows how to articulate what he's thinking.

I'm still so used to all the years of Marvin smiling and saying nothing of any substance.

I didn't even think about La'el's rest days. 

I still hope we at least bring in a backup just in case of injury because of our luck (although it has been better).

Edit: the scouting department comment does encourage me just because we went so many years of Mike controlling things and not listening to our few scouts in the draft or FA process.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 10:28 AM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: With La’el tearing both his MCL and ACL what is our plan at RT now?
I’ve read threads below about Whit maybe being interested in retiring a Bengal and chasing another ring. I’d probably take a retired Whit over Adeniji, Carman, Smith etc?

What do you all think we do about RT?

Adeniji basically gets a tryout for the next week or two.
The Bengals, if they really don't think Adeniji (or Smith) can hang, could look to convince Whitworth or Daryl Williams out of retirement and fill in the spot for the postseason push.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't see Adeniji being any worse than Collins, or Prince if necessary, for that matter. 

I also don't see them bringing in an "outsider". They have guys that have been with the team all year and Zac is the type of person to roll with what he knows. McVay would do something like bringing in a Whitworth if the sitch was flipped and a few other coaches would as well, but that's just not Zac's style. He'll go with continuity and what they've built 'in house', the entire year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 02:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't see Adeniji being any worse than Collins, or Prince if necessary, for that matter. 

I also don't see them bringing in an "outsider". They have guys that have been with the team all year and Zac is the type of person to roll with what he knows. McVay would do something like bringing in a Whitworth if the sitch was flipped and a few other coaches would as well, but that's just not Zac's style. He'll go with continuity and what they've built 'in house', the entire year. 

Might be a big reason why the players seem to love him. Loyalty as much as you can get in this business, and does things like sending Mitchell Wilcox out for the coin toss in Tampa, and Ted Karras in New England.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 11:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine they'll promote Prince off the PS

That would be my thoughts as well.  Prince actually gets good push in the running game, might be good to have around for jumbo sets.  It's just in pass pro where he gets confused and doesn't know who he's supposed to block.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 01:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Adeniji basically gets a tryout for the next week or two.
The Bengals, if they really don't think Adeniji (or Smith) can hang, could look to convince Whitworth or Daryl Williams out of retirement and fill in the spot for the postseason push.

Adeniji will get first shot. 

I'd imagine Smith will be the backup and active game day. Both he and Carman are usually inactive, as we only go with 8 active OL on gameday. We are one short. It will be likely be Smith or Carman. 

We don't really need Prince in that scenario. Now, if for some reason we don't like/have confidence in Smith/Carman, or really did not like Sharping's penalties & he gets demoted, or really like what Prince does in Jumbo more than the others, then Prince gets elevated. But we won't elevate him if he is not gonna play. And there are 2 OL guys agead of him on the depth chart who are usually inactive.

Adeniji to start. Smith active. If Smith is not active, then Carman. If Prince is called up & active over those guys, it is a huge 'no confidence' vote in the current state of their development. 
Reply/Quote
If we do reach out to Whitworth, and he is in good shape, how about we move Jonah to RT and plug in Whit at LT? Just a thought, Jonah is younger and played a lot on the right side in college, while Whit has never played there at all and is less likely to be amenable to a move. Jonah has had a lot of whiffs blocking, maybe he'll do better on the right side where Burrow can at least see who's coming better.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 04:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Adeniji will get first shot. 

I'd imagine Smith will be the backup and active game day. Both he and Carman are usually inactive, as we only go with 8 active OL on gameday. We are one short. It will be likely be Smith or Carman. 

We don't really need Prince in that scenario. Now, if for some reason we don't like/have confidence in Smith/Carman, or really did not like Sharping's penalties & he gets demoted, or really like what Prince does in Jumbo more than the others, then Prince gets elevated. But we won't elevate him if he is not gonna play. And there are 2 OL guys agead of him on the depth chart who are usually inactive.

Adeniji to start. Smith active. If Smith is not active, then Carman. If Prince is called up & active over those guys, it is a huge 'no confidence' vote in the current state of their development. 

Prince showed me enough last season such that I don't want to see him take a snap on the Bengals again.
He was downright terrible in pass protection.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 03:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be my thoughts as well.  Prince actually gets good push in the running game, might be good to have around for jumbo sets.  It's just in pass pro where he gets confused and doesn't know who he's supposed to block.

I think he did some jumbo sets last year and did pretty good.  Has to be better than Max and his yellow flag brigade.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think he did some jumbo sets last year and did pretty good.  Has to be better that Max and his yellow flag brigade.

Right, and I think that part of Isaiah's problems in pass pro were not understanding/bad communications on a dysfunctional C/RG combo last season. Prince is a developmental project, for sure, but in time he could prove to be worthy of a roster spot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 07:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, and I think that part of Isaiah's problems in pass pro were not understanding/bad communications on a dysfunctional C/RG combo last season. Prince is a developmental project, for sure, but in time he could prove to be worthy of a roster spot.

I hope he does improve with NFL coaching.  I am also a big Ohio State Buckeye fan, and when Prince was playing he was just only average in pass blocking.  I think he's too big and has trouble finding his balance and leverage on good DE/ OLBs.  Usually, when the Buckeye would take a big sack, it was b/c Prince missed his block.  His run blocking was about a B+ grade and he did well in that area. 
Reply/Quote
There are 2 offensive tackles on the practice squad. Isiah Prince and Devin Cochran. We keep assuming the Prince is higher ranked than Cochran because of his experience but we don’t know that. It is unlikely neither will be signed to the 53 just yet. One of them will be elevated from the practice squad for game day

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 04:41 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: If we do reach out to Whitworth, and he is in good shape, how about we move Jonah to RT and plug in Whit at LT? Just a thought, Jonah is younger and played a lot on the right side in college, while Whit has never played there at all and is less likely to be amenable to a move. Jonah has had a lot of whiffs blocking, maybe he'll do better on the right side where Burrow can at least see who's coming better.

It's not happening.....
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 04:41 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: If we do reach out to Whitworth, and he is in good shape, how about we move Jonah to RT and plug in Whit at LT? Just a thought, Jonah is younger and played a lot on the right side in college, while Whit has never played there at all and is less likely to be amenable to a move. Jonah has had a lot of whiffs blocking, maybe he'll do better on the right side where Burrow can at least see who's coming better.

Moving your LT to RT right at the end of the season before the playoffs start is a terrible idea. Not that it matters because Whit isn't happening. Adeniji is our RT for the rest of the season. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Lots of folks were good with Adeniji/Sharping. One thing I've always complained about concerning the Bengals FO is they don't like to make In-season signing too often.

Devil's Advocate tells me if we would have ponied up for Daryl Williams/Bulaga when LC went down and Ereck Flowers/Trey Hopkins when Kappa went down; we'd be hoisting the Lombardi in about 2 weeks.

I do not bring this up from a position of hindsight. I remember having "discussions" with folks about it as it were happening. I even mentioned the "unthinkable" of cutting Sharping if we needed the loot.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
12 mill for Collins is right around his value if he’s healthy.

Coming off a total knee destruction I’d have to cut him. I just can’t see us hoping he comes back healthy. I’d love to keep him around but for less money. History says Mike Brown is going to honor the full contract so i don’t expect him to get cut. But that was before we made 2 AFCCG. The iron is hot we need to strike
-Housh
Reply/Quote