Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La El Collins looks good
That RT spot is going to be hotly contested. JMHO. It’s really 3 guys in survival mode. Collins in shape could be a factor

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Good to see - may the best man win.... and regardless Bengals will have depth in case an injury happens.
[Image: 1500x500]
(05-24-2023, 03:57 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Good to see - may the best man win.... and regardless Bengals will have depth in case an injury happens.

And even whoever I’d named starter is going to have zero breathing room so you’d better bring it each week
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Maybe it's because he don't have pads on, but Collins looks slimmer and fitter than years prior.
He was listed at 320 lbs last year, definitely looks lighter than that right now.

It will be VERY interesting if he's ready to come back in Sept or early Oct.
Would Jonah go to the bench if Collins is looking fine given Collins is signed through 2024?
Would they play Jonah regardless given he's getting $12.6 mill guaranteed?
Would they actually split reps in games like Bengals did with Evan Mathis and Nate Livings back in the day?

And that's not even mentioning Jackson Carman or Cody Ford, who also could push both Jonah and Collins out of that RT spot.
With that said, it's an uphill climb for Carman and especially Ford to get that starting RT spot over Jonah and Collins, I think.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-24-2023, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe it's because he don't have pads on, but Collins looks slimmer and fitter than years prior.
He was listed at 320 lbs last year, definitely looks lighter than that right now.

Would Jonah go to the bench if Collins is looking fine given Collins is signed through 2024?
Would they actually split reps in games like Bengals did with Evan Mathis and Nate Livings back in the day?

And that's not even mentioning Jackson Carman or Cody Ford, who also could push both Jonah and Collins out of that RT spot.
With that said, it's an uphill climb for Carman and especially Ford to get that starting RT spot over Jonah and Collins, I think.

Aren’t they both on the last year of their deals?
(05-24-2023, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe it's because he don't have pads on, but Collins looks slimmer and fitter than years prior.

Collins has 3 full months to get ready. He looks way ahead of schedule. A recovered in great shape Collins give me all day long for my starting RT

(05-24-2023, 04:27 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Aren’t they both on the last year of their deals?

Collins has another year.

(05-24-2023, 04:27 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Aren’t they both on the last year of their deals?

Who? 

Jonah - through 2023
Collins - through 2024
Carman - through 2024
Ford - through 2023
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

With Ford's ability to play both Guard and Tackle, I would think that his mission is to secure a spot on the 53 by displacing Hakeem Adeneji from the roster.  My guess that the real battle is between Williams and Carman, with the winner starting at RT, and the other is the swing Tackle, until Collins becomes fully cleared to play and further muddies the water.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Move the loser to LG.

Of course, injuries can always happen as well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(05-24-2023, 03:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That RT spot is going to be hotly contested. JMHO. It’s really 3 guys in survival mode. Collins in shape could be a factor

Wow, didn't expect him to look that good this early at all. Shocked

Great to see, La'el could actually start the opener, still a long time before then. This blew my mind. Mellow
(05-24-2023, 05:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Move the loser to LG.

No way Frank Booth allows that. Volson will have a huge year

(05-24-2023, 05:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No way Frank Booth allows that. Volson will have a huge year

Lol, seriously though, I do think Volson could make a monster leap this year. The more competition the better, but I think the coaches are
happy with Volson at LG. The fight is on for RT, every other starting spot is taken IMO.

Honestly expecting it to be between Carman and Jonah even though La'el is looking so good, so early. That was a terrible injury. Still cannot
believe he looks that good.
(05-24-2023, 04:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who? 

Jonah - through 2023
Collins - through 2024
Carman - through 2024
Ford - through 2023

I thought Collins signed a 2 year deal last year. Guess I remember wrong
(05-24-2023, 05:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Move the loser to LG.

A healthy LC at LG.......

I think we all expect a big jump from Volson, but due to his age it might not be as pronounced as we hope.

Hopefully his back had time to heal
-Housh
(05-24-2023, 06:32 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I thought Collins signed a 2 year deal last year. Guess I remember wrong

According to these guys, it was a 3 year deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/lael-collins-17403/#:~:text=2019%2D2024&text=La'el%20Collins%20signed%20a%202%20year%2C%20%2415%2C400%2C000%20contract%20with,average%20annual%20salary%20of%20%247%2C700%2C000.

I'll say this, he did look relatively comfortable in his lateral movement in that video.  However, he likely still has a long way to go.  It's easy to look good in gym clothes during a non-contact drill. Hopefully he can be the "injury insurance policy" this year, in case we need a strong veteran off the bench down the stretch.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-24-2023, 06:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: A healthy LC at LG.......

I think we all expect a big jump from Volson, but due to his age it might not be as pronounced as we hope.

Regardless of age don’t you think players take a nice jump their second year? Especially an OL guy?

(05-24-2023, 06:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: A healthy LC at LG.......

Based upon the articles written about him, it seems to me that the coaches see him as the LG going forward.  From my own perspective of watching him develop from getting thrown straight into the fire as a rookie, and how he developed into a very competent, if not solid player as the season wore on, I think that he's definitely taking that big step forward this year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Volson had a rough start to the season (as did everyone else - lack of snaps in preseason showed) but improved all season and by season's end he was at NFL average level consistently and flashing above average. And this was with the Tackle next to him getting beat constantly to the inside which really makes a Guard's job harder. Volson is the LG.