Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.14 Average
La'el Collins is Done
(04-22-2023, 05:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tell me you are joking.  Joe Burrow tore all those as well, it is not uncommon.  Just because we didnt know at the time means nothing.

Just yesterday LC claimed he will be back by opening day.  I very seriously doubt that, but of course he can be back before the playoffs.  

Other than the OP of this thread, where have you read he will miss the entire season?

I guess I’m speaking
More on what he SHOULD do.

If i were him I’d just completely sell out to have a good 2024-2025.

He comes back in 2023-2024 and blows that knee out again then his career is probably done.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 05:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tell me you are joking.  Joe Burrow tore all those as well, it is not uncommon.  Just because we didnt know at the time means nothing.

Just yesterday LC claimed he will be back by opening day.  I very seriously doubt that, but of course he can be back before the playoffs.  

Other than the OP of this thread, where have you read he will miss the entire season?

Lineman don't cut like skill guys. There's some chance he could play Game 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 09:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lineman don't cut like skill guys. There's some chance he could play Game 1.

I agree he won’t be too far away from the start of next season but the big fellas also have a lot of stress going through the knee with anchoring, pushing etc that the line guys do. Big man as well so a major knee is a huge concern. Hopefully for him and us he gets back soundly. 
Reply/Quote
Delusion in the thread

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 09:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lineman don't cut like skill guys. There's some chance he could play Game 1.

Skill guys are not over 300 pounds either.  We witnessed how awful Hopkins was when he rushed back.  Im not sure we get the value we want out of Jonah and he isnt starting RT.  Give La'el half the season to get 100% healthy with the knee and back.  He will be an outstanding depth piece for OG or RT.  He could be a very affordable starter in 2024.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I do think we need to draft a RT. That's why I think all the talk of drafting a TE in rd1 doesn't make sense to me.

RIGGHHHHTTTTTT - who wants to lose ANOTHER playoff game because of the offensive line! I hope Bengals fans are not being duped into the idea of drafting more weapons! LOL 

Then we'll spend the next few months asking how are defenses going to stop Mixon, Boyd, Higgins, Chase, A NEW TE, Irv Smith - and the answer will be as it always was, they will stop those weapons by destroying the offensive line! 

I say Draft 7 offensive linemen LOL
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:07 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: RIGGHHHHTTTTTT - who wants to lose ANOTHER playoff game because of the offensive line! I hope Bengals fans are not being duped into the idea of drafting more weapons! LOL 

Then we'll spend the next few months asking how are defenses going to stop Mixon, Boyd, Higgins, Chase, A NEW TE, Irv Smith - and the answer will be as it always was, they will stop those weapons by destroying the offensive line! 

I say Draft 7 offensive linemen LOL

Losing 3 starters in 3 weeks is definitely the exception, no need to overreact.  Everyone knows we beat KC if we had our oline.  If we keep Jonah we have an even more solid oline.

I have been in on taking Wright since the beginning but his big ass seems to be skyrocketing up the draft board.  Any OT we take will likely be sitting behind Jonah for a year.  That might not be a terrible situation.  If Jonah stays, an OG like Torrence or Avila have a much better chance of beating out Volson than any OT we could probably draft has of taking RT. 

We dont use the TE enough to truly make it a priority position, but they may like having the continuity of a Mayer for 4-5 years. Callahan probably loves Kincaid.  It is very likely they take a CB and many wont be as excited.

Reply/Quote
We need to consider trading up for Tennessee's OT. Jonah, our second, and a pick next year

Bengals will need to figure out the secondary next FA/draft.

People stay with the mentality of not picking high and bawk at "reaching for OL" in the draft but then ***** and moan when the O line costs us playoff games
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:22 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: We need to consider trading up for Tennessee's OT.  Jonah, our second, and a pick next year

Bengals will need to figure out the secondary next FA/draft.

People stay with the mentality of not picking high and bawk at  "reaching for OL" in the draft but then ***** and moan when the O line costs us playoff games

Interesting, so high are you willing to trade up?  Kiper has him going #9 to the Bears who also need a RT.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 10:41 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Mans tore his ACL, PCL, and MCL.

So our opitions at RT are:

1. A disgruntled Jonah Williams.
2. Asskson Carman.
3.Hakeem Assdeniji.
4. Cody Ford.

RT is now a NEED this draft.

Who cares if he's "disgruntled?"  Bengals to Jonah:

"Here's your contract."  
"Here's your locker."
"Get your ass over to right tackle."

He's in a contract year.  If he wants to get paid by someone in 2024, he will play well wherever Pollack puts him. Jonah needs to shut up and concentrate on beating out Carman (and Collins when he returns).
Reply/Quote
Things I (think I) believe:
1) Jonah Williams is the starting RT as long as he's on the roster
2) Cody Ford will make the roster. Reports of Bengals liking him in the leadup to the 2019 draft mixed with his versatile experience tells me they think he'll be better option over Adeniji and Smith.
3) Bengals won't draft an OT early unless either A) Jonah Williams is traded, or B) they choose to roll with 10 OL. From what I recall though, they typically keep just 9 OL (4 OT, 3 OG, 2 OC) since they usually have a couple guys who can play multiple positions. Between Karras, Carman, Ford, Adeniji, and Hill, they'll have a some position-versatile guys, so I think they'll roll with 9 OL.
4) If an OT is not taken in the Top 100, I envision the starting RT will be one of Jonah, Carman, or Ford. Even if an OT is drafted earlier than that, that draft pick still may not win the starting job.
5) Jonah won't be traded unless they get a 4th rounder or better as trade compensation.

In just a few days, we'll finally get to put this draft debate to rest.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I'm not a medical professional by any stretch, but I remember reading somewhere that every pound of bodyweight is equal to 4 pound of pressure on each knee.  If you thought La'el had a tough time kick sliding to seal the edge in pass pro before, just wait until he's using a rebuilt knee.

Honestly, if I were the one in charge of the Bengals personnel decisions, I would just give La'el his injury settlement, thank him for his services and wish him farewell.  I would also hopefully deal Williams to any team needing a functional LT, and is willing to accept his cap hit during the course of the draft.  I would plan on Carman and Ford battling it out for the RT/Swing Tackle spots, send Adeneji and Smith down the road, and draft the permanent RT of the future in the 1st round.

But like I said, that's just what I would do if I called the shots.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not a medical professional by any stretch, but I remember reading somewhere that every pound of bodyweight is equal to 4 pound of pressure on each knee.  If you thought La'el had a tough time kick sliding to seal the edge in pass pro before, just wait until he's using a rebuilt knee.

Honestly, if I were the one in charge of the Bengals personnel decisions, I would just give La'el his injury settlement, thank him for his services and wish him farewell.  I would also hopefully deal Williams to any team needing a functional LT, and is willing to accept his cap hit during the course of the draft.  I would plan on Carman and Ford battling it out for the RT/Swing Tackle spots, send Adeneji and Smith down the road, and draft the permanent RT of the future in the 1st round.

For the most part I agree, but there's a part of my brain that says a team can't have enough OTs. One thing about rehabbing an injury like this is the fact that most of the time the player is really grinding and working hard to get back. If a guy has his head down and is working his ass off it usually produces good things. 

I read an article yesterday that suggested that he thinks he can be ready for week 1. I'm sort of doubting that timeline. I think he will get PUP-ed, which isn't a bad idea imo. We may need a proven functional RT come mid-season. We tend to sustain a lot of injuries on the O-line during the course of a season. I want them to have as many 'glass eaters" as possible during this JB-Chase-Higgy window. We may actually win a damn SB before we kill over.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:34 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: For the most part I agree, but there's a part of my brain that says a team can't have enough OTs. One thing about rehabbing an injury like this is the fact that most of the time the player is really grinding and working hard to get back. If a guy has his head down and is working his ass off it usually produces good things. 

I read an article yesterday that suggested that he thinks he can be ready for week 1. I'm sort of doubting that timeline. I think he will get PUP-ed, which isn't a bad idea imo. We may need a proven functional RT come mid-season. We tend to sustain a lot of injuries on the O-line during the course of a season. I want them to have as many 'glass eaters" as possible during this JB-Chase-Higgy window. We may actually win a damn SB before we kill over.  Cool

Typically, I would agree with you on that statement.  However, when you look at the situation through the same lens as Leonard Leap in post #17, you realize that the Bengals "Tackle garage" is full of cars, but most of them are junkers that are completely upside down when it comes to their trade in value compared to what is still owed on them.

If La'el Collins was a car, he'd be on a buy here-pay here lot with a salvage title..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not a medical professional by any stretch, but I remember reading somewhere that every pound of bodyweight is equal to 4 pound of pressure on each knee.  If you thought La'el had a tough time kick sliding to seal the edge in pass pro before, just wait until he's using a rebuilt knee.

Would do you have a first-round grade on for RT who is likely to be there at 28, assuming Wright is gone by then?
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: Would do you have a first-round grade on for RT who is likely to be there at 28, assuming Wright is gone by then?

That doesn't matter.  If our man is gone, we then go BPA that fits team need/plan, or accept a trade down for more draft capital.  As mentioned by a few others, there are likely a handful of OT prospects that are capable of starting at RT this season.  Maybe not "day 1" starters, but definitely guys that could grow into the role as the season progressed.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 02:03 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Interesting, so high are you willing to trade up?  Kiper has him going #9 to the Bears who also need a RT.

Tee.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 10:41 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Mans tore his ACL, PCL, and MCL.

So our opitions at RT are:

1. A disgruntled Jonah Williams.
2. Asskson Carman.
3.Hakeem Assdeniji.
4. Cody Ford.

RT is now a NEED this draft.

ROT has always been the #1 priority in this draft.  Darnell Wright, Anton Harrison, or Dawand Jones should be our #1 

Here's my 4-round mock via pff.
1) Anton Harrison OT- Oklahoma
2) Sam LaPorta TE- Iowa
3) Jordan Battle SS- Alabama
4) Jaylon Jones CB- Texas AM
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: Would do you have a first-round grade on for RT who is likely to be there at 28, assuming Wright is gone by then?

I was listening to ken broo on wlw this morning. One of his guests was from pff, I forget his name and he’s moving on to some thing shortly. His pick at 28 is Anton Harrison. Cited his pass protection for the pick, fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

I’m 1000% lock step here but if they don’t have a solid pick move to Forbes . Now if a premier TE is there I’d go there. But I think when 28 comes the premier TE’s are gone. If Harrison or equivalent is there I can see it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote